• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

I did it and sold my 970.

I'm getting double the frame rate in 4K, or was completely worth it to me.

I feel like it would be worth it for GTAV \ Witcher 3. I was unsatisfied with my performance in those games with a 980. The 980TI is a beast though. Especially one that overclocks well (mine's running at 1538mhz).

Thanks folks, probably will jump on it then.

And that is a fucking monstrous OC jim.

I need help GAF...

I just bought the MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6G, but I'm not sure I want to keep it. I game at 1080p, and at that resolution my SLI 970's are faster in every game I tested except Watch Dogs (which I have no desire to play anyway). In some cases it's quite a bit faster (54fps vs 72fps in GTA5).

So I need advice, should I go back to my 970's, or stick with the 980 Ti? No matter which one I choose now I'm going to upgrade as soon as Pascal comes out anyway.

DSR, don't have to worry about whether SLI works for a game, less power consumption.

DSR, don't have to worry about whether SLI works for a game, less power consumption.

Yeah, those are the reasons I bought one in the first place, the benchmarks just weren't matching up with what I was expecting. Luckily that was due to settings changes when swapping the cards, and when I benchmarked a second time with all settings equal, performance settled in where I was expecting. The 980 Ti basically matches the SLI 970's, which is what I was hoping for.

Ran Echelon

Neo Member
I haven't seen the Palit Super Jetstream mentioned yet. Might not be as well known as the usual brands but read good things about this cooler in the 980. It's a meaty 2-slot card with custom PCB, overclocked to 1152/1241, all for less than the price of reference at £532.78:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/6gb-palit-gtx-980-ti-super-jetstream

I've never seriously considered Palit cards when buying before, they always seemed like the 'cheapo' option.
This card looks pretty good though, hopefully some reviews soon.

DBT85

I've never seriously considered Palit cards when buying before, they always seemed like the 'cheapo' option.
This card looks pretty good though, hopefully some reviews soon.

Weird isn't it. The cheapo option is the reference, and those are great.

Oddly i was discussing this just yesterday on another forum.

longdi

Banned
Anyone get their EVGA classy shipped yet?

I ordered 1 on 26 June and in "my amazon" it shows
Not sure how accurate that is since in my orders details, it reads as needing 'a little' more time :/

Code:
Not yet shipped  

Expected delivery: August 6, 2015 - August 8, 2015  

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Classified ACX 2.0+ 6GB GDDR5 G-SYNC Ready Graphics Cards 06G-P4-4998-KR

I ordered 1 on 26 June and in "my amazon" it shows
Not sure how accurate that is since in my orders details, it reads as needing 'a little' more time :/

Code:
Not yet shipped  

Expected delivery: August 6, 2015 - August 8, 2015  

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Classified ACX 2.0+ 6GB GDDR5 G-SYNC Ready Graphics Cards 06G-P4-4998-KR

I spoke with support. He said he'd follow up internally but had no eta to speak of. Bumped my shipping from 2day to 1day. Ok I guess.

paskowitz

I spoke with support. He said he'd follow up internally but had no eta to speak of. Bumped my shipping from 2day to 1day. Ok I guess.

Mine has shipped. They ship these in big batches. I don't think the wait will be as bad as the Hybrid model. I would guess 2-4 weeks at the most for the next batch.

Mine has shipped. They ship these in big batches. I don't think the wait will be as bad as the Hybrid model. I would guess 2-4 weeks at the most for the next batch.

I'll probably come to your house and take yours. Let me know when it arrives. Oh and have your lunch money ready also.

Can anyone look at these and tell me if they're too low? It seems other sites that have tested this card have gotten better scores. Maybe it's just my CPU holding me back?

3dmark Firestrike (free version from Steam, so I don't have access to the extreme or ultra tests)

3DMark Score
Graphics Score
Physics Score
Combined Score
Graphics Test 1
86.72 fps
Graphics Test 2
71.32 fps
Physics Test
25.75 fps
Combined Test
33.76 fps

My system:

i5 2500k @ 4.5
Evga 980 TI SC+
16 gb ram
Windows 7
Nvdia drivers: 353.30
Monitor res: 2560x1440

Skyzard

Banned
Can anyone look at these and tell me if they're too low? It seems other sites that have tested this card have gotten better scores. Maybe it's just my CPU holding me back?

3dmark Firestrike (free version from Steam, so I don't have access to the extreme or ultra tests)

3DMark Score
Graphics Score
Physics Score
Combined Score
Graphics Test 1
86.72 fps
Graphics Test 2
71.32 fps
Physics Test
25.75 fps
Combined Test
33.76 fps

My system:

i5 2500k @ 4.5
Evga 980 TI SC+
16 gb ram
Windows 7

[I would say yes, cpu mostly for those scores]

Firestrike 3dmark free demo

3DMark Score
Graphics Score
Physics Score
Combined Score
Graphics Test 1
92.56 fps
Graphics Test 2
75.95 fps
Physics Test
39.61 fps
Combined Test
36.81 fps

My system:

i7 4770k @ 4.4
Evga 980 TI SC+ ACX+ @ 1404
16 gb ram
Windows 7

baphomet

Yea, I need to verify that my test is anywhere near correct. I believe something is wrong with my card.

I've got an Msi GTX 980 TI and a i5 4790k.

Running Firestrike Extreme (Purchased from Steam today) these are my results.

Score - 7741
Graphics Score - 8701
Graphics Test 1 - 47.04fps
Graphics Test 2 - 31.64

Physics Score - 8310
Physics Test - 23.38fps

Combined Score - 4011
Combined Test - 18.66fps

Do these look correct?

TheCrow

Depends on the boost clocks you are getting. IIRC my Graphics Score broke 2100 but mine boosts to 1530. I also have a 2500k overclocked to 4.6.

Yea, I need to verify that my test is anywhere near correct. I believe something is wrong with my card.

I've got an Msi GTX 980 TI and a i5 4790k.

Running Firestrike Extreme (Purchased from Steam today) these are my results.

Score - 7741
Graphics Score - 8701
Graphics Test 1 - 47.04fps
Graphics Test 2 - 31.64

Physics Score - 8310
Physics Test - 23.38fps

Combined Score - 4011
Combined Test - 18.66fps

Do these look correct?

Yes that's what it should be at.

baphomet

Cool, thanks. I was having performance issues moving from my sli 970s to this. Must just be a setting somewhere then.

Second ti can't come soon enough.

Also, I'll pm you here shortly mordecaii.

Cool, thanks. I was having performance issues moving from my sli 970s to this. Must just be a setting somewhere then.

Second ti can't come soon enough.

Also, I'll pm you here shortly mordecaii.

The SLI 970's are a bit quicker in some games (and noticeably quicker in a select couple), I just made the exact same upgrade myself (although I'm keeping just one 980 Ti). But overall performance should be equal across a wide spread of games.

Edit: Also, no problem. Just whenever you're able. :)

Wag

Uh oh. I was playing Witcher 3 for about 3hrs today at stock speeds (SLI) and not only did I get one screen blink (albeit after playing for well over 2hrs) my PC even powered down. 😱

Now I have to try and figure out what's going on. The log doesn't show anything wrong and the GPU power seemed not to be over 65C from what I could tell (I'll have to keep a log next time I play).

Last time I had a shut down like this was during the Winter and I was running a space heater on the same circuit as my 3-way SLI OG Titan setup, and I assigned it to that. That might not be the case now. It could be my OC i7-3770k is getting too hot @ 4.4GHz. Either that or the new 980Ti's are getting too hot. Maybe a bad PSU? I have the top of the line 1200w HCP-1200 Antec Gold, can't beat that. I don't really know at this point.

It still could be I'm drawing too much power off the same circuit. I'm using an overclocked PC with 2 980Ti's, a 47" TV and multiple devices, another HDTV, home theater, etc, etc. But that still wouldn't account for just the PC shutting down? Would it?

Qassim

This is what I get on 3DMark:
HM6UDX5.png

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5315413

I can probably get more out of the memory too, but I've hit what I wanted.

Exentryk

Not really relevant for a 980 TI thread, but if anyone wants a comparison for with the normal GTX 980, here is one result:

uif3QZu.png

Skyzard

Banned
How are you getting 3600 more graphics score than me, and mine is factory oc'd.

Your cpu + his clock I think.

You guys are making me push for a higher oc, let's try. Got it up to 1429clock and firestrike was ok - 15914, going to try higher but I don't think it can go much more. Definitely not 1500.

Skyzard

Banned
Mine's running at 1533mhz + 450 on the memory.

Did you need to increase voltage at all?
Does that automatically invalidate the warranty btw?

Also you know the +13 increments for overclocking, is that from what you have already, as in, what EVGA set the SC+ to? Or should the core clock total be divisible by 13? The first one right? Nothing critical by not /13=whole number right..

Did you need to increase voltage at all?
Does that automatically invalidate the warranty btw?
I'm using the MaxAir bios from the overclock.net forums. That does increase voltage and power rather aggressively. There are other to use that don't push it so high. I just haven't tried them yet.

Also you know the +13 increments for overclocking, is that from what you have already, as in, what EVGA set the SC+ to? Or should the core clock total be divisible by 13? The first one right? Nothing critical by not /13=whole number right..

No idea....

Wag

I just increased the voltage on my CPU to 1.25v. It was set to "auto". Let's see if that helps. I still don't know why my PC shut down like that.

Rolfgang

Man, I just can't decide between MSI, Gigabyte and the Zotac Amp Extreme...

Anyone experience with two of those and his or her preference?

Man, I just can't decide between MSI, Gigabyte and the Zotac Amp Extreme...

Anyone experience with two of those and his or her preference?

I have been deciding among those as well the past few days. I think the only think you should consider is that the G1 is much longer than the MSI Gaming, so better to fit in your case and such. Not very sure about the Zotac but it seems to be very nice as well.

I guess just pick the one that you can find for the cheapest as they seem to have quite comparable performance.

I ended up picking the G1.

Sevenfold

8 EVGA hybrids in at Scan this morning but 45 on preorder. No Classy yet.

Late edit:
Just to add, I implore anyone about to RMA their new 980ti because of driver crashing, to roll back to the GTA game ready drivers before you do. Lots of people are still getting issues with anything after including the hotfix drivers. Also when you get crashes and recover check your EVGA Precision if you're using it for your fan profile reading N/A. In my case and a few others this breaks the fan profile and can cause overheating, especially if you game with headphones and don't notice the fan speed.

Rolfgang

Oh crap, there is also the Inno3D X4 to consider. And what are the opinions here about the ASUS Strix? I read that the cooling of the VRM might be bad.

http://semiaccurate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8749

Has anyone see this? Should I be worried that my games on my Titans X will look worse as time goes by?

To me this looks like FUD from some delusional fanboys. Some quick observations:

1. They are trying to compare image quality by using youtube videos. Really? The guy who made the video even messed up the bitrate for his first video (12 MB/s for nvidia / 30 MB/s for AMD...)

2. Some people post screenshots with no/low compression where the image quality difference is not visible. Curiously the people who claim that there is a image quality difference do not post screenshots with no/low compression.

3. One guy claims that forcing AF in the nvidia panel results in a 10 fps drop. Yeah sure.

dmr87

Great, the shop I am buying from just updated their listing from 3-10 days to not confirmed, the rep said in a few weeks maybe.

Checked the more expensive local store and the last one sold out few minutes ago.

Fuck.

Vertti

I really hope that at least some stores would have EVGA GTX 980 Ti in stock when I go to States in two weeks. I really want this card but looks bad when it's out of stock everywhere.

Linkup

Got a Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti reference card today. I found out I don't have the 6-pin vga cable, only an 8-pin connected to the GTX 760. =/

If I use a 2x Molex IDE to 6-pin for the 6-pin spot will I be good to go?

Qassim

So I have a 780 is it worth it to get 980ti or just wait for Pascal. I'm mainly getting GPU when VR hits

Whilst a 780 -> 980Ti is a significant upgrade (It has been a good upgrade for me from two 780s to an overlcocked 980Ti), if your main motivation for upgrading is for VR - then I'd wait until a VR headset you want launches.

It's possible we won't see any new headset this year (even with Vive targeting the end of this year), so you may end up getting closer and closer to a Pascal release, and if not - then a 980Ti at that time will likely be less expensive than it is now.

paskowitz

Alright I shall wait.
Thanks

That is a good idea. While I just purchased a 980 ti it is only because I can get a good price for my 980 and I had a large credit at Amazon. If you play at 1080p, a 780 should last you another year or so.

The 980 ti will be enough for the majority of VR games, but for something like pCARS or "Crysis for VR" I do not think it will be enough (max settings), at least not until game optimization for VR reaches a better point.

Pascal should be a pretty significant bump. Not to mention lower power consumption and a smaller form factor.

[

That is a good idea. While I just purchased a 980 ti it is only because I can get a good price for my 980 and I had a large credit at Amazon. If you play at 1080p, a 780 should last you another year or so.

The 980 ti will be enough for the majority of VR games, but for something like pCARS or "Crysis for VR" I do not think it will be enough (max settings), at least not until game optimization for VR reaches a better point.

Pascal should be a pretty significant bump. Not to mention lower power consumption and a smaller form factor.
Yeah I game on 1080p monitor. Good to hear my 780 can still last.

With a custom bios managed to get my gigabyte gtx 980 ti g1 to 1580mhz gpu and 8010mhz memory running stable (roach!) in the witcher 3. Yesterday my acer xb270hu monitor was picked up for rma with overclockers and my new one arrives in 2 days. Fingers crossed for no backlight bleed/dead pixels.

With a custom bios managed to get my gigabyte gtx 980 ti g1 to 1580mhz gpu and 8010mhz memory running stable (roach!) in the witcher 3.

That's impressive. IS that only on air?

What's your ASIC?
What's the max wattage \ voltage on that BIOS?

Also, when peope say 8010mhz on memory, how much of a boost is that? For example. I can get +450 on my memory. What would the total be in mhz?

Yesterday my acer xb270hu monitor was picked up for rma with overclockers and my new one arrives in 2 days. Fingers crossed for no backlight bleed/dead pixels.

Yet another person that had to send back an Acer xb270hu. WTF is going on with those things....

Top Bottom