• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

cackhyena

Gemüsepizza;171320621 said:
Most custom cards are quite good. Their advantage is a better cooling system compared to the reference cards. But if you want to upgrade to watercooling, reference cards usually make more sense because it's easier to find fitting waterblocks for the reference design.

Regarding overclocking: The 980 Ti can be overclocked quite well. It doesn't really matter much which card you buy, in the end it comes down to luck. But you should be able to reach 1400+ MHz Boost and 7800 MHz memory with most cards. Don't bother with ChemicalWorld's OC settings. I guess 1 out of 1000 GPUs can reach those values, if at all. It's also very likely that these settings aren't stable in any way. That's why it's necessary to run benchmarks and do stress test, for example by running Unigine Heaven in a loop.
I definitely don't want to go the watercooling route. Also, while I appreciate the effort, I am absolutely clueless as to what those OC numbers mean. Am I missing that much by just keeping it at what it is out of the box?

I think I'll stick with Gigabyte and cross my fingers.

With OC you can get about 20% more performance compared to a reference card, without much effort and without any risk (the only thing that can damage a GPU is extreme voltage and heat, but voltage is limited by the BIOS and the card will downclock when it is too hot). Some custom cards are already overclocked coming from the factory, but it's usually not much. If you don't want to watercool you should try to get a custom card, the Gigabyte G1 is pretty good.

sk3

Banned
I bit the bullet on the G1 from amazon. $730, but with their cash back its close enough. Returns with amazon are so easy its worth it for high value items IMO. It's the same reason I buy monitors from only them as well.

670 direct cu -> 980 ti should be pretty nice for 3440x1440. I'm currently playing arkham city and it hitches every once in a while.

paskowitz

Welp, looks like I got two duds from EVGA. Both my Hybrid and Classified aren't stable past 1440Mhz on the boost clock. Both cards are extremely temperamental overclockers.

The Hybrid is really held back by its power limit. 110% is not enough for a cad that is under water. I feel like it could easily do a lot more.

The Classified is not a fan of heat. That said, it does boost like crazy, close to 100Mhz over the base clock.

Rolfgang

Welcome to Europe :p

we get price gouged for everything since apparently everyone seems to believe that 630$ and 630€ is the exact same price .

Well, to be honest, the difference isn't so big anymore, since a euro is worth 1,1 dollar. The biggest difference in price, is that in Europe we include VAT in the price, whereas that doesn't happen in the States. I live in The Netherlands and that's a 21% difference, which explains the gap in prices.

At the moment I can buy a 980 Ti Gigabyte G1 for 750 euros. If I compare it to the price in the States from Newegg (689 dollar) and calculate in the Dutch VAT and Euro prices, I would end up on 757 euros. So, it's actually cheaper compared to Newegg (I don't know if that price is low or high) if you just put it in perspective.

cackhyena

Gemüsepizza;171326669 said:
I think the Gigabyte G1 is already up to 15% faster than a reference card, so that's pretty good if you don't want to overclock at all.

Yeah, I have my eyes on the G1 exclusively now after looking into it a bit more.

Put in a new CPU cooler so I can handle 4.6Ghz on my 3770k. I could MAYBE go up to 4.7Ghz.... but I'd have to up the voltage considerably.

But still... reached a new high in 3Dmark!

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5343532 (16647)

Still very much CPU bottlenecked. GPU utilization still drops to about 70% during the combined test.

EDIT: Nope. Not even 1.40V can make it stable at 4.7ghz. So I'm sticking with 4.6ghz

Well, just ordered a Gigabyte G1 on Newegg. I'm pretty nervous since I've never ordered a card this expensive before, but also really excited because I've never had a card that can absolutely shred through games like this one.

I finally received my 980 Ti from Step Up... It's alive!!

Don't know if I want to OC it.

ipZFMlC.jpg

vYA2Gdd.jpg
VwwPefC.jpg

longdi

Banned
You mean evga allow stepping up from 580 to 980? That's a major upgrade!

Btw those ordered 980ti class, amazon seem to get stocks from somehow and is shipping!

kinggroin

Banned
I know. It's where I got my 670. Probably just need to bite the bullet and spend at Newegg. Now if j could just figure out what the hell I want. I was never this confused with the 670 purchase.

Because the 670 was unequivocally fucking boss

Still beasting today.

cackhyena

Because the 670 was unequivocally fucking boss

Still beasting today.
Yeah, but I'm wanting a gsync 1440p monitor in the future and the old girl won't be able to handle it. I'm having weird screen tearing in games that aren't anywhere close to demanding. Curious if it's something with my 670 or my current monitor.

Darkone

Hey Gaf,

I need help with this, I want to upgrade my 7 year old 1080p monitor but I don't know to what.
I want to go 4K because I have the money for it now, I am like know like 90% that next year I wont be able to afford it this upgrade.
To go 4K means that I need to replace my GTX970 to a 980Ti (was think on G1 for the extra frames) or go SLI to save some money.
I don't know if to maybe go in the direction of 1440p because to invest in a good screen for a year or so I think its a waste of money, am I wrong?

Thanks

Problem is neweggs replacement only return policy. Amazon will give you your money back.

Newegg's return policy exists because of people who buy the card, decide it doesn't OC enough for them, and try to return it. If people weren't like that, the policy wouldn't exist.

Back in the day, you could return ANYTHING to Costco and get your money back. People abused the shit out of this to buy a TV, keep it for a year, return it, and buy a new one. Costco had to change their policy specifically for large consumer electronics items like TVs because people were douchebags.

So yes, people are why Newegg doesn't let you have nice things.

I want to go 4K because I have the money for it now, I am like know like 90% that next year I wont be able to afford it this upgrade.
To go 4K means that I need to replace my GTX970 to a 980Ti (was think on G1 for the extra frames) or go SLI to save some money.

SLI 970s might be more powerful than a 980TI, but the VRAM isn't going to be enough to play some of the more demanding games in 4K. Especially going forward.

You can make back some of the money buying a 980TI by selling your 970 afterwards. I'm sure you could still get a few hundred for it.

Darkone

SLI 970s might be more powerful than a 980TI, but the VRAM isn't going to be enough to play some of the more demanding games in 4K. Especially going forward.

You can make back some of the money buying a 980TI by selling your 970 afterwards. I'm sure you could still get a few hundred for it.

That's what I plan to do if I decide to go 4K.

scoobs

Doesn't DX12 allow games to use the VRAM from both SLId cards? I still think sli 970s is a viable option moving forward

Valravn

I bought the MSI 980Ti gaming card yesterday. I had SLI before it, but i dont like it. Increased temps and noise, the latter is just damn annoying.

If you're going to sell a 970 you should probably do it really soon now, because regular AMD Radeon Fury is coming in a week and it's probably going to push down the price of 980 which will also push the price of 970 down.

You still get $250+ for a 970, especially if you can prove to the buyer the validity and stability OC you've put on it. Some people are selling the 1500+ mhz OC 970's for $300+ which is almost as much as a brand new one that sort of comes with a game but not really since Batman: Arkham Knight PC version sales are suspended right now and you can't activate the Nvidia codes either.

Doesn't DX12 allow games to use the VRAM from both SLId cards? I still think sli 970s is a viable option moving forward

Um the developer has to implement that, it's a DX12-only feature so existing games won't magically have it when Win10 launches, and any kind of memory-stacking won't double effective VRAM because at any given moment the assets being rendered by each card in SLI don't change much from one frame to the next.

Rolfgang

Was thinking to buy this model: Acer XB280HK, any other models that are recommended or to go with the Acer?

The Acer XB270HU: 27" 1440p 144hz IPS-monitor with G-sync.

It's a bit more expensive, but it's IPS and 144hz and currently the best gaming monitor out there (unless you need a 1 ms panel). ASUS is coming with it's IPS version in august/september tough, so you might want to wait for that one and see if there are any price drops.

Also 28" is kinda small for 4K. Lots of people are saying that 32" is the sweet spot for 4K, whereas 27" is the sweet spot for 1440p.

Qassim

If split-frame rendering is implemented but there's no guarantee that'll see significant adoption, the alternate frame rendering route that we currently use may remain significantly easier to support so it's entirely possible that not much changes.

However, we did see split-frame rendering make a return on Mantle, specifically on Civiliszation: Beyond Earth - but not with anything else. Basically, I wouldn't get your hopes up - it depends on developers spending more development time on multi-gpu support.

knitoe

Was thinking to buy this model: Acer XB280HK, any other models that are recommended or to go with the Acer?
If you want 4K & Gsync, currently, that's the only monitor available. If you want a IPS panel, you have to wait later in the year for new ones from Asus and Acer.

The Acer XB270HU: 27" 1440p 144hz IPS-monitor with G-sync.

It's a bit more expensive, but it's IPS and 144hz and currently the best gaming monitor out there (unless you need a 1 ms panel). ASUS is coming with it's IPS version in august/september tough, so you might want to wait for that one and see if there are any price drops.

Also 28" is kinda small for 4K. Lots of people are saying that 32" is the sweet spot for 4K, whereas 27" is the sweet spot for 1440p.
Most people have issue with 28" 4K and Windows UI scaling which should be fix in Windows 10. Personally, I love the pixel density for gaming.

Zaph

Yeah, activated a AK code that came with my G1 a couple days ago. Suspended sales has no affect on pre-generated codes.

Seems i spoke to soon after my initial testing on my monitor. Back light bleed on both bottom corners. Spoke to oc uk and they have passed my details onto acer for an exchange upfront so i can test the replacement. *sigh*

I just want a good screen considering i'm paying a fricking premium...

pj

Banned
I finally received my 980 Ti from Step Up... It's alive!!

Don't know if I want to OC it.

ipZFMlC.jpg

Ha yours has the same bubble in the left sticker that mine had. I was able to get most of it out with my fingernail but it was still an annoying first impression for a $680 card.

Seems i spoke to soon after my initial testing on my monitor. Back light bleed on both bottom corners. Spoke to oc uk and they have passed my details onto acer for an exchange upfront so i can test the replacement. *sigh*

I just want a good screen considering i'm paying a fricking premium...

A certain degree of backlight bleeding is not always preventable. As long as it is symmetrical and not visible in most scenes I wouldn't care that much.

Ha yours has the same bubble in the left sticker that mine had. I was able to get most of it out with my fingernail but it was still an annoying first impression for a $680 card.

Are you sure it's the sticker? Because I somehow had two layers of protective film on my stickers, a big one and several smaller ones. But then again my GPU is from a different company.

damn, i only got mine to +150 and +200
edit: whats your secret?

OC increases aren't easily comparable because some custom GPUs have their OCs hardcoded in the BIOS. The Gigabyte G1 for example has 1152 MHz Core Clock compared to reference cards with 1000 MHz. So +50 MHz in a tool like MSI Afterburner will result in 1202 MHz for the G1 and 1050 MHz for a reference card. There are also differences regarding the boost, the most important thing in the end is the boost you can actually achieve in games.

In general it comes down to luck. But I also suspect quite a few people who claim such high OC results haven't tested their OC settings properly.

Turns out I don't really need the MaxAir bios. That sets the voltage much higher than I needed. All I really needed was to raise the power limit so it wouldn't throttle anymore. I can now maintain 1520mhz on 1.22V (+33mV in afterburner). So that high ASIC quality comes through on the thermal performance, just not so much on the overclock ceiling. A lot of Gigabyte G1s are hitting 1550+ on the stock bios. But.... there's really no difference in performance there.

Now 1400-1500 does make a difference in performance. Let's hope my next 980TI can hit the same clock speed so I don't really run into any trouble matching them up when I go SLI =)

Gemüsepizza;171391499 said:
In general it comes down to luck. But I also suspect quite a few people who claim such high OC results haven't tested their OC settings properly.

Rest assured, anything I report here has been tested in some pretty brutal scenarios. I put all my overclocks to the 5120x2880 Witcher 3 test. If they can stay stable in that game at that resolution, then I'm pretty confident in them.

pj

Banned
Gemüsepizza;171391499 said:
Are you sure it's the sticker? Because I somehow had two layers of protective film on my stickers, a big one and several smaller ones. But then again my GPU is from a different company.

Yeah it's just a mis-applied sticker. I could see the top of the card under the bubble.

pj

Banned
No secret. Luck? I boost to about 1427mhz which is awesome.

Maybe it helps that I have an insane amount of custom air cooling in my case

I have an EVGA SC+ ACX2+ that boosts to 1520mhz but my OC is only +158. People shouldn't focus too much on the + numbers

mario_O

I've been trying to buy a 980 Ti MSI Gaming for two weeks and it's impossible. Not a single shop in Europe has this card. You can find it on Amazon for 1.000 euros. Apparently MSI fucked up the release pretty bad and there are shortages everywhere. *sigh*

Rolfgang

I've been trying to buy a 980 Ti MSI Gaming for two weeks and it's impossible. Not a single shop in Europe has this card. You can find it on Amazon for 1.000 euros. Apparently MSI fucked up the release pretty bad and there are shortages everywhere. *sigh*

In the Netherlands the shops are filled with it... But that might have to do with the fact that MSI has an office here.

Wag

Eh. Since I added my 2nd 980Ti I am having lots of shutdowns. When I run either card by itself I seem to be fine. Ironically when I ran 3 Titans I seemed to be OK. Not sure what's going on but I contacted Antec and they said they were upgrading everyone with my model of PSU (HCP-1200) to the newer model (HCP-1300) which is actually a shittier model. On top of that the exhaust fan points up and not back, so I'm going to have to rearrange my whole case now. I don't want to do that damnit. Shipping will cost a mint too- those PSUs weigh a ton. 😭

Well, hopefully it will solve my problem. I really hope it is not my motherboard.

Got my G1 installed last night. Really shitty ASIC score of 68%, but I haven't tried OCing it yet to see if that makes any difference. I also forgot my 7970 used DP->Mini DP cables, so I get the thing hooked up and have to use old DVI cables until my new DP ones arrive.

Makes GTAV look so good that I got motion sickness while driving. First time that has ever happened to me in a game.

So would doing games at 1440p at 144hz be a reasonable expectation of this card?

Amazon UK has it for a good price, only 10 more though.

Still waiting for them to get the G1 gigabyte version though, the MSI one doesn't fit in a air 240 :(.

Top Bottom