• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

dr_rus

Great stuff. Thanks.
Is there another 980ti out there that runs really cool....with no whine?

Coil whine is a product of high fps usually. And 980Ti is a card which tend to produce high fps constantly. One would think that turning vsync on or limiting your fps to some 60-120 would take care of coil whine in many cases.

Coil whine is a product of high fps usually. And 980Ti is a card which tend to produce high fps constantly. One would think that turning vsync on or limiting your fps to some 60-120 would take care of coil whine in many cases.

I never hear my G1 whine unless I am running 3DMark and hitting crazy 500 fps in some of the benchmarks.

MoonGred

No coilwhine on my g1 either, apart from the first time I installed it and booted up my pc. The fan on this thing is something else, I can actually feel it vibrating through my desk and sometimes sounds like a jet engine, this is with an auto fan curve through afterburner though which keeps the card around 66° under load tops, leaving it at stock makea the card a lot more quiet but you do sacrifice cooler temps.

I was really surprised by the weight of this thing, i expected it to be close to the 970 but this is not the case, actually found that the card sags less than the g1 970 as well which is a bonus.

Really impressed with this card so far.

hitgirl

I guess this is the pre-order -

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B010XDJ36K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thought price was $700, it will probably adjust around release date.

This thing gonna sag the shit out of my motherboard. As I already have a bit of card sag with my 780.

photo13_zps428b0c5e.jpg

Blitzhex

I guess this is the pre-order -

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B010XDJ36K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thought price was $700, it will probably adjust around release date.

This thing gonna sag the shit out of my motherboard. As I already have a bit of card sag with my 780.

I love that 3.25 bay mod, I want to do it to my 350D so badly.
The 980ti has some brace running down the side so that might help in rigidity. I know my 970 DCU2 sags like a bitch.

hitgirl

I love that 3.25 bay mod, I want to do it to my 350D so badly.
The 980ti has some brace running down the side so that might help in rigidity. I know my 970 DCU2 sags like a bitch.

Thank you, it was only an afternoon of cutting it out, really easy. Since then I've moved the h100i up to the top as the exhaust and put two 140MM fans up front to let me graphics card breath a ton. OH sweet, I just looked up the brace specs and that's awesome. What quality stuff.

I'm actually now looking at the Asus Matrix 980TI. I think that will be best for what I need. Anyone know the price of it?

I know the G1 has a tendency to sag, but actual motherboard damage? Where have you read such a thing?

The 980 Ti's which have a backplate don't really have any noticeable sag.

I've never heard of a heavy video card damaging a motherboard and I've had some huge damn video cards in my computers over the years.

Stolen Sheep

Neo Member
What game settings would you recommend to get the most out of a 980 ti on a DDR2 system? To be specific, it's paired with a Core 2 Q6660 OC'd to 3.0 Ghz. The PCIe slot is 2.0.

I've noticed that increasing or decreasing some setting have little or no effect on FPS but I'm unsure what I should be racketing up and which ones rely more on the ancient parts of the computer. The two games I've been fiddling with the most are Witcher 3 and GTA V.

And to clarify that I'm not a total nut, I'm waiting for Skylake to build the rest of the new computer so I've put the 980 ti in the old computer for the craic while I wait.

What game settings would you recommend to get the most out of a 980 ti on a DDR2 system? To be specific, it's paired with a Core 2 Q6660 OC'd to 3.0 Ghz. The PCIe slot is 2.0.

I've noticed that increasing or decreasing some setting have little or no effect on FPS but I'm unsure what I should be racketing up and which ones rely more on the ancient parts of the computer. The two games I've been fiddling with the most are Witcher 3 and GTA V.

And to clarify that I'm not a total nut, I'm waiting for Skylake to build the rest of the new computer so I've put the 980 ti in the old computer for the craic while I wait.

Any options for population density should help alleviate some of the use of your CPU. Other than that, may as well max everything because your card is being held back by your CPU by quite a bit.

ZOONAMI

G1 Gaming is on the way, returned my EVGA 980 ti SC for it

Build will be

Gigabyte 980 ti G1 Gaming
Xeon 1231v3
Phanteks Enthoo Evolve mATX case
16gb Gskill 1833 DDR3
240gb Kingston SSD
1 TB Barracuda 7200rpm
LG Blu-ray
ASrock Killer OC mATX board

Other build I have that I'm not sure if I will keep (thinking I will use this with my 28 inch 4k monitor, and the new build for the 65" 4k TV - it's a hassle to move a computer back and forth lol)

EVGA GTX 970 SSC with backplate
i5 4690k
EVGA Hadron Air mITX case
8gb Gskill 2133 DDR3
240gb Kingston SSD
1 TB 7200rpm
Pioneer BDRW
Gigabyte z97 ITX Wifi Board

My current rig flies as it is, the new one should be ridiculous

The Goat

My EVGA 980ti SC still TDRs a lot when trying to OC with precision X. Beta drivers have helped, but still needs improvement. Almost to the point of RMA'ing the card and seeing if it's that.

Should be able to push this card more than the small out of box OC it has now. Anyone have this card that and have been able to keep it stable OC'ing with precision x or afterburner?

Card never goes over 75c btw. So not overheating.

ZOONAMI

My EVGA 980ti SC still TDRs a lot when trying to OC with precision X. Beta drivers have helped, but still needs improvement. Almost to the point of RMA'ing the card and seeing if it's that.

Should be able to push this card more than the small out of box OC it has now. Anyone have this card that and have been able to keep it stable OC'ing with precision x or afterburner?

I had the same problems with that exact card, tons of crashes. I did an RMA with newegg and asked for store credit, which they surprisingly gave to me. Have a gigabyte g1 on the way.

Grassy

What drivers are you using? I stopped getting the TDR crashes with the 353.38 hotfix drivers - http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3694/~/geforce-hotfix-driver-353.38

I've got two reference Evga SC's. I use MSI Afterburner to overclock. I've had a fair few 4-5 hour sessions with The Witcher 3 with no issues on these drivers. They're the first stable drivers I've used with these cards.

They've also just released the 353.49 hotfix drivers - http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3698

Sounds to me like you just lost the silicon lottery. It happens.

If you attempt an RMA you'll need a real valid reason, "it doesn't OC enough" will not be considered valid and your RMA will be rejected.

Ha yours has the same bubble in the left sticker that mine had. I was able to get most of it out with my fingernail but it was still an annoying first impression for a $680 card.

I couldn't take mine off! I didn't want to scratch it with my nail :/

Wag

Not sure but I think my PS is bad because my system shutdown even with 1 980Ti in it. Odd how it was fine with 3 OG 6GB Titans.

HCP_1300_Platinum_01.jpg

Antec is sending me this one to replace my old HCP-1200. My old 1200 had the fan on the towards the back of the case blowing out- this one blows inside of the case- so it will blow up on the cards while the 980Ti's will blow down on the PS fan. That will be odd.

ASIC really doesn't mean much in the big scheme of things.

Wag

One of my cards is 70.6% and has a really loud coil whine. Once I get my system stable I think I might RMA it.

Arex

My card's ASIC is just 68.3% ~_~

Push your memory close to 8000mhz, your graphics score will break 20,000.

I can try go that high? Generally how high would you go for a start?
Also how do we test the stability of the overclock. I just run firestrike, is it enough?

mjp2417

Banned
Also how do we test the stability of the overclock. I just run firestrike, is it enough?

Run a demanding game (Witcher 3 is perfect for this if you own it) for an hour or so. If you don't crash you should be good. This is much more reliable than testing via benchmarks.

Arex

Run a demanding game (Witcher 3 is perfect for this if you own it) for an hour or so. If you don't crash you should be good. This is much more reliable than testing via benchmarks.

I only have Batman right now, doesn't seem to have any problem running, but maybe because I'm still early in the game haha

Nice, good for you dude. I really lucked out with my MSi 6G 980ti... that 82.2% ASIC rating doe. I'm boosting to 1500 and 7000 fairly easily.

Well unfortunately my other Gigabyte is a dud. Not that it matters because running these in SLI causes the heat to jump to 80 degrees (top card). That causes them to downclock to 1460 and the fans sound like jet engines trying to maintain that 80 degrees.

Watercooling would be nice right about now.

The Goat

Sounds to me like you just lost the silicon lottery. It happens.

If you attempt an RMA you'll need a real valid reason, "it doesn't OC enough" will not be considered valid and your RMA will be rejected.

Yes, I realize "it doesn't OC enough" isn't a valid RMA excuse, lol. I've had crashes not related to OC'ing in stock form (game crashes mostly, or running Fire Strike demo) so it is very possible I could have a bad card. Just having Precision X running, without any OC'ing, was causing crashes on the initial drivers (353.06 I believe). From what I've read TDR crashes are pretty common with a lot of 980 ti's.

I'll try the latest beta drivers and see how it goes.

Qassim

Yes, I realize "it doesn't OC enough" isn't a valid RMA excuse, lol. I've had crashes not related to OC'ing in stock form (game crashes mostly, or running Fire Strike demo) so it is very possible I could have a bad card. From what I've read TDR crashes are pretty common with a lot of 980 ti's.

I'll try the latest beta drivers and see how it goes.

If you're not running 353.38 hotfix drivers, then you need to - those drivers specifically address the crashing on the 900 series GPUs.

Wag

No...But a really loud coil whine is reason to RMA and mine is annoying as hell. I really don't notice it all that much because I game mostly using headphones, but when I don't...

Lexxism

Your graphics score is what a 980ti should do out of the box. Are you sure your oc is applied while testing?
Yeah, used the afterburner to increase the mhz by 300 and saw my core clock increased in my GPU-Z. The weird is I actually got a better score with using Gigabyte OG Guru II with only like 50 mhz increase. I'll probably try again using that software and see if I can get a better results.

I'm actually new to this stuff and pardon my ignorance

Arex

Yeah, used the afterburner to increase the mhz by 300 and saw my core clock increased in my GPU-Z. The weird is I actually got a better score with using Gigabyte OG Guru II with only like 50 mhz increase. I'll probably try again using that software and see if I can get a better results.

I'm actually new to this stuff and pardon my ignorance

There seems to be some time measuring error on your result, not sure what caused that though! So that may be the problem. Maybe afterburner has some incompatibility too, idk :p

Anyway original graphic score is about there too, http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5371894 I've pushed it over 20k though now haha http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5381197

Lexxism

^ I think I got what's my problem with the 3Dmark score. I think it's because of my low physics score. Is this reliant on my CPU? If so, I guess that's explained why score.

Your graphics score is what a 980ti should do out of the box. Are you sure your oc is applied while testing?
I did some checking. I'm getting around the 18k without doing any OC. If do the OC, it will be around 19k+. I haven't reached the 20k though.

ZOONAMI

OK.... I know SLI scaling isn't perfect but I expected them to do better in Firestrike. Something seems wrong.

A single card can score over 5000 in Firestrike Ultra.

SLI - http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5379511

That's worse than reference 980TIs in SLI according to this.

Firestrike Ultra

Single -> SLI

Theirs: 3944 -> 7458

Mine: 5015 -> 7341

Probably because the ref cards actually throttle less from heat than non-ref in sli. You want the blower coolers for sli.

They shouldnt throttle until their temp limit. Reference will always overheat after than aftermarket. The whole "blower is better for sli" is largely overblown imo.

Top Bottom