• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPR's Top 50 Albums of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

Top 10:

#. Album - Title
1. Solange - A Seat At The Table
2. Beyoncé - Lemonade
3. David Bowie - Blackstar
4. Frank Ocean - Blonde
5. Bon Iver - 22, A Million
6. Barbara Hannigan/Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra/Andris Nelsons - let me tell you (Abrahamsen)
7. Anderson .Paak - Malibu
8. Car Seat Headrest - Teens Of Denial
9. Miranda Lambert - The Weight Of These Wings
10. Chance The Rapper - Coloring Book

Full List

Now that's a list I can get down with.

Necrovex

Any must listen to pop albums? I've been out of the loop of music for this whole year due to my work. Appreciate to see this thread!

kazinova

I'm confused, their webpage must be messing up, Metallica doesn't show up for some reason. Anyone else getting the same error?

no pablo = bad list.

I'm confused, their webpage must be messing up, Metallica doesn't show up for some reason. Anyone else getting the same error?

nJ3LqdW.gif

The Knowles Sisters are icons. So is Miranda Lambert. Poor GRIMES.

Any must listen to pop albums? I've been out of the loop of music for this whole year due to my work. Appreciate to see this thread!

Lemonade, Dangerous Woman by Ariana Grande, and Ex'ACT by EXO!

AND SIDE B BY CRJ

But . . . Neither is all that good. And I like Childish Gambino and this album's influences.

*shrugs* they're both in my top 10, and I'm actually someone who disliked most of Childish Gambino's earlier stuff, despite thinking Donald Glover is a real great dude.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Doesn't look like there's a single metal album on the whole list. Kind of strange since NPR occasionally spotlights some great metal bands.

NandoGip

But . . . Neither is all that good. And I like Childish Gambino and this album's influences.

I liked Kanye's album but some of his choices on lyrics really were jarring and knocked the album down a few pegs. Looking back, I can see why there the release was so odd. He released an unfinished and unrefined album. It was still one of my favorites, but the flaws keep it the top albums of the year discussions.

Childish Gambino's album was great but I haven't fully listened to it enough times to have a strong opinion. I'd say that I like his new direction, but I wouldn't put it in the top 10 of the year either.

KingKong

It blows my mind how many top lists don't have Danny Browns Atrocity Exhibition on them.

Sure I'm biased as it's one of my favorites of the year, but you're telling me it's not one of the 50 best albums?

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Beyoncé's album is better than Solange's, but not by much. Beyoncé's voice is much more powerful and pushes her album over the edge.

Catvoca

Banned
All these motherfuckers sleeping on Danny Brown

Really doe is 19 on their best songs list. I actually might like the albums represented on that list better than the ones here

Both fine lists overall even if they didn't include some of my favs. The blurbs are well written too.

LionPride

Banned
why the hell is Lemonade up there? It's a good album, but not as good as Malibu or Blonde. Seat At The Table being one is something I won't argue against. My god that Solange album is god like

jackal27

Banned
2016 marks 10 years since I started following NPR's music lists every year! They've definitely helped me discover all kinds of awesome new music.

2016 marks 10 years since I started following NPR's music lists every year! They've definitely helped me discover all kinds of awesome new music.

Yeah, the NPR list has helped me broaden my tastes and listen to albums and different genres I otherwise wouldn't have listened too.

I like Chance, and saw him in concert this year, but I still don't understand why people are gushing over him like they do. IMHO, he is not a top 10 album from this year, especially when there are better albums in his genre.

For all the love that Chance gets for being creative and experimental with his sounds, Danny Brown is there pushing the boundaries of hip-hop even further with the distinct post-punk influence. I also thought the Tribe album was in a league of it's own with its production rooted in history, but also modernized; poignant and insightful lyrics; and tons of energy from each member, spitting bars like it's the early 90's.

If I had to give a top 10 . . . and I haven't listened to enough bandcamp releases, so I'm a shill for the popular stuff. . .
1.) Blackstar - Bowie
2.) We Got It From Here . . . Thank U 4 Your Service - Tribe
3.) Malibu - Anderson Paak (dude did the best features this year imo)
4.) A Moon Shaped Poo - Radiohead
5.) Wildflower - The Avalanches
6.) Attrocity Exhibition - Danny Brown
7.) Blonde - Frank Ocean
8.) Teen of Denial - Car Seat Headrest
9.) Preoccupations - Self/Titled
10.) Bon Iver - 22, A Million

Last three could be interchanged with honorable mentions . . .
Bottomless Pit - Death Grips, Untitled, Unmastered - Kendrick Lemar, Worry - Jeff Rosenstock, TLOP - Kanye (I love everything he does, so I'm biased), Amnesty - Crystal Casltes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom