• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NY lawmakers propose legalizing and taxing marijuana

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Edit- Original OP said it was $50 per gram, it is $50 PER OUNCE (this is tax guys). It was a mistake on the secondary link's/info part.

Link. News is two days old, but I didn't see a thread on it. Light me up if posted.

There was a move Tuesday to legalize — and tax — marijuana use in New York.

State lawmakers want to put pot smoking on a par with drinking alcohol and let taxpayers profit, CBS 2’s Marcia Kramer reported

Just call it taking the “high” road. State lawmakers plan on introducing a bill that would legalize pot smoking and turn it into a cash cow.

Assembly Health Committee Chairman Richard Gottfried (D-Manhattan) signed onto a bill by state Sen. Liz Krueger (D-Manhattan) that would make New York the most populous state in the country to regulate and tax marijuana for general use.

“We really need to move beyond our totally broken prohibition model to a sensible tax and regulate model,” Gottfried said. “I think it’s widely recognized that marijuana is at most nowhere near as potentially harmful as alcohol and our law is dishonest.”

Gottfried said state lawmakers want to treat pot smoking just like having a drink, set an age limit, regulate it, and tax it. City Comptroller John Liu, who has studied the issue, said the economic impact from a pot tax is, well, mind-binding.

“We have close to a million people who use it on a regular basis. It’s a market of $1.65 billion here in New York City every year, so it makes sense, seeing as so many people are using it on a regular basis, to decriminalize it,” Liu said.

Liu estimates that a pot tax would generate $431 million in New York City alone:

* $69 million would go to the state and the Metropolitan Transportation Authority in the form of higher sales taxes

* The city would also save $31 million from reduced law enforcement and court costs

“There’s unfair enforcement, particularly against minorities and minority youth, and also people are using it. The medical experts say it is not as dangerous as alcohol. Marijuana does not get people into a violent state whereas, unfortunately, alcohol does,” Liu said.

Addiction experts disagree.

“Marijuana is a dangerous drug,” said Dr. Harris Stratyner of Carron Treatment Centers. “Why would we want to make a dangerous drug available to the public? Now, I know a lot of people will disagree with me and say alcohol is more dangerous. Alcohol is the most dangerous, but that doesn’t mean we should put another dangerous drug on the market.”

Supporters of the bill point out that since Mayor Michael Bloomberg took office there have been nearly 460,000 misdemeanor marijuana arrests, largely members of the black and Hispanic communities. Comptroller Liu said that minorities represent less than half the pot users in the city, but 86 percent of the arrests.

Several New Yorkers welcomed the idea, CBS 2′s Jessica Schneider reported.

“I don’t smoke marijuana myself, but people have fun with it. There are worse things in the world that we should be worrying about,” said Maurice Glover, of Harlem.

“I think it’s not as bad as liquor. It doesn’t have the affect that liquor has,” Hells Kitchen resident Cassandra Sanchez said.

Others told Schneider they want to keep it off the streets. “I’m a mother and a grandmother and I say no,” Long Island residents Gertrude Alonzo said.

Bit more info here.

The bill is called the Marijuana Regulation and Taxation Act and it would make it legal for New Yorkers to buy, sell and even grow their own pot. Lawmakers proposing the legislation are claiming that given the vast amount of resources currently being spent on people convicted of marijuana related crimes, the state can save millions of dollars each year and can make hundreds of millions more from tax revenue. Our New York correspondent Vasili Sushko has more.

A joint effort between state and city elected officials to legalize marijuana in New York is heating up after a bill to do just that was formally proposed on Wednesday. The bill would allow anyone 21 years of age or older to possess up to two grams of marijuana, regardless if it is for medicinal purposes or recreational use. State Sen. Liz Krueger (D-NY) sponsored the bill, and hopes to not only make pot legal, but profitable as well.

Taken from here. Other link said it was per gram, it isn't, it is per ounce.

Smokers would have to be 21 to legally purchase weed, which would be slapped with a $50 excise tax per ounce. Eighteen would be the minimum age for possession. The State Liquor Authority would be in charge of granting licenses for marijuana possession, production, transportation and resale sale.

Also 18 will be the minimum for possession.

Scarecrow

How long until Washington just gives up and says it's legal everywhere? Looks like there's no stopping this train.

How can I become an enterprising magnate if I can only possess 2 grams for selling? This bill needs work, but at least these are baby steps

A little math problem with all of this. I can buy an ounce (28 grams) for $300. New York wants the tax on an ounce to be $1400. This is a problem.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
“Marijuana is a dangerous drug,” said Dr. Harris Stratyner of Carron Treatment Centers.

Legalizing it would actually make it less dangerous, but sure, keep up the 70 year old scare tactic hyperbole nonsense.

I hope it passes, even though NY is one of the few states that hasn't legalized MMA yet.

$50 for 1 gram seems very steep. How much will weed cost in Colorado and Washington when it goes on sale next month?

“I’m a mother and a grandmother and I say no,” Long Island residents Gertrude Alonzo said.

4bTJipj.jpg

Hari Seldon

I don't see how this would pass in a state that has a mayor that banned big gulps.

However I hope it does, since PA will get jealous of that high tax revenue of our neighboring state haha.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I can only assume they meant ounce instead of gram. Unless they're just passing this bill to show how badly legalization fails hah.

Yeah, it is per ounce:

Smokers would have to be 21 to legally purchase weed, which would be slapped with a $50 excise tax per ounce. Eighteen would be the minimum age for possession. The State Liquor Authority would be in charge of granting licenses for marijuana possession, production, transportation and resale sale.

Will fix the OP.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Is it happening?

Has our time come at last?

Can't believe we let Colorado beat us to it.

I hope so. We need another big state to pass it to keep the ball rolling.

I hope it passes, even though NY is one of the few states that hasn't legalized MMA yet.

$50 for 1 gram seems very steep. How much will weed cost in Colorado and Washington when it goes on sale next month?

I'm curious about this as well. Anyone know?

docbon

Addiction experts disagree.

“Marijuana is a dangerous drug,” said Dr. Harris Stratyner of Carron Treatment Centers. “Why would we want to make a dangerous drug available to the public? Now, I know a lot of people will disagree with me and say alcohol is more dangerous. Alcohol is the most dangerous, but that doesn’t mean we should put another dangerous drug on the market.”

welp, can't beat that reasoning. where is your weed god now, pot smokers?

btq all up in this bitch.

It's no more harmful than alcohol, so why not?

More money for the state for legalizing something that should be legalized is a win-win situation for me.

We need another big state to pass it to keep the ball rolling.

One of the Maryland gubernatorial candidates has also backed legalization:

Mizeur to back legalized marijuana

Democratic gubernatorial candidate Heather R. Mizeur is calling for the legalization and regulation of marijuana, promising to use the tax revenue it would generate to pay for an expansion of pre-kindergarten education.
Under Mizeur's plan, only people 21 and older would be able to use marijuana legally. Possession would be limited to an ounce, and smoking marijuana in public would be prohibited. Driving while under the influence of marijuana would still be illegal. The marijuana plants would be grown in secure facilities in Maryland.

Mizeur estimated that under a legal distribution system, licensed Maryland retailers would sell between 1.75 million and 2.25 million ounces of marijuana a year. She proposed an excise tax of $50 an ounce at the wholesale level and an 8 percent tax on retail sales. She estimated that the legal marijuana trade would produce $122.5 million to $157.5 million annually, which she would funnel into a special fund for early childhood education.
Mileah Kromer, director of the Sarah T. Hughes Field Politics Center at Goucher, said Mizeur isn't so much leading public opinion as respecting it. She said it's an issue that could draw voters' attention to Mizeur, whose campaign has been polling in single digits.

Omega

Banned
Its stupid that alcohol is legal and weed isn't. It just doesn't make any sense.

I think cigarettes being legal and weed not is worse

With one, you pay to die and cause harm to others around you

With the other you just pay to get hungry, which in turn makes you spend more money which is good for the economy

Batman

Banned
Thankfully it won't happen and people at the top have already stated it will be dead on arrival. Medical marijuana is a different story, that should be available in all 50 states, but having both marijuana and alcohol legal where you can just grow your own and buy is insane.

Last thing NYC needs is more people high and drunk on the streets.

Come on america.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom