• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

That's impressive. IS that only on air?

What's your ASIC?
What's the max wattage \ voltage on that BIOS?

Also, when peope say 8010mhz on memory, how much of a boost is that? For example. I can get +450 on my memory. What would the total be in mhz?

Yet another person that had to send back an Acer xb270hu. WTF is going on with those things....

thats +505 for memory. minus 7000 from whatevery memory clock you see people state and divide the remainder by 2 to arrive at the afterburner oc amt

Mifec

What's your ASIC?

Also, when peope say 8010mhz on memory, how much of a boost is that? For example. I can get +450 on my memory. What would the total be in mhz?

Yet another person that had to send back an Acer xb270hu. WTF is going on with those things....

bad build quality. Lets hope the upcoming asus one doesn't get rma'd as often since I plan to pick it up.

Skyzard

Banned
I'm using the MaxAir bios from the overclock.net forums. That does increase voltage and power rather aggressively. There are other to use that don't push it so high. I just haven't tried them yet.

No idea....

Nice, thank you, although I think I'll play it safer :p

What's your ASIC?

Heya,

Yeah on air happy using the default cooler. My ASIC is 68.2%, can't remember the voltages/wattage of the top of my head. Suffice to say I've done a fair few stress tests since flashing the BIOS to make sure it was safe enough.

And yeah bit peeved at having to send my monitor away as the picture quality other than the defects I mentioned was perfect. The glossy finish doesn't bother me in the slightest I only care about the screen itself

Bydobob

[

Yeah I game on 1080p monitor. Good to hear my 780 can still last.

I'm in the same boat buddy, but decided to hold off until Pascal when I'll also have a 4K monitor to make the upgrade really worthwhile. I would hope that by then a single card is a genuine option for 60fps at 4K. Right now I'm still getting good performance from my 780 at 1080, I would only be maxing the type of settings that make less difference at high cost and/or downsampling. I'd rather wait and have my mind blown with the jump to native 4k next year.

We just need to sit tight and let the novelty of new tech wear off. And I personally need to stop searching for deals which only tempt the devil...

Lexxism

I finally got my 980 ti. And it says 3GB for its VRAM. Is this normal?
xNFwCms.png

I'm in the same boat buddy, but decided to hold off until Pascal when I'll also have a 4K monitor to make the upgrade really worthwhile. I would hope that by then a single card is a genuine option for 60fps at 4K. Right now I'm still getting good performance from my 780 at 1080, I would only be maxing the type of settings that make less difference at high cost and/or downsampling. I'd rather wait and have my mind blown with the jump to native 4k next year.

We just need to sit tight and let the novelty of new tech wear off. And I personally need to stop searching for deals which only tempt the devil...
the hype and excitement for a new GPU is hard to resist.
I actually have g1 ordered already but BnH called and says my Billing and Shipping doesn't match so I cancel

I guess its a sign

Rolfgang

Can somebody explain what ASIC actually is?

I'm not sure what it is either, but in a nutshell (wrong what I got) is that a high ASIC rating is good for air solutions and a lower ASIC rating is good for water cooling and L2N and that kinda stuff. And it got something to do with the voltage. I think.

Just, don't listen to me.

Can somebody explain what ASIC actually is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3DyiLAQ3Qk

That video should sum it up.

A high quality ASIC is one that achieves the highest clock speed while consuming the least amount of power and producing the least amount of heat.

The ASIC quality is a basic measure of the overall chip quality.

In GPU terms, a higher ASIC means you can achieve the same clock speeds with less power and heat. That CAN result in higher OC potential (but not always).

Higher end products (like the EVGA Classified Edition) are usually made from higher quality ASICs. I'm actually shocked that my EVGA 980TI SC+ is 79.9%. You'd think that would have gone into a Classified. But I'm not complaining.

Rolfgang

I have - finally - decided on the Gigabyte Gaming 1G by the way. Now I am just hoping I'm getting a card without coil whine or else it's going to get swapped until I have a good one.

Wag

I think I got a bad card. When I turned off the factory preset fan and turned on the Fan profile on Afterburner to my own user profile (a pretty steep curve) I was able to play Witcher 3 without my PC shutting down. This is on default clock settings. I am running 2 cards SLI. Now I have to figure out which one is the bad one. Either that or EVGA's Auto-Fan profile is shit for the ACX 2.0+.

Screen still blinked out once when I was playing Witcher 3 tho. Annoying as hell.

paskowitz

EVGA 980 ti Classified hitting 100fps at 4k (Max except for grass at medium and no AA) in pCARS. Not a single dip below 60fps. Good lawd.

Also this card is made for water/LN2. It gets very temperamental above ~75c when overclocked. Unless the fans are at the full 3k RPM keeping the card cool, >1500/8000Mhz is not at option. Right now I am at 1475/7450 with +20 voltage. However, I was nowhere close to reaching the 115% power limit. 108% was my max in Firestrike Ultra. With proper cooling this card could be real beast.

Hybrid testing tomorrow.

MoonGred

Went ahead and ordered a g1 this morning, paid the local premium but should have the card by Friday.
I haven't been following the thread too closely but recall a review from 3dguru that got a high factory overclock when using the gigabyte oc software. From what I read the software is a piece of crap so I'd prefer to stay with afterburner, but should I be guaranteed to achieve the same factory overclock on afterburner as on gigabytes software?

scoobs

Got my evga 980ti acx 2.0 today :)

Dabbled in some overclocking to see how far I could push it on stock voltage and was pleasantly surprised that I could get coreclock to +235 stable. Unfortunately for whatever reason I cannot go above +175 memory clock or I'll get black screens during the Heaven Benchmark.

Oh well, core clock is what matters and this thing is a beast!

Went ahead and ordered a g1 this morning, paid the local premium but should have the card by Friday.
I haven't been following the thread too closely but recall a review from 3dguru that got a high factory overclock when using the gigabyte oc software. From what I read the software is a piece of crap so I'd prefer to stay with afterburner, but should I be guaranteed to achieve the same factory overclock on afterburner as on gigabytes software?

I want to know this also, never had a Gigabyte card in all my life.

cackhyena

So is this always how it is with big cards on Amazon? There's no type of this card that isn't jacked up in the price right now.

So is this always how it is with big cards on Amazon? There's no type of this card that isn't jacked up in the price right now.

This is actually not common, especially going on 6 weeks after release.

This is just a guess, but I feel like this card is probably selling better than anyone was expecting. I think the thought was that the Fury X would slow down GTX 980 Ti sales, but in reality I think it actually further accelerated sales after the disappointing benchmarks came out.

I finally got Witcher 3 to driver crash last night after running the game for a while at 5K (5120x2880). That was the only way I could push the VRAM to the limit. So I just backed off core 10mhz and 20mhz on the memory.

So now I'm at 1520 / 7840. No more crashes at 5K.

Still not sure if this is worth the massive voltage increase. What I'd really like is a custom BIOS that allowed me to push the power as high as MaxAir, but let me stick with default voltage and use the Afterburner voltage slider instead to find my sweet spot. But... I that would require learning the bios editor. And I took one look at that editor and noped the hell out of there. Some day when I have time... I'll try to learn it.

Glass

In the UK and the only place I can find a Gigabyte G1 Gaming in stock is from OC.co.uk for £630....thats $966.

I thought the great thing about the TI was its insane performance whilst costing 100s of dollars less then the Titan X. Does the UK always get this screwed over?

kuYuri

It is normal game games to look kind of blurry/soft while on DSR? I've tried different games like Diablo III, Far Cry 3, etc. on 2K and 4K res and DSR just made things look kind of blurry. I preferred the look of the native res of my monitor (1920x1200).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3DyiLAQ3Qk
The ASIC quality is a basic measure of the overall chip quality.

In GPU terms, a higher ASIC means you can achieve the same clock speeds with less power and heat. That CAN result in higher OC potential (but not always).

Higher end products (like the EVGA Classified Edition) are usually made from higher quality ASICs. I'm actually shocked that my EVGA 980TI SC+ is 79.9%. You'd think that would have gone into a Classified. But I'm not complaining.

That's certainly what its suppose to mean, but at this point I've largely abandoned it as a real measure of anything...

For example, right now I've got two 970's. One with an ASIC in the high 80's, another with an ASIC in the low 60's. The one in the 60's OC's substantially better than the high ASIC gpu. There is more in play with regard to the silicon lottery than just ASIC.

I've seen people RMA gpu's before because they perceived their ASIC score as too low... which is ridiculous IMO.

Yeah, that's why I tried to stress that it CAN result in higher overclocks.... but I guess I should have stated that it doesn't necessarily guarantee it.

I've heard plenty of people with lower ASICs achieving the same overclocks as I do on the stock bios\voltage\power targets, so... yeah. It's not the be-all end-all of quality metrics.

I'd love to get my hands on an EVGA Classified just to take it for a spin since I know those are higher binned chips... but the supply situation with those is kinda terrible.

My Gigabyte G1 just came today from Newegg. Still on 1080p until I see the new gsync monitor releases, so I am looking forward to some maxed out GTAV tonight.

cackhyena

Amazon isn't exactly a big seller of enthusiast PC parts. Newegg is a better bet there.
I know. It's where I got my 670. Probably just need to bite the bullet and spend at Newegg. Now if j could just figure out what the hell I want. I was never this confused with the 670 purchase.

Thorgal

In the UK and the only place I can find a Gigabyte G1 Gaming in stock is from OC.co.uk for £630....thats $966.

I thought the great thing about the TI was its insane performance whilst costing 100s of dollars less then the Titan X. Does the UK always get this screwed over?

Welcome to Europe :p

we get price gouged for everything since apparently everyone seems to believe that 630$ and 630€ is the exact same price .

Yay. :D

Happy to report that my replacement Acer XB270HU monitor is in pristine condition with no defects. Now time for some more Witcher 3.

P.S. I love my GTX 980 Ti

P.P.S You can all shut me up now

What brand did you get and why?

Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1, currently overclocked to 1580Mhz GPU / 8010Mhz Memory (via the OC Guru 2 software + flashed BIOS)

And as to why well um yeah nvm. Just in a really good mood now, was panicking about the replacement monitor being defective most of the day. Was itching for some good gaming action.

But yeah back to the card, def the best I've owned thus far. :)

cackhyena

Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1, currently overclocked to 1580Mhz GPU / 8010Mhz Memory (via the OC Guru 2 software + flashed BIOS)

And as to why well um yeah nvm. Just in a really good mood now, was panicking about the replacement monitor being defective most of the day. Was itching for some good gaming action.

But yeah back to the card, def the best I've owned thus far. :)

Cool, I'm just wondering should I bother going for the best of the best like that, or settle for a regular one and search for which is the best brand. My 670 is Gigabyte and it's served me well, so I'd be leaning towards them.

Lexxism

I've had a few apps detect it as a 3GB or 2GB card for some reason, but it's just an error in detecting the card specs. So yeah, don't worry about.

Lol. Don't worry. Your 980TI has 6GB like all the rest.

Check this out!

I have a 980 TI :p

I'm pretty sure it is.

Speccy tells me that my mine only has 2GB VRAM. :p

Wait, you didn't but the cheapy Korean 3GB VRAM version, did you?

Good to know! I thought I got a defective one!

Cool, I'm just wondering should I bother going for the best of the best like that, or settle for a regular one and search for which is the best brand. My 670 is Gigabyte and it's served me well, so I'd be leaning towards them.

Most custom cards are quite good. Their advantage is a better cooling system compared to the reference cards. But if you want to upgrade to watercooling, reference cards usually make more sense because it's easier to find fitting waterblocks for the reference design.

Regarding overclocking: The 980 Ti can be overclocked quite well. It doesn't really matter much which card you buy, in the end it comes down to luck. But you should be able to reach 1400+ MHz Boost and 7800 MHz memory with most cards. Don't bother with ChemicalWorld's OC settings. I guess 1 out of 1000 GPUs can reach those values, if at all. It's also very likely that these settings aren't stable in any way. That's why it's necessary to run benchmarks and do stress test, for example by running Unigine Heaven in a loop.

Top Bottom