• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPR's Top 50 Albums of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Any must listen to pop albums? I've been out of the loop of music for this whole year due to my work. Appreciate to see this thread!
Lemonade (Beyoncé), Anti(Rihanna), A Seat at the Table (Solange), +30mg (Cruel Youth), Lady Wood (Tove Lo) are all really good.
Coloring Book being a top album is far from an outlier-opinion. GAF's weird hate-boner for that mixtape befuddles me.
It will probably win Rap Album of the Year and be nominated for AOTY, and hopefully Gaf changes its opinion.

The Knowles Sisters are icons. So is Miranda Lambert. Poor GRIMES.

Lemonade, Dangerous Woman by Ariana Grande, and Ex'ACT by EXO!

AND SIDE B BY CRJ

Join the PopGAF thread sis, you have potential

Your username >>>>>>>>

qWxKldh.gif

Blader

why the hell is Lemonade up there? It's a good album, but not as good as Malibu or Blonde. Seat At The Table being one is something I won't argue against. My god that Solange album is god like

Malibu has a couple GREAT tracks on it, but overall I find it kind of a slog, with a lot of same-y songs.

Futureman

Had no idea until just now that Solange is Beyonce's sister.

Decent enough list. I'll have to check out some of these albums.

For the anti-Coloring Book crowd, Pitchfork just released their top 20 rap albums and it's in there as well.

Coloring Book being a top album is far from an outlier-opinion. GAF's weird hate-boner for that mixtape befuddles me.
It gets this same reaction from reddit, mu, podcasts I listen to, and other forums whenever I see it ranked high.
A lot of people love it, but a lot (including me) feel as though it's overrated.

Catvoca

Banned

It's hardly just gaf. I was on the HHH subreddit recently and a thread about Chance was also full of people saying the album is overrated. A lot of us just don't think it's that good.

Yado

Beyoncé's album is better than Solange's, but not by much. Beyoncé's voice is much more powerful and pushes her album over the edge.

Tea.
I mean you just need to watch Solange's SNL performance and watch her struggle to sing her own song to see that she's a far better writer than singer.

Servbot24

Banned
K.

I think he was asking for your top 10.
Oh. Here's a tentative 20 since I'm still trying to narrow it down

1. Huerco S - For Those of You That Never Have (And Also Those Who Have)
2. Steven Julien - Fallen
3. The Movement Trust - Asemic Swing EP
4. Marquis Hawkes - Social Housing
5. Body-San - Shining the Money Ball
6. A Tribe Called Quest - We Got It from Here
7. The Body & Full of Hell - One Day You Will Ache Like I Ache
8. Gareth Davis & Machinefabriek - Shroud Lines
9. Marcel Fengler - Kyu EP
10. Kyle Hall - From Joy
11. Jay Daniel - Broken Knowz
12. Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
13. Oranassi Pazuzu - Värähtelijä
14. Kero Kero Bonito - Bonito Generation
15. Omar S - The Best
16. Drose - Man Boy Machine
17. Stanislav Tolkachev - When You Are Not at Home
18. Trim - 1-800 Dinosaur Presents
19. Uyama Hiroto - Freeform Jazz
20. Demdike Stare - Wonderland

Oh. Here's a tentative 20 since I'm still trying to narrow it down

1. Huerco S - For Those of You That Never Have (And Also Those Who Have)
2. Steven Julien - Fallen
3. The Movement Trust - Asemic Swing EP
4. Marquis Hawkes - Social Housing
5. Body-San - Shining the Money Ball
6. A Tribe Called Quest - We Got It from Here
7. The Body & Full of Hell - One Day You Will Ache Like I Ache
8. Gareth Davis & Machinefabriek - Shroud Lines
9. Marcel Fengler - Kyu EP
10. Kyle Hall - From Joy
11. Jay Daniel - Broken Knowz
12. Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
13. Oranassi Pazuzu - Värähtelijä
14. Kero Kero Bonito - Bonito Generation
15. Omar S - The Best
16. Drose - Man Boy Machine
17. Stanislav Tolkachev - When You Are Not at Home
18. Trim - 1-800 Dinosaur Presents
19. Uyama Hiroto - Freeform Jazz
20. Demdike Stare - Wonderland

I can't be mad at this list.

Why you gotta be like that? I was hoping to like, argue with you.

cbrun44

One of the better lists I've seen so far. Great to have Anderson Paak up so high. Chance too low. And would have had Tribe near the top. But it is ok.

Meier

Disappointed Lissie didn't make their list. Malibu is my AOTY though -- Angel Olsen a little low IMO. It's probably in my top 10.

McGullive

Neo Member
i think Major Key is criminally underrated. i pretty much only listen to hip-hop but thats my favorite of the year

bomma_man

I'm kinda surprised by this too, I figure his new album was primed to be on all of these types of lists. His best album in my opinion.

I think the white boy minimalist soul thing might be played out.

Btw I'm excited to do a deep dive into your top 20, thanks.

Touche Amore's Stage Four is the most emotional i've gotten over an album this year and it's a weird #1 but it's a total "this is cathartic and an album I needed this year" for very specific reasons and it might be my #1

I feel like my musical tastes are all over the place and my top 10 would contain % of other peoples top 10, but this is a good ass top 10

It's hardly just gaf. I was on the HHH subreddit recently and a thread about Chance was also full of people saying the album is overrated. A lot of us just don't think it's that good.

who cares what wrestling fans think

Lkr

It blows my mind how many top lists don't have Danny Browns Atrocity Exhibition on them.

Sure I'm biased as it's one of my favorites of the year, but you're telling me it's not one of the 50 best albums?
Better than any thing put out by "overrated the rapper" yet that continuously makes top 10

Snagret

Another list without The Avalanches' Wildflower, and another post by me complaining about it.

So far they've been on the Guardians list...
Since I Left You is maybe my favorite album of all time, and I wouldn't say I dislike Wildflower....

...but it's not top 10 material for me. A couple good songs, a lot of meandering (and occasionally just sonically unpleasant, I'm looking at you Noisy Eater) rubbish. It was a solid swing and a miss, imo.

Meier

I'm finally remembering to listen to this Car Seat Headrest band as I've seen them mentioned a bit lately. Not doing much for me to be honest but I can see how it would appeal to some. I think I prefer lo-fi with female vocalists.

Another list without The Avalanches' Wildflower, and another post by me complaining about it.

So far they've been on the Guardians list...
The first half of that album is some classic stuff. Then everything after Zap happens and just lets the first half down. Rock vibes do not suit the Avalanches.

Mr. Doop

I'm finally remembering to listen to this Car Seat Headrest band as I've seen them mentioned a bit lately. Not doing much for me to be honest but I can see how it would appeal to some. I think I prefer lo-fi with female vocalists.

If you're ok with stuff that sounds like it was recorded on a laptop, their early albums are really good. Check out Twin Fantasy. It's super lo-fi.

I don't understand the appeal of Rihanna, and Beyonce and I'm even more perplexed by Esperanza's inclusion because Emily's D+Evolution is her worst album. Why is this shit keep popping up on these lists? That shit is pretty bad. I fuck with Esperanza pretty hard, but this new one was hitting on nothing.4

I don't really like Chance. I listened to telefone once and I think it's about a 6 or 7. I'm confused by the title though because I thought her last album was called #telefone too.

Edit: I didn't realize Tweet made an album. I'm about to listen to that right now.

Ristifer

I don't understand the appeal of Rihanna, and Beyonce and I'm even more perplexed by Esperanza's inclusion because Emily's D+Evolution is her worst album. Why is this shit keep popping up on these lists? That shit is pretty bad. I fuck with Esperanza pretty hard, but this new one was hitting on nothing.4

I don't really like Chance. I listened to telefone once and I think it's about a 6 or 7. I'm confused by the title though because I thought her last album was called #telefone too.

Edit: I didn't realize Tweet made an album. I'm about to listen to that right now.
Honestly thought I was the only one not feeling Esperanza's latest. I mean, it's not terrible or anything, but it just didn't do much for me at all. It was kinda disappointing.

I'm even more perplexed by Esperanza's inclusion because Emily's D+Evolution is her worst album. Why is this shit keep popping up on these lists? That shit is pretty bad. I fuck with Esperanza pretty hard, but this new one was hitting on nothing.4

people that don't know anything about jazz but have to include a jazz album for "diversity" even if the said album is shit and has basically nothing to do with jazz

trixx

colouring book is trash compared to acid rap imo. Nothing even compares to even the first 3 tracks of acid rap

James Blake's album was really good, also enjoyed Noname's

People will say the tone of acid rap is different and coloring book he's trying to be more positive and embrace gospel elements. But actual gospel music is just way better, his attempt is not even soulful for me it's whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom