• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

I spent a total of $699 for the regular 980 Ti via Step Up!
$650 (980 + difference of Ti) + $30 (extended warranty since I didn't register within 14 days) + $19 to ship

I would have been better off selling my GTX 980 FTW Sealed for what I got it for ($480) and then buying the Ti Hybrid. My decisions suck!

I should have opened my 980 a LONG time ago, give it some good playing time while registering it on time, and I would have been only paying the difference + shipping. Oh well, I learned.

Now the waiting game :X

It'll take a while for the prices to react to this though, right?

The 980 Ti is still out of stock in a lot of places. Even if the Fury X is amazing, price drops are unlikely since demand continues to outstrip supply. The only scenario where I see a price drop is if Fury X outperforms 980 Ti by like 50%+ and demand instantly drops to zero, then a price drop could happen. Otherwise, Nvidia will just charge the Nvidia Tax and keep on trucking.

I anticipate a huge price drop on the OG 980 though, that thing is dead meat if it's competing against the regular Fury at $500.

x3sphere

I got my EVGA 980 Ti ACX today. Nice card, overclocked it right away and it's hitting 1400 MHz core in TW3. Going to try pushing it further later but happy with this. So quiet too, can't hear the fans at all while gaming. Doesn't go over 80C on auto fan.

ZOONAMI

In the case of Titan X vs 980Ti, the Titan has a fully enabled GM200 chip which means there's a little bit more there that needs power delivered, and more of the die space thusly generating heat. Since the 980Ti is cut down slightly it can use more of that same allotted power to push for higher stable overclocks. And with marginally less heat produced on the core of the chip the mostly adequete reference cooler goes that extra mile on the 980Ti.

Closing the gap on a Titan X is a matter of hitting those higher boost clocks consistently at a rate that sufficiently trumps the Titans ability. Based on those above factors reference vs reference, that gap is closed from say a native 8-10% gap to something more like 2-4%.

But adequate as the reference cooler is, it still runs into that 84 degree threshold that adversely affects some of the real boosting potential. You'll see the cards with the best aftermarket coolers for instance hitting not only a higher boost clock than reference, but hitting that clock and mostly flat-lining there, without that wider frequent up and down range you would get with a lesser cooler.

Nvidia does themselves a great disservice by not allowing their partners to put aftermarket coolers on the Titan. But it's just as well because we get to feel better about our purchase where a reference 980Ti is within spitting distance of a Titan X out of the box, and non-reference models blow by it, all for less than $700. :)

My card does not hit 84 degrees, although I did adjust the fan profile to be a bit more aggressive. Highest I've seen it is 75. I use it in my living room with surround sound on my 4k tv, so I don't really hear the fan.

I think the benefit of aftermarket coolers are overblown, you're just raising the temps of the other components of the case, for maybe a 20-50 mhz boost clock increase. Plus their all plastic and don't look as cool as the Nvidia reference design. Seems like the dual and triple fan designs can be pretty loud too.

jKSxi1m.png

waiting intensifies ;_;

knitoe

My card does not hit 84 degrees, although I did adjust the fan profile to be a bit more aggressive. Highest I've seen it is 75. I use it in my living room with surround sound on my 4k tv, so I don't really hear the fan.

I think the benefit of aftermarket coolers are overblown, you're just raising the temps of the other components of the case, for maybe a 20-50 mhz boost clock increase. Plus their all plastic and don't look as cool as the Nvidia reference design. Seems like the dual and triple fan designs can be pretty loud too.

On my SLI Titans X with the reference cooler using the default fan profile, running the Witcher 3, they quickly and easy hits the thermal limits = downclocking, saw max 89C. And, they were loud when hitting the thermal limits. Switch them to EVGA ACX 2+ coolers using the default fan profile, they mostly stayed under the thermal limit. Thus, generally, stayed at the boost speeds. Plus, it was much more quiet. So, yeah, custom coolers are much better unless you have very poor airflow in your case.

Jumpman

Blowing warm air into your case has a negligible effect if you have any kind of average airflow. It only deserves thought if you have the worlds worst airflow, or if you are doing sli with no slots for separation. Most dual and triple fan designs are vastly quieter than a reference cooler, and do a better job at a lower fan speed. And once a reference cooler gets some miles on it things can get terribly noisy. They start out ok, but they don't stay ok like the other coolers do.

Looks are of course subjective. Many aftermarket cards looks silly, many look great imo. Reference coolers have historically looked really cheap and stupid. That's not the case with Nvidia's recent reference cooler that is sexy as hell imo. So thank god for that.

It's good to hear you've avoided the 84 degree wall that most every reviewer hits. It is possible with a faster fan profile as you've seen. I hope for your benefit the noise levels stay acceptable as your fan ages. My experience's in the past were negative enough to dissuade me from risking reference again.

laxu

Got my Gigabyte G1 980 Ti. I can hit over 1400 easily and the card is nice and quiet on both idle and load. I'll have to see what upping the voltage does for overclocks, hoping to get to 1500. Temps seem to hover around 70 degrees on load.

The card is about the same size as my previous Gigabyte GTX 970 WF3X OC cards even though Gigabyte's site says different (they've obviously measured connectors and plates on the 970 but only the card and its cooler on the 980 Ti). Fits fine in my Fractal Define R3 but is probably one of the largest cards.

Happy to be back with a single card to be honest. Having all this horsepower and not being able to use DSR (because it doesn't work with SLI+G-Sync) or MFAA (does not work with SLI at all) seemed a bit of a waste.

Performance when overclocked is quite similar to my overclocked 970 SLI. I haven't bothered looking at framerates but it seems to perform about the same, maybe even a bit smoother overall. I think I'll stick to this until Nvidia comes out with a worthy successor.

This card works well with VR?

Im planing to build a PC for the future with VR without upgrading for at least 3 years.

I mean, it's a new card with a lot of power, but unless you really want it for games you're playing now, then I would wait until VR actually comes out to buy a GPU. You know how quickly new cards come out.

Zexen

Okay, so here's a benchmark before my motherboard decided to eat shit. Seems to work pretty well.

ACX 2.0 SC, currently waiting from EVGA to approve the MB RMA. :(

So I see in my Step Up details I paid a shipping cost. Is that a shipping cost from the new item to me?

So I still had to pay my own shipping for my current product to them, correct?

because there is a "shipping out" option that I selected. and it cost me $19 when on the site, it shows only $12.57

Serick

Married Member
So I see in my Step Up details I paid a shipping cost. Is that a shipping cost from the new item to me?

So I still had to pay my own shipping for my current product to them, correct?

because there is a "shipping out" option that I selected. and it cost me $19 when on the site, it shows only $12.57

Yeah shipping cost is solely them to you. You still have to pay to ship your own card to them.

Just sent my card UPS to EVGA, should get to them on Monday. The wait is driving me mad!

Yeah shipping cost is solely them to you. You still have to pay to ship your own card to them.

Just sent my card UPS to EVGA, should get to them on Monday. The wait is driving me mad!

Damn! That's what I thought. So I ended up paying about $710 overall for this damn card. I will FOREVER register my product immediately from now on. That's so close to a Hybrid version.

Mine will get to them on Monday, too! So I'm hoping to receive mine by next Friday. HYPE

Serick

Married Member
Damn! That's what I thought. So I ended up paying about $710 overall for this damn card. I will FOREVER register my product immediately from now on. That's so close to a Hybrid version.

Mine will get to them on Monday, too! So I'm hoping to receive mine by next Friday. HYPE

Yeah, I fell into the same boat. I fully did not expect to be doing the step-up to the TI so I had to buy the extended warranty as well.

FML

Among the non-reference 980ti, what's the most recommended? Gigabyte G1?

Gigabyte G1 is the only available non-reference AC 980 Ti right now, so you don't have a lot of choices there. MSI and ASUS non-reference are apparently coming in July.

If you don't feel like waiting, there's nothing wrong with the Gigabyte G1. I'm happily maintaining a 1471 core OC on mine with stock voltage and the card gets to 67C with a quiet 50% fan speed. I could push it further with overvoltage and still not be anywhere near the cooling capacity of the Windforce.

Lexxism

Gigabyte G1 is the only available non-reference AC 980 Ti right now, so you don't have a lot of choices there. MSI and ASUS non-reference are apparently coming in July.

If you don't feel like waiting, there's nothing wrong with the Gigabyte G1. I'm happily maintaining a 1471 core OC on mine with stock voltage and the card gets to 67C with a quiet 50% fan speed. I could push it further with overvoltage and still not be anywhere near the cooling capacity of the Windforce.
I can wait. Thinking of buying 980ti for myself for my birthday. Currently looking around which one is available but seems like it's only G1 which was released.

Yeah, I fell into the same boat. I fully did not expect to be doing the step-up to the TI so I had to buy the extended warranty as well.

FML

Feels bad. But I'm pretty excited for the new card. I'm sure it'll be a pretty big jump from my current GTX 580.

So who here has the EVGA Hybrid version of the card? That's the one I'm thinking of getting. Two of them, actually.

Just wanted some opinions from regular folk before I purchase(whenever they're available that is lol)

paskowitz

So who here has the EVGA Hybrid version of the card? That's the one I'm thinking of getting. Two of them, actually.

Just wanted some opinions from regular folk before I purchase(whenever they're available that is lol)

Almost nobody has one since supplies have been very short. I put my order in on Amazon on the 6th and it still has not shipped. Newegg on average has stock for ~10 minutes and then they are out. If you want two... you may be waiting a while.

Rolfgang

Here in The Netherlands we can already order the MSI Gaming 6G and according to the shops the cards will arrive at 24 or 25th of June.

jiggles

Banned
First-time SLI user, so forgive me if I ask a stupid question here. My setup looks like this:

img_20150619_103615q4pdt.jpg

Does it matter which card I output to monitor with? All my cables go in to the top card right now, but obviously its airflow is a little more restricted. I ran Furmark for 10 minutes last night to check they were cool enough, and I noticed the top one got hotter in general (peaking at 86C vs the bottom's 72C with no overclock), and got hotter faster. The on screen stats showed it was being pushed a little harder, so I'm not sure if it's all down to it being where it is, or whether it being the "primary" card means it does more work.

If the output card works harder in general, I should make the bottom one do that, because it has much better airflow. Is that right?

GHG

First-time SLI user, so forgive me if I ask a stupid question here. My setup looks like this:

img_20150619_103615q4pdt.jpg

Does it matter which card I output to monitor with? All my cables go in to the top card right now, but obviously its airflow is a little more restricted. I ran Furmark for 10 minutes last night to check they were cool enough, and I noticed the top one got hotter in general (peaking at 86C with no overclock), and got hotter faster. The on screen stats showed it was being pushed a little harder, so I'm not sure if it's all down to it being where it is, or whether it being the "primary" card means it does more work.

If the output card works harder in general, I should make the bottom one do that, because it has much better airflow. Is that right?

I don't know if it has to be your top card but I've always made my primary card the top card.

Your top card will always get hotter regardless because heat from the bottom card rises onto it.

Looking at your setup, you would have been much better off getting 2 blower coolers as they would have moved most of the heat out the back of your case rather than circulate it around your case. I fear for the amount of heat your hard drives will be subjected to :/ ...

zon

Got a mail from the shop I've ordered that they have shipped my card so I'll probably get it monday next week. :)

Mine's a EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Superclocked ACX 2.0+, after that my new rig will be complete and I will slay all games.

jiggles

Banned
I don't know if it has to be your top card but I've always made my primary card the top card.

Your top card will always get hotter regardless because heat from the bottom card rises onto it.

Looking at your setup, you would have been much better off getting 2 blower coolers as they would have moved most of the heat out the back of your case rather than circulate it around your case. I fear for the amount of heat your hard drives will be subjected to :/ ...

I don't think exhaust is really an issue with the case I'm using:
carbide-air-540-5-128cfpiy.jpg

Like, my whole room gets properly warm pretty quick if I'm pushing the PC with the window closed, and it's a big room. But I'll take on your advice and monitor the HDD temps over the next few weeks to see if I need to be concerned (and maybe add an exhaust fan just above the disks).

molnizzle

Any word on when we can expect the EVGA Hybrid?

I'm gonna pair that bitch with an H60 on the CPU and double-rad exhaust out the back of my micro ITX case.

=)

I don't think exhaust is really an issue with the case I'm using:
carbide-air-540-5-128cfpiy.jpg

Like, my whole room gets properly warm pretty quick if I'm pushing the PC with the window closed, and it's a big room. But I'll take on your advice and monitor the HDD temps over the next few weeks to see if I need to be concerned (and maybe add an exhaust fan just above the disks).

Based on mkenyon's advice earlier in the thread, you should be fine. He recommended I go with non-reference cooler and my case has less ventilation than yours. Maybe the position of the harddrives changes things but I would hope not as long as the air is being circulated well.

Non reference 100% without a doubt. I'd only buy the reference when doing SLI on mATX or 3 Way SLI on ATX.

Yep, you can disable SLI while having both cards in there, no prob.

Top Bottom