• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

ZOONAMI

Any chance you could pm me what your settings are. ie fan settings ect

I seem to get a temp of about 78 at only +100mhz on core / +40mhz on memory

+500 on the memory shouldn't really be a problem (8000mhz). Although some folks memory seems to be less willing to budge a whole lot. I get a bigger boost in benchmarks from memory oc than core oc. Scores higher in 3dmark with memory at 8000 and base clock at 1152 than 7500 and 1200 bc for example.

ZOONAMI

Inno3D is coming out with one: http://www.inno3d.com/products_detail.php?refid=203

Don't know about the second question but I don't see why ordering from EVGA would be a bad idea.

Makes no sense that both of those cards don't have 2x 8 pin power connectors. Reviews of the evga pretty much just say you're only gonna get like 50-75 extra mhz on the boost clock. I guess if you are really concerned about temps it is worth it.

Makes no sense that both of those cards don't have 2x 8 pin power connectors. Reviews of the evga pretty much just say you're only gonna get like 50-75 extra mhz on the boost clock. I guess if you are really concerned about temps it is worth it.

So there is no real point for someone like me to seek watercooled 980ti?

I'm not a heavy OC'er, I have strix 970 SLI and they have only have mild OC's

I figure I should invest in watercooled cards, but is 200+ bucks really worth it if I only commit to mild OC's and have a huge case with good airflow (corsair 750D).

If I can source some gigabyte g1's which I hear are the best card right now I will, or wait still asus releases their strix's

I have a rog swift for what its worth and I'm looking to upgrade to a 21:9 gsync later this year, and VR after that

The difference between air cooled and water cooled on 980 Ti is like 60-70C for air cooled vs. 40-50C for water cooled. Unless your goal is to voltmod your 980 Ti and shoot for 1600mhz so you can win on the 3DMark Firestrike rankings, or you are demanding an absolutely silent gaming PC, it's a waste of money and effort. The good non-reference air cooled 980 Ti's already OC to 1400-1500 mhz on stock volts, pushing more volts through the GPU isn't going to give you a ton more headroom.

Maxwell is a pretty amazing OCing beast on stock volts, Nvidia's reference clocks seem set so low mainly because of the rather bad reference cooler which struggles to keep the card below the throttle temperature of 84C. You stick a Gigabyte Windforce, ASUS DirectCU III, or MSI Twin Frozr V on one and the sky's the limit, you don't need water.

ZOONAMI

So there is no real point for someone like me to seek watercooled 980ti?

I'm not a heavy OC'er, I have strix 970 SLI and they have only have mild OC's

I figure I should invest in watercooled cards, but is 200+ bucks really worth it if I only commit to mild OC's and have a huge case with good airflow (corsair 750D).

If I can source some gigabyte g1's which I hear are the best card right now I will, or wait still asus releases their strix's

I have a rog swift for what its worth and I'm looking to upgrade to a 21:9 gsync later this year, and VR after that

Seems like the g1 is the best card out there. People are getting sustained boosts over 1500. It has 2x 8 pin connectors

ZOONAMI

The difference between air cooled and water cooled on 980 Ti is like 60-70C for air cooled vs. 40-50C for water cooled. Unless your goal is to voltmod your 980 Ti and shoot for 1600mhz so you can win on the 3DMark Firestrike rankings, or you are demanding an absolutely silent gaming PC, it's a waste of money and effort. The good non-reference air cooled 980 Ti's already OC to 1400-1500 mhz on stock volts, pushing more volts through the GPU isn't going to give you a ton more headroom.

Maxwell is a pretty amazing OCing beast on stock volts, Nvidia's reference clocks seem set so low mainly because of the rather bad reference cooler which struggles to keep the card below the throttle temperature of 84C. You stick a Gigabyte Windforce, ASUS DirectCU III, or MSI Twin Frozr V on one and the sky's the limit, you don't need water.

If you tweak the fan curve even the ref coolers OC very well. Mid 1300s to low 1400s. A 20% improved base clock of 1200 is no problem. Things start to get unstable when boosting with base clock set to 1250 or higher. My plan is to eventually add an evga acx sc+ with the backplate for the second card. Should be a good combo with the acx one as the top card.

scoobs

Boy does the package feel good to get. 👌

Came with a 50% off any EVGA mouse or PSU coupon that's attached to your account which is sweet.

How long after you shipped your old GPU did it take to get the 980ti? Curious how long I'm going to have to survive on integrated graphics

badb0y

I have the ACX 2.0+ SC+ GTX 980 Ti from EVGA. It gets loud and hot in my case, I am jumping for that hybrid card as soon as it comes up.

Wag

what is this step up program some of you speak of?

http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

Got my 980Ti today. I was just getting by @ 4k on 3 OG 6GB Titans, and 1 980Ti certainly isn't enough- I definitely need another. Time to put my old Titans up on eBay.

So should I auction my 6GB Titans or sell them at a fixed price? They're all EVGA Supercharged. I lost all the accessories at this point, but I don't think that will matter. OG Titans are sort of a strange animal because people use them for stuff other than gaming.

Damn I just bought an evga psu off amazon. Not sure I'm prepared she'll out another $650 for sli right now though.

Yeah, I'm considering the 1000w PSU cuz fuck it yolo

Their mice are entirely too "gamer-y" to me. Looks like a transformer froze during its transformation :/

How long after you shipped your old GPU did it take to get the 980ti? Curious how long I'm going to have to survive on integrated graphics

Well, I'm a dummy and selected ground shipping because I thought I'd be able to survive on intergrated graphics. god, I regret that decision the moment the 980 came from my motherboard.

however, it took 4 business days to get from california to where I am in NJ, so it was pretty fast!

Man the EVGA SC with the ACX 2.0 cooler is a beast. Even for an air cooled GPU on stock volts it Overclocks like a monster. I've got the core perfectly stable at 1400mhz and max temps hit 75

Also was able to hit my first Firestrike for over 15,000. I'm sure child's play to some of you but I'm pretty proud of it.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/7505522

scoobs

Yeah, I'm considering the 1000w PSU cuz fuck it yolo

Their mice are entirely too "gamer-y" to me. Looks like a transformer froze during its transformation :/

Well, I'm a dummy and selected ground shipping because I thought I'd be able to survive on intergrated graphics. god, I regret that decision the moment the 980 came from my motherboard.

however, it took 4 business days to get from california to where I am in NJ, so it was pretty fast!
Well since I finished Witcher 3, and Batman is broken.. all I'm playing is Heroes of the Storm so I think I'll be fine w/ integrated graphics for a week or two.

I have the ACX 2.0+ SC+ GTX 980 Ti from EVGA. It gets loud and hot in my case, I am jumping for that hybrid card as soon as it comes up.

This seems like a case ventilation problem, the ACX 2.0+ is not amazing but it should not be hitting 82C in any adequately ventilated case.

If your case is otherwise adequately ventilated, it's possible your cooler is not seated properly or the fans aren't working properly. Did you verify both fans are spinning? You could pull it apart and try to reseat the cooler, or if you don't want to bother and you're sure it's not your case, you might want to consider an RMA. It shouldn't be getting that hot.

Well since I finished Witcher 3, and Batman is broken.. all I'm playing is Heroes of the Storm so I think I'll be fine w/ integrated graphics for a week or two.

haha, funny story. That's all I was able to play too. enjoy team fights ;_;

I was able to increase my overclocking a bit (I don't want to up the voltage so I'm happy with where I am now)

d34.png

+210 core
+350 memory

scoobs

haha, funny story. That's all I was able to play too. enjoy team fights ;_;

I was able to increase my overclocking a bit (I don't want to up the voltage so I'm happy with where I am now)

d34.png

+210 core
+350 memory

Are you using the stock ACX 2.0+ or water cooling? Wondering how far I should expect to push my 980ti

Are you using the stock ACX 2.0+ or water cooling? Wondering how far I should expect to push my 980ti

ACX 2.0+

I'm impressed how far I can push this without increasing voltages. It seems +250mhz core is my breaking point. safe at 210 atm, tested with furmark and heaven.

Haven't broken through 74 degrees yet either.

ACX 2.0+

I'm impressed how far I can push this without increasing voltages. It seems +250mhz core is my breaking point. safe at 210 atm, tested with furmark and heaven.

Haven't broken through 74 degrees yet either.

I'm surprised you can't go a bit higher. I have the same card and have mine at 1400mhz perfectly stable. Are you crashing when you go higher or are you just playing it safe and haven't tried?

I'm so damn impressed with this card. Witcher 3 runs flawlessly at 1440p, everything Ultra but Hairworks. Coming from a 780ti, the jump when you OC this thing high is insane. I loved that card but man, 980ti really is just fantastic.

Edit: I should add that mine is the SC edition, maybe that makes a difference?

Arex

Can anyone with MSI or Gigabyte 980ti let me know if we can custom set up the fans speed?
I know both of them turn off the fan when idle, but I may want them to run at low speed, just to keep the temp lower.
Anyway, still thinking which one to get :)

riflen

Can anyone with MSI or Gigabyte 980ti let me know if we can custom set up the fans speed?
I know both of them turn off the fan when idle, but I may want them to run at low speed, just to keep the temp lower.
Anyway, still thinking which one to get :)

A custom fan profile has been possible for years and years using something like MSI Afterburner.

I'm surprised you can't go a bit higher. I have the same card and have mine at 1400mhz perfectly stable. Are you crashing when you go higher or are you just playing it safe and haven't tried?

I'm so damn impressed with this card. Witcher 3 runs flawlessly at 1440p, everything Ultra but Hairworks. Coming from a 780ti, the jump when you OC this thing high is insane. I loved that card but man, 980ti really is just fantastic.

Edit: I should add that mine is the SC edition, maybe that makes a difference?

mine is stock ACX 2.0, but aren't the cards the same (minus a factory OC)

at +250 Mhz I crash :'(

Edit: could it be due to a 650w PSU?

awesome! I've been a laptop user only till now so good to know!
now to pick which to get haha

Availability will probably determine this for you, it did for me. I would have rather gone for the G1 gaming, but I went for MSI 6G gaming because I don't want to wait for a couple weeks for it to be available. I needed a computer now.

Wag

Any suggestions as to how I should sell my 3 OG 6GB Titans on eBay? I'd really like to put them up. I'm just clueless. They seem to be priced all over the place. I haven't seen any straight "Supercharged" variants up recently. They're usually "Signature" editions or some such.

mine is stock ACX 2.0, but aren't the cards the same (minus a factory OC)

at +250 Mhz I crash :'(

Edit: could it be due to a 650w PSU?

+250 is also the breaking point for my card. This is not a bad thing. A 20-25% is awesome!

I must have lucked out on my card then lol. Every card is different of course but I was shocked and happy I could hit 1400mhz

Also hell yeah +250 is still a great OC

Finally managed to order a Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 last night.

Decided to check one last time before I went to bed to see if Newegg had put up an ETA for new stock.

Much to my surprise it was in stock.

Ordered as fast as I could which took about 30 seconds.

After I had ordered it was out of stock again. :p

I can't believe how sought after these cards are.

Vertti

Gaf help me!

I live in Finland but got some dollars as graduation gift. I'm going to States in July and want to buy GTX 980 Ti. I think I have 3 options:

1. Exchange my dollars to euros and put them to my bank account. That would cost about $20. Then order from webstore when in States. This could cost about $20 extra because currency rates so it would cost me $649-679 + $20 + $20.

2. Hope that there's shop that sells the card. No extra costs but it's risky and google told me there isn't many pc part stores in Miami.

3. If a gaffer would live near he could order me a card and I could pay him with cash.

I know I shouldn't stress this too much but I still am. I want the card because it costs over $150 more in Europe. But can't decide what's the best move.

Wag

Welp, I put one of my OG 6 GB Titans on ebay for a 3 day auction starting @ $350. Let's see what happens. If I get $400 I'll be happy. I'll end up paying $50 in fees anyways. 😢

I really need that 2nd 980Ti. I have less horsepower @ 4k than I did with 3 Titans. Witcher 3 is almost unplayable.

Top Bottom