• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

Thats the thing, ill be using my tv so only 1080p but I do want to play latest games at 60fps and able to use nvidia effects (smoke in batman for example)

Not sure a 970 would manage?

I have a build on PCPartpicker at moment coming in at £1200 with 980 ti.

Hope this isn't derailing might be better in pc builder threas.

At 1080p/60 I think the 980 Ti would be way overkill and a 970 would be fine. You should post this in the PC thread though, people will give you other thoughts.

Stuff like the Nvidia gameworks stuff is a wild card. The impact on performance in some cases is so high that the current top end cards struggle to maintain a 60 fps framerate. It's really a case by case basis for that stuff and it shouldn't really be the determining factor.

Watto

Neo Member
Thats the thing, ill be using my tv so only 1080p but I do want to play latest games at 60fps and able to use nvidia effects (smoke in batman for example)

If you're the sort of person who wants to max out every game, then you probably should go for the 980ti. The pragmatic approach would be a 970 (possibly an overclocked 970) and turn a few settings down to high rather than ultra.

waddams

Neo Member

You'd be better off getting the 980 ti if you don't have an issue with the extra cost and want to run games maxed out. The 970 won't do that for all games seeing as my 980 can't.

Another benefit of the Ti is you can better use the dsr and improve the image quality even more that way.

GRaider81

Then whats the point of saying its an overkill?

And I assume he means max out when he mentions he wants to use the nvidia effects

Yeah sorry I should have said max out outside of resolution as I will be using TV.

Original question though, should a 4690 be ok with this card?

ZOONAMI

I've figured out that my oc instability was psu related (running on 500w in a hadron air). Don't want to push the the power limit or votlage at all. Stock power and voltage now getting 1262 core and 8000 memory stable. Highest boosts in the low 1400s. 3dmark graphics score in firestrike just under 20k.

Evga reference cooler superclocked version.

Kind of thinking I might need to move to a new case and get a nice big psu. Surprisingly this thing is using more power at load than my 290x.

lmbotiva

i managed to get the core clock to 1428 boost mode on the evga acx 2.0 without messing with the power, that's a plus 140 on the core, didn't bother with the memory OC, ran it for over 2 hours on heaven benchmark and no problems at all, temps never went over 76

Blitzhex

Anyone got a 980ti hybrid? What are the vrm temps with a high/max oc on that? The block doesn't cover the vrm chips I think, so they must be reaching +105c with that slow blower fan under it.
I've heard the gpu stays near 50c with max load at max oc, which is impressive, but that doesn't matter if the vrm is near melting.

I've figured out that my oc instability was psu related (running on 500w in a hadron air). Don't want to push the the power limit or votlage at all. Stock power and voltage now getting 1262 core and 8000 memory stable. Highest boosts in the low 1400s. 3dmark graphics score in firestrike just under 20k.

Evga reference cooler superclocked version.

Kind of thinking I might need to move to a new case and get a nice big psu. Surprisingly this thing is using more power at load than my 290x.

Did you fix your DP problem yet?

ZOONAMI

Did you fix your DP problem yet?

No, there is no fix unless Nvidia puts a fix in their drivers. Just running on HDMI 2.0 for now.

It isn't a gigantic issue - I can use dp for 4k/60hz, I just have to use the TVs osd to switch to sst mode for proper 1080p support. So just inconvenient.

ApharmdX

Banned
Is a reference coolered 980Ti likely to sag under its own weight, or is it not worth stressing about? Considered going the dental floss support route!

I have a reference MSI 980 Ti. It sags a little because it has no backplate, but not much. The card isn't that huge or heavy.

Also, the reference cooler is ok. I got a +250 core/+400 memory OC out of mine (110% power).

lmbotiva

I have a reference MSI 980 Ti. It sags a little because it has no backplate, but not much. The card isn't that huge or heavy.

Also, the reference cooler is ok. I got a +250 core/+400 memory OC out of mine (110% power).
im surprised by this, i only managed to get a stable +140 on the core on 110% power on a acx 2.0 cooler

Robert7lee

Neo Member
Anyone else experiencing driver crash? I've had this happen a few times now whilst playing Witcher 3. Reference msi card not overclocked.

Restarting the pc stops this from reoccurring successively but it pops up again after a few hours.

I wonder if this is a hardware or software issue?

lmbotiva

Anyone else experiencing driver crash? I've had this happen a few times now whilst playing Witcher 3. Reference msi card not overclocked.

Restarting the pc stops this from reoccurring successively but it pops up again after a few hours.

I wonder if this is a hardware or software issue?
this happened to me the first time i played the witcher 3 after installing the card, but after that i reset the PC and hasn't happened since

pa22word

Uh hey, say there's a game I want to play that doesn't really agree with the latest drivers, but the 980ti I just bought only is rated to work with the newest drivers out.

Can I rollback and be okay, or am I mostly screwed from ever being able to play that game in optimal conditions unless nvidia fixes the problem (which they probably won't, as old as it is now)?

And as far as oc'ing goes, I managed to get my core clock up to 1415 stable and +500 stable mem clock without adjusting the power at all.

Just got mine yesterday. What overclocks have people been able to achieve on a stable level?

I managed to get a quite nice 1400MHz core, and 2000Mhz memory, which was stable in all the Firestrike tests I ran, but would cause crashes in other games such as AC: Black Flag or Lords of the Fallen.

Just got mine yesterday. What overclocks have people been able to achieve on a stable level?

I managed to get a quite nice 1400MHz core, and 2000Mhz memory, which was stable in all the Firestrike tests I ran, but would cause crashes in other games such as AC: Black Flag or Lords of the Fallen.

Try looping Heaven for a few hours, it produces a constant load and is a better stress test than 3DMark in some cases

ZOONAMI

Uh hey, say there's a game I want to play that doesn't really agree with the latest drivers, but the 980ti I just bought only is rated to work with the newest drivers out.

Can I rollback and be okay, or am I mostly screwed from ever being able to play that game in optimal conditions unless nvidia fixes the problem (which they probably won't, as old as it is now)?

And as far as oc'ing goes, I managed to get my core clock up to 1415 stable and +500 stable mem clock without adjusting the power at all.

Are you talking 1415 boosted? Or without boost? That's crazy.

ZOONAMI

So not stable at all, lol. Dial down that core clock to 1250 and you'll be good.

Be sure to report it to Nvidia if you haven't already. Might even want to PM the Nvidia rep that posts regularly on here.

pa22word

Are you talking 1415 boosted? Or without boost? That's crazy.
Boosted. I got the evga superclocked reference, which came with a factory overclock, so I didn't have to push it much more to get it to 1400+, and when I say stable I mean that I ran fire strike for a few hours at the extreme setting and didn't have any problems. As far as games go I haven't had the chance to try a prolonged session, just sputters and spurts here and there, so it might fail there once I try playing witcher 3 or whatever for an extended session lol

And yeah, it shocked the hell out of me that I was even able to push it that far at all considering evga pushed it pretty far just out of the box. Non-ref cards are going to be scary shit once the hardcore crowd gets ahold of them.

To the other guy, yeah I didn't even think about messaging Andy. Next time I see him around I'll def drop him a pm!

Yo, this Inno3D card tho

0885a730-6799-47d6-a27c-104f0386a1af.jpg

wiggleb0t

Banned
Aussie dollar blows hard. With Witcher 3 & GTA V supporting SLI I'm considering holding off flipping my 770s 4gb until next year.
What would be better option g-sync or 980ti? I'm only 120hz 1080p atm.

pa22word

Aussie dollar blows hard. With Witcher 3 & GTA V supporting SLI I'm considering holding off flipping my 770s 4gb until next year.
What would be better option g-sync or 980ti? I'm only 120hz 1080p atm.

As someone with both and who had the former well before the other, gsync unquestionably should be your first priority unless you're planning on upgrading your monitor in the near future to 1440p or higher as the prices on gsync'd higher res monitors atm is kind of crazy, and are bound to come down with a years' time. Plus, I really don't think jumping to 1440p+ on a 770 is going to be very pleasant :x

980ti is just more power. Gsync is a total game changer on all fronts. Not to mention if you get yourself a gsync monitor it'll naturally give your 770 a little longer legs as the added benefits from having playable framerates anywhere 30+ gives you more breathing room to work with newer games.

lmbotiva

my card makes this weird cracking sound when the temps are going down after gaming, it does the sound twice with a space of 10 seconds or so between them, weird, in all my years i never heard that in a videocard

Theonik

OK, I missed something...why is everyone wanting the G1 over the other options?
People saw out of context OC'd benchmarks where it was beating Titan X and went bananas.
But most non-ref designs are likely to have better cooling and be higher bin parts so you should expect them to perform much better, especially if you OC.

The 4 cards I'd be most interested in personal would be the Gigabyte G1 Gaming, MSI Lightning, EVGA Classified and the Asus Strix. The Gigabyte G1 gaming is showing up available to purchase so it's getting a lot of attention.

People saw out of context OC'd benchmarks where it was beating Titan X and went bananas.
But most non-ref designs are likely to have better cooling and be higher bin parts so you should expect them to perform much better, especially if you OC.

OK, so like, going with the ACX would be just fine, then.

Theonik

OK, so like, going with the ACX would be just fine, then.
What Felix said. Whatever card you go with, do consider shelling a bit extra for the OC'd cards, if you are already in for $650 for the GPU, as higher bin parts can be tweaked for significant performance boosts and the hike in price is low.

It's a very good card. It's very quiet and it's cooling is much better than the reference. The G1 Gaming appears to have better cooling but is much louder. Most other air cooled non-reference cards haven't been reviewed yet.

I think it's time we put "much louder" into perspective here.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/gr...orce-gtx-titan-black-ghz-edition_4.html#sect0

This is the xbitlabs review of the Gigabyte GTX Titan Black with Windforce 3X. The Titan Black also happens to be a 250W TDP Nvidia flagship GPU, so it should have power dissipation in line with the 980 Ti.

You can see the graphs of Windforce 3X against MSI Twin Frozr IV and ASUS DirectCU II. Note that on the 980 Ti, MSI is now using Twin Frozr V and ASUS is using DirectCU III. Twin Frozr hasn't changed that much over the years, but DirectCU III will now have 3 fans instead of 2. So we can expect the MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6G to perform similarly to this chart in cooling, but we have no idea what to expect from the ASUS Strix 980 Ti except that it will be probably much better than what is shown here. Also note that these noise measurements were taken at a distance of 15 cm from the video cards on an open testbed, now I admit that I play PC games on a comfy couch while looking at a TV so I'm probably further away from my PC than some of you guys are, but I hope nobody here plays PC games with their video card 15 cm away from their ears.

The Windforce 3X is undoubtedly the best of the 3 aftermarket coolers shown, but at 100% fan speed which you'll never reach unless you set it manually it's also by far the loudest. But that's because the Windforce 3X's 100% fan speed is considerably higher RPM than the other 2 coolers. In other words if you limit the Windforce 3X to the same default automatic maximum fan speed that the Twin Frozr IV and DirectCU II have, it's actually quieter than the other two. No matter what, all 3 of these aftermarket coolers are far and away superior to the EVGA ACX 2.0+ cooler, you can buy any of these 3 cards and outperform the ACX 2.0+ with no problems.

Since the MSI and ASUS cards are delayed into July, this is the best comparison I can give you guys. I'll be getting my Gigabyte G1 on Tuesday, then we'll see what's what with the physical product.

I'm waiting until the 16th to see what AMD shows but I'm thinking that it's pretty likely I'll end up going with the 980 ti.

However I noticed that it only has 1 HDMI port and 1 dvi port and that won't work with my current setup.

Will a cheap displayport to hdmi cable work for connecting this card to a monitor?

spicy cho

I'm waiting until the 16th to see what AMD shows but I'm thinking that it's pretty likely I'll end up going with the 980 ti.

However I noticed that it only has 1 HDMI port and 1 dvi port and that won't work with my current setup.

Will a cheap displayport to hdmi cable work for connecting this card to a monitor?
some models have two DVI ports. Does that make any difference for you?

datamage

I think it's time we put "much louder" into perspective here.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/gr...orce-gtx-titan-black-ghz-edition_4.html#sect0

This is the xbitlabs review of the Gigabyte GTX Titan Black with Windforce 3X. The Titan Black also happens to be a 250W TDP Nvidia flagship GPU, so it should have power dissipation in line with the 980 Ti.

You can see the graphs of Windforce 3X against MSI Twin Frozr IV and ASUS DirectCU II. Note that on the 980 Ti, MSI is now using Twin Frozr V and ASUS is using DirectCU III. Twin Frozr hasn't changed that much over the years, but DirectCU III will now have 3 fans instead of 2. So we can expect the MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6G to perform similarly to this chart in cooling, but we have no idea what to expect from the ASUS Strix 980 Ti except that it will be probably much better than what is shown here. Also note that these noise measurements were taken at a distance of 15 cm from the video cards on an open testbed, now I admit that I play PC games on a comfy couch while looking at a TV so I'm probably further away from my PC than some of you guys are, but I hope nobody here plays PC games with their video card 15 cm away from their ears.

The Windforce 3X is undoubtedly the best of the 3 aftermarket coolers shown, but at 100% fan speed which you'll never reach unless you set it manually it's also by far the loudest. But that's because the Windforce 3X's 100% fan speed is considerably higher RPM than the other 2 coolers. In other words if you limit the Windforce 3X to the same default automatic maximum fan speed that the Twin Frozr IV and DirectCU II have, it's actually quieter than the other two. No matter what, all 3 of these aftermarket coolers are far and away superior to the EVGA ACX 2.0+ cooler, you can buy any of these 3 cards and outperform the ACX 2.0+ with no problems.

Since the MSI and ASUS cards are delayed into July, this is the best comparison I can give you guys. I'll be getting my Gigabyte G1 on Tuesday, then we'll see what's what with the physical product.

You seem to have an agenda VS EVGA. Perhaps you should define "far and away superior." I have my 980 Ti ACX @ 1440 boost, with no voltage added, and it hovers around 75 degrees at load. Almost every single one of your posts is something vs EVGA and it's just getting old at this point.

Also, in the grand scheme of things, overclocking by another 50Mhz or so isn't going to yield anything of significance.

You seem to have an agenda VS EVGA. Perhaps you should define "far and away superior." I have my 980 Ti ACX @ 1440 boost, with no voltage added, and it hovers around 75 degrees at load. Almost every single one of your posts is something vs EVGA and it's just getting old at this point.

Also, in the grand scheme of things, overclocking by another 50Mhz or so isn't going to yield anything of significance.

It's probably because I had 2 EVGA cards die on me back in the day, a 260 and a 470. It's probably just an old grudge but I still don't like them to this day. Maybe they're better now than they were in those days, who knows. But I've never had any video card die on me except those two EVGA's so it's not something I ever forgot.

I've owned video cards going back almost 20 years and those were literally the only two I ever had die on me. The 470 made me especially mad because it was one I bought at launch, it arrived DOA and would crash trying to boot to Windows XP, it couldn't even make it to the desktop. The 260 died after 6 months of use. Ah, memories.

Top Bottom