• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

NV's roadmap highlight new tech, it doesn't state anything about the end products. 3D memory is a technology that may or may not be used in a product based on Pascal architecture. Pascal generation will have lots of chips in it and I'm pretty sure that most of them will end up with LPDDR3/GDDR5 and not HBM2. There is a reason why Fiji is the only GPU with HBM in AMD's 300 series. Same reason will apply to Pascal and HBM2 as well I think.

Oh no doubt. I'm 90% sure we'll only see it with Big Pascal.

When you're thinking about bandwidth usage per frame you have to remember that for the next 3-5 years we'll be limited by that DDR3 pool of Xbox One here.

We're already well past that. 68.3 GB/sec? GTA V sits on 160GB/sec or so on my 980 Ti at 1440p maxed out.

So my PC died overnight. Receiving 0 power. I'm thinking the PSU (corsair TX 650) went during my sleep. Would 650 watts not been enough for a Ti with a 23% OC and my i5 with a 1ghz OC?

Mad Max

So my PC died overnight. Receiving 0 power. I'm thinking the PSU (corsair TX 650) went during my sleep. Would 650 watts not been enough for a Ti with a 23% OC and my i5 with a 1ghz OC?

650W should be enough, but the TX650 is not a very good PSU. After my second one died 2 years ago I decided to just buy a better PSU instead of going through the RMA process again.

Skyzard

Banned
What overclocks are people getting on the standard reference card and cooling? Only mention things properly tested :p
Don't want to hear +200 core then you try it and it reaches 80degrees instantly and downclocks.

I've been reading about out the other cards as they're taking their time here in UK.

The G1 980ti is said to have coil whine even at lower framerates.
The Zotac has quite loud fans that never turn off.

I'm leaning towards the evga sc/acx.

650W should be enough, but the TX650 is not a very good PSU. After my second one died 2 years ago I decided to just buy a better PSU instead of going through the RMA process again.

Yeah I went for the EVGA GS 850, with my 50% off code. I hope the PSU is the issue though :'(

Wag

Fortunately if you get one with a bad ASIC and also coil whine, you can RMA based on the coil whine instead.

My coil whine is pretty bad but it seems to only happen on benches, but I've only noticed it while running Futuremark (not even Heaven). I didn't even hear it running Witcher 3 (but then I was wearing headphones). I haven't decided whether I was going to keep it yet or not. I probably won't bother returning it being the chance I will get another bad is 50/50.

x3sphere

My coil whine is pretty bad but it seems to only happen on benches, but I've only noticed it while running Futuremark (not even Heaven). I didn't even hear it running Witcher 3 (but then I was wearing headphones). I haven't decided whether I was going to keep it yet or not. I probably won't bother returning it being the chance I will get another bad is 50/50.

Unless I've had really bad luck every single graphics card I've owned had coil whine at very high FPS, 200+ or so. VSynced in games it was never an issue though.

I've never overlocked a GPU before

I've got the ACB SC EVGA version

I'm assuming that the precisionX is the way to go, and I just drag the offset bar

What's a safe limit to start with?

for $699 right? i just ordered one also. Yours show temporarily out of stock also?

Yes, same but I decided to gamble :)

Is it supposed to be more expensive? Cause if amazon screw up and it costs more than $699 I'll order one right now

What better about the classified model? Better cooling and over clocking?

Here guys so you get more details about the Classified vs. the other models ;)
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1866923

eVGA comparison chart at the bottom: https://www.evga.com/articles/00934/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-980-Ti/

You will notice it has double bios, 14+3 power phase (instead of 6+2) and also changes to 2x8 pin power connectors. Usually the components used such as capacitors are of a higher grade with more exotic materials. I do agree the they could have beefed up the cooler to something a little more like the G1. So yeah, put it under water and it should overclock like a dream, or at least power shouldn't be a problem lol.

dr_rus

Oh no doubt. I'm 90% sure we'll only see it with Big Pascal.
That's right, and I'm pretty sure that big Pascal won't be the one which will be the first Geforce Pascal.

We're already well past that. 68.3 GB/sec? GTA V sits on 160GB/sec or so on my 980 Ti at 1440p maxed out.
High resolutions is the only application for higher bandwidth right now. That's part of the reason Fiji is good in 4K only. Not everyone play in 4K though.

ZOONAMI

What overclocks are people getting on the standard reference card and cooling? Only mention things properly tested :p
Don't want to hear +200 core then you try it and it reaches 80degrees instantly and downclocks.

I've been reading about out the other cards as they're taking their time here in UK.

If you adjust the fan curve you can sustain boosts around 1400 with the ref cooler, gonna be somewhat loud though. I would get the msi gaming 6g if it's out.

Kiant

I was lucky to spot the Evga ACX 2.0 with the backplate on Ebuyer, so far it's been very impressive, under full load it's been hovering around the 70 degree mark.

Vash63

I was lucky to spot the Evga ACX 2.0 with the backplate on Ebuyer, so far it's been very impressive, under full load it's been hovering around the 70 degree mark.

Good to hear, that's the card I bought. Got it directly from evga.com, cheaper than Amazon with their 3rd party reseller price gouging. Should be getting it tomorrow.

EVGA won me over for life personally, I've had to call them twice. Once for a broken DLC code which was fixed immediately and once for a broken DVI port after 2+ years of use. The DVI port was on a 580 SC, they replaced it with a 760 which was faster and had more memory. Threw it in my HTPC. Was thinking about buying a 760 anyway for the nice low power usage, getting it free as a replacement for an old card was great.

Good to hear, that's the card I bought. Got it directly from evga.com, cheaper than Amazon with their 3rd party reseller price gouging. Should be getting it tomorrow.

EVGA won me over for life personally, I've had to call them twice. Once for a broken DLC code which was fixed immediately and once for a broken DVI port after 2+ years of use. The DVI port was on a 580 SC, they replaced it with a 760 which was faster and had more memory. Threw it in my HTPC. Was thinking about buying a 760 anyway for the nice low power usage, getting it free as a replacement for an old card was great.

Yeah I'll pretty much always get EVGA. Fantastic customer service and products. Keep in mind depending how far you OC that EVGA SC with the backplate temps will rise above 70. With my core pushing 1400mhz i average 76 - 77

Vash63

Yeah I'll pretty much always get EVGA. Fantastic customer service and products. Keep in mind depending how far you OC that EVGA SC with the backplate temps will rise above 70. With my core pushing 1400mhz i average 76 - 77

Heh, I still remember my GTX 8800 and my 480... pretty sure those hit 95+.

Skyzard

Banned
If you adjust the fan curve you can sustain boosts around 1400 with the ref cooler, gonna be somewhat loud though. I would get the msi gaming 6g if it's out.

Nice, that's better than I thought!
Does it sound like jet though or more reasonable...?

Between the EVGA SC+ACX and the reference is £65 from the cheapest places here in UK (reference at overclockers, SC from ebuyer - thjnk they recently toned down prices a tad), Amazon are too slow, driving me nuts.
I read it drops temps by about 10 degrees compared to reference which is something that seems about worth it for me.

Hybrid sounds nice (50ish degrees wut!) but I'm not risking water cooling again and I'm a bit worried I'll be spending too much, so lose more when I upgrade next year or so. Buzzing would seal it too.

Need to read up more about the classified but that might be the same thing with the cost for me...though kingpin edition looks really good.

Nice! Sounds really good.

Been waiting for it to become available...they're expecting it tuesday (ebuyer). Scan might have them tomorrow.

Heh, I still remember my GTX 8800 and my 480... pretty sure those hit 95+.

Haha Nice! Yeah the 980ti doesn't get too crazy hot or anything and the ACX 2.0 does a nice job keeping things cool. Highest temp I've ever seen on mine was when I stress tested it for an hour straight and it hit 78. Not bad for a card hitting 1400mhz!!!

980ti are just OC beasts

Skyzard

Banned
Haha Nice! Yeah the 980ti doesn't get too crazy hot or anything and the ACX 2.0 does a nice job keeping things cool. Highest temp I've ever seen on mine was when I stress tested it for an hour straight and it hit 78. Not bad for a card hitting 1400mhz!!!

980ti are just OC beasts

Nice! Did you have to change the fan curve too much to keep that?

And was it a stressful game that pushes the load?

1400... plz be mine

If reference can do it, the acx should be able to as well (provided I don't get too unlucky)...trying to see what level of rocket take-off noise I should expect between them to keep 1400 though.

Got a 980 Ti Friday, popped it into my ancient rig (built in '09) to replace my GTX 275. This thing soundly demolishes the old card, and hilariously is almost exactly the same size.\\

Ran 3DMark on it and got decent scores. Paired with a Lynnfield i5 quad core @ 2.67 GHz, 16GB of DDR3 & a micro atx Gigabyte mb (yes, it was dumb but it was cheap, lol).

mboojigga

So guys, I'm contemplating on leaving SLI for good(unless dx12 fixes sli support) and I'm thinking of getting rid of my GTX 970s,however I cant sell them as I'm going to give one to my brother while the other might be used in my backup pc or gathering dust.

I'm thinking of buying the following card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming

6GB is enough right? I probably wont bother going for 4K that often, however this card should be good for Arkham Knight/Witcher 3 for the foreseeable future right?

I'll be properly upgrading my GPU when the new line of cards come as hopefully DX12 will improve SLI support.

Is this wise or am I just wasting money and should stick with my GTX 970s?

Specs:

i7 5820K@ 4.3ghz
16GB DDR4@2100MHZ
GTX 970 SLI
1TB+256GB 840 evo SSD
Windows 8.1

I got my EVGA GTX 980Ti Reference AC 2.0 card on Friday and I am playing Batman AK in 4k. I changed the locked 30fps to 60 in the configuration file and I get 50fps. This includes all settings high with Gameworks affects on. My tv is a Vizio 65in M65-C1 4k.

Current build is:
i7 2600k@ 4.4ghz
8GB DDR3@1600MHZ
Windows 8.1

New Computer build:
i7 5930k(comes in tommorrow) liquid cool Corsair H100i
EVGA X99 FTW motherboard
EVGA GTX 980Ti Reference AC 2.0
Corsair 16GB 2666MHZ
256GB 840 Evo SSD
Windows 8.1 upgrading to 10

Your build is going to have no problem running the game at 4k full settings now and especially after they optimize this game.

Left out the motherboard

I've been struggling with my 970 SLI setup. It gives great avg FPS, but I'll get a lot of pauses and stutters that don't show up in the FPS numbers that really ruin the experience, especially in GTA5 and TW3. I saw that the 980 Ti was very close to the FPS numbers of the 970 SLI setup, but without the problems of the 970's (3.5GB fast RAM, SLI profiles not always been great or even existing, etc) and decided to take the plunge.

As of right now I have an MSI 980 Ti ordered from Amazon, but it's saying it'll be 3-5 weeks. Anywhere have the Gigabyte, MSI, or EVGA models with aftermarket cooling in stock for a decent price?

1400... plz be mine

If reference can do it, the acx should be able to as well (provided I don't get too unlucky)...trying to see what level of rocket take-off noise I should expect between them to keep 1400 though.

I ran it through Firestrike constantly for an hour straight to hit the 78 temp. I did up the fan speeds a bit to keep temps down. Its not crazy high but enough that its for a bit louder. I game with Astro A50s on though so I couldn't care less how loud my rig gets.

And good luck! Hope you can hit 1400 as well! I know some people are having issues getting there but theres lots of us getting it!

Patchy

Banned
So 99% of 980 ti models here in Australia are out of stock.

Something going on? Price drop perhaps? :D

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti G1 you will be mine... eventually.

pressshot.jpg

tuna_love

Banned

pressshot.jpg
There's afew left on shoppingexpress.com.au there's also a sale on tonight at 10pm. $899.

x3sphere

1400... plz be mine

I have an EVGA ACX and hit 1400 with no trouble at all. Left fan speed on auto - highest speed I've seen it hit is only 52%. It's barely audible at that speed IMO. Temps are usually 77-78C. This is all on stock volts. If I cranked up the fan speed I'd say have some headroom for overvolting even but I haven't bothered, the performance at 1400 is good enough for now!

If your case has great airflow, the ACX cooler is much superior to the reference solution in my experience. A Titan X in my build was throttling when overclocked to 1300 MHz and fan speed went up to 72% - MUCH louder than the ACX at 52%.

I tried a max overclock at stock volts and seemed to hit a wall at around 1440-1450. I'm guessing with voltage I could hit 1500, but likely not worth the noise tradeoff.

Grassy

OK after watching this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25515gnTmjM

Don't think I will be getting the hybrid that buzzing noise would drive me crazy, I much prefer listening to fan noise then that buzzing noise.

To be fair, the side of the case is off and they have the camera really close to the internals. I can't see it being that noticeable while gaming or with music on.

I had the TX-750, it died after less than two years. I went Seasonic and haven't had a problem yet.

What sort of PSU would you guys recommend for 2 superclocked 980s in SLI? I somehow don't think my old Corsair HX750 is going to cut it.

I would go with a 1kW personally. Overclocked those 980 Ti draw a lot more, and while 850 might cut it, I don't like to be pushing my PSU to the maximum

I have a two year-old Seasonic M12 850w and it's handling my EVGA SC's and i7 2600K @ 4.5ghz no dramas, but if I was going for a new PSU I would definitely go for a 1000w for an extra ~$30 or so.

pressshot.jpg

Lol, no price drops. They are selling out everywhere because the demand is crazy for these cards.
If you're after the G1, PC case gear will have them in-stock on Wednesday - http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_1766&products_id=32216

Skyzard

Banned
I ran it through Firestrike constantly for an hour straight to hit the 78 temp. I did up the fan speeds a bit to keep temps down. Its not crazy high but enough that its for a bit louder. I game with Astro A50s on though so I couldn't care less how loud my rig gets.

And good luck! Hope you can hit 1400 as well! I know some people are having issues getting there but theres lots of us getting it!

I have an EVGA ACX and hit 1400 with no trouble at all. Left fan speed on auto - highest speed I've seen it hit is only 52%. It's barely audible at that speed IMO. Temps are usually 77-78C. This is all on stock volts. If I cranked up the fan speed I'd say have some headroom for overvolting even but I haven't bothered, the performance at 1400 is good enough for now!

If your case has great airflow, the ACX cooler is much superior to the reference solution in my experience. A Titan X in my build was throttling when overclocked to 1300 MHz and fan speed went up to 72% - MUCH louder than the ACX at 52%.

I tried a max overclock at stock volts and seemed to hit a wall at around 1440-1450. I'm guessing with voltage I could hit 1500, but likely not worth the noise tradeoff.

Thanks guys, that sounds really fair. Got my fingers crossed I get something similar, I have decent air flow...and hopefully stock doesn't get delayed/sold out again.

dis gon be good

Glass

UKGAF - Overclockers have lots of G1's in stock. Typical £30 markup, but handy if you want one now.

Yeah I spotted this. Scan has them due 10th July apparently at £599 which is the best price I've seen so far. Definitely the one I want to go for, the silver accents look almost white, which would great in my 600t case.

Top Bottom