• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

TheCrow

Yeah, I saw that. I didn't preorder because I'm looking to pick up 2. They had a 1 per customer limit.

Yeah its weird how there aren't any reviews or official press yet. Hopefully its not an error on neweggs part.

I eventually might go back for a second one once I jump in on the VR craze. Hopefully those muli-gpu drivers for VR work well.

Yeah its weird how there aren't any reviews or official press yet. Hopefully its not an error on neweggs part.

Newegg wouldn't make that sort of error. The first review of an EVGA 980 Ti ACX 2.0+ didn't appear until just yesterday and they've been shipping out to people for over a week now. So I'm not surprised there's no reviews yet.

Welp... Just got a notification that Newegg had them in stock, so I just put in my order for an EVGA GTX 980TI ACX 2.0 to go along with the one i'm acquiring through the Step Up program. So my specs will be as follows:

i7 4790K @ 4.7Ghz
16GB DDR 3 1866Mhz RAM
1TB Samsung EVO 840 SSD
2x EVGA GTX 980Ti ACX 2.0 in SLI

What do you think? I'm ready to rock n' roll. Hopefully this setup allows me to avoid upgrading for at least 2-3 years.

IMACOMPUTA

Welp... Just got a notification that Newegg had them in stock, so I just put in my order for an EVGA GTX 980TI ACX 2.0 to go along with the one i'm acquiring through the Step Up program. So my specs will be as follows:

i7 4790K @ 4.7Ghz
16GB DDR 3 1866Mhz RAM
1TB Samsung EVO 840 SSD

What do you think? I'm ready to rock n' roll. Hopefully this setup allows me to avoid upgrading for at least 2-3 years.

I think you gon be beeeastin

bros

is there anyway to change my shipping for EVGA step-up once I'm in queue (or rather, at the front of the queue, just needs my payment at this stage)

;_;

Zornack

i7 4790K @ 4.7Ghz
16GB DDR 3 1866Mhz RAM
1TB Samsung EVO 840 SSD

What sort of monitor are you using? 1440p? 144hz?

Caayn

They barely use any power at idle. You can't turn it off completely, as long as it's plugged in, but you can disable SLI so the second card will run idle.
Shame I really hoped that you could and expected that you could especially since AMD supports this.
Strange that the reference cooler evga superclocked I have has a fan floor of 24%. Can't turn it off.
My Gigabyte reference has a floor of 22% and my EVGA reference has a floor of 24%.

ZOONAMI

Noticing something strange with my OCing - increasing power limit seems to just cause crashes. Same clocks as +0 power limit that are stable, but if I do 10% I get crashes in 3d mark and artificating. Stable with +0. Could this be PSU related?

Noticing something strange with my OCing - increasing power limit seems to just cause crashes. Same clocks as +0 power limit that are stable, but if I do 10% I get crashes in 3d mark and artificating. Stable with +0. Could this be PSU related?

Maybe it's a BIOS setting or quirk? Sounds like it and perhaps might get fixed with a BIOS update. PSU could be the culprit too but I haven't had power issues with Nvidia cards since the Fermi generation.

Rolfgang

I can order a Gigabyte G1 now and it will arrive in 8 days guaranteed. Or I can order the MSI Gaming 6G and it will arrive in 1 - 5 days, but there is no stock at the supplier and I don't think the card is officially released. So that sounds fishy. Also, the MSI card is 50 euros cheaper. What to do, GAF? My heart wants the MSI card, but my brains is telling me to go for the G1.

ZOONAMI

Another weird thing I've noticed is that it doesn't scale properly on my 65 inch Panasonic 4k tv. If i change the screen resolution to Anything other than native 4k it's windowed with the rest of the screen blacked out.

Have tried using nvidia control panel scaling options, and they don't work.

If I change my tv display port setting to single stream instead of auto, this alleviates the issue, but then I'm locked to 30hz at 4k.

Rolfgang

Well, I went for the MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G, because the status changed from not available from supplier to in stock at supplier, so that gives me hope. And it's exactly the card I want so, we'll see in five days or less if I got the card.

Tempted to replace my 970 by this, it's pretty recent so I guess I could sell it for some money, but not sure how much, and I'm not too much in a hurry to upgrade.

Eh, I'll probably wait for next year, 780€ is a lot. I should probably upgrade my screen first anyway.

Another weird thing I've noticed is that it doesn't scale properly on my 65 inch Panasonic 4k tv. If i change the screen resolution to Anything other than native 4k it's windowed with the rest of the screen blacked out.

Have tried using nvidia control panel scaling options, and they don't work.

If I change my tv display port setting to single stream instead of auto, this alleviates the issue, but then I'm locked to 30hz at 4k.

This sounds like a problem with your TV. You're using the DP connector, right? Does your TV scale non-native input signals sent over DP? Have you tried the HDMI 2.0 connector instead? It should work just fine for you over HDMI 2.0.

Rolfgang

Nooooo! I just got a call from the shop from which I ordered the card and they said there was a mistake on the website, so it was not the Gaming 6G, but the reference card from MSI. Now they are going to check when and if they get any of the custom cooler cards in stock and make me a new offer, with maybe a special price. So it might be slighty cheaper, but still, I preferred if it was just available :(

datamage

Hmm, perhaps the wrong place to post, but, I got my 980 Ti yesterday, and now I have this weird bug in GTA 5 -- http://i.imgur.com/p4w4t0S.jpg

If I set the game to borderless window, the issue isn't present, only in full screen. (Aspect ratio is set correctly in game, and it's the only ui asset that has this issue.)

Anyone else come across this?

Aside from that, I opted to just get the eVGA ACX, didn't want to wait for Asus/MSI as I wanted to makes sure I had the card before Batman released. ;) First impressions are great, I hope to maybe have some benchmarks to share in a couple days. (Previous card was the Asus GTX 980 Strix)

I mainly played GTA 5 with the same settings I had before, but added MSAA (2x)- and the game ran without a hitch. (Even in Paleto Bay, where I had some drops before.) Course, I need to do more testing.

ZOONAMI

This sounds like a problem with your TV. You're using the DP connector, right? Does your TV scale non-native input signals sent over DP? Have you tried the HDMI 2.0 connector instead? It should work just fine for you over HDMI 2.0.

It isn't a problem with my TV, because my 290x had no problems whatsoever.

Nvidia's dp drivers seem to be lacking. Nvidia control panel is also forcing 6 bit color through displayport, but my 290x ran at 8 bit out of the box. There is an option to switch to 8 bit in the control panel, but the switch doesn't stick, it forces back to 6 bit.

The HDMI 2.0 does work, but input lag is noticeably worse.

I may end up returning the card and getting a Radeon Fury.

So much for AMD having worse drivers than Nvidia. I've had the opposite experience every time I've had an nvidia card.

My 7950 and 290x were stable as fuck and had no quirks like this. My 780 6gb and 980 ti seem to have a lot more display issues.

Rolfgang

Alright, so I called the shop again, they switched my order with the Gigabyte Gaming 1G edition and as soon as it's there they send it to me, for the price of a reference card because of the mix-up. So that's kinda nice.

ZOONAMI

Have done some digging online, and it seems display port and nvidia don't seem to get along very well with 4k monitors. Scaling is broken.

Ugh, I can't decide what model I want. I was gonna do the EVGA OC ACX, but then I saw that gigabyte and Msi both have higher overclocks out of the box. I've never overclocked before so i don't know if it's worth it or not.

DBT85

Ugh, I can't decide what model I want. I was gonna do the EVGA OC ACX, but then I saw that gigabyte and Msi both have higher overclocks out of the box. I've never overclocked before so i don't know if it's worth it or not.

Its very easy these days.

Frankly its pure luck which will determine how far the card will go.

Get something with some decent cooling like a dual or tri fan design and have at it.

Sanjay

That can't be right?

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_980_ti_g1_gaming_soc_review,24.html

The difference from 980 to ref 980ti to G1 980ti is MASSIVE.

Like what in the hell is this wizardry?

And the OC numbers, pretty out there.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_980_ti_g1_gaming_soc_review,36.html

Any gaffers get these sort of numbers?

That can't be right?

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_980_ti_g1_gaming_soc_review,24.html

It has much higher default clocks and boost clocks higher in most games? (normal boost clock is like.. 1090?... this has boost clocks of 1400 or more).

You can achieve the same thing just by overclocking (which is just what this card does automatically).

That can't be right?

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_980_ti_g1_gaming_soc_review,36.html

Look at the Witcher 3 benchmarks. The difference is huge with game performance as well.

Vercimber

I returned my reference 980ti and want to get a Gigabyte Gaming edition, but I have a question. The max power draw from the card is 250, but the Gigabyte website says there's a 600W minimum PSU needed thanks to the coolers. I have a 600W PSU, but obviously it needs to power other components, too. Should I upgrade to 750 or 850, or am I reading something incorrectly? If it's relevant, I'm upgrading from a Windforce 780.

Also:

i7-4770k
Asus Z87 MB
16GB Ram

ZOONAMI

That can't be right?

A big part of their benches is that 5960x their using.

Max OC with my i5 4690k I'm just able to break 15,000, and they get that with a stock card.

I returned my reference 980ti and want to get a Gigabyte Gaming edition, but I have a question. The max power draw from the card is 250, but the Gigabyte website says there's a 600W minimum PSU needed thanks to the coolers. I have a 600W PSU, but obviously it needs to power other components, too. Should I upgrade to 750 or 850, or am I reading something incorrectly? If it's relevant, I'm upgrading from a Windforce 780.

The 600W cooler means it dissipates 600W of heat. The recommended PSU is for the full system.

Also:

i7-4770k
Asus Z87 MB
16GB Ram
You're fine with the 600W PSU.

Sanjay

A big part of their benches is that 5960x their using.

Max OC with my i5 4690k I'm just able to break 15,000, and they get that with a stock card.

Do you have a 980ti?

But just going by the GPU score only that's still crazy numbers.

21 500 on the gpu score oc'd
20 350 on the gpu score normal

Also:

i7-4770k
Asus Z87 MB
16GB Ram

Both the 780 and 980ti have the same power requirements, so your all set, no need to upgrade.

ZOONAMI

Do you have a 980ti?

But just going by the GPU score only that's still crazy numbers.

21 500 on the gpu score oc'd
20 350 on the gpu score normal

Both the 780 and 980ti have the same power requirements, so your all set, no need to upgrade.

I get 17,500 stock
And just over 20k OC

Which makes sense since the G1 is already pretty much at my my max OC for my evga 980 ti sc (1275, 8000 with 43mv voltage). My evga is def gonna throttle more than the G1

ZOONAMI

Seriously though does anyone else have scaling issues with 4k displays over dp? It seems like it's a driver issue.

People seems to be having all sorts of issues all over the webs.

I may do a newegg replacement, but my feeling is that this is a software, not hardware issue. Lots of people are not able to run anything other than native 4k with nvidia GPUs, unless you're alright with more black on your screen than anything else.

mkenyon

Banned
If the reviews are accurate, then the 980Ti is the i5-2500k of videocards.
Not quite.

2500K was an easy 30%+ boost. This is just under 20%. That was typical with a wide range of cards, most notably on the AMD side of things. 7970 and 290 could see 25%+ improvements.

It just looks big cause you're already starting with big numbers. Just trying to maintain perspective here :p

Top Bottom