• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

Use MSI Afterburner and just slowly move up your clocks on Core and RAM. Each time you move up a bit run Firestrike a time or 2 to test its stable. If so clock up a bit more. Always keep and eye on your temps. Rinse and repeat

Up the core and memory separately in small increments and run heavy bencmarks in between to try and find your OC ceiling.

As mentioned, use MSI AB to OC and monitor temps. Additionally, i like to work on the core clock first and keep inching until i clearly hit a wal. Then, working on the memory clock and monitor your temps carefully as you do that.

Thank you all!!

I have some amazon credit so I'm probably going to have to wait a month to buy a 980 ti EVGA SC. Right now Amazon vendors are charging $740 and up for a $670 card, I even saw one for $900.

dEvAnGeL

for the EVGA 980ti acx 2.0 owners, whats the max you guys been able to OC the core of the gpu? i can only go up to +135, 110% power without messing with the voltage , ran Heaven for about 1 hour without problems but anything over that and my driver crashes

messiaen

Anyone get a g1 from microcenter yet? Mine hasn't gotten them and it's killing me
All mine has in stock are 970s. Everything else from this gen are gone. Just some AMD 390x. Guess Nvidia's strategy worked, before the fury x release there were quite a few 980ti reference and various 980s in stock. Now, nothing.

Bydobob

Well to be fair there are still games I have trouble getting to 1080p60 fully maxed out, like GTA5. And I'm sure there will be more as time goes on. And I do like to use DSR combined with AA...

Edit: I currently have 2 970's in SLI which are pretty much the exact same speed as 1 980 Ti, so I'm sure I still won't be able to max GTA5.

Most likely CPU limited, usage in GTA V is crazy high in some areas. You'll probably find you can downsample from 1440p with no penalty to minimum framerates.

Most likely CPU limited, usage in GTA V is crazy high in some areas. You'll probably find you can downsample from 1440p with no penalty to minimum framerates.

I'm not CPU limited, I have a 5820k 6-core OC'd to 4.4 GHz. It's mostly the highest grass setting that does it, but that's a very specific case and I'm not sure SLI would fix that.

I found a review that shows that I'd only get about 32% more performance averaged across 8 games at 1080p, and if you take out Tomb Raider's 94% increase it ends up being 22% averaged over 7 games. (This is for minimum frame rates which is what I'm more concerned with.)

Upon further investigation, it would allow me to have everything maxed out in GTA5 and only drop down to 58.8 fps instead of 42.5 fps like it currently does, which would put me so close to that magical locked 60fps...

I'm not CPU limited, I have a 5820k 6-core OC'd to 4.4 GHz. It's mostly the highest grass setting that does it, but that's a very specific case and I'm not sure SLI would fix that.

I found a review that shows that I'd only get about 32% more performance averaged across 8 games at 1080p, and if you take out Tomb Raider's 94% increase it ends up being 22% averaged over 7 games. (This is for minimum frame rates which is what I'm more concerned with.)

Upon further investigation, it would allow me to have everything maxed out in GTA5 and only drop down to 58.8 fps instead of 42.5 fps like it currently does, which would put me so close to that magical locked 60fps...

You could also factor that you can DSR all games, which will lead to further increases with SLI.

You could also factor that you can DSR all games, which will lead to further increases with SLI.

Good point. I'm assuming I would have to buy a better PSU if I wanted to SLI 980 Ti's because I'm only running a 750W one right now (albeit a high quality Gold rated one). Not sure I want to deal with all that cable management again...

I want to pre-order the 980 Ti Classified from Amazon, but it looks like Arkham Knight is not included. It would be nice to play it when it gets patched up.

for the EVGA 980ti acx 2.0 owners, whats the max you guys been able to OC the core of the gpu? i can only go up to +135, 110% power without messing with the voltage , ran Heaven for about 1 hour without problems but anything over that and my driver crashes

+150 on the core, +400 on the memory. Power at 110%.

Increasing the voltage did not help stability at all. Going higher on the core or memory results in driver crashes (grrrrrrrrr).

Firestrike ran fine up to +500 on the memory, but Battlefield 4 locked up twice so I had to turn it down.

Seems game's are a LOT more finicky about overclocks than benchmarks are. But I do tend to play them for longer periods of time compared to how long a benchmark runs.

Here's my highest firestrike result (16267)

To compare, here's my highest Titan-X score (15807)

Bydobob

Have you run your own benchmarks? Don't assume because you have a hex core CPU you're immune to bottlenecks.

Not much difference between the various i5 and i7 Intel chips shown here, clock speed is king:

http://pclab.pl/zdjecia/artykuly/chaostheory/2015/04/gtav/charts/gtav_vhigh_cpu.png

If the game was entirely GPU bound at 1080p you wouldn't be getting an extra 12fps after overclocking your CPU. Card tested here is a 970 at very high settings, but bear in mind a 980ti is around 60% more powerful so max settings shouldn't be limiting it at 60fps either.

So, I plan to upgrade around October and I have my eye on the 980 hybrid. Wonder if I should just bide my time until Pascal at that point. Then again, my 760 is starting to show its age.

Wag

(non-SC ACX version) 220 on the core, 600 on the memory. No voltage boost (on auto on the fan). Seemed stable, although I'll probably have to lower the memory a bit.

(non-SC ACX version) 220 on the core, 600 on the memory. No voltage boost (on auto on the fan). Seemed stable, although I'll probably have to lower the memory a bit.

Try firestrike ultra. I had the normal firestrike run fine with +650 on the memory, but firestrike ultra crashed.

Wag

Try firestrike ultra. I had the normal firestrike run fine with +650 on the memory, but firestrike ultra crashed.

Not going to bother. It seems on Witcher 3 anything much higher than 600 on the memory causes artifacts and lockups. I could try boosting the voltage a bit but that doesn't seem to do much on my card.

Holy shit! My 6GB OG Titan just for $456 on eBay. Wasn't expecting that. Time to sell the next 2.

Have you run your own benchmarks? Don't assume because you have a hex core CPU you're immune to bottlenecks.

Not much difference between the various i5 and i7 Intel chips shown here, clock speed is king:

http://pclab.pl/zdjecia/artykuly/chaostheory/2015/04/gtav/charts/gtav_vhigh_cpu.png

If the game was entirely GPU bound at 1080p you wouldn't be getting an extra 12fps after overclocking your CPU. Card tested here is a 970 at very high settings, but bear in mind a 980ti is around 60% more powerful so max settings shouldn't be limiting it at 60fps either.

Those benchmarks are for GTA5 Very High, I was purely talking about all settings at their highest. No matter what speed my CPU is set to, I hit the same FPS when I go to areas with lots of foliage. Otherwise I hold a steady 60fps. So I know it's ultra grass that's the issue and I know it's because of being GPU limited in this case.

My GPU's both hit high 90's utilization, however my CPU will hover around 60-70% utilization with a spike every now and then to 80%.

I know it's silly to buy a card based around one game and one graphical setting, but I do think being able to enable high levels of DSR down the road would be nice as well. And GTA5 proves that while a 980 Ti may run almost anything at full settings 1080p60 with no issues currently, that can always change.

But I doubt I'll SLI because I don't want to mess with swapping out my PSU anyway, so this is probably all moot. I doubt a 750W PSU would handle two of these, a 5820k OC'd, and the rest of what I have in my system.

Edit: Gigabyte 980 Ti in stock at Newegg, go go go!

I'm gonna trade up from my sli msi 970s to a 980 ti g1. (Won't cost me much) I want that 6gb as the 3.5 is starting the show in certain games. Good idea?

Bydobob

Those benchmarks are for GTA5 Very High, I was purely talking about all settings at their highest. No matter what speed my CPU is set to, I hit the same FPS when I go to areas with lots of foliage. Otherwise I hold a steady 60fps. So I know it's ultra grass that's the issue and I know it's because of being GPU limited in this case.

My GPU's both hit high 90's utilization, however my CPU will hover around 60-70% utilization with a spike every now and then to 80%.

I know it's silly to buy a card based around one game and one graphical setting, but I do think being able to enable high levels of DSR down the road would be nice as well. And GTA5 proves that while a 980 Ti may run almost anything at full settings 1080p60 with no issues currently, that can always change.

But I doubt I'll SLI because I don't want to mess with swapping out my PSU anyway, so this is probably all moot. I doubt a 750W PSU would handle two of these, a 5820k OC'd, and the rest of what I have in my system.

Edit: Gigabyte 980 Ti in stock at Newegg, go go go!

Fair enough, didn't realise GTA V went all the way to 8x MSAA, that would account for a huge chunk of GPU performance.

I guess it's a debate for another thread but I would be focusing your efforts on resolution/downsampling rather than chasing shadows trying to max every last setting in every game for ever diminishing returns. Devs are always one step ahead, including the very highest settings more as placeholder for what will be possible in the future. I'm sure you know this already, but needs reiterating as a feel many people go into buying these new cards expecting to blitz everything at max settings.

My point about the CPU is also not mentioned enough here, 1080/144Hz gamers will be in for a disappointment if they expect to run games like GTA V, Dying Light and Arma 3 at consistent triple figures with this card.

Fair enough, didn't realise GTA V went all the way to 8x MSAA, that would account for a huge chunk of GPU performance.

I guess it's a debate for another thread but I would be focusing your efforts on resolution/downsampling rather than chasing shadows trying to max every last setting in every game for ever diminishing returns. Devs are always one step ahead, including the very highest settings more as placeholder for what will be possible in the future. I'm sure you know this already, but needs reiterating as a feel many people go into buying these new cards expecting to blitz everything at max settings.

My point about the CPU is also not mentioned enough here, 1080/144Hz gamers will be in for a disappointment if they expect to run games like GTA V, Dying Light and Arma 3 at consistent triple figures with this card.

Oh yeah, I agree with you. I've done what I can to minimize CPU bottlenecks, but they'll still pop up. I'm trying to balance out my system as best I can, and I could still use a little more GPU power before I'm consistently being held back by my CPU.

But I'll probably hold off, at least for a while. I was pretty happy with my 970's other than the microstuttering and loading when it hit the last 500MB of RAM.

Notice any difference?

I'll let you know when my card arrives tomorrow. :p

Whats a pretty reasonable overclock I should shoot for with EVGA 980ti SC ACX ?

mine:

Increasing the voltage did not help stability at all. Going higher on the core or memory results in driver crashes (grrrrrrrrr).

Firestrike ran fine up to +500 on the memory, but Battlefield 4 locked up twice so I had to turn it down.

Seems game's are a LOT more finicky about overclocks than benchmarks are. But I do tend to play them for longer periods of time compared to how long a benchmark runs.

dEvAnGeL

ive always trust heaven to load the cards for OC and i do increments in 5s and if i don't see artifacts i keep going but that's the weird thing, when i go over +150 on heaven it runs fine for about 10 minutes and then the driver crashes, so start going back down the same way and so far the only stable OC that ive gotten is +135 on core and +400 on memory, i have run the heaven benchmark for more than an hour without issues and play the witcher 3 with that OC with no problems whatsoever, i still find hard to believe there are some people pushing over +200 core on reference cards, man that's winning the freaking silicon lottery right there

Just got my EVGA SC 980 ti.

Runs very cool at custom fan profile, idling at 30c load at 59c. No OC yet, no coil whine (thankfully).

Solved all my problems with Direct to Rift games.

I can now play Elite dangerous direct to rift, smooth and stable.

Really nice VGA.

So, i just realized my 980ti idles at 60c ..

Is that high?

It does seem a bit high. Mine is idling at 31 degrees right now. Fan speed is 29% and it's extremely quiet.

tY9SYi7.png

Got my gtx 980 ti g1 yesterday along with my acer predator xb270hu. I love this gpu. Can really feel the horsepower from the card (especially in the witcher 3, har har). Only issue i have is that i've detected a dead pixel in the lower right hand corner of the screen along with light bleed in the same corner. Going to phone overclockers uk today and hopefully get a good resolution to the problem.

Got my gtx 980 ti g1 yesterday along with my acer predator xb270hu. I love this gpu. Can really feel the horsepower from the card (especially in the witcher 3, har har). Only issue i have is that i've detected a dead pixel in the lower right hand corner of the screen along with light bleed in the same corner. Going to phone overclockers uk today and hopefully get a good resolution to the problem.
Man im planning to buy those two things two as my last parts for my build but i fear for the monitor with the issues of bleeding and dead pixels especially being delivered to Hawaii ;_; has anyone ordered an acer xb270hu from newegg ?

You are entitled to return it, no questions asked because of Distance Selling Regulations. Don't get fobbed off with any minimum dead pixel policy or anything.

Man im planning to buy those two things two as my last parts for my build but i fear for the monitor with the issues of bleeding and dead pixels especially being delivered to Hawaii ;_; has anyone ordered an acer xb270hu from newegg ?

I'd wait for the Asus ROG Swift PG279Q to come out Q3.

Skyzard

Banned
Anyone know the difference between the

EVGA SC+ ACX+
and
EVGA SC ACX+

It says SC+ but the clocks are all the same.

It's the backplate, ignore pictures.

backplate doesn't matter right? Would it improve cooling for single gpu? Will do won't it... stock is taking forever

The MSI card is a little hotter than the Gigabyte G1 Gaming, yet quieter, lower stock performance.

Overclocked, higher boost clock with lower core clock compared to their Gigabyte G1 Gaming sample but obviously that says more about the samples than the models.

Yeah, it's a factory overclocked card. Whoop-dee-do. I really don't understand all the hysterics.

While it's completely expected results, factory overclocks are very nice because you have a higher base performance that you are guaranteed. If your card is unstable at the factory overclock, you can send it back. If your card isn't factory overclocked, there is a chance you get a terrible overclocker and as long as it's stable at stock, you are stuck with it.

Top Bottom