• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

I'd just do the cpu and motherboard tbh.

The DIMMS in channel 1 are faster, so I figured to replace them all with the fastest DDR3. Is that doing too much?

Decided awhile back on the i5-4690K & the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-B​K. Gonna set me back near $400 if I can scrounge it up anytime soon. :/

DBT85

The DIMMS in channel 1 are faster, so I figured to replace them all with the fastest DDR3. Is that doing too much?

Decided awhile back on the i5-4690K & the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-B​K. Gonna set me back near $400 if I can scrounge it up anytime soon. :/

What are the speeds of them?

When I was buying Sandy Bridge I remember reading detailed articles suggesting that above 1600 there was almost no benefit at all in faster ram, though that might well have been specifically for gaming.

EDIT: here it is

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3/6

What are the speeds of them?

When I was buying Sandy Bridge I remember reading detailed articles suggesting that above 1600 there was almost no benefit at all in faster ram, though that might well have been specifically for gaming.

Faster channel can run @1866MHz, slower @1334MHz.

Is anyone playing Witcher 3 getting crash to desktop ever since getting this card? I played on a 780ti and never crashed once, but crash somewhat often when in Novigrad for some reason. Doesn't makes much sense, game runs smooth as butter but it will just randomly crash to desktop, and almost only when I'm in Novigrad

scitek

Does a 980Ti use a lot more power than a 970? I was running a 670 and a 6950 before that on my current 500W PSU, would it still be sufficient? Also, would a 980Ti let me run most games at 4K/30fps? I'm considering selling my 970 and upgrading, but am afraid my i5 2500k @ 4.5 GHz would hold it back.

Is anyone playing Witcher 3 getting crash to desktop ever since getting this card? I played on a 780ti and never crashed once, but crash somewhat often when in Novigrad for some reason. Doesn't makes much sense, game runs smooth as butter but it will just randomly crash to desktop, and almost only when I'm in Novigrad

I just recently moved up from 780s in SLI to 980s in SLI and I've experienced more crashing as well. It hasn't been restricted to Novigrad, it's just been at random.

well I get desktop crash too, but its the recent DLC bug where you can't leave skillige

DBT85

Does a 980Ti use a lot more power than a 970? I was running a 670 and a 6950 before that on my current 500W PSU, would it still be sufficient? Also, would a 980Ti let me run most games at 4K/30fps? I'm considering selling my 970 and upgrading, but am afraid my i5 2500k @ 4.5 GHz would hold it back.

I'm running a 980ti and a 2500k, stock clocks, on a 9 year old 520w Corsair. Your cpu should be at about 135w at that clock depending how far you pushed the vcore, so 450w combined maybe. How tight do you want it?

As for the 2500k holding it back. I'll let you know when I put mine back to 4.5 in the next few days. My Firestrike Ultra score with my current stock clocks is 3815.

Need to look a bit closer at my setup too as my ram is reporting wrong there!

Is the G1 better in any way than that liquid-cooled EVGA besides price? Seems like the G1 is the one to get but noise is really important to me.

A stock 980 Ti can use up to 100W more, a factory overclocked one can use another 50W or more on top of that. 500W would be cutting it really really close, especially with that CPU overclock.

dmr87

A system with an i7-5930K @ 4,4 GHz and a reference 980 Ti peaks at around 385w. About 425w with the G1 Gigabyte card.

EVGA 980 TI SC+ ACX 2.0+

I currently have it overclocked to a max boost of

Core: 1415 Mhz
Memory: 7520 Mhz
Power limit: 110%

The card came overclocked 100 Mhz or so, and I just added a simple 125 Mhz on top of that. For memory, I just put in +250.

Never gets above 78 C and I have a custom fan curve via MSI Afterburner.

Tested with 3dMark Firestrike (free demo version) and a couple hours of Witcher 3 and Batman Arkham Knight. Not a single crash so far. I'm tempted to push it further but for now I'm pretty happy with this. This is the first card I've ever been able to overclock to any notable degree, having had pretty bad luck at the silicon lottery with my previous cards.

Seanspeed

Banned
A Corsair article advertising the benefits of faster RAM...

I mean, there are only two real world benchmarks there and only one is a game. He then 'concludes' that 1600Mhz isn't enough based on that.

Or, did they just cherry puck the two best case scenarios they could find while ignoring everything else that suggests improvements are minimal at best?

I mean, there are only two real world benchmarks there and only one is a game. He then 'concludes' that 1600Mhz isn't enough based on that.

Or, did they just cherry puck the two best case scenarios they could find while ignoring everything else that suggests improvements are minimal at best?

Well, if you managed to fill up the entire framebuffer with assets and were forced to swap in and out of system RAM, you'll be thrashing the main memory a lot and maybe faster system RAM is useful. But I would think the crippling bottleneck would be the speed of the PCIe bus there, not access to main memory.

They certainly picked benchmarks based on memory bandwidth throughput using almost exclusively video encoding and compression/decompression. Video encoding being one of those activities which can abuse the hell out of SIMD and easily become memory bandwidth limited.

Lexxism

Looks like buying a reference 980 ti will definitely save me around $100 (taxes included) than the non-reference card. This is making me think of buying a reference. What are the cons of reference card?

Crisium

Looks like buying a reference 980 ti will definitely save me around $100 (taxes included) than the non-reference card. This is making me think of buying a reference. What are the cons of reference card?

It's louder and won't reach quite as high clocks at max OC.

Zaph

The fastest clocked 980ti on the OCUK forums at this moment is a reference design.

Got a link to the thread?

Honestly wouldn't put it past OCUK to quickly bin all the cards they got to find that one beast and post the clocks themselves.

DBT85

Got a link to the thread?

Honestly wouldn't put it past OCUK to quickly bin all the cards they got to find that one beast and post the clocks themselves.

the post

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=28231864&postcount=287

He's not an OCUK staff member.

Hit 1595 as his best. I imagine the fan was going like a mental of course.

But it just highlights the fact that its a silicone lottery for the vast majority of the boards.

My Zotac Amp is hitting a maximum of 1239.9 with no tweaking at all, it might go a fair bit higher or it might not.

Gibbo is singing the praises of a G1 but he's not managed to go that high.

TheCrow

Gigabyte OC Guru doesn't give me any control over the LEDs on my second G1 Gaming card.

Bummer, I just gave up on OC Guru and used Afterburner. Able to hit 1530 with no problems after switching. Will miss my red LEDs but I guess the default white matches with my white tower.

I've never OC'd before and I'm getting the step up 980 Ti. Any tips on OCing or should I just try it out stock first?

Any programs I should download for temps and such?

scitek

A stock 980 Ti can use up to 100W more, a factory overclocked one can use another 50W or more on top of that. 500W would be cutting it really really close, especially with that CPU overclock.

A system with an i7-5930K @ 4,4 GHz and a reference 980 Ti peaks at around 385w. About 425w with the G1 Gigabyte card.

So I'd be OK? I don't know if I'd get the G1 or not, is it worth the extra money?

I've never OC'd before and I'm getting the step up 980 Ti. Any tips on OCing or should I just try it out stock first?

Use MSI Afterburner and just slowly move up your clocks on Core and RAM. Each time you move up a bit run Firestrike a time or 2 to test its stable. If so clock up a bit more. Always keep and eye on your temps. Rinse and repeat

dmr87

Up the core and memory separately in small increments and run heavy bencmarks in between to try and find your OC ceiling.

So I'd be OK? I don't know if I'd get the G1 or not, is it worth the extra money?

If it's a high quality PSU then you should be fine, personally I'd like a bit more headroom.

Which one is better MSI GTX 980TI GAMING 6G or G1 Gaming?

Can't go wrong with either, OC potential is luck of the draw and the coolers are pretty similar in performance.

Akronis

Just noticed G1 power requirement = 600W(with two 8-pin external power connectors)
My PSU: Silverstone ST55F-G 550W (600W peak power)

You should be fine. Those power requirements are usually inflated quite a bit. Your overclocking and overvoltaging potential may be limited, but you should be able to drive the card just fine. I believe stock at max usage it hovers around 250W.

As mentioned, use MSI AB to OC and monitor temps. Additionally, i like to work on the core clock first and keep inching until i clearly hit a wal. Then, working on the memory clock and monitor your temps carefully as you do that.

Crisium

Wow that was fast...

So I currently have a 1080p screen that I play games on and I'm considering buying a second 980 Ti. Am I crazy?

If it's 120 or 144 Hz, then no, I guess that's not crazy if you want to get your minimums up to your refresh rate. If you have a 60Hz monitor, it seems like a waste. You could use DSR (super sampling), but it won't look as crisp as having an actual higher res display.

If it's 120 or 144 Hz, then no, I guess that's not crazy if you want to get your minimums up to your refresh rate. If you have a 60Hz monitor, it seems like a waste. You could use DSR (super sampling), but it won't look as crisp as having an actual higher res display.

Well to be fair there are still games I have trouble getting to 1080p60 fully maxed out, like GTA5. And I'm sure there will be more as time goes on. And I do like to use DSR combined with AA...

Edit: I currently have 2 970's in SLI which are pretty much the exact same speed as 1 980 Ti, so I'm sure I still won't be able to max GTA5.

Top Bottom