• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NX Gamer] PS5 Pro Revealed - Price, Technology, Specs and Potential

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

With the PS5 Pro finally breaking cover, I sat down and watched Mark Cerny describe the console, power and technology inside. Many thought it was not real, it was, it was real....Real expensive. I delve into the details, examples and what we can and cannot expect. Is this a Pro worth a second job for?

Spider-Man Smile GIF by PlayStation

Last edited:
I kinda hope you're joking but I fear you are not
Sharpness in motion is the most important thing to me and the main purpose of higher framerates. If you get less sharp stuff in motion, then what's the point? Because you are not getting lower input lag on XSX (as the framerate is same or lower on PS5). John from DF already talked about that years ago about him favoring 60fps vs forced LFC on a 120fps container and now I get what he was talking about.

tommib

Gold Member
I'm fine with the price. Fuck it. I'm a sucker and I'll gladly get ripped off for a cleaner image and some extra frames.

I'm interested to see if this makes the PS5 version of Elden Ring the definitive version.
Of course it will. The quality mode will be locked at 60 and performance will be beyond locked. I’m interested to see how the quality+ray tracing mode on PS5 performs. It’s currently averaging 30 with many drops. Curious on that one.

Bania Gold

Neo Member
Wonder why that would be...
Because John keeps saying a Pro is not needed, he also calls the Portal terrible.

Alex seems anti PlayStation as well.

Rich is really likeable and unbiased but he shouldn't be surprised for not getting an early look at this.

Reactions: Isa

Eszti

Banned
Because John keeps saying a Pro is not needed, he also calls the Portal terrible.

Alex seems anti PlayStation as well.

Rich is really likeable and unbiased but he shouldn't be surprised for not getting an early look at this.
John? no wonder you dont need much power for games like he plays and if its needed he has his 4090 Pc.

alex doesnt cares about consoles he is simply a high end pc gamer, none of them gives a crap about consoles why would they? an rtx 4090 gives you the gpu power of a Ps6 since almost 2 years already and that thing is still 4 years away for console gamers.

rich is a high end pc gamer too but interested in the whole technical side of things.

i dont like their growing unprofessionalism

iamvin22

Industry Verified
This console will benefit Xbox as well. Now Xbox would be dumb not to drop the parody rule because you want the X to be as close as they can get to the pro. Dumping the rule will allow devs to launch games on time. This will improve Xboxes relationships with its partners and it's fans.

Launch S versions of a game at the best the developer can.

Gaelyon

Remember the com war 4 years ago about the mightiest console 12 TF king X-box vs puny barely 9 TF PS5 ? Now that Sony has won this gen again, it also has the most powerful console ever produced. And the most expansive too.
It would be wise to put a State of Play with new exclusives titles exploiting this new graphic power on display to soften the huge price hike.

Mark Cerny emailed them last year.

DF didn't understand the 3d audio, so Mark wrote email, he tried to explain it with simple language and simpler terms.
Even when Richard reads it the anger of Mark Cerny is still felt...

That's interesting so they knew Mark Cerny listens to the show and they still decided to bash the pro for over a year until recently changing their tune nevermind they probably won't score an interview

akira__

Banned
That's interesting so they knew Mark Cerny listens to the show and they still decided to bash the pro for over a year until recently changing their tune nevermind they probably won't score an interview

DF will now become super critical of upscaling and frame generation.

And This comment explores what is playing currently.

Last edited:

kevboard

Sharpness in motion is the most important thing to me and the main purpose of higher framerates. If you get less sharp stuff in motion, then what's the point? Because you are not getting lower input lag on XSX (as the framerate is same or lower on PS5). John from DF already talked about that years ago about him favoring 60fps vs forced LFC on a 120fps container and now I get what he was talking about.

first of all you are lowering the input lag, running a modern TV at 120hz can mean the difference between 9.x milliseconds and 5.x milliseconds of display latency alone.
secondly, the added "blur" is absolutely minimal and is absolutely preferable to the literally CONSTANT stutter you get running at 60hz or playing it on PS5.

the only 2 good console versions in my eyes are the Series X and PS4 version played on PS5. the PS5 version is constantly dropping below 48fps and with that below the VRR window.

I'm sure they'll do an interview with DF it's weird that only cnet was invited though
I mentioned in another thread before the presentation that they’d be doing something more simplified after they received criticism for The Road To PS5 Talk being too technical, however it seems they swing completely on the side of over-simplifying it, and then there was as you have mentioned a complete lack of communication with gaming centric outlets like Digital Foundry which I think was a mistake. I think they’re trying to give it too much mainstream appeal, and they didn’t even bother to target the enthusiasts even though that’s their bloody target for this console.

What they should have done was a public briefing with the media outlets, and journalists including DF. Then they should have had a large demo booth set up after where they get to experience all the games first hand, it seems this was only reserved for CNET… not sure why.

They could also let Cerny do a Q&A with all the different journalists there, and answer a lot of the questions, especially surrounding in-depth technical information.

Oh well.

akira__

Banned
Just listening to their podcast on the PS5 pro now, It seems a lot more level headed so far. I'll report back at the end.
They've been bullish on having mid gen refresh at the start of the generation.

And have been bearish on even the need for mid gen refresh during the middle of the generation.

Especially Alex has been very outspoken.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
They've been bullish on having mid gen refresh at the start of the generation.

And have been bearish on even the need for mid gen refresh during the middle of the generation.

Especially Alex had been very outspoken.

If this is what a mid gen console looks like and costs, I think they were right all along. Fuck a mid gen console. Deliver a good console to begin with and then provide a true next gen jump.

What happened to narrow and fast Mr Cerny. All these next gen games seem to be suffering for it, so he went wide.

Sony keep pissing on their fan base and the fans lap it up.

30FPS is now officially CHOPPY from the lead architect, after years of saying 30 FPS is cinematic and perfect for Sony games.

Last edited:

BigLee74

This is probably the worst video I've ever seen from this Sony shill. Pure copium and begging Sony for that free PS5 Pro like he got with the full PS5 set up.

I wouldn't trust this guy on anything Sony related. It's literally like a sales pitch.
Agreed. The guy is as biased towards the PS as DF are to the Xbox.

Brothers from another mother.

akira__

Banned
If this is what a mid gen console looks like and costs, I think they were right all along. Fuck a mid gen console. Deliver a good console to begin with and then provide a true next gen jump.
So are you against xbox series x? I'm confused now. MS said xbox series x is their midgen refresh.

Sony keep pissing on their fan base and the fans lap it up.
Where are these fans that are positive? Do they have stickers?

NxhhwzV.jpeg

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/i-believe-in-phil-spencer.1197057/post-198320322

Three

I kinda hope you're joking but I fear you are not
No he's right:

The only benefit that DF made a big deal of was VRR to compensate for the lower fps on XSX but the PS5 has that now too so the retreat for most was LFC. The problem with LFC though is that you start to get blurring with the Backlight Strobing/BFI disabled for VRR.

tommib

Gold Member
Has a disk drive and is a limited edition console. You can regularly get a Xbox series X for 400 pounds / 400 Dollars vs 829 pounds for the comparable PS5 pro with a stand and disk drive.
Why would I get a Series X that underperforms against a standard PS5 when I have a PS5 that will now be replaced by a beast that will be running Microsoft Studios games (much) better than Series consoles.

This is such a win it’s even unimaginable. I don’t think prices, baby. I’m loaded. This is for the rich boys that will be playing the next Housemarque joint at its best, while avoiding the nightmare of the malware known as Windows.

Best day of my life!

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Why would I get a Series X that underperforms against a standard PS5 when I have a PS5 that will now be replaced by a beast that will be running Microsoft Studios games (much) better than Series consoles.

This is such a win it’s even unimaginable. I don’t think prices, baby. I’m loaded. This is for the rich boys that will be playing the next Housemarque joint at its best, while avoiding the nightmare of the malware known as Windows.

Best day of my life!

Hey, I'm happy you're rich and happy to pay for this. I'm not telling you how to spend your money but I can promise you this console is an absolute rip off.

I just play Xbox games on PC. If you can't stand windows all the power to you. I guess you pay a premium for a mediocre upgrade to avoid windows. Sony will be very happy.

I still love you and your love for Returnal.

Last edited:

akira__

Banned
No he's right:

The only benefit that DF made a big deal of was VRR to compensate for the lower fps on XSX but the PS5 has that now too so the retreat for most was LFC. The problem with LFC though is that you start to get blurring with the Backlight Strobing/BFI disabled for VRR.

Remember back in 360 era, certain posters kept saying "development platform" console. That narrative died in the ps4 era.

Just wondering DenchDeckard DenchDeckard how much did you pay for the pc?

Last edited:

tommib

Gold Member
Hey, I'm happy you're rich and happy to pay for this. I'm not telling you how to spend your money but I can promise you this console is an absolute rip off.

I just play Xbox games on PC. If you can't stand windows all the power to you. I guess you pay a premium for a mediocre upgrade to avoid windows. Sony will be very happy.

I still love you and your love for Returnal.
Everything to not touch Windows and fill Sony’s bank safe deposit boxes.

JimboJones

This is probably the worst video I've ever seen from this Sony shill. Pure copium and begging Sony for that free PS5 Pro like he got with the full PS5 set up.

I wouldn't trust this guy on anything Sony related. It's literally like a sales pitch.
Yeah, sounds like an nxgamer video lol.

Top Bottom