• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia 3D Vision Review

1-D_FTW

Bit-Bit said:
Don't know if this has been posted yet. But there is now an affordable monitor made with 3D Vision in mind.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116402&Tpk=VX2265wm

It's 22in and only 250. Sounds like a steal to me. I'm currently in the process of building a new gaming rig and am going to get this monitor for my 3D gaming!

That's been out for around a year and has been fluctuating in and out of 250-300 dollars for quite a while.

The 2268 is the improved model the rest of the world received. I think it'll eventually be released in the US, they just have to move the rest of the old stock out. Viewsonic has had a webpage readied for months now:

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktop-monitors/lcd/x-series/vx2260wm301054.htm

Ydahs

So I'm going to buy the monitor and the glasses this week, but now onto a graphics card...

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D_Vision_Requirements.html

Which of the compatible gfx cards is best value for money and not overly expensive? I don't want it to only be compatible, but to run a game decently. I also don't want to spend a small fortune on one too as a new monitor is already hurting my pocket.

Minsc

Gold Member
Ydahs said:
So I'm going to buy the monitor and the glasses this week, but now onto a graphics card...

Which of the compatible gfx cards is best value for money and not overly expensive? I don't want it to only be compatible, but to run a game decently. I also don't want to spend a small fortune on one too as a new monitor is already hurting my pocket.

Well depending on what you mean by run games decently, with 3Dvision, I'd imagine you'd want to have a bear minimum of a GTX 260, preferably a 275, which still isn't going to really get the job done properly, which is why a lot of people are waiting for Fermi to deliver 3D with more power. You could just check the first few pages, it goes over the performance with a GTX 260 (+ overclocked quad core CPU), and most of the games Wollan said were running pretty well, a couple had to turn down a few options.

Of course, if Fermi really launches in two or three months, a GTX 260 or GTX 275 purchased today might be an awful investment (even if it doesn't the GTX 260 or 275 are overpriced last I checked).

Ydahs

Minsc said:
Well depending on what you mean by run games decently, with 3Dvision, I'd imagine you'd want to have a bear minimum of a GTX 260, preferably a 275, which still isn't going to really get the job done properly, which is why a lot of people are waiting for Fermi to deliver 3D with more power. You could just check the first few pages, it goes over the performance with a GTX 260 (+ overclocked quad core CPU), and most of the games Wollan said were running pretty well, a couple had to turn down a few options.

Of course, if Fermi really launches in two or three months, a GTX 260 or GTX 275 purchased today might be an awful investment (even if it doesn't the GTX 260 or 275 are overpriced last I checked).
Unfortunately even if it does come out anytime soon, I doubt I'd be able to afford it. If you don't mind, can you tell me if this PC setup is good enough for 3D gaming? Link.

I don't know, but it looks like a steal. Apparently all components are new and $870 is a really affordable price.

[Edit]
Specs:
- Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9400
- Nvidia 9800GT 1 GB
- 4 GB DDR2
- 500GB HDD

Bit-Bit

Ydahs said:
Unfortunately even if it does come out anytime soon, I doubt I'd be able to afford it. If you don't mind, can you tell me if this PC setup is good enough for 3D gaming? Link.

I don't know, but it looks like a steal. Apparently all components are new and $870 is a really affordable price.

Don't buy that. You can build one for the same price with way better specs. A really good mobo will cost you $200, an i7 920 Quad-Core will cost you another $200. You can get 6 gigs of OCz Gold DDR3 1600mhz for only $150. Another $75 for a decent power supply. Another $100 for a decent hard drive, the last thing that will cost you the most is a graphics card. If you want to be set for direct x 11 you can get one of the Radeons available right now. But since you're posting in here, you want 3D so you could wait till March and get a Fermi from Nvidia and get a way above average card for about $300.

Now you're looking at a top of the line gaming rig for about the same price as the one you linked to.

Ydahs

Bit-Bit said:
Don't buy that. You can build one for the same price with way better specs. A really good mobo will cost you $200, an i7 920 Quad-Core will cost you another $200. You can get 6 gigs of OCz Gold DDR3 1600mhz for only $150. Another $75 for a decent power supply. Another $100 for a decent hard drive, the last thing that will cost you the most is a graphics card. If you want to be set for direct x 11 you can get one of the Radeons available right now. But since you're posting in here, you want 3D so you could wait till March and get a Fermi from Nvidia and get a way above average card for about $300.

Now you're looking at a top of the line gaming rig for about the same price as the one you linked to.
Thanks, but is that pricing in Australian dollars? Australian items normally cost a lot more.

Bit-Bit

Ydahs said:
Thanks, but is that pricing in Australian dollars? Australian items normally cost a lot more.

Those are prices I pulled off of newegg.com. I use that site to build all of my client's PCs. Though the CPU price takes a little hunting to find. I think right now the average price for that kick ass CPU is about $279. But I check around a couple of places to find deals that can lower that down to $200.

Luigiv

Bit-Bit said:
Those are prices I pulled off of newegg.com. I use that site to build all of my client's PCs. Though the CPU price takes a little hunting to find. I think right now the average price for that kick ass CPU is about $279. But I check around a couple of places to find deals that can lower that down to $200.
Neweggs doesn't ship to Australia, and PC components are more expensive here (Though it's no where near as bad as things were 2 years ago). That being said, Ydahs could indeed build himself a much better rig for the same price if he shopped around.

bee

i wouldn't fancy running it on a 9800gt i know that, pretty sure it'd run out of vram due to the double resolutions with it only having 512mb

edit: oh its a 1gb card :p, aren't they gimped memory bandwidth wise though so they cant use the extra memory properly

Ydahs

Luigiv said:
Neweggs doesn't ship to Australia, and PC components are more expensive here (Though it's no where near as bad as things were 2 years ago). That being said, Ydahs could indeed build himself a much better rig for the same price if he shopped around.
Guess the best thing to do is ask in the AusGAF thread for good shopping locations.

Ydahs said:

[Edit]
Specs:
- Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9400
- Nvidia 9800GT 1 GB
- 4 GB DDR2
- 500GB HDD

No, not even close.

Minsc

Gold Member
beast786 said:
I have 8800 GTX , the site says its ok. But according to you guyz it wont work?

No one is saying that, are you happy with your framerates now? I can't imagine a 8800 GTX pulling 60fps with 3DVision in too many newer games, that is my concern when jumping to 3D.

Whatever framerate you're getting now, you'll get around 40% lower with 3DVision, so if you're playing games and enjoying just hitting 60fps, then you'll have to turn down effects and graphics options to keep that 60fps, or likewise if you're only getting closer to 30, then you'll be in real trouble.

Since you already have the card and the games, just figure out if you'd still be happy with the performance of it if it were ~40% less.

Ydahs

Minsc said:
No one is saying that, are you happy with your framerates now? I can't imagine a 8800 GTX pulling 60fps with 3DVision in too many newer games, that is my concern when jumping to 3D.

Whatever framerate you're getting now, you'll get around 40% lower with 3DVision, so if you're playing games and enjoying just hitting 60fps, then you'll have to turn down effects and graphics options to keep that 60fps, or likewise if you're only getting closer to 30, then you'll be in real trouble.

Since you already have the card and the games, just figure out if you'd still be happy with the performance of it if it were ~40% less.
Does RAM play a big role in maintaining frame rate? I mean, is there a recognizable difference between, say 2GB and 4GB or RAM or is it completely dependent on the graphics card?

EDIT:

How's this setup?
- Core i7-920 ($360 AUD)
- 896M GTX 275 ($280 AUD)
- 4 GB RAM DDR3 2000 ($150 AUD)

Is there a significant difference between the Core i5-750 and the Core i7-920? I can save myself $100 with the former.

Javaman

Minsc said:

Is that reduction based on CPU limitations or GPU fill rate? I would think it would be the former since its not really drawing any more pixels.

Minsc

Gold Member
Ydahs said:
Does RAM play a big role in maintaining frame rate? I mean, is there a recognizable difference between, say 2GB and 4GB or RAM or is it completely dependent on the graphics card?

EDIT:

How's this setup?
- Core i7-920 ($360 AUD)
- 896M GTX 275 ($280 AUD)
- 4 GB RAM DDR3 2000 ($150 AUD)

Is there a significant difference between the Core i5-750 and the Core i7-920? I can save myself $100 with the former.

You definitely want 4GB of RAM for smoother gaming performance, that's worth the money, as far as a 750 vs 920, the difference will vary game to game, generally the more multi-core aware the game the better the 920 will do, but the difference is hardly worth $100 if you're on a tight budget.

Javaman said:
Is that reduction based on CPU limitations or GPU fill rate? I would think it would be the former since its not really drawing any more pixels.

I'm not sure, but I think it's just a safe bet to figure if you want to turn on 3D vision, you will have to sacrifice about 40% framerate on average, and I'm not even happy doing that on my 5870 right now for newer games.

3dvision-1.jpg

Far_Cry_2_Benchmark_Performance.jpg

image005.png

image007.png

image009.png

l4d_benchmark.jpg

It's hard to find a really good source for benchmarks, strangely enough, but as you can clearly see, there's a price to pay if you want 3D vision gaming, and most of those benches are done on 260s or faster, so I don't know how great a 8800 GTX would be given it's quite a bit slower.

I think what it comes down to is if you're happy with 40% lower framerates, if you're playing games that are running at 100+ fps then it's not a big deal, but newer, more demanding games which don't stay over 60 would struggle a bit with 3DVision, and hopefully the new Fermi cards fix that!

Ydahs

So I just watched Avatar in 3D using RealD glasses. Looked pretty insane. Is this what I should expect using NVidia 3D Vision?

Durante

3dvision5bgm.jpg

Yeah, I got it, so here's the deal:

System specs:
Core i7 920 @ 3.5 GHz
Geforce GTX 295

Display:
Acer H5360, DLP 720p, 3000:1 Contrast
200 cm projection diagonal, 3 m distance

Impressions:

General:
- Yes, you can easily use it over prescription glasses. Yes, that does look supremely nerdy. No, I don't care.
- It's not a product for people that want everything to work out of the box with minimal configuration, for best results you need to fiddle a bit
- It's also not perfectly mature, I needed to switch my display connections for my beamer to be recognized as a 3D display
- I haven't gotten a headache, but after 4 consecutive hours of use my eyes did feel somewhat fatigued
- For my setup I can use a depth setting of ~80% without problems
- Performance wasn't an issue at all for any of the stuff I tested so far (but it better not be with a 295 at 720p!)

Movies:
I just tested some of the clips NV has up for download. Nice 3D effect, including out-of-screen. Still, I prefer games :p

Games:
Oblivion - Very nice effect after adjusting convergence, going through the grass in the rain feels like I should be wet. Buggy depth for shadows and skybox though, latter is fixed by a mod.
Audiosurf - AMAZING. Flawless, and actually improves the gameplay as well as the visuals.
Mirror's Edge - Good effect during gameplay (though not as great as I expected), story mode 3D cutscenes have annoying issues.
Portal - Great. No noticeable artifacts, depth even works correctly through multiple portals. The latter is very psychedelic. (Presumably other Source engine games work equally well)
F-Zero GX - HOLY SHIT. Nvidia probably doesn't know it, but this is the ultimate 3D Vision killer app. I played F-Zero GX in 3D for 2 hours straight and I can't wait to go back. I hope the Dolphin team fixes the shadow issue soon, then it will be perfect. I wanted to test more games today but the awesomeness of this one stopped me cold :lol

One more thing: In addition to depth, it seemed to me like you notice individual details and objects much more in 3D, and you somehow "see" more of them at the same time. It's a bit hard to explain without using words like "vivid". More game impressions may follow tomorrow. (If anyone wants a particular game tested ask, if I have I'll see what I can do)

border

Yeah, I thought Portal would be pretty insane with 3D turned on, assuming that they could get it to work right. I hadn't thought about trying Audiosurf, but I imagine that's very cool as well.

If it works with Dolphin, does it also work with other emulators of 3D systems? N64? PS2?

bee

Durante said:
F-Zero GX - HOLY SHIT. Nvidia probably doesn't know it, but this is the ultimate 3D Vision killer app. I played F-Zero GX in 3D for 2 hours straight and I can't wait to go back. I hope the Dolphin team fixes the shadow issue soon, then it will be perfect. I wanted to test more games today but the awesomeness of this one stopped me cold :lol

hehe f-zero does work extremely well doesn't it :p i posted a few pics in the dolphin thread. you should try avatar, resi 5, batman and fuel if you have them or go grab the demos

Durante

cleveridea said:
did you try fallout 3? prior poster mentioned was excellent...
That's what I just played. Works excellently, no problems at all. The pip-boy is particularly amazing if you adjust the convergence to the right level. Seems like you could just reach out and press the buttons.

XHPrime

Durante said:
Oblivion - in the rain feels like I should be wet. Buggy depth for shadows and skybox though, latter is fixed by a mod.

What mod is this? I recently started a new Oblivion game with 3d Vision and this is one of the only problems I have with it right now. The normal Sky isn't too bad but the night sky makes my head hurt right away.

Also I would try out Assassin's Creed with 3d Vision; once you get rid of all the HUD elements and adjust the convergence its one of the best 3d games.

LostVector

Neo Member
Durante, do you live in Europe? I haven't seen that projector for sale here in the US yet. It's appealing b/c it's only decent big screen solution right now and shouldn't suffer from nearly as bad ghosting as the monitors. On the other hand, many new options coming out in a few months too...

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I've been taking stereoscopic images recently (with a single lens camera) and its as much fun making as it is viewing! The loss in color correction is annoying though (using the Anaglyph type 3D). I would buy into a good 3D monitor that can do the whole polarized thing.

cakefoo

BlueTsunami said:
I've been taking stereoscopic images recently (with a single lens camera) and its as much fun making as it is viewing! The loss in color correction is annoying though (using the Anaglyph type 3D). I would buy into a good 3D monitor that can do the whole polarized thing.
Set the shots up for cross-eyed viewing ;)

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
cakefoo said:
Set the shots up for cross-eyed viewing ;)

Oh yeah, I've done that! My issue with cross-eyed setup is that too large of an image is hard to view (unless you site far away from the monitor). Polarization seems to be the best setup... unfortunately if I do process my photographs with this in mind, only a select few will be able to see it (until adoption of required monitors and equipment swells).

Durante

XHPrime said:
What mod is this?
http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=24059

LostVector said:
Durante, do you live in Europe?
Yes, I do.

Some more games tested:

Dragon Age: Origins
I didn't expect too much from this (I thought the game type wouldn't lend itself well to 3D), but I was completely wrong. It works almost flawlessly (the single problem I could make out being the quest markers (!) above NPC's heads being at the wrong depth) and the depth perception is great.
I'm looking forward to playing the addon in 3D.

Resident Evil 5
The first "3D Vision Ready" game I tried, and expectedly awesome. No errors at all. The only "problem" is that some of the texturing tricks they used in place of more world geometry become much more obvious in 3D!

Titan Quest: Immortal Throne
Before I tried Dragon Age I thought that isometric games wouldn't be particularly impressive in 3D vision, but after it openend my eyes I decided to also try TQ:IT. It works very well, the effect is particularly impressive (but maybe too "heavy" for long-term playing) if you set convergence for the screen to coincide with the ground plane -- enemies and object completely pop out of it then.

Unreal Tournament 3 (At request)
Works well except for the fact that some UI elements are at an awkward depth.

Warhammer 40k - Dawn of War (the first one)
An older RTS (but still the one I play most in MP), this works surprisingly well. However, the health bars have buggy depth, and considering the amount of them on screen usually it's not really playable :/

Durante said:
That's what I just played. Works excellently, no problems at all. The pip-boy is particularly amazing if you adjust the convergence to the right level. Seems like you could just reach out and press the buttons.
playing in third person all the way zoomed out is awesome

LostVector

Neo Member
I played thru dragon age ... aside from the screen depth object indicators and cursor, 3d was flawless in every way.

Mirror's edge is basically my torture test for 3d vision ... it causes heavy ghosting in all the 3d ready lcd monitors because of the high contrast art style. So far I've only seen DLP projectors and tv's handle this well. I actually thought, however, that aside from this, the 3d effect was particularly impressive in this game due to the cityscapes and large open environments and sense of running speed. Nothing like looking over the side of a building in 3D to help you appreciate the technology. =) Or falling off it! And the depth perception in the game actually enhanced my ability to roll on landing because I could tell right when I was about to land in 3d.

Dead space was a great game in 3D, but suffers from quite a few graphical glitches. I managed to put up with them for the sake of the game and it was worth it, but still quite annoying.

I was hoping you can clear something up for me. I have a 40" Samsung LCD that is 120hz. Is that enough to get this to work? Can I plug in my PC to it with (all the appropriate graphic card software and magic goggles) and get 3d with good results?

Durante

I'm playing Mass Effect (1) on PC again in preparation for ME2 (my first playthrough was on 360), in 3D of course. Everything except for the selection cursor works excellently, the citadel particularly amazing in 3D. Also, some of the cinematic camera angles work extremely well, even just talking to Wrex and seeing his face hanging in the room is pretty awesome.

catotheyounger said:
I was hoping you can clear something up for me. I have a 40" Samsung LCD that is 120hz. Is that enough to get this to work? Can I plug in my PC to it with (all the appropriate graphic card software and magic goggles) and get 3d with good results?
No, a TV needs to accept 120Hz input to work with 3D vision. The list here is more or less complete:

Shai-Tan

Banned
How different is the viewing experience between RealD in the movie theater compared to the shutter glasses here? I have no problems with the technology in the theaters but have no way to test the Nvision solution before buying.

cakefoo

I'm curious as to how many hours a week some of you spend playing 3D games. What percentage of games that 3D is an option in do you play in 3D? Do the glasses ever get too uncomfortable?

Durante

That's a good time to ask this question since yesterday I gathered some data on the extremes of that :D. I played Mass Effect in 3D for around 6 hours with only a small break and suffered no ill effects. Of course this may be different for each individual.

When a game supports 3D (and I have more than 15 minutes or so to play, since my setup requires a bit of preparation) I always try to use it. When you get used to it "3D" games without depth can start to feel quite flat.

Nabs

Durante said:

i need to try this.

cakefoo said:
I'm curious as to how many hours a week some of you spend playing 3D games. What percentage of games that 3D is an option in do you play in 3D? Do the glasses ever get too uncomfortable?
I play almost all games in 3d now. Typical gaming session is 1 -3 hours. I haven't had any physical issues (headaches and such). If I know I'm only going to play for a few minutes, I won't bother to put the glasses on.

Durante

I finished my PC ME1 playthrough just now (in preparation for the sequel), almost entirely in 3D. The only time I had to turn it off was during the first part of Virmire, where object silhuettes in front of the water were bugged. Ilos was particularly amazing in 3D, with all the geometry detail in the plants and the spores flying around. The last part
the fight on the outside of the Citadel
was also amazing.

bee

gonna be taking some 3D screenshots of games over the weekend with my new gtx 480, card is a beast for 3D, here's far cry 2 1680 x 1050, dx10, 4xaa, all ultra settings with temp and framerate overlay to show the performance and heat

http://www.mediafire.com/?f2yjvymmznr

now the game says to turn certain things off or down for 3D but i don't see too much wrong with it all at max so i stuck with that, getting over 150% performance increase from my old gtx 260 in 3D, fan is at 70% for those screens

Celine

Durante said:
F-Zero in 3D !!!
Nintendo do it.

GHG

bee said:
gonna be taking some 3D screenshots of games over the weekend with my new gtx 480, card is a beast for 3D, here's far cry 2 1680 x 1050, dx10, 4xaa, all ultra settings with temp and framerate overlay to show the performance and heat

http://www.mediafire.com/?f2yjvymmznr

now the game says to turn certain things off or down for 3D but i don't see too much wrong with it all at max so i stuck with that, getting over 150% performance increase from my old gtx 260 in 3D, fan is at 70% for those screens

Nice screens.

Got my monitor yesterday. Absolutely loving it. Playing older games in 3D makes them look so much better, and newer games are just o_O .

Will post some screens when I get the chance. 1080p 3D baby!

bee

GHG said:
Nice screens.

Got my monitor yesterday. Absolutely loving it. Playing older games in 3D makes them look so much better, and newer games are just o_O .

Will post some screens when I get the chance. 1080p 3D baby!

congrats :) a 1080p monitor is next on my shopping list, not sure whether i'm gonna wait for this 27 inch asus one or not though. can't stop testing games right now, i need to just sit down and play one really

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
So... i dont have a ballin pc for gaming, and no sweet 3d capable lcd tvs.

would it be possible to purchase one of the cheaper 22inch 3d capable monitors and use it for PS3 3D gaming? i guess the problem comes from a lack of 3d glasses for the monitor/ps3.

GHG

Bad_Boy said:
So... i dont have a ballin pc for gaming, and no sweet 3d capable lcd tvs.

would it be possible to purchase one of the cheaper 22inch 3d capable monitors and use it for PS3 3D gaming? i guess the problem comes from a lack of 3d glasses for the monitor/ps3.

You need to find out what type of 3D technology the PS3 uses. Whether its Shutter, interlaced or polarized. Then you can base your monitor purchase from that (make sure its HDCP though).

I got the Zalman M215W http://www.zalman.co.kr/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=384 rather than one of the 3D vision 120hz monitors for the following reasons:

1. No ghosting. Also less eye strain and headaches compared to Shutter technology aparently.
2. 1080p and HDCP compatible (which means is Blu-Ray 3D ready)
3. Compatability with all existing 3d drivers (Nvidia, Tridef and IZ3D). The latter 2 actually have better 3D support due to more games being supported and with Tridef you can add 3D support to any old DX9 game yourself by creating a profile and messing around with the settings.
4. Point 3 means I'm free to go back to ATI should I choose to in the future and still have 3D.
5. Glasses are included (you actually get 2 pairs) and cheap to buy if you want more instead of having to buy them seperately with 3D vision and you can get extra pairs for very very cheap (polarized 3D glasses). So you can have other people watch films or game with you in 3D for next to nothing.

From what I've tried of 3D vision and comparing it to what I've just got its just as good if not better in some instances (especially for gaming). Pro evolution Soccer 2010 in 3D using the Tridef drivers is just :D . With the Tridef drivers you can also watch any old 2D video in 3D with the conversion software. It actually works suprisingly well. Obviously not as good as native 3D stuff but it adds a good amount of depth to old films.

As for the quality of the monitor in 2D. Yeh 120Hz is better but the Zalman monitor is a high quality 60Hz monitor.

3D vision isn't the only good solution out there if you want 3D on your PC.

I'll be doing a proper review later in the week with pictures (if I can sort out my camera) and screenshots once I have time. I'll be posting it here and on another 3D gaming forum since I seem to be the 1st person on the internet to have this new model :lol .

Haint

Hey guys, do these kits work with this first batch of 3D Televisions (e.g. Samsung, Panasonic, Sony)? I'm talking full quality, 720p stereo, not the checkerboard or half rez side-by-side implementations the DLP's use. I understand this would be limited to 3D flagged 720p 120 over HDMI or a single DVI>HDMI conversion. The specialty PC monitors use Display Port or Dual DVI's to drive this don't they---which the televisions obviously don't have.

Top Bottom