• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NY lawmakers propose legalizing and taxing marijuana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
You do realize why the US is in the financial mess it is in currently? If people stopped using drugs the US would be a much better place where people can focus on their work and having a drug free home and society.

I don't know why people have a problem with wanting to ban drugs and alcohol, nobody thinks about the children.

Dude. Just stop. Nothing you're saying is in any way intelligent. Just accept that, as a bunch of others have already said, you don't know what you're talking about. The fact that you're implying that the financial mess was possibly caused by weed makes me think that you're under 13 and should not be posting on this forum.

h1nch

I didn't know that wanting drugs off the streets is nonsense, I think most people in the world would agree with me that they want a drug free and violence free life, but maybe I underestimated the amount of people who have no problem with giving children easier access to drugs that destroy people's lives.

Your complete lack of understanding and sheer ignorance with regards to the current legal issues surrounding cannabis is mind-boggling, to be honest. I really do hope this is a troll.

hokahey

Legalized pot means less violence. It eliminates a violent black market. And no one in the history of humanity has gotten violent on weed. Paranoid and hungry? Yes. But also vibed the fuck out.

rokkerkory

If alcohol is legal which is more deadly, so should MJ. Government needs to be smart, leaving so much $ on the table in terms of taxes that could be raise to help pay for necessities such as education and law enforcement.

Vyroxis

Banned
and it'll be shit quality too once corporate assholes get their hands on it

This is the big problem. If you think big tobacco isnt chomping at the bit to get into the pot market, think again. Mass produce cheap pot, add in all the addictive chemicals, rig the system so only they can sell it, lolprofit!

I don't even smoke weed and I could still get some within the next 30 mins if the mood struck me to. Illegalization has done next to nothing to prevent distribution. That and the worst thing I've ever seen a high person do was fall asleep in the middle of a conversation.

The worse thing Ive seen a high person do is sell someone $20 worth of weed for $40. Legalization will prevent this injustice.

TxdoHawk

If that $50 isn't a typo, this will flop if it manages to actually pass. Who the hell is going to buy $50 per ounce?

A $50 tax on an ounce of medical grade weed isn't much of a markup. Plenty will happily pay for the legality, safer purchasing, lack of shady unreliable dealer bullshit, and selection of quality strains.

This is the big problem. If you think big tobacco isnt chomping at the bit to get into the pot market, think again. Mass produce cheap pot, add in all the addictive chemicals, rig the system so only they can sell it, lolprofit!
the difference between pot and tobacco is that you can easily grow pot in your backyard or even your closet. If tobacco companies are so eager to get into the business then why do they lobby against laws like prop 19?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So if I open a business you will have a problem the way I operate it legally? You are going to come in and tell me what I can and can't do with my money and my business?

Having Bloomberg as Mayor here in NYC is bad enough, having people that want a nanny state and telling other businesses how to operate is scary.

Wait, a nanny state would do things like prevent you from doing shit that one would think a nanny state actual does?

What's your problem, anyway? You do realize the dude who killed your parents wasn't high, right?

A $50 tax on an ounce of medical grade weed isn't much of a markup. Plenty will happily pay for the legality, safer purchasing, lack of shady unreliable dealer bullshit, and selection of quality strains.

I was thinking of personal use, but I see your point if it's for medical use.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
iiyVb2H3ktfn5.gif

TxdoHawk

I was thinking of personal use, but I see your point if it's for medical use.

Even for personal use, when you get into that range of quality you need much less to get stoned, at least in my experience. Trying medical grade after a decade of dubious quality dime bags and dub sacks was...eye-opening.

So yeah, while the tax plus price of that quality will knock people back, it'll still add up to a good deal compared to buying from Joe Dealer off the street.

I don't smoke so apologies for my ignorance, but how much is an ounce of marijuana anyway?

Depends entirely on quality. You can get an ounce for as cheap as $80, but only the truly desperate will want to smoke what that'll get you. Good quality from a CA dispensary usually starts around $250 to $300 an ounce, last I checked.

Edit: It should also be mentioned for those who don't know, an ounce is a lot, especially for a casual smoker. Most people won't buy that much at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom