• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

ZOONAMI

I have the acx 2.0 sc w/backplate.

It's super quiet with the default fan profile. It revs up to around 50% speed under benchmark situations and remains mostly inaudible. I've had Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, etc coolers in the past and this ranks comfortably among the best of them for noise at the default profile.

The fan becomes noisier when it heads above 65+ percent use. Not jet engine like or anything, but certainly audible in a quiet room, yet still easily drowned out by game noise. I haven't had a need to up the fan curve yet so these observations only matter if you are trying for an extra special overclock and want to boost the fan speed for a few extra Mhz.

At the normal fan profile, temps throttle between 79-80 on a hot California day during benchmarks. With a more aggressive fan curve you can easily stay in the mid 70's. It's not as effective as some bigger coolers I've had in the past but it stays well under temps that would cause any boost throttling unlike the reference cards.

The card boosts up to 1304Mhz right out of the box despite what the specs say. And I was able to quickly find a stock voltage stable overclock of +150 core (1102 factory overclock) and +500 (1000Mhz effective). That puts base clocks at 1252Mhz core and 8000Mhz Memory without messing with voltage. Early indications are that with some tweaking I can get to +180 core and +650 Memory. Either way it's nice to get such a good overclock. The best thing about it is with the cooler doing its job so well I'm getting consistent rock steady boost clocks of 1440-1470 with an occasional jump to 1504. :D

Aesthetically the card is simple and sleek. It's not the fanciest looking card and that can be a good thing. It blends in to my case nicely whereas certain other aftermarket cards could clash if they don't match the scheme. It does have a front facing led badge that says "EVGA Geforce GTX 980Ti SC" which looks rather cool.

All in all I'm very happy with it in every way. There will be other cards coming with bigger, stronger coolers. And cards with custom PCB circuitry that allow higher overclock attempts. But then they'll also be more expensive. There's not really a wrong choice here. This EVGA version is great. Other great models will trickle over the next couple months. If you don't want to wait I highly recommend this model.

Are these clocks still stable with no additional voltage? My SC is not stable at 1250/8000, crashes on me pretty quickly at those clocks. 1225/7900 seems to be alright so far though.

Godan

So just paid for my EVGA step to the 980 Ti and now comes the fun part of sending it too them.

Anyone on here sent to them before from the UK. What service did you use? Royal Mail or UPS or something?

Never sent anything to Germany so kinda a noob at this.

spicy cho

According to that German evga acx 2.0 review, it is completely silent while idle. 0 db. Wow.
It's true. The default profile has the fans spinning up only after the card reaches 60c. Having the card for about a week I 100% agree with Jumpman's review a few posts up, excellent card with a great warranty.

NeonBlack

According to that German evga acx 2.0 review, it is completely silent while idle. 0 db. Wow.

This is my first build and I chose this card. I can attest to it being silent and only audible in a quiet room while in use. I thought all cards were silent when idle, is that not the case?

GHG

So just paid for my EVGA step to the 980 Ti and now comes the fun part of sending it too them.

Anyone on here sent to them before from the UK. What service did you use? Royal Mail or UPS or something?

Never sent anything to Germany so kinda a noob at this.

Just chose whatever service where you can get full tracking and insurance that covers the value of the card.

I was expecting to get my card (gigabyte) this week... looks like this can take a little longer than expected. I'm running on a Geforce 210 at the moment... this is killing me :mad:

ZOONAMI

Did a 43mv plus voltage and now 1275 base 8000 memory is stable. Boosting in the 1400s. Gpuz perfcap reason is still total power limit of the card. Are there any bios flashes that increase the power limit?

Got the in-stock notification from EVGA store for the SC ACX 2.0 two hours ago; just checked and it's back to "auto notify." Seriously, why the fuck does EVGA allow people to order 3 of these at once? 2 I can understand, for SLI, but 3? Bullshit. Motherfuckers are almost certainly trying to resell.

LaneDS

Entirely unimportant, but the reference design cards look amazing and sleek. Felt like the most premium piece of computer hardware I've ever purchased (and it probably is).

Haven't had time to properly put the card through its paces yet (did a full PC rebuild) but I'm excited to see what it can do (even coming off a 970).

4k performance in Guild Wars 2 is 2x-3x better than it was with my Titan (with certain Nvidia Inspector AA override settings enabled). I really love this card.

spannicus

Thinking I need to step out of 1080p land and up my RES with this card. Is running my PC on a 4k TV pointless? Would rather couch it up than sit at a desk.

ApharmdX

Banned
I'm in a strange situation, and I'd like some advice. Running an i7-4700K @ 4.5GHz, 16 GB RAM, etc, a pretty standard configuration. Two and a half weeks ago I dropped my R9-290X in my wife's new gaming PC, then I got a pair of MSI GTX 970's (the special edition Twin Frozr green ones) for mine.

I can exchange my MSI 970's and get a 980 Ti tonight, or I can keep them. The 980 Ti would be a reference design, which kind of stinks for overclocking, but my return period for my 970s will be up before the vendor heatsink designs hit the stores in quantity. I like the SLI setup but several of the games I play don't support SLI or are buggy, namely Guild Wars 2 and Dragon Age Inquisition. Because those don't support SLI, going to the 970's from the 290X was actually a side-grade or downgrade in some ways.

Anyone have any thoughts? Aside from the above I'm currently playing Final Fantasy XIV, the Witcher 3, Battlefield 4, and Borderlands. Also, I'm running a 1440p Dell IPS monitor (60 Hz).

Rolfgang

Yeah, I'm finally going to take the step to 1440p. When I get this card, then it's also time for a 1440p IPS monitor. My current 1080p TN monitor is getting crappy.

pa22word

Blasted newegg super saver...

Card has been sitting at my local post office for almost 2 days now, literally a mile from my house, and they won't even let me come and pick it up because they have to "attempt delivery" at least once :(

Caayn

Anyone know if it's possible to have the second GPU in SLI turn-off when it isn't needed? With my previous crossfire set-up the second GPU would automatically disable itself till a crossfire compatible game/application was launched, saving power and heat production. Is this possible with SLI as well? Don't like it that my second GPU is constantly running along with my first GPU outside of SLI compatible games/applications.

scoobs

Anyone else trying to use EVGAs step-up program on this card? Been in queue for a couple weeks now and wondering how long I should expect to wait

mkenyon

Banned
Anyone know if it's possible to have the second GPU in SLI turn-off when it isn't needed? With my previous crossfire set-up the second GPU would automatically disable itself till a crossfire compatible game/application was launched, saving power and heat production. Is this possible with SLI as well? Don't like it that my second GPU is constantly running along with my first GPU outside of SLI compatible games/applications.
They barely use any power at idle. You can't turn it off completely, as long as it's plugged in, but you can disable SLI so the second card will run idle.

AU Tiger

I have the acx 2.0 sc w/backplate.

It's super quiet with the default fan profile. It revs up to around 50% speed under benchmark situations and remains mostly inaudible. I've had Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, etc coolers in the past and this ranks comfortably among the best of them for noise at the default profile.

The fan becomes noisier when it heads above 65+ percent use. Not jet engine like or anything, but certainly audible in a quiet room, yet still easily drowned out by game noise. I haven't had a need to up the fan curve yet so these observations only matter if you are trying for an extra special overclock and want to boost the fan speed for a few extra Mhz.

At the normal fan profile, temps throttle between 79-80 on a hot California day during benchmarks. With a more aggressive fan curve you can easily stay in the mid 70's. It's not as effective as some bigger coolers I've had in the past but it stays well under temps that would cause any boost throttling unlike the reference cards.

The card boosts up to 1304Mhz right out of the box despite what the specs say. And I was able to quickly find a stock voltage stable overclock of +150 core (1102 factory overclock) and +500 (1000Mhz effective). That puts base clocks at 1252Mhz core and 8000Mhz Memory without messing with voltage. Early indications are that with some tweaking I can get to +180 core and +650 Memory. Either way it's nice to get such a good overclock. The best thing about it is with the cooler doing its job so well I'm getting consistent rock steady boost clocks of 1440-1470 with an occasional jump to 1504. :D

Aesthetically the card is simple and sleek. It's not the fanciest looking card and that can be a good thing. It blends in to my case nicely whereas certain other aftermarket cards could clash if they don't match the scheme. It does have a front facing led badge that says "EVGA Geforce GTX 980Ti SC" which looks rather cool.

All in all I'm very happy with it in every way. There will be other cards coming with bigger, stronger coolers. And cards with custom PCB circuitry that allow higher overclock attempts. But then they'll also be more expensive. There's not really a wrong choice here. This EVGA version is great. Other great models will trickle over the next couple months. If you don't want to wait I highly recommend this model.

Good to hear all this. My Gigabyte 980 is dead and headed back to them to diagnose the problem. The system won't power on at ALL if both of the 8 pin power cables are plugged into the card. If I unplug the inner one, the system will boot. Very bizarre.

I have the OC ACX 980ti backordered on Amazon though in the mean time. No telling how long it will take to hear back from gigabyte.

Dutcher

Neo Member
I just got my Sli 980 Ti.

tumblr_md3puyE6Qf1rkr981o1_400.gif

Jumpman

Are these clocks still stable with no additional voltage? My SC is not stable at 1250/8000, crashes on me pretty quickly at those clocks. 1225/7900 seems to be alright so far though.

Yep totally stable on stock voltage at 1250/8000. I was somewhat stable at 1280/8300 but had to back off because some tests would pass while others failed. It's going to take voltage to hit those higher numbers with stability if at all.

IMACOMPUTA said:

This is true. I wasn't sure I liked the idea of my fan shutting off under 60 degrees since fans are quiet anyway and I don't want my card idling near 60deg. But the ACX 2.0 idles between 37-40 degrees with absolutely no fan help. Totally cool. :)

Grassy

Anyone actually seeing stable 8000mhz mem clocks? I got through one firestrike with it that high but then started getting crashes on further testing. Seems stable at 7900mhz

Also, are people also getting 14000-15000 firestrike scores depending on clocks? I have an i5 4690k at 4.5ghz.

I got 14400 on Firestrike on my first run. Stock clocks, i7 2600K @ 4.5.

I'd suggest adopting a more aggressive fan profile to keep your load temps below 83C... which is the point at which Maxwell starts to throttle the clocks to prevent further increases in temperature.

What program do I need to adjust the fan curve, is it MSI Afterburner?

ZOONAMI

Yep totally stable on stock voltage at 1250/8000. I was somewhat stable at 1280/8300 but had to back off because some tests would pass while others failed. It's going to take voltage to hit those higher numbers with stability if at all.

This is true. I wasn't sure I liked the idea of my fan shutting off under 60 degrees since fans are quiet anyway and I don't want my card idling near 60deg. But the ACX 2.0 idles between 37-40 degrees with absolutely no fan help. Totally cool. :)

Strange that the reference cooler evga superclocked I have has a fan floor of 24%. Can't turn it off.

ZOONAMI

Hmmm it's weird that my reference cooler evga super clocked has a fan floor of 24%. Can't turn it off. Edit: sorry for double post phone being weird.

Jumpman

Strange that the reference cooler evga superclocked I have has a fan floor of 24%. Can't turn it off.

The 0 fan speed thing is a feature of the ACX 2.0 cooler, and some other coolers out there. I've never known a reference cooler to allow this. A fan speed floor of 20-40% is normal on most coolers.

paskowitz

Was the evga hybrid ever in stock on Amazon?

Nope. Only up for pre order. When I asked Amazon for an ETA they said, "we cannot tell you"... sigh.

However, the pre order processes is first come first in line. So if you order now, you are behind everyone that has pre ordered before you. For reference, I put my order in like 30 minutes after the listing went up, and I still have not received any notifications.

ZOONAMI

The 0 fan speed thing is a feature of the ACX 2.0 cooler, and some other coolers out there. I've never known a reference cooler to allow this. A fan speed floor of 20-40% is normal on most coolers.

Well, it should be allowed, as no fans running is the same thing happening, regardless of the cooler. My 290x allowed me to turn the fan off in afterburner, and that was a reference cooler.

Jumpman

Well, it should be allowed, as no fans running is the same thing happening, regardless of the cooler. My 290x allowed me to turn the fan off in afterburner, and that was a reference cooler.

I'd be curious to see the idle temps of a reference cooler if someone can modify the bios to allow 0 fan speed. I would expect it to stay hot since it isn't as easy for the hot air to escape. How did your 290x do in that scenario?

Cru

Nope. Only up for pre order. When I asked Amazon for an ETA they said, "we cannot tell you"... sigh.

However, the pre order processes is first come first in line. So if you order now, you are behind everyone that has pre ordered before you. For reference, I put my order in like 30 minutes after the listing went up, and I still have not received any notifications.

Well shit. I might just preorder and cancel later if something else becomes available.

Just got my email for the final step in the step-up program! Now to get rid of this 980 I bought just to play Witcher 3. Only 9 days after I started the process, not too bad. So glad I bought an EVGA card.

ZOONAMI

I'd be curious to see the idle temps of a reference cooler if someone can modify the bios to allow 0 fan speed. I would expect it to stay hot since it isn't as easy for the hot air to escape. How did your 290x do in that scenario?

Stayed in the 40s idle. I set the fan to kick in at 50. I'd like to be able to do the same thing with the 980 ti, not really a big deal though as 24% is barely audible.

Top Bottom