• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

badb0y

Hi guys,

After having my EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid pushed back to arriving on the 18th of July I decided to go instead with the Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1. Getting delivered to my workplace this Tuesday along with my Acer Predator XB270HU monitor.

From owners of the card how well would you rate it? For reference I'm upgrading from a Saphire HD 7950 OC Boost card.
From where???

Seanspeed

Banned
2K is 1080p....
2K can mean several different things, which is why I hate when people use it.

Yah, price vs. performance for 1080p it's a poor value proposition for most.

Honestly, until the 980 Ti I wouldn't have swayed people to go for 1440p display on a single card. I think the 980 Ti is the first card that can be expected to handle a stable 1440p 60fps for at least the foreseeable future of upcoming titles.
Definitely.

Yah, price vs. performance for 1080p it's a poor value proposition for most.

Honestly, until the 980 Ti I wouldn't have swayed people to go for 1440p display on a single card. I think the 980 Ti is the first card that can be expected to handle a stable 1440p 60fps for at least the foreseeable future of upcoming titles.

More than that, the 980 Ti is the first card which can credibly claim to stay above 30 fps in most games with settings maxed in 4K. It's the first true 4K video card if you're not obsessed with 60 fps and are interested in pushing the resolution envelope.

I'm looking forward to playing games like GTAV and The Witcher 3 in 4K on my Gigabyte G1.

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/84284-gigabyte-geforce-gtx-980-ti-g1-gaming-6gb/

6d29fd03-39ae-4f94-b5d2-aec255d2aa8f.png

e05502a2-58ce-4a69-851e-789732030ebf.png

finalflame

I'm having a really hard time not dumping my two R9 290s and just grabbing a 980Ti, must wait for Pascal.

I think waiting for Pascal is a smart move, even if the 980 Ti would be a nice improvement over a single 290. Dunno about giving up X-Fire 290s for a 980 Ti, although you;d have far less headaches with compatibility.

If I wasn't eligible to step up my 980s via EVGA's program, I'd just wait for Pascal, personally.

More than that, the 980 Ti is the first card which can credibly claim to stay above 30 fps in most games with settings maxed in 4K. It's the first true 4K video card if you're not obsessed with 60 fps and are interested in pushing the resolution envelope.

You're right, it can hold its own at 4k/30+ FPS for the most current games (GTA V, Witcher 3, Metro: LL). The issue is that being close to 30 means hitting sub-30 in performance intensive areas, and it also means that very soon it will not be able to max out new games at 4K. I still think SLi is the only way to go for 4K, and that Pascal will be the true 4K frontier in terms of GPU.

I'm looking forward to playing games like GTAV and The Witcher 3 in 4K on my Gigabyte G1.

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/84284-gigabyte-geforce-gtx-980-ti-g1-gaming-6gb/

The Gigabyte G1's performance is very impressive.

I've got one ordered for my new build.

I'll be playing in 1080p. :p

You're right, it can hold its own at 4k/30+ FPS for the most current games (GTA V, Witcher 3, Metro: LL). The issue is that being close to 30 means hitting sub-30 in performance intensive areas, and it also means that very soon it will not be able to max out new games at 4K. I still think SLi is the only way to go for 4K, and that Pascal will be the true 4K frontier in terms of GPU.

Pascal might still be at least a year away, so what we have now with the 980 Ti is really amazing considering we're still stuck on 28 nm and the 980 Ti is using GDDR5. I for one plan to live long enough to upgrade to Pascal, but in the meantime I'll be able to enjoy 4K gaming for a year until that time comes. I've actually had my 4K TV for nearly a year now and I've had the thirst something bad for 4K gaming on it. This card slakes that thirst until Pascal in God-Knows-When-2016.

Renekton

Very few games can't do 60fps at 1080p with a 970.

You'd be spending *double* just to get a slightly more stable framerate in a few games or the ability to turn a couple little settings up.
Heck even 960 can sometimes. But they are not close to consistent, plus you have fiddle settings/ini for the middle ground between high and ultra.

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/xTaeCr3.jpg[/img]

Seanspeed

Banned
Heck even 960 can sometimes. But they are not close to consistent, plus you have fiddle settings/ini for the middle ground between high and ultra.

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/xTaeCr3.jpg[/img]
It's pretty simple with a 970 in TW3. Turn down foliage distance to High, shadows to medium and Hairworks off. Boom. Consistent 60fps.

Didn't even need to 'fiddle' a ton. Nvidia's graphics/performance guide is super useful to get up and running real quick.

finalflame

Pascal might still be at least a year away, so what we have now with the 980 Ti is really amazing considering we're still stuck on 28 nm and the 980 Ti is using GDDR5. I for one plan to live long enough to upgrade to Pascal, but in the meantime I'll be able to enjoy 4K gaming for a year until that time comes. I've actually had my 4K TV for nearly a year now and I've had the thirst something bad for 4K gaming on it. This card slakes that thirst until Pascal in God-Knows-When-2016.

Oh yah, totally agree, it's a killer card even for 4K. Specially if you have a 4K TV already in your home. Gonna be some good times.

I am just waiting to upgrade my 2x980s to 2x980 Tis with EVGA's Step Up, so I'm right there with ya. I plan on getting a 4K TV next year alongside Pascal, and hopefully an IPS 4K 144hz G-Sync display will also be out by then. 2016 just feels like the year to really go headfirst into 4K :)

Read that review last night, makes me shake with delight thinking how well I'll be able to play Witcher 3 at 1440p. Goodbye my old Samsung 1080p HDTV, hello real gaming. :D

Skyzard

Banned
Worried about reading gtav microstutterring issues without sli on a 98ti, thought some are saying it's due to a recent game patch...

Also UK stock is taking forever for the non default version.

iceatcs

Can't believe many of there just upgrade something like 780 or 970 to 980 ti. It seem lot of impatience here heh.

I just glad because upgrade from 570 to 980ti like holy grail. Make me back to gaming even more, as I was almost gave up and stay with mobile gaming only.

zon

I went from a XFX Radeon 6950 to the EVGA 980 Ti SC+ AC2.0+, you can imagine the difference in power. I haven't even oc'ed it and it still runs everything at max with no problems :D

KHlover

Banned
Can't believe many of there just upgrade something like 780 or 970 to 980 ti. It seem lot of impatience here heh.

I just glad because upgrade from 570 to 980ti like holy grail. Make me back to gaming even more, as I was almost gave up and stay with mobile gaming only.
It's very noticable even with newer cards. I went from a GTX770 4GB to the GTX980 4GB just a few days ago. My framerate in Witcher 3 doubled from 30 to 60fps (to be fair I played already on Ultra before) and I get to enjoy the bells and whistles like hairworks (is there a way to enable it on everyone BUT Geralt?) and AA without dropping noticeably below 60.

Vash63

Or just high standards. I just bought one from a 780 ti which is close to a 980. I run my games on a 2560x1440/144Hz display with gsync though, and it'll be a lot nicer to max out games at 40% higher framerates.

CSJ

I received my 980ti yesterday, upgrade from a 970.

Thing is, the 970 really did perform well in most games at 1440p, I might have to turn some stuff down to keep 60fps (or more because I have 144hz and it's nice when you get above 60, to a point. Usually turning stuff off like nvidia physx stuf flike hairworks/etc like the batman game, or one notch down on foliage/shadows or something.

But, I needed more grunt and the 980ti has double my FPS in a lot of games, even unfinished games like star citizen were I got 25-30fps in the hangar but 45-55 in space.
Now? 60+ in the hangar, haven't tested space yet. Even the new batman game for me is running very nicely, with a modified config file of course.

I'm very happy, the differences are noticable and I can throw everything on max.

The idea that a 980ti is overkill for 1080p is nonsense. At this res you can run the highest meaningful settings plus lots of AA and dsr, and hit 60fps consistently enough to negate almost all of the need for variable sync. In a year's time you'll be glad of the extra power. More and more modern games are targeting 1080p60 on high end gpus with all the meaningful settings on.

CSJ

The idea that a 980ti is overkill for 1080p is nonsense. At this res you can run the highest meaningful settings plus lots of AA and dsr, and hit 60fps consistently enough to negate almost all of the need for variable sync. In a year's time you'll be glad of the extra power. More and more modern games are targeting 1080p60 on high end gpus with all the meaningful settings on.

Exactly, it's something I always stuck to in the past, buy an obscenely powerful graphics card that isn't running at insane resolutions that'll not last long, or run it at an average res and have it run everything very well until it probably dies.

Until my last 970>980ti upgrade that what I did, I only had to upgrade when they all eventually died after 4-6 years. Plus as some have said, you can push past 60fps very easily for 120/144hz.

There's no such thing as overkill with current tech.

Renekton

It's pretty simple with a 970 in TW3. Turn down foliage distance to High, shadows to medium and Hairworks off. Boom. Consistent 60fps.

Didn't even need to 'fiddle' a ton. Nvidia's graphics/performance guide is super useful to get up and running real quick.
Hmm true, shadow change was a solid 5-8 fps.

pa22word

Anyone else having weird issues where the card will downclock to like 600 MHz core clock and then crash the game after a few mins of play?
I have an evga superclocked reference model, so if it's just a hw issue on my end I'll just rma it or whatever.

I got a question as I have the same card. Did you increase the power limt when you oc'd the core clock to 1400mhz? Also, did you oc the memory as well?

Nope didn't increase power limit at all, and OC'd RAM as well. I could have just gotten lucky on my card and gotten one of the better ones. But its not super uncommon those as others in this thread are getting 1400mhz out of theirs as well.

Either way the 980ti is an OC beast

Can anyone explain why you need to manually up the clocks. Why can't you just increase the voltage, drop the temps and let gpu boost do the rest?

Tovarisc

Anyone else having weird issues where the card will downclock to like 600 MHz core clock and then crash the game after a few mins of play?
I have an evga superclocked reference model, so if it's just a hw issue on my end I'll just rma it or whatever.

Sounds like GPU hitting temp threshold after which it automatically starts to downclock itself in attempt to maintain or lower temperature below threshold. Apparently GTX980Ti's with reference cooler are in risk of hitting temp limits.

Sounds like GPU hitting temp threshold after which it automatically starts to downclock itself in attempt to maintain or lower temperature below threshold. Apparently GTX980Ti's with reference cooler are in risk of hitting temp limits.
They'll hit voltage 'VREL' limits quite a bit before temp limits in my experience. GPU-Z will tell you why it won't boost higher.

I really don't understand this mentality. I couldn't max out a lot of games to hold stable 1080/60 on my 780ti which is very close to the 970 in terms of performance. But on my ti I get 1080/60 max on everything I throw at it. And don't forget future proof.

Also 120hz... the 980 Ti is nice on 1080p+, but it isn't exactly useless/ or overly powerful for 1080p.

Tovarisc

They'll hit voltage 'VREL' limits quite a bit before temp limits in my experience. GPU-Z will tell you why it won't boost higher.

Issue he has sounds more like card boosting just fine, but hitting temp threshold which causes automatic downclock which then makes game unstable as GPU drops in performance fast.

The 980Ti sees more of a boost in 1080p performance over the 980 than the 980 did over the 970. The increase in 1440p performance is only a few percent higher than its increase in 1080p performance.

Yeah and it isn't even than much of overkill 1080p60 at everything maxed - even with 20% oc on core i'm getting drops to 65-70 fps in Tomb Raider 2013 with SSAAx4 with TressFX and Ultra shadows.

Witcher 3 at ultra + Hairworks also isn't easy on this gpu and I haven't tried messing with options in configuration file that can kill performance even more.

napata

Yeah and it isn't even than much of overkill 1080p60 at everything maxed - even with 20% oc on core i'm getting drops to 65-70 fps in Tomb Raider 2013 with SSAAx4 with TressFX and Ultra shadows.

Witcher 3 at ultra + Hairworks also isn't easy on this gpu and I haven't tried messing with options in configuration file that can kill performance even more.

While I agree that a 980ti is not overkill for 1080p I wouldn't call SSAAx4 1080p.

av2k

Can someone let me know why Pascal is worth waiting for? I googled but failed to find or understand what the hype is about. Currently own 2x 970s.

Tovarisc

Can someone let me know why Pascal is worth waiting for? I googled but failed to find or understand what the hype is about.

Do you have powerful enough GPU to hold you over next ~12 months, maybe more? If not and want good gaming performance "soon" then upgrade now. That said;

Hype is that die size is finally going to shrink from 28nm to 16/14nm, transistor size, in combination with use of HBM2. Currently it's speculated that this most likely means ~40-50% performance increase right off the bat as amount of transistors increases by good margin while power consumption should stay about same or even go down little, mostly thanks to HBM2.

Can someone let me know why Pascal is worth waiting for? I googled but failed to find or understand what the hype is about.

It will be a very interesting GPU because it seems it will introduce/have several new technologies:

- HBM2 with more than 4 GB

- 16nm FinFET manufacturing process and new chip design (less heat, more performance)

- first nvidia GPU which was designed after final adoption of DX12 spec

All this indicates a very high performance potential. Additionally, there is a chance that nvidia will immediately release a powerful version of the new chip instead of just an entry level version like with Maxwell (750ti).

cyen

Gemüsepizza;170048516 said:
It will be a very interesting GPU because it seems it will introduce/have several new technologies:

- 16nm FinFET manufacturing process and new chip design (less heat, more performance)

All this indicates a very high performance potential. Additionally, there is a chance that nvidia will immediately release a powerful version of the new chip instead of just an entry level version like with Maxwell (750ti).

This is still at least a whole year away.

Tovarisc

This is still at least a whole year away.

Mid-2016 earliest if leak about Pascal being taped ~month ago is accurate. Even then you need factor in how good yields are during mass production and how much HBM2 there is to go around, as AMD will be taking its share of that stuff on top of other corporations, and we may be looking at Q3-Q4 2016 for Pascal.

Edit: Fixed some sentence derp

pa22word

Hitting temp limit is what I thought might be happening at first, but I have a pretty aggressive fan curve set with Afterburner that keeps my card under ~65-70 degrees under max load at all times. The weird thing is that it seems to be happening before I boot a game up, because every time its happening I see it reported as ~600 Mhz as soon as the afterburner OSD pops up in game. I shouldn't be hitting any voltage limits, because other than playing around with it when I got it I've been using the factory overclock it came with from EVGA and haven't bumped it past that at all. You mention GPU-Z will tell me what the cause is, and I take that as meaning I should enable the log file option and reference it when the error pops back up? I'll go ahead and enable it just in case.

One thing worth mentioning is that I bumped my core clock up 50 MHz--I read somewhere once that doing so and getting stable results might be because of the factory overclock being unstable on the card I bought--and since then I haven't seen the problem reoccur again. I'll keep toying with it and report back if it pops up again, though.

Thorgal

I really don't understand this mentality. I couldn't max out a lot of games to hold stable 1080/60 on my 780ti which is very close to the 970 in terms of performance. But on my ti I get 1080/60 max on everything I throw at it. And don't forget future proof.

I don't get it either ,

I mean if somebody asked me what card to buy if all he plays is Hearthstones ,WOW ,LOL or Idie games then yes , saying he should buy a 980TI/Titan x doesn't make sense .

On the other hand if he plays the heavier stuff , i would definitely recommend those ( budget reasons notwithstanding ) because even in the future when games require more and it not possible anymore to get smooth gaming at 1440p all it takes it going down to 1080 p and bam you can go for another year or two .

My recommendation would always come from the direction of budget reasons and games he plays , not on whether a card like 980 ti is completely overkill for a 1080 display because at one time in the future it won't be overkill .

Can someone let me know why Pascal is worth waiting for? I googled but failed to find or understand what the hype is about. Currently own 2x 970s.

The idea of "wait for the next GPU!" is a flawed way of looking at it because there is always a new more powerful GPU a year away or less.

Its best to just upgrade when you feel ready to upgrade. Otherwise you'll feel burned when you wait for that GPU, buy it, and rumors start swirling a couple months after you buy it about a card that will smoke it. PC is just always getting stronger.

That said everything we've heard about Pascal sounds very promising but the high end versions could be a year at least away. Its entirely possible it launches with a low end card. If you can afford it and are in the mood to upgrade grab a 980ti. Its an epic GPU.

Personally I upgrade every 2 years. I buy whatever is high end at the time.

There's is absolutely no incentive for nvidia to release anything other than their most gimped version of pascal and then string it out over as many different cards as they can. What they *can* theoretically release is irrelevant. What's the point in releasing a monster +50% card when people will buy +25% cards and then maybe abother +25% card?

Eh, I think an easier way to go about it is just looking for a certain performance increase over what you currently have and the price range you're looking to spend to get it.

av2k

Do you have powerful enough GPU to hold you over next ~12 months, maybe more? If not and want good gaming performance "soon" then upgrade now. That said;

Hype is that die size is finally going to shrink from 28nm to 16/14nm, transistor size, in combination with use of HBM2. Currently it's speculated that this most likely means ~40-50% performance increase right off the bat as amount of transistors increases by good margin while power consumption should stay about same or even go down little, mostly thanks to HBM2.

Gemüsepizza;170048516 said:

Ah thanks guys for breaking it down for me. I was reading about Pascal and all of the terminology confused me so you guys made it pretty black and white for me. Really appreciate it! I'm very excited now that I understand why everyone is waiting for Pascal.

The idea of "wait for the next GPU!" is a flawed way of looking at it because there is always a new more powerful GPU a year away or less.

Its best to just upgrade when you feel ready to upgrade. Otherwise you'll feel burned when you wait for that GPU, buy it, and rumors start swirling a couple months after you buy it about a card that will smoke it. PC is just always getting stronger.

That said everything we've heard about Pascal sounds very promising but the high end versions could be a year at least away. Its entirely possible it launches with a low end card. If you can afford it and are in the mood to upgrade grab a 980ti. Its an epic GPU.

Personally I upgrade every 2 years. I buy whatever is high end at the time.

Completely understandable, I currently have SLI 970s and was thinking my next upgrade would be a Pascal chip 2-3 years from now. Wish I had known that a TI version of the 980 would be out not even half a year later with nearly the same horse power as SLI 970s. :\

3 years from now, hopefully Pascal and Oculus are working together well enough to warrant an upgrade. :)

I don't understand THIS mentality. By the time anything comes out that a 970 can't max at 1080p you'll be able to buy a card more powerful than a 980 Ti at a lower price. "Future proof" should only be used ironically when talking about PC gaming.

Top Bottom