• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

GHG

Gold Member
Why would rear intake make more sense?
Rear atmosphere exhaust cards are actually alot more rare these days.

The cards we had lastgen almost all recirculated air back into the case and up into your CPU cooler, which why people with AICs had to bite the bullet and decide which component they didnt mind running slightly hotter.
Either your radiator was on the front so your GPU was slightly hotter, or the radiator was on the top meaning your CPU was slightly hotter.

We are still blowing hot GPU air upwards into the case just alot faster.
If you have an oversized CPU cooler you might be in luck as the hot GPU air will rush past and not into the cooler.
People with regular sized coolers are likely gonna have hotter CPUs going forward with this cooler design.

Switching the rear to intake was assuming you also have intake at the bottom of your case. But then I realised most cases aren't like mine and have no fans at the bottom and instead have fans at the front of the case that are typically used for intake. I also have an AIO so the considerations are a bit different.

So in a "regular" air cooled case I guess you would want intake at the front, intake at the rear, switch the direction the air flows through your CPU cooler and have outtakes on the top at an rpm that is sufficient enough to draw out the hot air without killing airflow.

Just thinking off the top of my head here, might be completely wrong. I'm sure someone will figure out the best fan configuration for these cards.

Last edited:

DonMigs85

Why such limited ram on the 3080 is this some dumb marketing ploy to trick you into buying the 3090 i mean it's literally 2.5 times the ram ffs. 700$ sounds great though, it'll probably be 1000$+ in my country unfortunately.
bet they'll do a 20GB version eventually, and maybe 16GB for the 3070

Patrick S.

Banned
Wow, those prices are much more digestible than we thought. I'm hyper glad I didn't buy a used 2070S for €400 a few weeks ago like I was going to. I hope crypto mining victims won't ruin prices for used GPUs again.

Man, I feel really fortunate to have not skimped on cooling or a PSU when I built my PC a few years ago. By skimped, I mean to quickly buy what's cheapest to fit my budget and not wait and search for deals. Did my research and planned ahead. Though, I had no idea I'd be dealing with a fan on the top of the GPU. But since I went with an expandable AIO water cooled CPU setup, I'll probably not have any issues. I also watched slickdeals.com like a hawk right before I ordered my parts and snagged an 850w gold EVGA modular PSU.

And since I'm using a 1440p Gsync monitor, I'll be set for quite a while going with a 3080. And if I ever have any framerate issues with RTX, I'll just turn on DLSS.

Also, since the card is actually much less than I was planning, I'll be able to pick up whatever SSDs I need to in order to keep up with whatever games may require/benefit from them, if my M.2's already can't.

Or just upgrade my 8086k... Anyone know how much of a difference that would actually make for me?

Now lets poor one out for everyone who recently bought a 2080 ti...

tenor.gif

Patrick S.

Banned
I will just be buying Nvidia blowers. I don't plan to be overclocking anything here. £1400 is the RRP it seems, I can make half that back with my 2080TI

Not to attack you, but why would I spend 700 moneys on a used 2080TI when I can buy a brand new 3070, with warranty, that has more power than the 2080TI, for 500? Makes absolutely no sense. I'm afraid original 2080TI buyers got terribly screwed by nvidia's pricing, both at the time of buying and of selling it on. RIP

Jigga117

The funny thing here is now SeX will look silly being priced anywhere near $599 lol
This makes no sense simply ignoring you still got to buy the rest of the components for the PC lol. Even if you are upgrading this is a PCI 4.0 card and no guarantee how performance with 3year old CPU will be. Regardless this Isn’t going to sway someone to buy a PC when they give two shits about PC and stay console for life.

DonMigs85

This makes no sense simply ignoring you still got to buy the rest of the components for the PC lol. Even if you are upgrading this is a PCI 4.0 card and no guarantee how performance with 3year old CPU will be. Regardless this Isn’t going to sway someone to buy a PC when they give two shits about PC and stay console for life.
Yeah, even $599 for something with an 8-core Ryzen 3xxx CPU, RTX 2080-level GPU, 16GB GDDR6 and fast 1TB Nvme is quite reasonable.

CuNi

Yeh I'm thinking a lot of people are going to have to reconfigure their fans to get heat under control if you go for a FE card.

Most people go for a rear exhaust setup but with these cards a rear intake might be more beneficial and then exhaust the air out the top of the case only (assuming your case also has top fan mounts).

if you go rear intake, you'd be sucking in the heat that is being exhausted from the card in the back from Fan #1.
I think 3080 won't run that hot and if you go 3090, you should be able to afford a AiO to cool your CPU so you can move your fans away from the GPU Heat radiation zone of death.

anothertech

Not ignoring the other components.

Just stating the fact it will look over priced with half the power.

I literally bought a i5 9600k and msi z390 combo last week. Looking to get the 3070. You guys seeing any issues with this that I am not? Didnt really want to spend more than I did.

GHG

Gold Member
I literally bought a i5 9600k and msi z390 combo last week. Looking to get the 3070. You guys seeing any issues with this that I am not? Didnt really want to spend more than I did.

Nope, no issues with that configuration as long as your PSU is good enough.

You might be a little bit CPU bottlenecked in some scenarios if you're running at 1080p or below but nothing to be overly worried about.

Haha get fucked Big Navi. AMD thought oh yeah let's target 2080 or 2080 Ti performance, Nvidia is like haha oh our next gen is just casually twice as fast LUL

I want a 3090 but God trying to order one in September 24th will be a madhouse. Newegg going to crash.

CuNi

Is there any news on NVEnv Gen 7? Awkwardly quit on this one.
I wonder if NVEnc also does a similarly huge performance jump.

I think my only unknown is PCIE 4.0 support. My main Pc is a 9700K with a Asus Maximus Hero X (PCI3) on a 165hz 1440P monitor. My secondary PC is a 3700x with a x570 board on a 1080/120 | 4K/60hz TV. Both are getting a 3080 upgrade from a 2070S/1070. I’m just wondering what performance difference there will be between them with a PCI Generation difference. If it’s big enough to warrant a change my Daughter may be inheriting my main PC soon.

Not to attack you, but why would I spend 700 moneys on a used 2080TI when I can buy a brand new 3070, with warranty, that has more power than the 2080TI, for 500? Makes absolutely no sense. I'm afraid original 2080TI buyers got terribly screwed by nvidia's pricing, both at the time of buying and of selling it on. RIP

Nah I’ll get £500ish for it no problem. there will be stock issues on the lead up to Xmas like every other release and people will be enamoured by getting the top end last gen card. I’m not overly concerned.

Are these usually at stores for launch? I would prefer buying my 3080 from Best Buy as I have some gift cards I want to use. Never bought a card at launch before but this one is a no brainer.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons

Best looking game ever, nothing touches that. It just shows how far Nvidia is compared to the competition. And yet i see some stupid posts in here from the same people downplaying RTX and Nvidia GPU's like they are evil or some shit. And its always the same group of people, wich is getting annoying. Without Nvidia we would be stuck at mid range performances like for ages even if they are litlle expensive atleast they push the tech forward. Anyway im gonna try to get a 3090 or wait a lil longer for 3080/3080ti with more vram since i have time (waiting on ddr5 ram and new AMD cpu's).

DeaDPo0L84

Nope, no issues with that configuration as long as your PSU is good enough.

You might be a little bit CPU bottlenecked in some scenarios if you're running at 1080p or below but nothing to be overly worried about.

Since you have been quick to answer questions, I assume the i7-9700k will be fine as well if I game at 1440p?

Best looking game ever, nothing touches that. It just shows how far Nvidia is compared to the competition. And yet i see some stupid posts in here from the same people downplaying RTX and Nvidia GPU's like they are evil or some shit. And its always the same group of people, wich is getting annoying. Without Nvidia we would be stuck at mid range performances like for ages even if they are litlle expensive atleast they push the tech forward. Anyway im gonna try to get a 3090 or wait a lil longer for 3080/3080ti with more vram since i have time (waiting on ddr5 ram and new AMD cpu's).
Is this actually going to be a game? I was pretty blown away by it also

We won't know for a little while but I predict Nvidia has already killed Big Navi.

The best they're gonna be able to do is realease with more VRAM.... which Nvidia ( or AIB partners ) will easily be able to counter with a 20GB 3080.

Good luck Big Navi.

We won't know for a little while but I predict Nvidia has already killed Big Navi.

The best they're gonna be able to do is realease with more VRAM.... which Nvidia ( or AIB partners ) will easily be able to counter with a 20GB 3080.

Good luck Big Navi.
Haha yeah, Big Navi is already dead. We didn't even get to know it before it died, what a damn shame.

I hope this doesn't deteriorate into madness and anarchy.
I remember when I tried to order my 1080 Ti at launch. It will be exactly that.

I got lucky with the 1080ti. I got it in the morning on launch day. I had it before many reviewers got one.

Not sure if I'm gonna go 3080 or 3090. But if I do go 3080 I'll definitely be waiting for a 20GB version.

It's not a good idea to buy the 10GB version.

10GB of VRAM is enough for current gen. However there already are examples of games that can use more, like MSFS 2020. But it's going to be an annoying limiting factor in 2021 sometimes and often in 2022. IMO in 2022 the 3080 will still be plenty powerful, but that 10GB will have you turning down settings you really shouldn't have to.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

So I can finally stop refreshing a ton of sites right cause nobody is doing preorders and I can chill until the 17th?

GHG

Gold Member
Since you have been quick to answer questions, I assume the i7-9700k will be fine as well if I game at 1440p?

Yeh of course. The higher the resolution the less concerned you need to be about the CPU (within reason of course). But any 6 core CPU or better from the last couple of years from Intel or AMD and you're golden, especially at 1440p and above.

Madflavor

So trying to figure how compatible a 3070 would be with my CPU. I have an i5 8400. Would I have to upgrade to at least an i7?

So does the entire range require a new PSU? I'm not thrilled with that additional cost and hassle.

That said I'm intrigued. I was planning on going 3070, but may step up to the 3080 depending on what AND offers as alternatives.

Top Bottom