• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

Pagusas

Elden Member
The nvidia marketing juggernaught is genius. Whack up GPU prices to such an absurd degree that when they announce a new mid tier GPU with a paltry 8gigs of GDDR in 2020 for $500 people think they're getting a deal. $500-600 used to be the normal price for the highest end Ultra and GX2 series of cards.

$500 - $600 hasnt been the high end price for 3 generations now. (the 9xx days).

johntown

Banned
While I am very tempted to get the 3090 and tbh the price is not as bad as I was expecting. I will wait for 3080ti/3090ti or whatever the next lineup is. I have been very happy with my 1080ti and these cards seem like a worthy jump.

BelovedElegantGreatdane.webp

Wow, awesome performance. Hard to get excited though, the prices will surely be insane in Sweden with the added tax. I mean, the RTX 2070 Super costs about $700 here (€580)

Papacheeks

Banned
Wow. Jay is literally full of shit when he's talking about cooling other components through the exhaust fan.

It's literally pulling air through the heat fins, which will then become warm as it passes through. It's not going to cool shit and it going to get sucked because of it's length into your cpu. Not to mention added heat by close by components, like NVME drives which are passively cooled.

DonMigs85

Since I'm on just a 1080p 144Hz monitor and still rocking an RX 570, I think I'll go for the 3070. It seems 8GB is gonna be the standard VRAM amount for years to come.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Wow. Jay is literally full of shit when he's talking about cooling other components through the exhaust fan.

It's literally pulling air through the heat fins, which will then become warm as it passes through. It's not going to cool shit and it going to get sucked because of it's length into your cpu. Not to mention added heat by close by components, like NVME drives which are passively cooled.
Damn. What's your beef with Jay? Would you prefer Linus?

squallheart

I know you don't...you leave a laughing face emoji on every PlayStation post I make. Are you the thread rep?

I am always stuck with Sony. I've actually been building a new pc since may and just buying parts as they go on sale. All i need is a processor which will be amd just deciding which one and a good price.. I always go with amd on graphics card but now im torn with this announcement. I was hoping amd would release a good graphics cars this year.

Papacheeks

Banned
Damn. What's your beef with Jay? Would you prefer Linus?

Actually linus is a product guy who has somewhat decent server, tech knowledge. But honestly Steve Burk, Wendel from LV1TECHS, and Igor are the smartest people on youtube when it comes to deep dives into tech.

Wendel is super smart, and honestly dumbs down stuff because he knows not many would be able to follow if he went full on wendel. Guy is super smart in Linux, and server talk.

My issue is Jay like most are product guys who try to use their "opinion" view of products that are sent to them to base their talks.

Literally go rewatch the video he was literally saying the exhuast fan was passively cooling other components, and from Jensen's slide that is not cool air,. it's heated from the fins. And that card has shit tons of transistors which no one is talking about.

Also notice their language was specific in the nvidia video, no talks of how cool it stays or how much power it pulls. The evga radiator for the AIO variants show 360mm rads. Thats fucking insane for a gpu.

Meaning these AIB'S are probably overclocked and run hot as shit. Look at how big the 3080 AIB'S are. All 3 fan design with a breathing back plate. Heat is going to be an issue.

Goncas2

Ampere has essentially doubled the number of Cuda cores per SM, dramatically increasing the TeraFlops number.
But in the process, also dramatically decrease the "FPS per TeraFlop" or "TeraFlop efficiency".
While the RTX3080 has almost triple the Teraflops of the RTX2080, it is only about 80% faster.

This means Ampere Tflop <<< RDNA or Turing Tflop

DeaDPo0L84

The event and price/performance reveal was absolutely amazing and surpassed my expectations. But then excitement all came crashing down realizing I will have to fend with bots on the 17th in hopes of grabbing a 3080. Was ready to preorder two of the 3080 gpus today but seems no company is doing them.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
What's less than impressive is the power consumption.

RTX 2080 FE Graphics Card Power was 225W
RTX 3080 FE Graphics Card Power is a whopping 320w +95w !

No surprise they had to improve the cooling.

Basically the extra performance has come thanks to increased power consumption and not only the Samsung 8nm process.

I don't think Nvidia had any choice to increase power consumption significantly otherwise these 30xx card would have looked less than impressive.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member
Jay is a shill.

Also this is not a good sign of how cool these will be:

Good luck to people already using AIO for cpu.

Wait for reviews.

360mm rad for a GPU? Surely that's just overkill for overclocking headroom?

I could easily do it in my case even with a CPU AIO but it just seems excessive IMO. That card will cost $2000.

Hydroxy

Although i cannot afford any of these graphics cards, i am happy that we got a good generational leap in performance.

Godfavor

Ampere has essentially doubled the number of Cuda cores per SM, dramatically increasing the TeraFlops number.
But in the process, also dramatically decrease the "FPS per TeraFlop" or "TeraFlop efficiency".
While the RTX3080 has almost triple the Teraflops of the RTX2080, it is only about 80% faster.

It seems it performs around 18-20TF of Turing flops. And the PSU requirements are worrisome. I have expected better power consumption due to 8nm.
RT though is great

unknown.png

Is this enough evidence to demonstrate that floating point performance does not directly translate to better gaming performance?

3080 has 3x the TF of the 2080, but is around 70% faster.
3080 has 2x the TF of the 2080 Ti, but is around 30% faster.

More FLOPS is not more betterer.
Ampere's poor scheduler must be crying trying to handle all of those Vector Units. No wonder they had to make up a brand new memory standard to feed this beast.

psorcerer

Banned

That's because these are "marketing FLOPs"
Just divide them by 2 because that's how they made them up: 2x IPC = 2x TF
And suddenly it starts to make sense: 15TF 3080 = 10TF 2080 + 75%
I.e. Ampere TF are more effiecient, but to make them look bigger they were multiplied.

damn expensive cards, funny how NVIDIAS over priced cards have become a norm so people think that this 500€/$ card is a good deal lols. 3090 should be max 800€ card and 3070 should be 200-300€, now they are just way too expensive for masses -> minority buys them -> games are developed for 2-10 TFLop cards in mind

Rikkori

I have 3 thoughts about the 3080:

1. It's fucking incredible and I'm 100% buying one.
2. 10 GB fucking SUCKS!
3. There will 100% be a refresh within the year and likely a 3080 Ti and the like, so better keep my eye on the rumour mill to sell-upgrade. :D

At the end of the day, all the tech is meaningless without games, but Nvidia knows just how to deliver the selling blow. Cyberpunk 2077 was all I needed to see. SOLD!

50295429636_7c6d1ce796_o.png

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
360mm rad for a GPU? Surely that's just overkill for overclocking headroom?

I could easily do it in my case even with a CPU AIO but it just seems excessive IMO. That card will cost $2000.

How will it when it's a 3080 variant from EVGA?

GHG

Gold Member
damn expensive cards, funny how NVIDIAS over priced cards have become a norm so people think that this 500€/$ card is a good deal lols. 3090 should be max 800€ card and 3070 should be 200-300€, now they are just way too expensive for masses -> minority buys them -> games are developed for 2-10 TFLop cards in mind

Why should these cards be priced what you say? What are you basing that on?

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
I have 3 thoughts about the 3080:

1. It's fucking incredible and I'm 100% buying one.
2. 10 GB fucking SUCKS!
3. There will 100% be a refresh within the year and likely a 3080 Ti and the like, so better keep my eye on the rumour mill to sell-upgrade. :D

At the end of the day, all the tech is meaningless without games, but Nvidia knows just how to deliver the selling blow. Cyberpunk 2077 was all I needed to see. SOLD!

50295429636_7c6d1ce796_o.png

People think they're saving the 3080ti version for when AMD drops Navi 2

Ascend

Something's up. nVidia never reduces prices like this. Either they are expecting a bomb from AMD and are keeping their own prices in check, or, something is up with their cards.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
  • Thoughtful
Top Bottom