• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

mephixto

Banned

x3sphere

Seriously though does anyone else have scaling issues with 4k displays over dp? It seems like it's a driver issue.

People seems to be having all sorts of issues all over the webs.

I may do a newegg replacement, but my feeling is that this is a software, not hardware issue. Lots of people are not able to run anything other than native 4k with nvidia GPUs, unless you're alright with more black on your screen than anything else.

The Panasonic you have uses MST, there are lots of issues associated with it. It's one reason I always avoided MST displays (all the early 4K monitors were MST, but now most of them use SST).

Can you not use HDMI 2.0 instead?

ZOONAMI

The Panasonic you have uses MST, there are lots of issues associated with it. It's one reason I always avoided MST displays (all the early 4K monitors were MST, but now most of them use SST).

Can you not use HDMI 2.0 instead?

I'd like to be able to use the HDMI 2.0 for my shield tv, and later 4k blu ray.

Why does amd work so well with MST?

There is an SST setting on my Panasonic, but then no 60hz option in nvidia control center.

That can't be right?

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_980_ti_g1_gaming_soc_review,24.html

The difference from 980 to ref 980ti to G1 980ti is MASSIVE.

Like what in the hell is this wizardry?

And the OC numbers, pretty out there.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_980_ti_g1_gaming_soc_review,36.html

Any gaffers get these sort of numbers?

I love it when people rush out and buy the reference cards and say reference is the same as the aftermarket custom cooler cards. And then they aren't. That's okay, someone has to drive the initial demand until the customs start shipping out since they are usually delayed by a few weeks to a month after reference card launch occurs.

The people who say EVGA is as good as or better than MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte, Zotac, etc. can keep believing it too. Lifetime warranty sounds nice until you realize the average video card's useful lifespan is much shorter than a lifetime. Then all of a sudden the Gigabyte 3 year warranty doesn't sound bad at all, it's longer than most video cards will be useful for already. Meanwhile MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte, Zotac, etc. are using custom PCB designs with superior quality components over reference and also in the case of 980 Ti, they are using 2x 8-pin PCIe power connectors instead of the 6-pin + 8-pin layout the reference boards use which gives you more headroom for over-voltage and therefore higher OCs.

There's no wizardry involved with the Gigabyte G1 SOC getting those OCs, it's common for the AIB manufacturers to cherry pick their best samples to send out to reviewers. As always with factory OCed video cards, YMMV from review sample to the actual production card that you buy.

I love it when people rush out and buy the reference cards and say reference is the same as the aftermarket custom cooler cards. And then they aren't. That's okay, someone has to drive the initial demand until the customs start shipping out since they are usually delayed by a few weeks to a month after reference card launch occurs.

The people who say EVGA is as good as or better than MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte, Zotac, etc. can keep believing it too. Lifetime warranty sounds nice until you realize the average video card's useful lifespan is much shorter than a lifetime. Then all of a sudden the Gigabyte 3 year warranty doesn't sound bad at all, it's longer than most video cards will be useful for already. Meanwhile MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte, Zotac, etc. are using custom PCB designs with superior quality components over reference and also in the case of 980 Ti, they are using 2x 8-pin PCIe power connectors instead of the 6-pin + 8-pin layout the reference boards use which gives you more headroom for over-voltage and therefore higher OCs.

There's no wizardry involved with the Gigabyte G1 SOC getting those OCs, it's common for the AIB manufacturers to cherry pick their best samples to send out to reviewers. As always with factory OCed video cards, YMMV from review sample to the actual production card that you buy.

Uhh, what's wrong with EVGA? I don't know if they're better, but they're certainly just as good as MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte, etc.. Along with their excellent warranty, they offer the Step Up program, which has allowed a plethora of people to upgrade to the 980Ti in this thread alone. MSI, Asus, Gigabyte, and Zotac don't offer this. I'd still say EVGA is my favorite third party graphics card manufacturer.

def agree that evgas boards are among the worst. if only their hardware matched the level of their customer service

Caayn

I achieve similar boost clock speeds, 1452Mhz, with both of my reference cards as Guru3D does with the Gigabyte G1 SOC. Sure models with aftermarket coolers should be able to achieve better speeds, but that's where silicon lottery comes into play outside of the binned cards.

I achieve similar boost clock speeds, 1452Mhz, with both of my reference cards as Guru3D does with the Gigabyte G1 SOC. Sure models with aftermarket coolers should be able to achieve better speeds, but that's where silicon lottery comes into play outside of the binned cards.

Now loop 3DMark or Heaven for 3 hours and look at where your boost clocks are then. That reference blower isn't going to sustain your boost clock for more than like 5 minutes of actual gaming.

I'm aware of the lottery, since Nvidia doesn't bin GPUs outside of is it a Titan X if not laser cut the die and sell it as 980 Ti. But the superior support hardware, the improved power draw capability, and the vastly superior cooler will all play a part in real world clock results.

Caayn

Now loop 3DMark or Heaven for 3 hours and look at where your boost clocks are then. That reference blower isn't going to sustain your boost clock for more than like 5 minutes of actual gaming.

I'm aware of the lottery, since Nvidia doesn't bin GPUs outside of is it a Titan X if not laser cut the die and sell it as 980 Ti. But the superior support hardware, the improved power draw capability, and the vastly superior cooler will all play a part in real world clock results.
Don't care about benchmarks, it ran without reaching the heat limit, during a long GTAV sessions at max settings + 8xMSAA. I'm not paying for benchmarks, I'm paying to play games, and in games the cards will never ever stay at 100% usage they aren't even reaching that constantly in 3DMark.

Great airflow in the case along with an adjusted fan curve can do miracles for reference cards. Same goes for my old 290x reference cooler that was infamous for it's thermal limit of 95 degrees but with some playing around I managed to get it to run cooler and a slight overclock on it with the very same reference cooler.

Jumpman

I made a funny discovery while putting the 980Ti through its paces, overclocking etc. MSI's afterburner is too modest in some categories to properly track the performance of my card. By default it was capping tracking of memory use at 3GB. And it also thought 1500MHz was a neat upper bound for core clock. It's easily fixable of course but it was amusing to outperform its expectations of a graphics card. And I thought I'd mention it to those who use afterburner and want to accurately track the upper end of their performance. Change those defaults. :D

Dw9qu.gif

lmbotiva

im so confused! i posted this before but i dont know what to do, the EVGA acx 2.0 i order arrives tomorrow and i dont know if i should keep it or not :(, i want a card to play batman but it would be close to impossible to get a gigabyte by then and we dont even have a release date for the MSI gaming edition, at least reviews for the evga have been good but is just that little voice inside my head to keeps contradicting itself

Kvik

index.php

That 2x980 SLI is accurate since that's what I am getting at stock clock.

Still keen to see 2x980Ti SLI in 4K numbers, though.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
How the fuck is the G1 that much better? What would it look like comparably to a reference design with a modest OC?

index.php

That 2x980 SLI is accurate since that's what I am getting at stock clock.

Still keen to see 2x980Ti SLI in 4K numbers, though.

It sucks that the card only comes with Batman now. I have to buy TW3 separately but this is exactly what I'm planning on doing with my Gigabyte G1.

The numbers on that Gigabyte card are hardly believable. I had talked myself out of the 30% increase upgrade over a 780Ti, but an additional 25%? That's something else entirely.

What worries me about that Gigabyte oc card is the lack of vents in the back for the extra ports. Also, one more fan on the card is one more thing that could possibly fail. I'll take the Classified with one less port, a vent, and a little slower.

Wag

I have a hard time buying a card that's not EVGA at this point especially with their great RMA and step-up program.

What worries me about that Gigabyte oc card is the lack of vents in the back for the extra ports. Also, one more fan on the card is one more thing that could possibly fail. I'll take the Classified with one less port, a vent, and a little slower.

Or you could you know have a case with decent ventilation. You only need to buy one good case and it will last you forever, like the Cooler Master HAF 932 I have had for the past 7 or so years.

Bydobob

Speaking of the 2500k... If I upgrade from a 580 to this, does my 2500k throttle me at all?

How do you know what bottlenecks a PC?

Easiest way is to run a hardware monitoring program like Afterburner/Rivatuner and see what usage you're getting from you CPU/GPU. You're ideally looking at as close to 100% GPU usage as possible, assuming you're not framerate limited (eg VSync). If you're significantly under, you might be CPU bottlenecked. A CPU usage close to 100% will be the clue ;)

Now to answer your specific question about the 2500k, it depends on the resolution and refresh rate.

At 1080p and 60Hz neither 2500k nor 980 ti is likely to be maxed by games in the near future (better off stopping at a 980 here). At 1080p and 120/144 though your CPU could become a limiting factor in certain CPU-heavy games, particularly once you start pushing triple figure framerates.

Best way to guarantee taking your CPU out of the equation is to run at 1440p+ or downsample and make that 980 ti work for its living. Remember the GPU draws the pages (graphics), while the CPU turns the pages (framerate). If your GPU is drawing each page faster than the CPU can turn them then you are CPU limited. At higher resolutions the GPU has a heck of a lot more to draw meaning the CPU can keep up!

GamingArena

Those gigabyte G1 are actually average 980ti/TitanX OC numbers, i have 2x titanX and they both can do 1425mhz default voltage with small bump they can go way more!

Usually the reviewers don't take OC in to considerations but this 980TI/Titanx are beast overclockers like the above guy mentioned they suddenly become totally different tier of video cards.

I already mentioned in AMD Fury thread that even if somehow Fury X manages to reach same performance as TitanX it will be left in the dust by both 980ti/TitanX if it cant overclock at all.
This cards overclocks as much as 40% and performance scales accordingly...

Those gigabyte G1 are actually average 980ti/TitanX OC numbers, i have 2x titanX and they both can do 1425mhz default voltage with small bump they can go way more!

Usually the reviewers don't take OC in to considerations but this 980TI/Titanx are beast overclockers like the above guy mentioned they suddenly become totally different tier of video cards.

I already mentioned in AMD Fury thread that even if somehow Fury X manages to reach same performance as TitanX it will be left in the dust by both 980ti/TitanX if it cant overclock at all.
This cards overclocks as much as 40% and performance scales accordingly...

Hoping my reference card OC's to 1.2 or something stably. I'll be very happy with a modest OC since I'm in a mini ITX case.

I still haven't had the time to open my evga gtx 980 FTW that I currently have in the step up queue for the 980 Ti. I was debating on getting a hybrid but after that gigabyte review... I want to see another source confirm!

Ryne

If only the G1 could fit in my case. The last versions of Gigabyte cards just are too big for me.

It looks like Asus' cards will have a similar issue, just too long :(

Impulsor

I just built a new PC and got a reference Asus GTX 980 ti, happy with it right now. Its a beast of a video card.

Is the Gigabyte G1 bigger in size than the reference one?

pa22word

Booted up Dead Rising 3 on my EVGA SC version of the card and my eyes melted at the glorious 100 fps gameplay.

I'm going to love this card @_@

jfoul

Use THIS if you need to track the 980ti or other hot items. You can set it up to send text, or email alerts for in-stock and pre-order status.

martino

yeah at stock power mine go to 1250 --> boost 1450
and memory go up to 4100

i'm glad, best overclocking product i own for years. (didn't get that kind of scale from my 7870xt or previous GPU)

laxu

That vent doesn't do much at all. The fans exhaust the hot air into the case so if you could just remove the bracket from the next PCI-E slot to achieve the same. Or as already mentioned just have a case with good ventilation in the first place.

Is the Gigabyte G1 bigger in size than the reference one?

It probably is, but either Gigabyte has changed the way they measure their cards or the 980 Ti G1 is actually a little bit smaller than their previous cards. The 970s I have were 310mm according to GB but in reality around 300mm as GB's measurement included the card's protruding DVI port. The G1 measures at 295mm according to the website. In any case they are large cards so it's best to check if they fit your case. The cooler is just two PCI-E slots width though, just the length is big.

Impulsor

It probably is, but either Gigabyte has changed the way they measure their cards or the 980 Ti G1 is actually a little bit smaller than their previous cards. The 970s I have were 310mm according to GB but in reality around 300mm as GB's measurement included the card's protruding DVI port. The G1 measures at 295mm according to the website. In any case they are large cards so it's best to check if they fit your case. The cooler is just two PCI-E slots width though, just the length is big.

Was just curious, I'm sticking with the reference, can't be bothered to go through th eprocess of returning the card and waiting for a new one, can't play meanwhile. Reference is fine for me.

I'll keep a look out, I'm really curious about the size of the card, other than the standard 2 pci slots.

Rolfgang

Well the shop now has the card on 'Not available', so I cancelled my order en get it from the other shop, which has it guaranteed. I just hope I will get my money back fast...

The_Poet

Banned
What wattage PSU is recommended for this card?

Edit: realised it was in the first post (600W).

Is there any merit to getting the EVGA acx? are there any god comparisons between the regular fan and the acx cooler? Would it matter that much if I live in the UK (doesnt get very hot)

jiggles

Banned
It'll basically be quieter than the regular fan. When idle, the fans switch off completely while the temperature is under 60C and it'll be silent. And it's clocked higher out of the box due to it being able to keep itself cooler.

Top Bottom