• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

paskowitz

Just got an email from EVGA telling me the 980ti Hybrid is available. Click on the link to go to the website, and all it says is "Auto-notify".

Damn.

Yeah... the official EVGA forum is starting to get restless. Apparently it sold out in less than 15 seconds.

I have had mine on order from Amazon since June 6th and have yet to receive any shipping notification. I am getting the feeling nvidia rushed this launch just so they could beat the Fury X to the market. Amazon currently only has one reference model in stock and has not been able to keep stock really since launch. Same deal with my local microcenter.

Just got an email from EVGA telling me the 980ti Hybrid is available. Click on the link to go to the website, and all it says is "Auto-notify".

Damn.

Yeah, their website was being weird. It said they were in stock so I added one to my cart and began the checkout process, but on the last screen it said they were sold out. I went back to the page about 5 minutes later and they were in stock again, but this time the order went through. I will hopefully have it by Thursday since they are just up in Brea which is about two hours away depending on traffic.

Jumpman

I haven't played (nor do I have any intention of playing) Batman, but this report seems very different from what you are saying:

I've played past the first batmobile sequence and the game runs fine. At 4k with everything including gameworks maxed it is possible to stay comfortably locked at that 30fps cap. In the benchmark I averaged 43fps.

When playing at 1440p with the same settings I'm doing 85-100+ fps during the supposedly problematic flying scenarios. It's smooth. The batmobile sequences do inexplicably drop compared to other gameplay, but with my 980Ti that drop is to an average around 60+ fps. There are mild stutters due to the odd spike in to the 40's and 50's, but it's mostly ok. Across the board the performance could use some optimization I suppose. Most games need some love post launch. But on my end it's far from the epic disaster people are up in arms about.

Of course I'm one point of information and experiences will vary. But if people don't like their performance the first thing I'd do is turn off the gameworks stuff. Just like TW3 it hits performance hard. Based on the benchmarks I've ran, turning off gameworks gains about 50% worth of performance in Batman.

CodeNfX

So tempting! $740 total after tax/shipping for me.

I pulled the trigger last night, already shipped and should receive by tomorrow. I live about 15 miles away from Newegg but no time to pick up. Upgrading from 670, should see a big boost or at least I hope!

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
cross-posting from the I need a New PC thread because time-sensitive:

I fucked up GAF. I ordered a 980 Ti not knowing about reference cards so I got a reference card (MSI version) coming in today. I can send it back and get a refund but the good cards are still 2 weeks or so out here and more expensive. Should I accept the reference card or send it back, wait 2 weeks or so, spend a little bit more and get a proper version? Bear in mind I'm intending for this card to last a while, as you can guess from my dumbness I'm not an enthusiast who upgrades every 6-12 months. Is it a really big deal or will I be good?

paskowitz

I fucked up GAF. I ordered a 980 Ti not knowing about reference cards so I got a reference card (MSI version) coming in today. I can send it back and get a refund but the good cards are still 2 weeks or so out here and more expensive. Should I accept the reference card or send it back, wait 2 weeks or so, spend a little bit more and get a proper version? Bear in mind I'm intending for this card to last a while, as you can guess from my dumbness I'm not an enthusiast who upgrades every 6-12 months. Is it a really big deal or will I be good?

It depends. If you are running a small case, keep the reference card. If not, I guess return it and get the MSI or Gigabyte GAMING models.

Sargon

According to the Newegg page for the MSI GTX 980 6G, the package includes 1 8-Pin power cable, but the card has 2 8-Pin power connectors. What am I missing here? Do I need to buy a 2nd cable?

Edit: Nevermind, I see that my existing power supply cables are 6+2 pin, so I can just connect the additional 2 pins. I still find it strange though that the package would only include 1 of 2 required cables.

I wouldn't get reference. If you plan on using this card for years, you might as well wait the extra 2 weeks, get the proper cooler, and OC it.

Wag

I just ordered a standard EVGA 980Ti ACX 2.0+ (non-SC) for $649 shipped. I'm fine with that. I was going to spend more but after spending $3000 on 3 OG Titans I just couldn't do it. After I sell those I'll buy a second 980Ti. That's fine for 4k.

I can send it back and get a refund but the good cards are still 2 weeks or so out here and more expensive.

The Gigabyte G1 is $689 at Newegg so you're talking a $40 difference; not a huge deal. As people already mentioned: non-reference will be best for OC'ing and such, so I'd send the reference back.

After seeing the Fury X benchmarks and reviews today, looks like I've solidified my pick for the 980 Ti. Now to see how much those Inno 3D cards are going to be...

I just ordered a standard EVGA 980Ti ACX 2.0+ (non-SC) for $649 shipped. I'm fine with that. I was going to spend more but after spending $3000 on 3 OG Titans I just couldn't do it. After I sell those I'll buy a second 980Ti. That's fine for 4k.

Excellent choice! I have that exact same card (non-SC) and I've got my card running at 1500mhz core boost/8000mhz mem 24/7. Hitting max temps of around 68 degrees with the "Aggressive" fan profile. That's ~25% performance boost over stock. Monster of a card.

Anyone know when these are supposed to come back in stock? I've heard everything from a month to two months after launch.

The reference cards are in stock many places. (http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx980ti/)

The only non-reference that I think is in stock is the MSI Gaming (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127889&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=6202798&SID=)

And lol at TigerDirect selling a reference card for 800 fucking dollars.

Uff duh

Banned
So I'm thinking about replacing this 780ti with the 980ti but my mobo is only pci 2.0. Do i need to upgrade my mobo to avoid bottleneck with this card?

Well after the Fury X reviews I've decided to get the 980 Ti Gigabyte G1 since that version seems to be one of the best and it also has 2 DVI ports so no extra cables are needed.

The only problem is it seems to be out of stock and only sold at Newegg.

Does anybody have an idea of when these will be back in stock?

I'd like to build my new pc soon. I have all the parts except for the GPU. :(

Deadstar

The reference cards are in stock many places. (http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx980ti/)

The only non-reference that I think is in stock is the MSI Gaming (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127889&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=6202798&SID=)

And lol at TigerDirect selling a reference card for 800 fucking dollars.

Thanks, I should have mentioned I'm looking for the EVGA gtx 980 ti hybrid card. It seems to be sold out everywhere.

chuseph14

Neo Member
how much do you guys think i can sell the following for:

1 evga 780GTX Ti
1 evga 980GTX SC ACX 2.0

?
Go to eBay and search for those things and check completed listings. I figure $300ish for the 780ti and $400ish for the 980.
So I'm thinking about replacing this 780ti with the 980ti but my mobo is only pci 2.0. Do i need to upgrade my mobo to avoid bottleneck with this card?
GPUs still aren't really pushing the bandwidth of PCIe 2.0, and likely won't be for a long while. You'd be fine getting one.

Wag

I ordered an EVGA ACX+ 2.0 today from BH Photo for $649 shipped. They even shipped it 2 day shipping free.

mdzapeer

This is probably my next purchase. Looking to upgrade from my 670, but man is it confusing. I have no idea which version to get.

I am also using the 670, EVGA ACX 2.0 seems like a good choice if you have good air flow in your case. Otherwise go for the reference cooler. This was my choice.

The Gigabyte G1 has a very good cooling solution but reports indicate its noisy compared to the windforce used on the 670 Gigabyte.

If your planning to pay extra and keep the card longer than a year or 2. the EVGA Hybrid looks to be the best option.

Still waiting for MSI and Asus cooling solutions, but in my opinion the value of this card is more the earlier you buy with pascal coming out. No need to suffer low fps in the newer games with a 670.

cackhyena

I am also using the 670, EVGA ACX 2.0 seems like a good choice if you have good air flow in your case. Otherwise go for the reference cooler. This was my choice.

The Gigabyte G1 has a very good cooling solution but reports indicate its noisy compared to the windforce used on the 670 Gigabyte.

If your planning to pay extra and keep the card longer than a year or 2. the EVGA Hybrid looks to be the best option.

Still waiting for MSI and Asus cooling solutions, but in my opinion the value of this card is more the earlier you buy with pascal coming out. No need to suffer low fps in the newer games with a 670.

Thanks. I don't really feel like upgrading everything for another 2 or 3 years at least. Hybrid is a good suggestion. Damn is it expensive, though....also unavailable atm. Curious when these types of cards will drop in price in the future. I won't have the funds for something like that for a while anyway.

Journey

Banned
The Gigabyte G1 is $689 at Newegg so you're talking a $40 difference; not a huge deal. As people already mentioned: non-reference will be best for OC'ing and such, so I'd send the reference back.

After seeing the Fury X benchmarks and reviews today, looks like I've solidified my pick for the 980 Ti. Now to see how much those Inno 3D cards are going to be...

I know that 980Ti favors well at lower than 4K resolutions and with a lot of todays games, but I'm curious about future engines that are more bandwidth heavy. Has anyone ran any benchmarks with stuff like Unreal Engine 4 Kite Flying Demo and such? and what about VR, isn't that very bandwidth heavy?

This is probably my next purchase. Looking to upgrade from my 670, but man is it confusing. I have no idea which version to get.

I would get either the Gigabyte Gaming, MSI Frozr or EVGA SC+ (EVGA is actually in stock now at newegg and EVGA store).

They're not much more than reference, cost wise, but have custom cooling so better OC potential and will probably last longer.

Or you can wait for like the EVGA Hybrid and Inno3D hybrid (water cooled) which are $750.

cackhyena

I would get either the Gigabyte Gaming, MSI Frozr or EVGA SC+ (EVGA is actually in stock now at newegg and EVGA store).

They're not much more than reference, cost wise, but have custom cooling so better OC potential and will probably last longer.

Or you can wait for like the EVGA Hybrid and Inno3D hybrid (water cooled) which are $750.

Thanks.

Wag

You honestly don't even need the EVGA SC+. The only reason to buy that is if you want the backplate. You can just buy the ACX 2.0+ version and it overclocks just as well as the SC version and save a few bucks.

Finally got my Ti from the step up program.

OC'd +175mhz on core / +200mhz on memory on my first few attempts. Stable and running 70°

I should be able to get the speed on the memory a bit higher (without changing voltages)

This card is a fucking beast. 1080/60 completely maxed in Witcher 3

Oooo lord

dr_rus

I know that 980Ti favors well at lower than 4K resolutions and with a lot of todays games, but I'm curious about future engines that are more bandwidth heavy. Has anyone ran any benchmarks with stuff like Unreal Engine 4 Kite Flying Demo and such? and what about VR, isn't that very bandwidth heavy?

Future engines are likely to be not only bandwidth heavy but using more than 4GB of VRAM as well.

Godan

Finally got my Ti from the step up program.

OC'd +175mhz on core / +200mhz on memory on my first few attempts. Stable and running 70°

I should be able to get the speed on the memory a bit higher (without changing voltages)

This card is a fucking beast. 1080/60 completely maxed in Witcher 3

Oooo lord

Any chance you could pm me what your settings are. ie fan settings ect

I seem to get a temp of about 78 at only +100mhz on core / +40mhz on memory

Is anyone beside evga going to release a AIO/CLC 980ti?

Also, are evga and amazon the only official places to get one? Is ordering from the EVGA website a bad idea?

Took 6 days for EVGA to get it but now the hype intensifies yet again!

HIL5R3G.png

Top Bottom