• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

Well, that sucks. Would have been nice to have a solution for hairworks ;). Nah I'm not buying a physx card :p. They'll never put that many hairs in...

Nvidia needs to start a game dev team. We don't need theatre, just do gameplay and graphics :) I guess they could sponsor some stuff but people would probably still go for other settings with proper sli if it was great. Even with their own game... nvm.

Did you see Nvidia's Flex demo?

Skyzard

Banned
Flex is all compute. A dedicated PhysX card won't actually help. :(

Well then...the water stuff isn't happening in any big games for a long while I take it...

smh nvidia :p

Btw...if you wouldn't mind, how come it wouldn't work? Is it all done on the CPU? Or is there something about it that doesn't work well for sli? Or is SLI fine but not a dedicated physx card...

Well then...the water stuff isn't happening in any big games for a long while I take it...

smh nvidia :p

Btw...if you wouldn't mind, how come it wouldn't work? Is it all done on the CPU? Or is there something about it that doesn't work well for sli? Or is SLI fine but not a dedicated physx card...

Pretty sure a lot of the Gameworks stuff runs as compute rather than using the regular PhysX solver. Some of the older stuff that still uses the PhysX solver would technically benefit. What I really want to see is offloading physics stuff onto the Intel iGPU. The top end Skylake parts with GT4 GPUs are going to have GTX 760 level of floating point performance just sitting there idle.

NVLink is for HPC applications, especially supercomputers

That's exactly what I said.

Skyzard

Banned
Some of those frames tank pretty hard on a 780ti in those plain scenes though. Needs something else to take it on unless they make it a lot more optimised...

Sanjay

Graphics Score 20310, not low at all. Your just getting low cpu score so your overall score is gimped but your gpu score is still great.

But in games you should be 99% fine all the time.

OraleeWey

Can someone tell me what's so great about this? Why does it have a fan like that?

EVGA-GeForce-GTX-980-Ti_Hybrid.jpg

Soi-Fong

Think I'll jump in on two G1's to SLI once Skylake comes out. And that will be my VR rig.

I need a new build. My 2600k is getting a bit thin on the teeth. 780 Ti w/ it is still kicking ass though!

Think I'll jump in on two G1's to SLI once Skylake comes out. And that will be my VR rig.

I need a new build. My 2600k is getting a bit thin on the teeth. 780 Ti w/ it is still kicking ass though!
I'm waiting for Pascal cards for VR
and hanging on my 780
I was thinking of getting G1 but peeps on these thread suggested to wait

Soi-Fong

I'm waiting for Pascal cards for VR
and hanging on my 780
I was thinking of getting G1 but peeps on these thread suggested to wait

That's what's still crossing my mind right now... It really sucks that they couldn't get Pascal out in time for the Vive release this year.

I keep on hearing amazing things about Pascal, that in the end, I might just be forced to stick w/ my 780 Ti through the Vive launch.

Mifec

You probably also like the availability of the G1 more as well. Because if you want a Hybrid, your chance of getting one is about... none/10

Directly from evga sure, from shops here in Europe you can get it...by September hahaha. Good thing I'm traveling until then.

I went for it because I'm too used to my accelero IV and while it's ugly as sin I love the quiet and amount of cooling it provides. This time I want something aesthetically pleasing and since the G1 is not, at least to me I'm just gonna grab the Hybrid. Wanted to get this baby but no one is shipping to Croatia http://galaxstore.net/GALAX-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-980-Ti-HOF-LN2-Edition-6GB_p_83.html

dr_rus

That's what's still crossing my mind right now... It really sucks that they couldn't get Pascal out in time for the Vive release this year.

I keep on hearing amazing things about Pascal, that in the end, I might just be forced to stick w/ my 780 Ti through the Vive launch.

Whatever you keep hearing about Pascal is speculation and nothing more at the moment. We don't know anything about it with the exception of it having PP floats running on 2x or so compared to regular FP floats - which may or may not mean something for games as it is primarily an HPC feature.

We don't know what GPUs based on Pascal will use HBM2, we don't know if the first GPU will use 16FF process, we don't know if this GPU will be "big" or closer to GK104, we don't know how well the new process will perform and thus we don't know where the first 16FF GPUs will end up in performance compared to the last round of 28nm chips. We don't know when we can expect any of Pascal GPUs on the market either.

So if you need a new GPU - go get the 980Ti now because waiting for something which is completely unknown is pretty pointless. If you're fine with your 780Ti then sit tight. It's simple.

Seanspeed

Banned
Do you mean the fan on the back of the case? If so that's where you'd put it yes. I'll also put 2x Corsair 120sp on mine.
Yea, that's what I meant.

Pretty cool then. I'm thinking of going a bit more all-out for the next gen of GPU's and I was thinking if I dont splurge on SLI, then maybe invest in something water cooled, preferably more basic like this.

Mifec

Yea, that's what I meant.

Pretty cool then. I'm thinking of going a bit more all-out for the next gen of GPU's and I was thinking if I dont splurge on SLI, then maybe invest in something water cooled, preferably more basic like this.

It's pretty cool, I've been using a closed loop water cooling uni(h100)t for a few years now and I quite like it. Delidded my cpu, put 4 sp120 fans on the radiator and my whole system including my gpu(accelero xtreme IV custom cooler) is silent hehe.

I'm contemplating getting a 980Ti in the next couple of months, although I'm somewhat unsure of what non-reference to get.

I've done the research, and I've become really interested in the EVGA Hybrid cooled. My experience with my 680's (SLI) has made me value temperature and noise...especially in the Australia summer.

The EVGA Hybrid seems like it'll be perpetually out of stock however. So I guess the next best for noise and heat would be the MSI Gaming (Including an okay stock clock)? I've never really fixed, replaced, or even touched any hardware outside of dusting my comp every now and then...so perhaps not getting a liquid cooled GPU would be wiser, regardless of the fact that it's a closed loop system, as I'd still have to fiddle with my rear fan.

Does anyone have their 2 cents about what non-reference to get, emphasising cooling and low temps (But also a decent stock clock)?

How does the boost clock on these things work? Does it just define how high the boost will go based on temperature?

I just threw a 150 more mhz on the core clock of my G1 and it boosted up to 1450. When I put it at 200, my display driver crashed and recovered, but it still ran at over 1500 and under 75c. That's with a shitty 68% ASIC.

Does anyone have their 2 cents about what non-reference to get, emphasizing cooling and low temps (But also a decent stock clock)?

Regarding cooling, I think the Gigabyte G1 runs the coolest and performs the best. Also sports one of the highest stock clocks out of all the non-reference cards.

I was kicking myself for getting the EVGA SC+ instead of a Gigabyte. But I might be remedying that situation soon.

Sky Chief

I'm contemplating getting a 980Ti in the next couple of months, although I'm somewhat unsure of what non-reference to get.

I've done the research, and I've become really interested in the EVGA Hybrid cooled. My experience with my 680's (SLI) has made me value temperature and noise...especially in the Australia summer.

The EVGA Hybrid seems like it'll be perpetually out of stock however. So I guess the next best for noise and heat would be the MSI Gaming (Including an okay stock clock)? I've never really fixed, replaced, or even touched any hardware outside of dusting my comp every now and then...so perhaps not getting a liquid cooled GPU would be wiser, regardless of the fact that it's a closed loop system, as I'd still have to fiddle with my rear fan.

Does anyone have their 2 cents about what non-reference to get, emphasising cooling and low temps (But also a decent stock clock)?

From what I've seen it seems like the G1 is the best overall followed by the MSI.

Also, it seems that MSI will be releasing a Corsair all in one liquid cooled 980Ti eventually if you're looking for a closed loop system. I think that will be the best of the lot but who knows when it's coming out.

Bizzquik

Hi all.

I would love input for which 980ti to look at, with temperature being my #1 priority. I'm looking for a 980ti that can stay cool 'out of the box' (no water block installation, etc)

I'm currently using two crossfire'd 290's...and their heat is ridiculous, even with my attempts to create airflow in my HAF932 case. And I am seriously tired of the lack of driver support; after 8 years with AMD....I'm at my end, I think.

The EVGA Hybrid sounds like a perfect card...but yeah, its sold out almost everywhere.
The G1 is known for staying cool, though, right?

I heard a common complaint against the G1 is that its so heavy that its weight can actually damage a motherboard due to stress. I know its one of the more popular cards here on GAF. Anyone had an experience like that?

Thanks in advance.

Bizzquik

I know the G1 has a tendency to sag, but actual motherboard damage? Where have you read such a thing?

Oh, thanks for the clarification.
I read a post here on GAF about sagging and assumed it was causing damage.

So people are just scared it will cause damage? ...or, maybe just minor griping...
(looks like its 2.5 out of 5 stars at Amazon is due to Amazon's pricing)

Oh, thanks for the clarification.
I read a post here on GAF about sagging and assumed it was causing damage.

So people are just scared it will cause damage? ...or, maybe just minor griping...
(looks like its 2.5 out of 5 stars at Amazon is due to Amazon's pricing)

People respond to Amazon's price gouging by rating the PRODUCT lower. That's some bullshit, but... that's the internet for you. The gitabyte is still highly rated on newegg, and gets good reviews from hardware sites.

That said, it's not perfect. A common complaint is coil whine, to the point of people having to RMA it. You'd think they would have ironed out those issues after the first batch and continuous RMAs but... we'll see.

Bizzquik

A common complaint is coil whine, to the point of people having to RMA it. You'd think they would have ironed out those issues after the first batch and continuous RMAs but... we'll see.

Great stuff. Thanks.
Is there another 980ti out there that runs really cool....with no whine?

Top Bottom