• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

DBT85

Does a 980Ti use a lot more power than a 970? I was running a 670 and a 6950 before that on my current 500W PSU, would it still be sufficient? Also, would a 980Ti let me run most games at 4K/30fps? I'm considering selling my 970 and upgrading, but am afraid my i5 2500k @ 4.5 GHz would hold it back.

Just to follow up, I've got Heaven and Firestrike Extreme results from my stock 2500k and now at 4.5ghz.

Heaven is only running at 2560x1600, but there was no difference in score.

In Firestrike Ultra which runs at 4k, this is the result.

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/5262440/fs/5231404

6dYZlsF.jpg

Still not touched the 980ti or tried for more than 4.5 on the 2500k. Its at 1.344 vcore under load so there is probably room yet.

Glass

Count me in as another i5 2500k owner, great to hear a 980ti shouldn't be a bottle neck, if I'm reading the benchmarks right?

DBT85

Count me in as another i5 2500k owner, great to hear a 980ti shouldn't be a bottle neck, if I'm reading the benchmarks right?

To me it would appear so, a direct 21.8% overclock but not close to that in terms of fps boosts.

Still fiddling.

Just got my zotac Amp to 1430 and stable but with max volts and everything. 1450 started behaving weird, but it was really hot.

Hoping when it's all watercooling in a month or so it might behave a little more.

I have the EVGA... but I'm starting to wish I bought the Gigabyte. It's just they were sold out at the time and I've used a lot of EVGAs in the past. Oh well. Not like I can really send this back and get a different card so I'll be happy with what I got.

Branson

Ok now I'm confused. I'm looking to the EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti ACX SC+ ACX 2.0+
Model of Ti for my upgrade to my 980(lol). Should I not get that? I usually get EVGA. Whats this I read about the G1 or whatever being way better?

paskowitz

Ok now I'm confused. I'm looking to the EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti ACX SC+ ACX 2.0+
Model of Ti for my upgrade to my 980(lol). Should I not get that? I usually get EVGA. Whats this I read about the G1 or whatever being way better?

If you want to go EVGA, I would go Hybrid or Classified. The Hybrid is probably the best card (but also the hardest to find in stock).

I have that exact card and have 1400mhz on the core and run it now at 66-68. Nothing above that temp with fans at about 70%

The card is fucking amazing. If you want it get it, it doesn't matter if people are trying to persuade you to the Gigabyte. Now if you want the GB yourself do it, but don't do it because the "EVGA isn't good".

Its fantastic.

Summary from that link above:

Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980Ti Windforce

Changes/upgrades/Upsides:
Triple 80mm fan cooling. HUGE heatsink platform actively cools GPU, memory and VRM heatsinks. All metal fan housing. LED color control. 2x 8pin power. Dual DVI

Downsides:
Heavy and long, possibly resulting in more GPU sag. 90mm fans produce more noise.

EVGA GTX 980Ti Superclocked ACX 2.0+

Upgrades/changes/upsides:
Included backplate with this model. Passive cooling on VRM and memory. Ball bearing fans. 100m sized fans

Downsides:
Only 1x 8pin 1x6pin power connections, will limit overclocking. Reference PCB board design. Cooling not the greatest. Plastic fan housing

Throughout our testing the EVGA GTX 980 Ti Superclocked+ didn’t exhibit any worrying thermal spikes on the front side. However, we did see some extremely hot areas between the EVGA letters on the backplate. This points towards the backplate being all show and no go since it doesn’t seem to be dissipating any heat. It sure looks pretty but EVGA hasn’t added any thermal pads to conduct head away from the PCB in at least one key area.

The Gigabyte is also the fastest card out of the box.

That said, I have the EVGA and while I'm not getting amazing overclocks (driver crashes if I push the core beyond +150), it's still pretty damn solid and the temps stay VERY cool.

Branson

If you want to go EVGA, I would go Hybrid or Classified. The Hybrid is probably the best card (but also the hardest to find in stock).

Why is that?

Edit. Oh boy. Ok. Thanks for that. Man. I get nervous buying out of my comfort zone when it comes to Manufactures. Gigabyte is ok right?

Crisium

G1 in stock on Newegg. I almost bought it, and then slapped myself since I can't do a new build for a month. You never know what will happen in 30 days, heck, I can't even test if the card is DOA before then.

Ranked? "Cooling solution not the greatest". Compared to the description of the other coolers, how would you interpret that? Stirx has mention of lack of cooling for ram modules, MSI anf Giga have no cons with regard to cooling.
There are no cons in regards to cooling for the other cards because the EVGA is apparently the only one that received a thermal imaging test. Furthermore, the image even acknowledges that the results are likely due to the backplate not doing it's advertised job. The backplate only comes on that model.

Crisium

Hrrmrmm. I almost placed an order for a G1 but I have no history with Gigabyte and am way more comforatble with EVGA.

Eschew your brand loyalty! The MSI hasn't been around too long yet, but besides that as a wild horse, it's quite clear the G1 is the leader of the pack right now. If you want dem clocks.

So is the Titan X not better than this Ti?

Taking into consideration that both cards would be under water and overclocked, and NOT thinking about price, what's the better performing card for the next two years-ish?

Crisium

Taking into consideration that both cards would be under water and overclocked, and NOT thinking about price, what's the better performing card for the next two years-ish?

Both cards under water should have no problems getting over 1500MHz.

It should only be reference air Titan X that loses to quality aftermarket 980 Ti's when both overclocked, and even then you'd need well over 100 MHz extra on the 980 Ti, which is doubtful and inconsistent. The Titan X is still the winner for those with very deep pockets.

The titan x due to the extra RAM which could come in handy down the road esp at super resolutions.

I checked the Guru3D reviews for the Gigabyte G1 980Ti and the TitanX. Went straight to the overclocking section to see how far they could push each card.

980TI

TitanX

Similar results for the games they tested. That's a pretty damn good result for the 980TI. I can't even push my EVGA card higher than that default G1 gaming score, which is kinda why I'm kicking myself for getting the EVGA. Though they're using a much better CPU than I am.

Now, the TitanX will probably be faster in situations where the game needs more than 6GB of VRAM. I have to run Witcher 3 at 5120x2880 in order to do that. But future games could be a lot more VRAM hungry, in which case you'd want a TitanX.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hrrmrmm. I almost placed an order for a G1 but I have no history with Gigabyte and am way more comforatble with EVGA.
All my nVidia's have been GB because of price to features ratio. Buying eVGA because the cards work and they are known for their warranty doesn't change the fact their coolers and designs aren't as good as the competition which is trying harder than they are.
Whatever is best priced/reviewed is what brand I'll buy from any of the brands who do serial based warranties (eVGA, GB, ASUS, MSI)

Branson

All my nVidia's have been GB because of price to features ratio. Buying eVGA because the cards work and they are known for their warranty doesn't change the fact their coolers and designs aren't as good as the competition which is trying harder than they are.

Good to know. Thanks.

The Titan X can OC every bit as well as the 980 Ti, and it has all it's shader cores enabled (3072 vs. 2816) and 12 GB of VRAM. Whether that's worth an extra $350 is up to you, but it's definitely a better performing card.

People were up in a fuss about companies being economic about their heatsinks (970 ACX), but end of the day the performance is what matters vs price. It it benches well then who cares?

Well the 970 with nerfed ACX recycled from 700 series was widely criticized for being worse than the reference cooler...

I'm agreeing there, but the Strix runs okay right? If not my bad.
I do agree it looks bad, especially on a flagship card.

I don't think there are any reviews of the new DirectCU III yet but hopefully there will be soon. And I do agree with you, ultimately it is about how the cooler performs. If it only needs 3 of 5 heatpipes to keep the 980 Ti beast's heat muzzled then I have no problems with it, even though it looks like such bad design.

Maybe the extra heatpipes really are for the upcoming aircooled Fury and this is how ASUS intends the DirectCU III to be used for both. I don't get why they didn't just throw a heat plate on it like the other coolers.

Seeing the right up and review between the non-reference cards oh boy

MSI OR GIGABYTE ? I have a 780t here waiting to be inserted by my parts and since i'm taking the whole hard drive bays and onlu running all ssd's i think mine is gonna fit really well

Top Bottom