• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

unknown.png

Is this enough evidence to demonstrate that floating point performance does not directly translate to better gaming performance?

3080 has 3x the TF of the 2080, but is around 70% faster.
3080 has 2x the TF of the 2080 Ti, but is around 30% faster.

3070 compared to 2080 Ti ?

Last edited:

Jonsoncao

Banned
"Tensor core is 2.7x more powerful on a sparser network."

Come on Jensen...if the neural network is 2.7x sparser...you get 2.7x inference speed (minus the overhead).

Anyone with the exact number of the tensor cores in 3080? AnandTech article only talks about 16 bit float performance (https://www.anandtech.com/show/1605...re-for-gaming-starting-with-rtx-3080-rtx-3090) which is a useless stat for training a neural network (inference is okay for gaming purpose).

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Didn't catch that it's the 3080... I assumed it was the 3090.

That doesn't bode well for cooling and heat...

I went to their page and they have both set for watercooling it seems. They did this for the 2000 series as well. If you look at MSI, and EVGA's 3 fan designs they both have tons of ventilation through the backplate and in the fan shroud.

To me that means these chips run warm.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member
I went to their page and they have both set for watercooling it seems. They did this for the 2000 series as well. If you look at MSI, and EVGA's 3 fan designs they both have tons of ventilation through the backplate and in the fan shroud.

To me that means these chips run warm.

I have a second set of fans that I was going to use as intake fans in my case that are better than the fans I'm currently using as bottom intake, they just arrived too late for my build and I've been too lazy to install them.

Looks like I'll be installing them when I get my new GPU.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Actually linus is a product guy who has somewhat decent server, tech knowledge. But honestly Steve Burk, Wendel from LV1TECHS, and Igor are the smartest people on youtube when it comes to deep dives into tech.

Wendel is super smart, and honestly dumbs down stuff because he knows not many would be able to follow if he went full on wendel. Guy is super smart in Linux, and server talk.

My issue is Jay like most are product guys who try to use their "opinion" view of products that are sent to them to base their talks.

Literally go rewatch the video he was literally saying the exhuast fan was passively cooling other components, and from Jensen's slide that is not cool air,. it's heated from the fins. And that card has shit tons of transistors which no one is talking about.

Also notice their language was specific in the nvidia video, no talks of how cool it stays or how much power it pulls. The evga radiator for the AIO variants show 360mm rads. Thats fucking insane for a gpu.

Meaning these AIB'S are probably overclocked and run hot as shit. Look at how big the 3080 AIB'S are. All 3 fan design with a breathing back plate. Heat is going to be an issue.
Never heard of those others you mentioned but Linus is the biggest shill out there though would you agree? So you're saying you're cool with shills just as long as their product knowledge meets your standards?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Oh shit, had no idea the announcement was finally coming today.

I'm in for the 3080 for sure. Any idea how pre-orders are going to work? I really want to get in day 1 if I can.

Upgrading from a GTX 1080 I got at launch!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Signed up to be notified by Nvidia, but no word on when or where preorders will open?

Kenpachii

You've called them 'junk' so what do you care? Why are you even on the thread?

Yep and I'm at 3440*1440 so Cyberpunk is going to run like a dream. I'll surely be able max out at 120fps for the most part, though I wonder what penalty raytracing will incur.

Pisstake if it is, should be £600 max looking at other consumer electronics (for example phones).

To give my opinion, if you cant deal with it u can leave yourself.

Hezekiah

Banned
of course there will, TI cards use the exact same chip as the non-TI cards, only that they have all cores activated.
It's weird though because the number of teraflops will presumably be only a little higher than the 3080 but for like £1,000+. I guess the extra RAM will help those with multi-display set-ups, but I don't see how it will have the 30% performance advantage the 2080ti had over the 2080.

Rbk_3

So what do we think the FE cards will be priced at? Last time they were $200?? more than the “starting at” price?

Edit: NVm they are at the starting at price. Nice

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So 3070 or ps5 for me.
Well, I could use pcie 4.0 card since I have x570 motherboard and 2070

Malakhov

Banned
500$ u.s cheapest option, glad I bought my 1660 super two weeks ago then.

Ps5 it'll be

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Never heard of those others you mentioned but Linus is the biggest shill out there though would you agree? So you're saying you're cool with shills just as long as their product knowledge meets your standards?

No. LVL1TECHS, and Gamers Nexus are probably the better people to go to for just tech break downs that are not tied to some kind of promotion from intel. amd,nvidia. I can't stand jay because of some other things that I don't want to talk about and derail.

But was just pointing out in that instance in that video specifically talking about the exhaust fan he was full of shit and trying to save face for a product he is excited for and more than likely will be sent to him.

So gamerNexus video mentions the gpu dumping hot exhaust air into the cpu cooler vs traditionally out the back of the card. That doesn’t seem great.

TitanNut88

I think I’m going for an Asus 3080. Are the ROG versions really that much better than TUF and Dual for the price?

if I pair it with a 10700k/10900k or 3900XT, will I get sny kind of bottleneck?

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
So will a 3090 be compatible with my corsair cx750 which is not fully modular and a bit old?

Papacheeks

Banned
So will a 3090 be compatible with my corsair cx750 which is not fully modular and a bit old?

Unless you can verify that you have more than 2 8pin cables then I would say for a 3090 you want to go with a 850+ PSU from seasonic or evga thats 80 gold certified or above.

GHG

Gold Member
So gamerNexus video mentions the gpu dumping hot exhaust air into the cpu cooler vs traditionally out the back of the card. That doesn’t seem great.

Yeh I'm thinking a lot of people are going to have to reconfigure their fans to get heat under control if you go for a FE card.

Most people go for a rear exhaust setup but with these cards a rear intake might be more beneficial and then exhaust the air out the top of the case only (assuming your case also has top fan mounts).

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It is crazy that cheapest card is 500usd for now announced cards.
And that will be like 550 euro in here..... fuck

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yeh I'm thinking a lot of people are going to have to reconfigure their fans to get heat under control if you go for a FE card.

Most people go for a rear exhaust setup but with these cards a rear intake might be more beneficial and then exhaust the air out the top of the case only (assuming your case also has top fan mounts).
I foresee creative ducting solutions with leftover cardboard boxes and tape.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

519 euro on Nvidia’s own site.

Rikkori

So long as you have enough 8 pins, yes. If it's one of the CX750M tho, I'd be cautious, I don't think it handles ripples very well. Not gonna blow up or anything, but will probably shut-down if there's an egregious power spike.

Wait for 3060. Good chance it's $299-$349. The console killer. ;)

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

Why would rear intake make more sense?
Rear atmosphere exhaust cards are actually alot more rare these days.

The cards we had lastgen almost all recirculated air back into the case and up into your CPU cooler, which why people with AIOs had to bite the bullet and decide which component they didnt mind running slightly hotter.
Either your radiator was on the front so your GPU was slightly hotter, or the radiator was on the top meaning your CPU was slightly hotter.

We are still blowing hot GPU air upwards into the case just alot faster.
If you have an oversized CPU cooler you might be in luck as the hot GPU air will rush past and not into the cooler.
People with regular sized coolers are likely gonna have hotter CPUs going forward with this cooler design.

Last edited:

GlockSaint

Why such limited ram on the 3080 is this some dumb marketing ploy to trick you into buying the 3090 i mean it's literally 2.5 times the ram ffs. 700$ sounds great though, it'll probably be 1000$+ in my country unfortunately.

Papacheeks

Banned
Why would rear intake make more sense?
Rear atmosphere exhaust cards are actually alot more rare these days.

The cards we had lastgen almost all recirculated air back into the case and up into your CPU cooler, which why people with AIOs had to bite the bullet and decide which component they didnt mind running slightly hotter.
Either your radiator was on the front so your GPU was slightly hotter, or the radiator was on the top meaning your CPU was slightly hotter.

We are still blowing hot GPU air upwards into the case just alot faster.
If you have an oversized CPU cooler you might be in luck as the hot GPU air will rush past and not into the cooler.
People with regular sized coolers are likely gonna have hotter CPUs going forward with this cooler design.

Which no one but a couple of us are talking about. Shows that NVIDIA's PR talk and slides worked on the masses. Look at Jayz2cents video, it's literally hard to watch when he gets to the exhaust fan.

Top Bottom