• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

oxidax

Finally managed to order a Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 last night.

Decided to check one last time before I went to bed to see if Newegg had put up an ETA for new stock.

Much to my surprise it was in stock.

Ordered as fast as I could which took about 30 seconds.

After I had ordered it was out of stock again. :p

I can't believe how sought after these cards are.

Are u fucking kidding me!! I've been f5ing Newegg for the last week.

Edit: Oh wow it's in stock right now lol

I stopped by Microcenter and they had exactly two in stock. The EVGA branded 980ti was $769! I thought it was $650 :(

Stores tend to mark up prices a bit seeing as they have.... overhead. This why I always buy this stuff online.

I wish I had a microcenter around here though. There are things I'd prefer to not buy online until I've seen them in person :(

Tovarisc

Off topic, but as European kinda feeling jelly about any PC HW prices when compared to America. Especially GPU's are noticeably cheaper, both brands, in America.

Stores tend to mark up prices a bit seeing as they have.... overhead. This why I always buy this stuff online.

I wish I had a microcenter around here though. There are things I'd prefer to not buy online until I've seen them in person :(
I see... The funny thing is that with an employee discount, it becomes the regular price. But yeah, Microcenter is pretty damn awesome. It's cool seeing so many things you normally see online right in front of you.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Would not have expected to be upgrading from a 970 SC to a 980 Ti SC+, but the performance gap is plainly obvious and satisfying. Pretty sure it's the most I've ever spent on a GPU, but after trying the consumer Rift with some sweet demos at E3 I'm not batting an eye. Next-gen has arrived, so to speak.

Would not have expected to be upgrading from a 970 SC to a 980 Ti SC+, but the performance gap is plainly obvious and satisfying. Pretty sure it's the most I've ever spent on a GPU, but after trying the consumer Rift with some sweet demos at E3 I'm not batting an eye. Next-gen has arrived, so to speak.

Dude its so worth it. Fantastic card. Moving up from my 780ti was like night and day.

Now download MSI Afterburner and get a few more mhz out of that core and that RAM!

Don't blink guys:

Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Gaming in stock at Newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&AID=10440897&PID=3891137&SID=rewrite

I upgraded from a 970 to a 980 Ti. It was OK because I sold the 970 to someone who's going to give it a nice home in a new PC for 1080p gaming.

You made a great choice. I have no doubt that 980ti will be able to push the first couple rounds of VR at 2k 90fps+. I too have tried the Rift. Dk1 blew my mind, but still needed some improvements. I was extremely pleased with the Dk2 and the changes. It'll be extremely fun to see what the consumer rift and vive bring to the table. VR will soon be upon us guys. I know my Ti is ready.

mintylurb

I'm surprised you can't go a bit higher. I have the same card and have mine at 1400mhz perfectly stable. Are you crashing when you go higher or are you just playing it safe and haven't tried?

I'm so damn impressed with this card. Witcher 3 runs flawlessly at 1440p, everything Ultra but Hairworks. Coming from a 780ti, the jump when you OC this thing high is insane. I loved that card but man, 980ti really is just fantastic.

Edit: I should add that mine is the SC edition, maybe that makes a difference?
I got a question as I have the same card. Did you increase the power limt when you oc'd the core clock to 1400mhz? Also, did you oc the memory as well?

ombz

I got my MSI gaming card today. I am really impressed how quiet it is. The only thing that makes me a little nervous is I have seasonic 550w psu and the Kill a Watt is reading 350w compared to when I had a 290x which peaked at 320w.

Linkup

Goodness the pricing in Sweden isn't that great. Makes more sense to just take the risk and order one off of Amazon UK. 530 euro including shipping is still a good savings. Also the custom coolers are taking their sweet time to become available, bunch are still at preorder status on Overclockers UK.

Kelsdesu

Is there a median card at $400 that would be good on rift?

Hi Gaf,

I recently upgraded my two year old PC build from a GTX 680 to a 980ti (was starting to feel the VRAM limitations, heh).

Just wondering if anyone could look at my current build at let me know if they see any potential bottlenecking with older parts after just swapping out the new GPU:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zssPWZ

Note: I'm overclocking my I-5 to 4.2 GHz

Also, is there any software or websites that help with detecting any bottleneck issues?

Thx in advance!

Wag

I think I got my first stable OC with MSI Afterburner on my EVGA ACX 2.0+ (no SC):

Core: 1442
Memory: 1872

That's with the fan on 70% and no over-voltage. Is that good? I ran Heaven for quite a while at that setting and it was rock solid and my temps were under 60F.

Should I try unlocking the voltage? I don't think I could do much better.

This card is a beast. 😈

x3sphere

The hotfix drivers seem to have improved my performance in TW3 big time. I'm at 3440x1440 and was seeing drops into the mid 40s before, now it stays low 50s and up, usually locked 60 in less demanding areas.

mintylurb

Uho..I opened up my evga 980 ti sc today and pcb board near the edge are chipped at several places..plastic film that is supposed to be covering the gpu wasn't on as well.
I think evga sent me returned unit to me..wtf

badb0y

Uho..I opened up my evga 980 ti sc today and pcb board near the edge are chipped at several places..plastic film that is supposed to be covering the gpu wasn't on as well.
I think evga sent me returned unit to me..wtf

Contact them and demand cross shipping with them paying. This is totally unacceptable.

Those latest drivers only for the 980TI, or also for the TitanX?

GeForce 900 Series
GeForce GTX TITAN X, GeForce GTX 980 Ti, GeForce GTX 980, GeForce GTX 970, GeForce GTX 960
GeForce 700 Series
GeForce GTX TITAN Z, GeForce GTX TITAN Black, GeForce GTX TITAN, GeForce GTX 780 Ti, GeForce GTX 780, GeForce GTX 770, GeForce GTX 760, GeForce GTX 760 Ti (OEM), GeForce GTX 750 Ti, GeForce GTX 750, GeForce GTX 745, GeForce GT 740, GeForce GT 730, GeForce GT 720, GeForce GT 710, GeForce GT 705
GeForce 600 Series
GeForce GTX 690, GeForce GTX 680, GeForce GTX 670, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, GeForce GTX 660, GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST, GeForce GTX 650 Ti, GeForce GTX 650, GeForce GTX 645, GeForce GT 645, GeForce GT 640, GeForce GT 630, GeForce GT 620, GeForce GT 610, GeForce 605
GeForce 500 Series
GeForce GTX 590, GeForce GTX 580, GeForce GTX 570, GeForce GTX 560 Ti, GeForce GTX 560 SE, GeForce GTX 560, GeForce GTX 555, GeForce GTX 550 Ti, GeForce GT 545, GeForce GT 530, GeForce GT 520, GeForce 510
GeForce 400 Series
GeForce GTX 480, GeForce GTX 470, GeForce GTX 465, GeForce GTX 460 SE v2, GeForce GTX 460 SE, GeForce GTX 460, GeForce GTS 450, GeForce GT 440, GeForce GT 430, GeForce GT 420

I've had no problem with these drivers so far, and there's definitely been some improvement in TW3.

baphomet

So are there any major differences between a reference 980 ti and, say, the MSI gaming version? I'm going to go sli with them, but just curious if there's a performance gap between them.

Hi Gaf,

I recently upgraded my two year old PC build from a GTX 680 to a 980ti (was starting to feel the VRAM limitations, heh).

Just wondering if anyone could look at my current build at let me know if they see any potential bottlenecking with older parts after just swapping out the new GPU:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zssPWZ

Note: I'm overclocking my I-5 to 4.2 GHz

Also, is there any software or websites that help with detecting any bottleneck issues?

Thx in advance!

Not really a performance bottleneck but I'd get a 1440p monitor if you're getting a 980 Ti. If you're going 1080p you may as well save some money and get a 970.

So are there any major differences between a reference 980 ti and, say, the MSI gaming version? I'm going to go sli with them, but just curious if there's a performance gap between them.

Usually non-reference cards will have better cooling, possibly better voltage regulation, and more often than not, higher clock/mem speeds.

Better cooling could help the card maintain high boost clocks when gaming, without manual overclocking. Of course, with better cooling, you can also push clocks higher than you might be able to on a reference board. Also, some people just prefer different looks.

It really depends how far the Vender (MSI for example) want to go with it though, really. Some cards are built for overclocking and are marketed as such. Just look at the G1 version of the 980ti.. it's got much better performance over the reference card.

Hope it helps.

mintylurb

Contact them and demand cross shipping with them paying. This is totally unacceptable.

I'm pissed now. There were some issues with UPS delivering this card.. Got the card after the 3rd attempt.
I open it up today and while attaching the backplate, noticed the chipped pcb board. I just wanted to freaking resume playing witcher 3. Newegg sends me used motherboard and now this.

Welp, I put one of my OG 6 GB Titans on ebay for a 3 day auction starting @ $350. Let's see what happens. If I get $400 I'll be happy. I'll end up paying $50 in fees anyways. 😢

I really need that 2nd 980Ti. I have less horsepower @ 4k than I did with 3 Titans. Witcher 3 is almost unplayable.

Can you show me the most fool proof safest way of selling cards on ebay without getting scammed? I want to sell my strix 970 sli after getting a pair of 980ti g1's

Wag

Can you show me the most fool proof safest way of selling cards on ebay without getting scammed? I want to sell my strix 970 sli after getting a pair of 980ti g1's

No guarantees in life. I just put them up and hope for the best. I haven't gotten scammed yet. I'll only sell to people in the continental US tho, not Canada or anywhere else.

Not really a performance bottleneck but I'd get a 1440p monitor if you're getting a 980 Ti. If you're going 1080p you may as well save some money and get a 970.

I really don't understand this mentality. I couldn't max out a lot of games to hold stable 1080/60 on my 780ti which is very close to the 970 in terms of performance. But on my ti I get 1080/60 max on everything I throw at it. And don't forget future proof.

Wag

Yeah, I would have used the GAF for sale thread but I think I would have gotten a much higher price on eBay, even after the fees.

At any rate, my 980Ti has a shitload of coil whine. 😢 I have to decide whether I want to keep it. It overclocks really well, so there's a trade off.

Hi guys,

After having my EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid pushed back to arriving on the 18th of July I decided to go instead with the Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1. Getting delivered to my workplace this Tuesday along with my Acer Predator XB270HU monitor.

From owners of the card how well would you rate it? For reference I'm upgrading from a Saphire HD 7950 OC Boost card.

Wallach

I'm considering the same upgrade, but I think I will probably put off until the Rift actually gets to retail. Maybe Fallout 4 if it turns out my 970 can't max that 60 @ 1080p for some reason.

finalflame

Just put in my two Step Ups today with EVGA. Will run me $114 per card with shipping, or $228 total to go from my 2x980s to 2x980 Tis.

Hopefully they get to my spot in the queue some time before Pascal comes out.

Seanspeed

Banned
I really don't understand this mentality. I couldn't max out a lot of games to hold stable 1080/60 on my 780ti which is very close to the 970 in terms of performance. But on my ti I get 1080/60 max on everything I throw at it. And don't forget future proof.
Very few games can't do 60fps at 1080p with a 970.

You'd be spending *double* just to get a slightly more stable framerate in a few games or the ability to turn a couple little settings up.

You'd be spending *double* just to get a slightly more stable framerate in a few games or the ability to turn a couple little settings up.

People always forget about DSR. Even if you're only on a 1080p display, you can use DSR to get extremely visible and pleasant image quality improvements, especially in games which only supprt FXAA.

finalflame

Like someone else mentioned, DSR gives very tangible benefits at any resolution. Not only that, but things like GameWorks and MSAA will take a huge toll on framerate but provide very nice IQ improvements.

I don't think a 980 Ti is overkill for 1080p if you want to have upcoming games absolutely maxed out on 1080p without worry about dipping < 60fps. There's also a point at which you start to chase performance. I used to have a single 780 Ti, now I have 2 980s. I will soon have 2 980 Tis, and at this point, I cannot ever imagine going back to a single card or to anything below the 980 tier of cards.

I'm also gaming at 1440p, but still.

Seanspeed

Banned
Like someone else mentioned, DSR gives very tangible benefits at any resolution. Not only that, but things like GameWorks and MSAA will take a huge toll on framerate but provide very nice IQ improvements.

I don't think a 980 Ti is overkill for 1080p if you want to have upcoming games absolutely maxed out on 1080p without worry about dipping < 60fps. There's also a point at which you start to chase performance. I used to have a single 780 Ti, now I have 2 980s. I will soon have 2 980 Tis, and at this point, I cannot ever imagine going back to a single card or to anything below the 980 tier of cards.

I'm also gaming at 1440p, but still.
Yes, downsampling is great, but you're playing at a higher resolution at that point! It would look much running natively at a higher res.

And yes, if you obsess over 'maxing out' games, then sure, but you're paying a shitload extra to do it. I'm not saying don't do it or that there's no use, but it becomes a pretty poor value proposition when a 970 can do as well as it does at 1080p.

finalflame

Yes, downsampling is great, but you're playing at a higher resolution at that point! It would look much running natively at a higher res.

And yes, if you obsess over 'maxing out' games, then sure, but you're paying a shitload extra to do it. I'm not saying don't do it or that there's no use, but it becomes a pretty poor value proposition when a 970 can do as well as it does at 1080p.

Yah, price vs. performance for 1080p it's a poor value proposition for most.

Honestly, until the 980 Ti I wouldn't have swayed people to go for 1440p display on a single card. I think the 980 Ti is the first card that can be expected to handle a stable 1440p 60fps for at least the foreseeable future of upcoming titles.

Top Bottom