• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

Is it feasible to SLI a 980ti with a Titan X? I have a Titan x and want more GPU power, but I definitely don't want to spend another $1200 for a second Titan.

Nope, not possible. SLI usually requires matching not only the same card (eg GTX 980Ti), but usually even the exact same models of that card (eg EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 won't work with EVGA reference card).

AU Tiger

Amazon shipping notification is saying it should ship within 3 to 4 weeks

WXI50P5m.png

At least that will buy me more time for the step up program if I want to get the Classified version. All depends on just how much better the classified is.

Candeez

Got an EVGA reference 980 ti from Newegg, couldn't wait for shipping so I did the Will Call option and picked it up from their store.

Going from a 780 to a 980ti is so worth it, my framerates more than doubled @ 3440x1440, from ~20 FPS to 50-60 depending on location. Witcher 3 Ultra w/ Hairworks and AA at that res and speed is AMAZING.

knitoe

Nope, not possible. SLI usually requires matching not only the same card (eg GTX 980Ti), but usually even the exact same models of that card (eg EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 won't work with EVGA reference card).

Unless Nvidia change it starting with the 980ti, you just needs the same GPU. So, no to titan X and 980ti, but 980ti reference and ACX should work.

Xyber

I'm pretty sure it should work (have never heard of it not working with different models of the same card), just that the reference card will make the OC on the SC+ completely useless unless you OC that reference card to the same level. It will lock it at the clock of the slowest card.

Serick

Married Member
Amazon shipping notification is saying it should ship within 3 to 4 weeks

At least that will buy me more time for the step up program if I want to get the Classified version. All depends on just how much better the classified is.

Just a heads-up, I don't think you can step-up to the classified. The only step-up listed is the base AXC 2.0+ and they say this:

"EVGA maintains a list of current graphics cards as well as motherboards available to Step-Up to. Products listed are mostly stock (not factory overclocked, or water cooled) due to stock limitations."

laxu

You have to check the performance. When it hits a certain temperature, the performance kicks back insanely, to prevent the GPU from melting. When you see that happening, you will know at which temperature to stop.

The best way to check this is to overclock it step-by-step, I think. Maybe someone knows a piece of software that can check it.

You can check it with Maxwell BIOS Tweaker. I don't know if it supports 980 Ti yet. In any case on my Gigabyte 970 at least the max temp is something like 91 degrees (the chip should never get that hot!) but the actual temp limit is around 80 degrees and that's where the cards will start throttling. Some of the worse coolers can hit that but the good ones from Gigabyte, ASUS or MSI are usually able to keep the temps around 70 or less even when heavily overclocked.

laxu

Is it feasible to SLI a 980ti with a Titan X? I have a Titan x and want more GPU power, but I definitely don't want to spend another $1200 for a second Titan.

As already mentioned, not possible. However, it might be possible to flash the Titan X with a 980 Ti BIOS, essentially turning it into a 980 Ti. This means of course you lose some performance and halve your VRAM as it will think that the card has less cores etc but the computer will then think you have two 980 Tis. I don't know if somebody has already tried that, maybe check overclock.net forums.

laxu

Reference 980ti hitting 84c under load, Is this OK?
It's not good but your card won't melt or anything. I would check to see if the card throttles (raises and lowers clocks during gaming) by observing Afterburner's graphs. If it does you might have to ramp up the fans or improve your case cooling.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Triple Combo

This is offtopic I know but perhaps someone could answer me. I'm trying to sell my Nvidia branded GTX 970 I bought from Best Buy to help offset some of the costs of the GTX 980 TI. I found someone that was interested in paying $300 for it, but they are asking for pictures as proof as well as the brand and Serial number to confirm the warranty that I told them had about 2.5 years left on it.

Is there any kind of problem with me providing that information? Could I be scammed with them trying to put in a claim with that serial number or something?

Serick

Married Member
Triple Combo

This is offtopic I know but perhaps someone could answer me. I'm trying to sell my Nvidia branded GTX 970 I bought from Best Buy to help offset some of the costs of the GTX 980 TI. I found someone that was interested in paying $300 for it, but they are asking for pictures as proof as well as the brand and Serial number to confirm the warranty that I told them had about 2.5 years left on it.

Is there any kind of problem with me providing that information? Could I be scammed with them trying to put in a claim with that serial number or something?

I honestly don't think they could do anything shady with just the S/N and P/N. I mean, if they tried to do a warranty claim using your info they'd have to send the physical card back anyway.

Triple Combo

How the hell did you find someone to pay $300 for a used card that sells for like $320 new and includes a free Batman game? This guy is either an idiot or a scammer.

grkazan12

I've been using a 570 since 2011 and I'm really close to making the upgrade to the 980 ti, but I still don't know wether or not I should wait for Pascal.

1. What's the earliest we could see a Pascal release?

2. It would be a huge jump no doubt, but would it be worth it just to wait a little bit longer?

3. If I get a Evga 980 ti now, would it qualify a for a pascal card in the step up program?

I've been using a 570 since 2011 and I'm really close to making the upgrade to the 980 ti, but I still don't know wether or not I should wait for Pascal.

1. What's the earliest we could see a Pascal release?

2. It would be a huge jump no doubt, but would it be worth it just to wait a little bit longer?

3. If I get a Evga 980 ti now, would it qualify a for a pascal card in the step up program?

Pascal is a long ways out, at least 9 months probably. The only reason to wait now is if you're interested in what AMD is doing, they'll announce their new cards on Tuesday. Otherwise if you want an Nvidia card go for it.

And regarding point #3, no, I think step-up is only for 60 or 90 days. Something like that.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
How the hell did you find someone to pay $300 for a used card that sells for like $320 new and includes a free Batman game? This guy is either an idiot or a scammer.

idk man. Maybe someone who bought 1 or 2 of these already and wants to add another one on SLI with a reference cooler?

I haven't registered the card yet, so I'm just worried the "ownership" of the card might be taken from me without me selling it.

Ultra1992

Neo Member
After seeing the performance charts, I too am a bit tempted. For someone that recently built their first gaming PC with a GTX 970, should I continue with the 970? I game in 1440p but would love to try 4k, and and will the 980 Ti fit inside of a EVGA Hadron Air case?

Not sure if this was posted already but here's a comparison of 5 cards (in german):

http://www.computerbase.de/2015-06/geforce-gtx-980-ti-custom-test-partnerkarten-vergleich/

Ranking of the air-cooled cards:
1. Inno3D GeForce GTX 980 Ti iChill X3 AirBoss
2. EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Backplate
3. Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming

Thanks for that. The G1 Gaming performed the best and had the best cooling but at the cost of being the loudest of those 3 and consuming the most energy. I'm not familiar with Inno3D.

Vercimber

For those who ordered the Gigabyte Gaming from Newegg: I just got notice that my card was charged and that "they have what I ordered!" I'm stoked.

Not sure if this was posted already but here's a comparison of 5 cards (in german):

http://www.computerbase.de/2015-06/geforce-gtx-980-ti-custom-test-partnerkarten-vergleich/

Ranking of the air-cooled cards:
1. Inno3D GeForce GTX 980 Ti iChill X3 AirBoss
2. EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Backplate
3. Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming

Both the reference and ACX 2.0+ throttled back when loaded. The reference basically gave back it's entire boost lol. The Gigabyte gave zero fucks and maintained it's highest boost clock while also running the coolest. Nothing to see here guys, move along.

How does MSI compare to the Gigabyte cards in terms of cooling and noise?

Was about to plow down cash for the Gigabyte, then saw the MSI Gaming version. Then read MSI are releasing a Lightning version?

Decisions Decisions.

Grassy

spannicus

It's not good but your card won't melt or anything. I would check to see if the card throttles (raises and lowers clocks during gaming) by observing Afterburner's graphs. If it does you might have to ramp up the fans or improve your case cooling.
Thanks. Ran the AC all day highest the card got was 77c under load. Steady 60fps with everything maxed out in the W3. Gotta keep Ambient temps low I guess.

I still cannot believe the bug in Nvidia control panel where it rests your dynamic range to limited is still there.

As I'm on a Pana Plasma bia HDMI, I need limited. What's strange though, the option for YPbPr is gone, I need to check 0-16 black levels to see if they didn't fuck up completely and leave me with black crush when downsampling.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
980TiG1 has two stock OC levels. Both reviews of the card is showing the highest level - which is understandable since the card is running perfectly fine on it. I kinda don't know why there is a second, slower one "gaming" level actually.

OC Mode - GPU Boost Clock : 1291 MHz, GPU Base Clock : 1190 MHz
Gaming Mode – GPU Boost Clock : 1241 MHz, GPU Base Clock : 1152 MHz

Is that graph comparing the card to a titan x at 1080 boost tho? Coz if so that's balls. My titan x boosts to 1312 on its own

Godan

So boxing my 980 up tomorrow night to send back to EVGA on Monday to get my 980 Ti.

Gona suck not being able to really play anything on my pc for a week or 2 but means i can catch up on some ps4 game though that i have.

Is a reference coolered 980Ti likely to sag under its own weight, or is it not worth stressing about? Considered going the dental floss support route!

In case anyone is still waiting. Gigabyte G1 model is still auto-notify

It was in stock last night briefly. I managed to pick one up. I'm using 770 Windforce cards at the moment, I'm giving up on waiting for the hybrid since the Windforce looks to clock just as hard.

AP90

My evga acx 980ti sc arrived at UPS at like 2am today. But idk if it will be out for delivery because its surepost. UPS surepost normally delivers the card to usps I thought. But at least its ahead of schedule. It was supposed to come in on Tuesday, but Monday is ok too.

Decado

Not available in Canada yet?

I fear the price, though. Regular 980 is still $660 to $800. Fucking dollar. My income sure as shit didn't jump over 20% in the past year :/

GRaider81

Im building my first pc at the moment and im seriously considering this instead of a 970.

Will a i5-4690K be fine with it or should I consider an i7? Sorry if a stupid question

Im building my first pc at the moment and im seriously considering this instead of a 970.

Will a i5-4690K be fine with it or should I consider an i7? Sorry if a stupid question

An OC'd 4690k would be fine, but you should really decide based on your budget. What resolution/refresh rate are you gonna be playing at?

GRaider81

An OC'd 4690k would be fine, but you should really decide based on your budget. What resolution/refresh rate are you gonna be playing at?

Thats the thing, ill be using my tv so only 1080p but I do want to play latest games at 60fps and able to use nvidia effects (smoke in batman for example)

Not sure a 970 would manage?

I have a build on PCPartpicker at moment coming in at £1200 with 980 ti.

Hope this isn't derailing might be better in pc builder threas.

Top Bottom