• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

Probably because the ref cards actually throttle less from heat than non-ref in sli. You want the blower coolers for sli.

Well I'm watching the GPU clock while the bench is running and it stays at 1506 - 1524 the entire time. Same as the single GPU clock test. So there is very little throttling.

Doesn't seem to be effecting other people running these in SLI either - http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5383746 (same cards, similar processor)

Well I'm watching the GPU clock while the bench is running and it stays at 1506 - 1524 the entire time. Same as the single GPU clock test. So there is very little throttling.

Doesn't seem to be effecting other people running these in SLI either - http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5383746 (same cards, similar processor)

Your graphics score is low. I'm not pushing cards clock nearly as hard as yours (1418) and my graphics score using 2 G1 Gamings is 8703 on the Firestrike Ultra. There's nothing funky going on like driver force vsync or anything like that right?

The Acer XB270HU has arrived and then the G1 comes next week, can't wait to combo them up!

I'm in that same boat. I ordered the Acer XB270H and am furiously refreshing every day for the 980 Ti Classified. Shit, at this point it looks like I'll be getting the 980 Ti Classified when Skylake comes out in August and I build a new rig.

Rolfgang

I'm in that same boat. I ordered the Acer XB270H and am furiously refreshing every day for the 980 Ti Classified. Shit, at this point it looks like I'll be getting the 980 Ti Classified when Skylake comes out in August and I build a new rig.

I also got (I guess) extremely lucky and got one without any dead pixels, dust and only minimal bleed/glow.

Is this true?

No one knows for sure, but that's the latest rumor. Supposedly they'll make their debut at or shortly after IDF(Intel Developer Forum).

I also got (I guess) extremely lucky and got one without any dead pixels, dust and only minimal bleed/glow.
I haven't noticed any kinds of issues with mine thus far. I kind of hope to stay ignorant and not see it if it does exist. One of my other monitors got scratched and I notice that every day I look at it.

Your graphics score is low. I'm not pushing cards clock nearly as hard as yours (1418) and my graphics score using 2 G1 Gamings is 8703 on the Firestrike Ultra. There's nothing funky going on like driver force vsync or anything like that right?

Yeah, no kidding. My single card graphics score is one of the highest I've seen, but in SLI they're just complete shit.

I'm thinking I'm going to return the one card. This scaling just isn't worth it in SLI. In games I'm getting 95% load on 1 card and 65% on the other.

My graphics score on Firestrike (Steam demo version) is 18097.

This is with an OC on top of the factory OC, with a total boost clock of 1391. Seems low compared to other people, even those with less OC.

This is with 353.38 and 2560x1440.

Do you have a gsync monitor?

Does that impact the score?

x3sphere

Interesting post from kingpin on the 980 Ti KPE

http://kingpincooling.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30385&postcount=18

We will support all:
1st OC bios release will unlock a little something for the mainstream gamers/users that are lazy and don't really wanna overclock or overvolt, but still want the best frame rates "Out of the box". With this first OC bios, the card is at the same perf level of titan-x when comparing clock-clock say 1450mhz to 1450mhz and same mem frequency. Don't think NV will allow that on approved bios tho, so cant ship with that one
]

Same perf at same clocks at Titan X, how is that even possible? My only guess is maybe the OC BIOS unlocks the additional CUDA cores, effectively making it a TX with 6GB VRAM?

The Goat

If you're not running 353.38 hotfix drivers, then you need to - those drivers specifically address the crashing on the 900 series GPUs.

Hot fix drivers did the trick, thanks! OC testing is so much fun, hah. I've had the card up to 1542mhz boost clock and +300 on the memory. These cards have a lot of head room. Seemed stable running Fire Strike. I'll play Witcher 3 for a few hours, see how it holds up.

Interesting post from kingpin on the 980 Ti KPE

http://kingpincooling.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30385&postcount=18

]

Same perf at same clocks at Titan X, how is that even possible? My only guess is maybe the OC BIOS unlocks the additional CUDA cores, effectively making it a TX with 6GB VRAM?

Oh man, if the shader cores aren't laser cut as is custom with these cut down parts, that would be amazing and ridiculous.

Sounds like BS though, both Nvidia and AMD have been laser cutting the cut down parts for years now after people figured out how to unlock old ATI (pre-AMD era) cards.

man that kingpin looks sweet ass hell.
I have a x2 Titan X but if I didn't I would be all over these

Yeah, it is amazing looking. I am pretty sure I am power limited on my Titan X OC sadly. Hits 110% Power pretty easily when getting full core usage, especially at higher resolutions.

Only if I had more power...

Skyzard

Banned
Out of nowhere...coil whine. EVGA 980ti SC+. Really fucking irritating random buzzing just browsing about. Doesn't change when in-game.

Almost sounds like dial-up.

...went away... rma is setup, dunno...

Yeah, it is amazing looking. I am pretty sure I am power limited on my Titan X OC sadly. Hits 110% Power pretty easily when getting full core usage, especially at higher resolutions.

Only if I had more power...

Pretty easy if you mod the BIOS. Adding a little more power is not too difficult, and isn't harmful at all. Really lets you get more juice out of it and prevents throttling from the power limit.

longdi

Banned
Oh man, if the shader cores aren't laser cut as is custom with these cut down parts, that would be amazing and ridiculous.

Sounds like BS though, both Nvidia and AMD have been laser cutting the cut down parts for years now after people figured out how to unlock old ATI (pre-AMD era) cards.

Not for AMD. I been unlocking theirs. ;)

I am very seriously considering upgrading from my 980. It's damn expensive here in Canada, it'd be about $1000 with taxes and shipping, but I should be able to get $500 CAD for my lightly used, two month old 980. Decisions, decisions. That MSI 980 Ti just keeps calling my name.

I am very seriously considering upgrading from my 980. It's damn expensive here in Canada, it'd be about $1000 with taxes and shipping, but I should be able to get $500 CAD for my lightly used, two month old 980. Decisions, decisions. That MSI 980 Ti just keeps calling my name.

A lot of people made the upgrade from 970 to 980 Ti, but the upgrade value from 980 to 980 Ti seems less appealing unless you are gunning for 4K gaming.

Just as I thought, all those alert buttons and nowinstock.net were absolutely worthless for me. This is how I got it. I opened three tabs for the amazon link, newegg, and evga. I have a chrome browser add on called auto refresh plus. I set the refresh interval for 30 seconds. I left these tabs open on another monitor and glanced over periodically. When I saw the "add to cart button", I had to do a double take. Here's the funny thing: I rushed to add the item to cart and enter my details and forgot to turn off the refresh add on. So every time I kept entering in my credit card, the page refreshed and asked me to log in again. lol

Bizzquik

980 Ti Classified is available on Newegg! Fly you fools!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_re=980_ti_classified-_-14-487-146-_-Product

Linkage for classy. It's only $20 more than what I paid for my 980ti :( Guess that's the price of getting it day one

Just bought....because GAF told me to !
I'd been debating a 980ti for some time.

Anyone know how the cooling is on the Classified...? I'm wondering if I'm going to regret not waiting on the perpetually-not-in-stock Hybrid, with its built-in water cooling.

Thanks. :)

Tablo

Man not even sure the Classy is worth it, is the cooling any better than the normal ACX 2.0+?
Also if anyone is running one of these custom 980 Ti cards in a Node 304 hmu with impressions and observations please.

chuseph14

Neo Member
If you're already investing $680 in a card and skipping out on the extra $20 for a classified, you'd be making a huge mistake IMO. Classified cards are binned and well worth the measly price increase. Generally, they'll overclock better and run cooler at lower voltages.

The classified is using the same cooler as the other EVGA non reference designs. It's a fantastic cooler. At stock it runs fanless at lower temperatures, which is basically any time you're not gaming. It keeps my card well below 80C even with an aggressive overclock.

Skyzard

Banned
Anyone without a g-sync monitor finding the v-sync not as good in some games? Came from a 780ti, it was smooth as silk in everything. Not 100% as I recently DDU'd the old drivers and that took away custom profile settings, so I may have been a bit of a noob in early comparisons...and I started playing BF4, which I hadn't done for a long time so I'm not sure about it but the lag with v-sync is pretty bad, and there was awful hitching too (mini-freezes) with v-sync on via nvcp...but that may have been rtss as well or some other app I can't say. But damn it was bad, wasn't like that before, at least the hitching. The slowdown was always there in bf4. Gone with v-sync off, and the tearing isn't bad at all at 90fps+, if I lower the smoothing option I get lots of tearing.

With g-sync you don't need to have v-sync on I assume...it does it's own thing right, but does it introduce any lag or is it like playing with v-sync off?

It's strange as not all games are like that, some fps games are so damn fluid even with v-sync but bf4, even at 50% load doesn't quite feel as good - I read triple buffering is on by default. And tbh I'm much happier with the game now that that lag has been removed. I always force frame render ahead to 1 in nvcp for challenging games.

Grassy

Is this even possible to buy from anywhere in Europe at all?
http://eu.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=400-HY-0996-B1&family=Accessories - Hardware&uc=EUR
HYBRID Water Cooler (All in One) for GTX 980 Ti

I had to order mine from Amazon about a month ago. ETA is from 5th of August to 4th of September... I'm in Australia but I couldn't find anywhere here or in Europe that was selling/shipping here.

I just had another look and scan.co.uk have them arriving this week apparently: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/evga...80ti-(all-in-one)-copper-base-120mm-radiator-
Although I know nothing of their reputation.

I also found this one: https://www.caseking.de/en/evga-hybrid-wasserkuehlung-geforce-gtx-titan-x-wase-266.html
It's for the Titan X but will fit the 980 Ti according to the EVGA forums. It just has a different shroud.

Quotient

It seems the 980TI are still hard to come by. The MSI Gaming 6G seems to have a back-order of a few weeks to months.

Any idea when supply will match demand?

paskowitz

Just bought....because GAF told me to !
I'd been debating a 980ti for some time.

Anyone know how the cooling is on the Classified...? I'm wondering if I'm going to regret not waiting on the perpetually-not-in-stock Hybrid, with its built-in water cooling.

Thanks. :)

I have one. I got very unlucky with the silicon lottery. To which my answer to your question is... it depends.

On stock settings (no OC), the card is quiet. However, I would HIGHLY recommend making your own fan profile as the stock one is garbage. IMO keep the fans on 20% to 60c, at 60c/30%, 65c/40%, 70c/50%, 75c/60%, 80c/75%, 85c/90%, 90c/100%. With the fans on your card should idle in the low 40c range.

The fans go over 3000rpm so when they are maxed... it is like a a plane taking off. But 50% speed should keep you cool and quiet for the majority of situations. It all depends on your card. Some people report clocks of 1560Mhz at 70c (100% utilization). My card is super shit and can only manage 1450Mhz at 75c (100% util).

If you plan on overclocking, I would also recommend try the LN2 bios mode (switch near the power connectors).

Anyone without a g-sync monitor finding the v-sync not as good in some games? Came from a 780ti, it was smooth as silk in everything. Not 100% as I recently DDU'd the old drivers and that took away custom profile settings, so I may have been a bit of a noob in early comparisons...and I started playing BF4, which I hadn't done for a long time so I'm not sure about it but the lag with v-sync is pretty bad, and there was awful hitching too (mini-freezes) with v-sync on via nvcp...but that may have been rtss as well or some other app I can't say. But damn it was bad, wasn't like that before, at least the hitching. The slowdown was always there in bf4. Gone with v-sync off, and the tearing isn't bad at all at 90fps+, if I lower the smoothing option I get lots of tearing.

With g-sync you don't need to have v-sync on I assume...it does it's own thing right, but does it introduce any lag or is it like playing with v-sync off?

It's strange as not all games are like that, some fps games are so damn fluid even with v-sync but bf4, even at 50% load doesn't quite feel as good - I read triple buffering is on by default. And tbh I'm much happier with the game now that that lag has been removed. I always force frame render ahead to 1 in nvcp for challenging games.

the input lag of gsync is like vsync off.

Bizzquik

The classified is using the same cooler as the other EVGA non reference designs. It's a fantastic cooler. At stock it runs fanless at lower temperatures, which is basically any time you're not gaming. It keeps my card well below 80C even with an aggressive overclock.

Thanks for the info.
That makes me happy. :)

Top Bottom