• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

It seems the 980TI are still hard to come by. The MSI Gaming 6G seems to have a back-order of a few weeks to months.

Any idea when supply will match demand?

I haven't had a whole lot of trouble....

Ub3tIdv.jpg

Only keeping 2 and sending 1 of them back :p

(gotta vacuum in here....)

What does the LN bios do?

Pretty sure it disables the voltage scaling. Probably locks it and allows it to be pushed craaaaazy high for massive overclocks. Unlocks a massive amount of wattage as well I'm guessing.

Obviously that mode is meant for LN2 cooling... but I'm pretty sure you have enough control to tweak the power\voltage for air\water as well. No idea though as I've never used one. Super jealous of anyone getting them. I just didn't want to wait around and then miss my chance to buy them because I was off doing something else (like I would have been tonight)

Elrina

Neo Member
Thinking about ordering an MSI 980 Ti Gaming for my fiance for her birthday, which is in about 3~ weeks. I can't afford to upgrade her entire build until closer to Christmas, and right now she has an i7 950 from years ago and a GTX 460. She's been playing ARK a lot, and we were planning on upgrading one of our PCs this holiday season and one next fall (after Pascal), and she's kind of wanting it sooner while I feel like I want to wait anyway.

Just wondering if it'll be worth the price tag when paired with the older processor, since we won't be able to upgrade the rest of her build until probably late November/early December. It would be a nice surprise to have it early, but it's not something she's actively wanting either, so ~ idk.

spannicus

SHADES

Just nabbed the MSI GTX980ti 6G @ Dabs.com £50 off today only £549, should be here tomorrow am excited :D

Edit* looks like I got one of the last ones as the deal is now removed from the main page?

980 Ti on the way via EVGA's Step-Up program! Should be here by Monday, the day after I receive all my furniture from the movers. Perfect time to get back into Batman: Arkham Knight.

This is just a heads up to anyone looking for a 980 ti. I have one for sale in the b/s/t thread that is only slightly used. I decided to go with an MSI non reference instead of the EVGA non reference. Thought I would post in here in case someone is looking for a cheap tax free card to have.

kpjolee

If you're already investing $680 in a card and skipping out on the extra $20 for a classified, you'd be making a huge mistake IMO. Classified cards are binned and well worth the measly price increase. Generally, they'll overclock better and run cooler at lower voltages.

The classified is using the same cooler as the other EVGA non reference designs. It's a fantastic cooler. At stock it runs fanless at lower temperatures, which is basically any time you're not gaming. It keeps my card well below 80C even with an aggressive overclock.

No, they are not binned. They only test it to make sure they run stable at advertised freq.

Just picked mine up from a UPS collection point. Didn't realise Overclockers did this.

RrqPVb4.jpg

pAymJwA.jpg

£600 well spent!

Lots of the components stores do that, I know Aria do it too. It's done when the item they're shipping is underweight relative to the weight limit of the courier service. They then choose to include a little bonus.

If you're already investing $680 in a card and skipping out on the extra $20 for a classified, you'd be making a huge mistake IMO. Classified cards are binned and well worth the measly price increase. Generally, they'll overclock better and run cooler at lower voltages.

The classified is using the same cooler as the other EVGA non reference designs. It's a fantastic cooler. At stock it runs fanless at lower temperatures, which is basically any time you're not gaming. It keeps my card well below 80C even with an aggressive overclock.

No GPU is "binned" in the sense that CPU dies are. It doesn't matter if you buy a Classy, a Kingpin, or a reference board. They are all the same GPUs. The only difference is the factory overclocked parts are tested to make sure they can sustain the factory overclock. Not one mhz is guaranteed above that factory overclock no matter how much you pay.

No GPU is "binned" in the sense that CPU dies are. It doesn't matter if you buy a Classy, a Kingpin, or a reference board. They are all the same GPUs. The only difference is the factory overclocked parts are tested to make sure they can sustain the factory overclock. Not one mhz is guaranteed above that factory overclock no matter how much you pay.

Bu-bu-but GPU GAUNTLET!!

jfoul

I was set on buying the Gigabyte G1 GTX980ti, but I was able to grab a reference EVGA GTX 980 for $350 during the Amazon Warehouse sale.

Where exactly can I buy this card for 605 euros? I'll be in Europe next week for a while and I wanted to sell my 980 and pick this up.

I'll be in Holland/Belgium/Germany/Sweden/Switzerland, so if anyone could point out some good deals I'd be super grateful!

So I figure I will post my brief impression after my 2 days with my Palit Super Jetstream in case anybody eyeing it can have a different opinion beside the Guru3d's review.

Performance

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5404211
The card out of the box gets around 19k graphics score, which is in the same ballpark with other cards. I tried a small 100mhz OC and pushed it over 20k easily.​

Heat:

After a firestrike run, the card reached a max temp of 70c, which is only 2 degrees higher than my last card, a MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G.​

Noise:

Under 60c, the card's fans turns off so of course it's silent, and when being under full load, the card is no louder than my 970. Which is quite ok imo. My case is right under my desk, next to my leg and I can barely hear it hum when wearing headfone without any sound playing.​

Size and look:

The card is about 10 mm longer than the 970, and taller, yet it doesn't sag as much as the 970. But this might be because of the backplate and the fact that my pci cable are strained a bit more thus lifting the card up.​

Overall:

This is the first time I go with a lesser known brand, my previous cards are 1 XFX, 3 ASUS cards and I am very pleased with how it performs, at least for the last 2 days.

I actually bought a Gigabyte G1, but it was out of stock and i was tired of waiting, so I snatched this instead for nearly 80€ less. Quite happy with that. Funnily enough, the day after my card was shipped, the G1 was notified to be in stock.​

Hasney

Coming into a bit of money in the next few months, either going to get one of these to replace my ageing 560ti, unless there's some concrete dates/info on Pascal and NVLINK motherboards. First half of next year I can deal with waiting, second half or no info and I'm pulling the trigger.

Rolfgang

Where exactly can I buy this card for 605 euros? I'll be in Europe next week for a while and I wanted to sell my 980 and pick this up.

I'll be in Holland/Belgium/Germany/Sweden/Switzerland, so if anyone could point out some good deals I'd be super grateful!

At least not in The Netherlands. I think your best bet is Germany, prices are a bit lower there.

Thanks. So I guess I need to be prepared to spend over €700. Ugh, wish I could get it through the US!

Any recommendations on which brand I should go for?

It's honestly hard to go wrong. If I cared about case aesthetics, I'd try and pick one that matches the rest of my setup. The only exception is the Classified. But supply is low and demand is high so good luck with that.

On another note, here is how my 2 Gigabyte G1s scale in SLI (using firestrike benchmarks on Windows 7):

Card 1: 76.5% ASIC - max boost 1530mhz, +400 memory

Firestrike Normal (21699 graphics)
Firestrike Ultra (4992 graphics)

Card 2: 69% ASIC - max boost 1520mhz, +600 memory

Firestrike Normal (21667 graphics)
Firestrike Ultra (5062 graphics)

Both Cards in SLI

Firestrike Normal (35254 graphics) = 162% scaling
Firestrike Ultra (9165 graphics) = 182% scaling

In SLI, I run them at 1510mhz, +400 on memory. +87mV for stability.

Arex

Hey guys, just wondering, is this pcie setup for my msi 980 ti correct? I wasn't the one who set up the pc as I never done it before, so I'm not sure.. seems to me it's 1 8pin power split into 2x 8pin?

596a7f47-7518-4912-a558-a9e21c008bcb_zpsh8imfa9q.jpg

Also I'm getting vrel and pwr for perfcap reason when running firestrike. Do they mean anything bad? The firestrike combined score fluctuates between 7000s and 7600s @_@

Wag

st-5589060-1.jpg

I got my replacement PS from Antec today. Nice upgrade for free, considering I had the old one for over 4yrs. This one is 1300w Platinum, the old one is 1200w Gold. It's awesome. I think it has 4 12v rails. Might be overkill for my setup now that I went from 3 OG Titans to 2 980Tis but it's free so I'm not complaining. It only has 9 SATA plugs tho- most high-power PSUs have at least 12.

Hopefully this fixes my problem. If it's something like my motherboard I'll plotz. I didn't plan on upgrading at least until Skylake. 😓

st-5589060-1.jpg

I got my replacement PS from Antec today. Nice upgrade for free, considering I had the old one for over 4yrs. This one is 1300w Platinum, the old one is 1200w Gold. It's awesome. I think it has 4 12v rails. Might be overkill for my setup now that I went from 3 OG Titans to 2 980Tis but it's free so I'm not complaining. It only has 9 SATA plugs tho- most high-power PSUs have at least 12.

Hopefully this fixes my problem. If it's something like my motherboard I'll plotz. I didn't plan on upgrading at least until Skylake. 😓

I don't pretend to know the important of 12v rails.... but my GPU only has 1? Is that.... bad?

It's an EVGA Supernova P2 1000w

Hasney

st-5589060-1.jpg

God I love Antec. Managed to grab a 1000w that only fits their cases on clearance one time and its so silent and cool it's fantastic. Can't wait to push it with one of these cards or Pascal.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Rails don't matter on PSU and most of the multirail designs were 'fake'. The 1300Plat might actually have multirail but I don't think it matters.

AJLma

That 980 Ti Kingpin is too much.

What kind of overclocks do Kingpin cards usually achieve that makes them worth the huge premium over other high end customs?

Top Bottom