• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

Skyzard

Banned
Wait I think I may be wrong actually.

http://www.evga.com/Products/Produc...=GeForce+900+Series+Family&chipset=GTX+980+Ti

I think the SC has a reference cooler, and there is also an SC with ACX+ cooler and an SC+ with an ACX+ cooler. So I think the SC+ probably refers to the latter one, since there is no SC+ with a reference cooler.

I think you're right.

But £40 more for SC+ACX+ over the reference one? It's more like £90.
Actually he could be checking a more pricey website (overclockers have reference for £530 but it was £510 just a little while ago, probably a sale). There's a £510 980ti there though.

-damnit, dp.

Single slot cards are limited to the lower end models or water blocks but I'm interested to see if someone comes up with a R9 Nano single slot design.

longdi

Banned
AFAIK SC+ are those with out of box overclock and includes a back-plate

All EVGA 980Ti besides Classified and Kingpin, are stock Nvidia pcb design and are not binned. It is down to your luck to get one with high AISC and make the best of Maxwell voltage limited overclocking.

As for ACX2.0, it will work better for some, and may not be better for those going to do SLI or in a small casing needing exhausting heat.

Over a completely reference design? It'll run cooler and quieter, which could help it run a little faster, maybe 1450, maybe even 1500 if you got exceedingly lucky.

It's a reference PCB with a custom cooler on it, nothing too exotic.

I don't think that one has a different cooler, that'd be the ACX version. The SC+ is just an overclocked reference card.

I think you're right.

But £40 more for SC+ACX+ over the reference one? It's more like £90.

-damnit.

Sorry for the confusion.

Here is my conundrum, with prices:

EVGA 980 Ti - £550

EVGA 980 Ti SC - £570

EVGA 980 Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ £600

My main questions:

1) The difference between the two superclocked versions, and is the ACX 2.0 cooler better than stock

2) Are either of the superclocked versions worth it over the reference design

Wag

Sounds like a soft driver crash. If you enable some monitoring software while you play to see clock speeds and gpu power usage it could confirm this. Observe your clocks during gameplay until the black out happens. When it comes back your clocks will be running at a lower more stable speed, and your gpu power will no longer sniff the 100+ territory.

If this is what you observe, then you have some instability and need to find a more solid overclock to avoid problems. I don't know your level of knowledge so I'll tell you something you may already know. Cards usually have trouble maintaining their individual max overclocks when put in sli. You usually have to go lower than the weaker of the two cards to have stability in sli.

Of course it's also possible that your overclocks weren't as stable as you thought. It's quite normal to pass a gauntlet of benchmarking, and even extensive game playing where you seem stable. Then you find the magic game that messes up your dream and suddenly you know you're not stable anymore. And they're not predictable either. You could play that problem game for 15 hours with no trouble and then boom. And with the same settings you might have trouble after 15 minutes. It doesn't really matter though because instability is instability. :/

I figured that might be the problem. I could try boosting my voltage a bit more. I tried going up to 30% and that didn't seem to make a difference. I'll see if going up to 40% helps. It's probably just that in SLI it's not as stable as a single card is.

It looks like I'm not going to be able to get much of an overclock out of my cards in SLI. Oh well.

Skyzard

Banned
Sorry for the confusion.

EVGA 980 Ti - £550

EVGA 980 Ti SC - £570

My main questions:

1) The difference between the two superclocked versions, and is the ACX 2.0 cooler better than stock

Overclockers have a few reference ones at £510 btw.

Difference between those two is the acx cooler, which I think is cooler, someone mentions it's not that good or even beneficial when in sli or with poor air flow.

I don't think the plain SC is worth it over the stock one (especially at £510) when they aren't pre-selected and the cards overclock higher anyway. But when you do that, the fan comes in handy.
I went for SC+ACX .
Difference between SC ASX and SC+ ASC is a backplate.

Overclockers have a few reference ones at £510 btw.

Difference between those two is the acx cooler, which I think is cooler, someone mentions it's not when in sli or with poor air flow.

I don't think the plain SC is worth it over the stock one (especially at £510) when they aren't pre-selected and the cards overclock higher anyway. But when you do that, the fan comes in handy.
I went for SC+ACX .
Difference between SC ASX and SC+ ASC is a backplate.

Cheers bud. Don't know why I didn't think of comparing non-EVGA reference cards, seeing as they're all the same pretty much.

Edit: This is getting even more confusing. Does anyone know the difference between the SC+ ACX 2.0 and the SC ACX 2.0?

OnfKvMx.png

Sorry for the confusion.

EVGA 980 Ti - £550

EVGA 980 Ti SC - £570

My main questions:

If you're going to pay extra over reference, might as well get the MSI Gaming 6G. since it costs exactly the same as the SC+. As I stated in a previous post, it uses higher quality components and a custom board design.

badb0y

Cheers bud. Don't know why I didn't think of comparing non-EVGA reference cards, seeing as they're all the same pretty much.

Edit: This is getting even more confusing. Does anyone know the difference between the SC+ ACX 2.0 and the SC ACX 2.0?

OnfKvMx.png
Clockspeed

Skyzard

Banned

It's the backplate. That's what scan told me when I called up.

Skyzard

Banned
Btw my ASIC value is 69.9% and I have it overclocked to 1404 (not sure but I figured /13 since that's the increment you're supposed to do, right?). Very slight fan adjustment to catch the heat up in the low 70s early and then just a bit linear up to keep it below 80 even at max load. Haven't tested for more than an hour at full load with furmark yet though.

110%
+250 on the memory

The SC+ ACX and the SC ACX have the same clockspeeds though?

TBH they're not accurate anyway, mine came by default up to 1304 when it's supposed to be like 1190. So MAYBE that's another feature of SC+ but why's it unadvertised... can't confirm.

So, if I'm not mistaken:

980 Ti: reference cooler, reference clock

980 Ti ACX: custom cooler, reference clock

980 Ti SC: reference cooler, higher factory clock

980 Ti SC ACX: custom cooler, higher factory clock

980 Ti SC+ ACX: custom cooler, higher factory clock, different backplate

980 Ti SC+ ACX Classified: custom cooler, even higher factory clock, different backplate

And for higher bins I'd need the Classified as far as EVGA goes, or something like the G1 Gaming from Gigabyte.

Qassim

That's good to hear! I guess the slightly better performance G1 is offset by MSI's quietness. No coil whine I presume?
Anyway I hope mine can overclock well, when it's all put together eventually.. Still waiting for my pc case to arrive :D

No coil whine on mine, the only time I heard a slight whine was when I had g-sync vsync off and opened up The Wticher 3 and the main menu running at like 3600fps - in which at least a slight coil whine is fairly standard, regardless of card.

DBT85

All that fucking around with 27 different models and most/all of them will clock to 1450 anyway.

What a way to confuse the marketplace.

Anyone upgrade from a 970 to a 980 ti? Do you feel worth it?

I am eyeing the MSI gaming 980 ti for 870€, and sell my MSI gaming 970 for like hopefully 250~300€.

desu

I haven't seen the Palit Super Jetstream mentioned yet. Might not be as well known as the usual brands but read good things about this cooler in the 980. It's a meaty 2-slot card with custom PCB, overclocked to 1152/1241, all for less than the price of reference at £532.78:

User in a German forum got one of these and was very happy with the cooler, apparently it's a really good cooler.

RevenWolf

SLI 980 Ti would be a good idea for 4K but make sure you have at least a good 1000W PSU and you should probably look into something like the EVGA Hybrid as the 980 Ti runs pretty hot. Then you of course have to figure out where to cram a few radiators...

My rig is using liquid cooling, would that help? Also sorry but radiators? (Sorry last year was my first of that I chose how to build so I definitely still have slot I need to learn haha)

But thanks for the psu and EVGA advice!

Anyone upgrade from a 970 to a 980 ti? Do you feel worth it?

I am eyeing the MSI gaming 980 ti for 870€, and sell my MSI gaming 970 for like hopefully 250~300€.

I feel like it would be worth it for GTAV \ Witcher 3. I was unsatisfied with my performance in those games with a 980. The 980TI is a beast though. Especially one that overclocks well (mine's running at 1538mhz).

JamesAR15

I've read a lot of people complaining about coil whine on the Gigabyte 980ti g1...is this something to be concerned about? Anyone else having the issue? I'm in the planning stages of my build and planning on getting one.

Patchy

Banned
So I switched from AMD to Nvidia over the weekend and picked up this bad boy...

MSI-GTX-980-Ti-1.jpg

A few thought and observations from my first weekend as an Nvidia Gamer:

+ The software, wow, how are AMD drivers and such always a mess compared to Nvidia?
+ Gimmick but the LED effects on the card, I love them.
+ 1-click overclocking
+ Totally silent card for the most part
+ Being able to play games maxed out on my 1440p monitor and still have locked 60 FPS at ALL times.

- Coil whine, my card has it - not badly - but enough to be annoying with headphones off
- GeForce Optimisations are really hit and miss
- Weird bug with Borderlands 2, when running 4k DSR I only hit 30 FPS. Should get way more on that engine.

TheCrow

I've read a lot of people complaining about coil whine on the Gigabyte 980ti g1...is this something to be concerned about? Anyone else having the issue? I'm in the planning stages of my build and planning on getting one.

No problem with mine. Think it's just bad luck if you get coil whine and not just with the gigabyte version.

MoonGred

Do any of you use a corsair air 240? I'm looking at upgrading my g1 970, but just want to make sure everything will fit.
How accurate are the measurements of the 980ti g1,according to the specs it should actually be shorter than my 970. Can anyone confirm this?

Unfortunately coil whine can occur with any brand of 900 series. If you get one that whines, just send it back for another one.

Wow. Using a modded bios is definitely getting more juice out of my card. I'm actually completing benchmarks at 1533 MHz now. Gonna see how far it will go...

I'm currently running at 1450mhz. Is it worth taking the time to mod my bios to try to get to over 1500mhz?

Like is there a tangible real world difference in performance or no?

I'm currently running at 1450mhz. Is it worth taking the time to mod my bios to try to get to over 1500mhz?

Like is there a tangible real world difference in performance or no?

I went from a steady ~1460 to 1538. That's the highest I could get stable on a modded bios. And I'm paying for it in higher temps \ louder fans.

Standing at the exact same spot in The Witcher 3, that makes a difference of about 3 frames per second. That is, 60 FPS to 63 FPS. A 5% increase. Overall, this card overclocks pretty damn high, but that last 5% might not be worth the added temps and higher power draw. If I were on water, I might not care so much.

The actual time invested in modding the bios was about 20 minutes. Here's what I had to do:

1. Backup my bios with GPUZ
2. Download \ extract nvflash
3. Download the MaxAIR bios
4. Flash the new bios
5. Restart computer

That's it. The guide I followed is here.

It was a fun little experiment. Still not sure if I'm going to keep it though...

I need help GAF...

I just bought the MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6G, but I'm not sure I want to keep it. I game at 1080p, and at that resolution my SLI 970's are faster in every game I tested except Watch Dogs (which I have no desire to play anyway). In some cases it's quite a bit faster (54fps vs 72fps in GTA5).

So I need advice, should I go back to my 970's, or stick with the 980 Ti? No matter which one I choose now I'm going to upgrade as soon as Pascal comes out anyway.

I need help GAF...

I just bought the MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6G, but I'm not sure I want to keep it. I game at 1080p, and at that resolution my SLI 970's are faster in every game I tested except Watch Dogs (which I have no desire to play anyway). In some cases it's quite a bit faster (54fps vs 72fps in GTA5).

So I need advice, should I go back to my 970's, or stick with the 980 Ti? No matter which one I choose now I'm going to upgrade as soon as Pascal comes out anyway.

Why did you even buy the 980 Ti? Get your money back and stick with your 970s

Why did you even buy the 980 Ti? Get your money back and stick with your 970s

I wanted to see if it would make a difference in terms of minimum framerates, and it does have overall lower power consumption than the 970's combined. Unfortunately it didn't really change the minimum fps enough to offset the lower overall fps, at least at 1080p.

Edit: Also, I wanted to be able to use MFAA since you can't with SLI currently.

DBT85

I need help GAF...

Run everything with DSR and enjoy.

Though why you'd buy now if you are going to definitely get Pascal and already had those cards and that res I don't know.

laxu

I need help GAF...

I moved from 970 SLI to single 980 Ti and felt everything ran a bit smoother. I am playing at 1440p though. Did you use Display Driver Uninstaller before installing drivers for the 980 Ti? If not, try that.

laxu

My rig is using liquid cooling, would that help? Also sorry but radiators? (Sorry last year was my first of that I chose how to build so I definitely still have slot I need to learn haha)

But thanks for the psu and EVGA advice!

Is it a custom loop or AIO cooler? If it's custom loop, you would have to get reference cards and full waterblocks or wait for waterblocks to come available for custom PCB models.

If AIO, then you need more of those and have to figure out where to place their 120mm radiators.

I moved from 970 SLI to single 980 Ti and felt everything ran a bit smoother. I am playing at 1440p though. Did you use Display Driver Uninstaller before installing drivers for the 980 Ti? If not, try that.

I did.

All the reviews I saw comparing the two were at 1440p or higher, so it's possible that at 1080p the 970's don't run into the issues they run into at higher resolutions...

Don't get me wrong, the 980 Ti was super fast for a single card, but it ran a bit slower than my 970's in most games at 1080p. And in at least one game I'd have to turn down a setting or two to hold 60fps vs the 970's.

scoobs

For those of you who went through the EVGA step-up program... how long after your old video card arrived at EVGA did it take for them to send you a new one? They got my card almost a week ago and haven't sent anything yet... getting worried.

baphomet

I need help GAF...

Well, If you bought it from newegg, I'll buy it from you for cost minus 10% (instead of their 15-25% restocking fee).

Well, If you bought it from newegg, I'll buy it from you for cost minus 10% (instead of their 15-25% restocking fee).

I did buy it from Newegg actually.

After some further swapping and testing, it appears that some games were changing their settings when I swapped the cards. So the results I have are:

Tomb Raider is about 25% faster on 970's. GTA5, Far Cry 4, Battlefield 4, and Dying Light are all 10% or less faster on the 970's. Archeage, Dragon Age Inquisition, Dead Rising 3, and Middle Earth are all about equal on both cards. Witcher 3, Skyrim, and Watch Dogs are about 10% faster on the 980 Ti. ARK is about 25% faster on the 980 Ti.

At this point I'm probably leaning towards keeping the 980 Ti, this is about what I expected when I bought it.

Top Bottom