• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NY Times: Decades of Sexual Harassment Accusations Against Harvey Weinstein

I don't know what I was expecting from him but everything about that statement was terrible. What a prick.

To think multiple people read through that and approved it.

DJMicLuv

Watching Harvey Weinstein shower is an honour as well as a test of character and resolve. Only the worthy are asked and only the mighty survive.

RDreamer

Not even surprised anymore hearing of some trashy fucking scumbag man with power. It feels like the exception to the rule if any one of them in this country isn't a piece of shit sexual harassing asshole. I'm embarrassed by those that share my gender.

I really hope people like this and all the scumbags at Fox News and everywhere else this stuff festers keep getting pulled down by this shit. I hope they all die penniless and we as a country can move forward to a place where women don't have to live with this crap.

entremet

He's paid out 8 settlements according to the article. Eight!

And that's victims who had the courage to come forward.

Scuffed

What is crazy is that I feel like I have been reading about his sexual assaults for years. I think they could have nailed him a lot sooner but better late than never I guess.

Arcteryx

Blames it on the 60s and 70s...then tries to shift attention to the NRA? What in the fuck?
This guy would be a GREAT politician.

CDX

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/05/...nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share&_r=0

In 1997, Mr. Weinstein reached a previously undisclosed settlement with Rose McGowan, then a 23-year-old-actress, after an episode in a hotel room during the Sundance Film Festival. The $100,000 settlement was “not to be construed as an admission” by Mr. Weinstein, but intended to “avoid litigation and buy peace,” according to the legal document, which was reviewed by The Times. Ms. McGowan had just appeared in the slasher film “Scream” and would later star in the television show “Charmed.” She declined to comment.
Even though she declined to comment for this NYTimes article.

Here's what she had to say in 2016

0O64sqSl.png

Aurongel

I think what makes this news now is that public movements against powerful people like this are finally seeing results after years of going ignored. Fox News for example saw huge turnover recently from similar stories which would have been ignored entirely just a decade or two ago.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I think what makes this news now is that public movements against powerful people like this are finally seeing results after years of going ignored. Fox News for example saw huge turnover recently from similar stories which would have been ignored entirely just a decade or two ago.
This is a good point.

Also, Judd putting her name to the accusation feels significant.

Goodstyle

If Jay Z is smart, he'll disavow this chump immediately. It's already too late for Bloom. If she thinks she'll have any kind of respect from anyone after this, she's out of her mind.

If Jay Z is smart, he'll disavow this chump immediately. It's already too late for Bloom. If she thinks she'll have any kind of respect from anyone after this, she's out of her mind.

She'll not only have respect but an endless supply of work from other rich, powerful creeps. And there's no shortage of those. Why would she care about respect from people like us? That won't buy her a place in the Hamptons

Goodstyle

She'll not only have respect but an endless supply of work from other rich, powerful creeps. And there's no shortage of those. Why would she care about respect from people like us? That won't buy her a place in the Hamptons

She paints her self as a social justice champion and an advocate for women everywhere. The fact that she's doing this will trash that reputation. It's like nothing she did before was authentic. Did she take on Bill O'Reilly and Cosby because she cared about the victims? Or was it all for show. I'm so disappointed.

She paints her self as a social justice champion and an advocate for women everywhere. The fact that she's doing this will trash that reputation. It's like nothing she did before was authentic.

Genuine question: how much do you think she cares? If she did she wouldn't be helping him. Both she and Weinstein are going to die rich and happy and not giving a fuck

Goodstyle

Genuine question: how much do you think she cares? If she did she wouldn't be helping him. Both she and Weinstein are going to die rich and happy and not giving a fuck

She has a history of fighting creeps just like Weinstein so I thought she cared quite a bit. Now I realize it was all just for show, anything to get publicity and money. I should have expected it, but I'm disappointed.

She has a history of fighting creeps just like Weinstein so I thought she cared quite a bit. Now I realize it was all just for show, anything to get publicity and money. I should have expected it, but I'm disappointed.

It's easy to fight injustice when it's committed by a stranger. The real test comes when it's your friends doing it. If you're not willing to deal with that with the same fervour then all your principles are worthless.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/05/...nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share&_r=0

In 1997, Mr. Weinstein reached a previously undisclosed settlement with Rose McGowan, then a 23-year-old-actress, after an episode in a hotel room during the Sundance Film Festival. The $100,000 settlement was “not to be construed as an admission” by Mr. Weinstein, but intended to “avoid litigation and buy peace,” according to the legal document, which was reviewed by The Times. Ms. McGowan had just appeared in the slasher film “Scream” and would later star in the television show “Charmed.” She declined to comment.
Even though she declined to comment for this NYTimes article.

Here's what she had to say in 2016

0O64sqSl.png
Hasn't she worked with Harvey after '97? Maybe her post is about another executive? I hope every single abusive exec gets outed.

ZeoVGM

Banned
His statement is absolutely bizarre. It's rambling, strange and almost reads like a parody.

The world sure has issues.

Fixed that for you.

This isn't a "Hollywood" thing. This is an "every single industry thing." It's about people in power, not the specific industry they represent.

NY Times said:
Two decades ago, the Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein invited Ashley Judd to the Peninsula Beverly Hills hotel for what the young actress expected to be a business breakfast meeting. Instead, he had her sent up to his room, where he appeared in a bathrobe and asked if he could give her a massage or she could watch him shower, she recalled in an interview.

Wut.

What is crazy is that I feel like I have been reading about his sexual assaults for years. I think they could have nailed him a lot sooner but better late than never I guess.

You have. People feel they have the support now to go on the record about it. These men hold all the power in their industry and they can lose a lot by being open about what they went through. Brave of them.

A lot of people were waiting for this shoe to finally drop.

Kind of weird he would try this with Ashley Judd. She might have been a nobody, but her mother and sister were showbiz stars long before she started acting. Probably just goes to show how ingrained this culture is in Hollywood, and how safe he felt doing it.

Kind of weird he would try this with Ashley Judd. She might have been a nobody, but her mother and sister were showbiz stars long before she started acting. Probably just goes to show how ingrained this culture is in Hollywood, and how safe he felt doing it.

Even with her famous connections, she never shared this story in public until like a year or two ago, and didn't actually name him as the perpetrator until today. For all intents and purposes, he got away with it. I'm sure there's more than a few people with Hollywood lineage who still have similar stores.

Kill3r7

That does not matter. Harvey is one of the most powerful people in Hollywood. Individuals like him are star makers. Being from a famous family does not shield you from such folks.

Dice//

Banned
I'm not sure what''s worse (well, I do, but...) that this is real or that few people are surprised.

Tovarisc

Harvey Weinstein's Lawyer Gave $10,000 To Manhattan DA After He Declined To File Sexual Assault Charges

Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein’s lawyer delivered $10,000 to Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance, Jr. in 2015, in the months after Vance’s office decided not to prosecute Weinstein over sexual assault allegations, according to an International Business Times review of campaign finance documents. That contribution from attorney David Boies — who previously headlined a fundraiser for Vance — was a fraction of the $116,000 that Boies, his son and his law partner have delivered to the Democrat during his political career.

Boies has done legal work for Weinstein since at least 2005, and his website at his law firm says his clients include The Weinstein Company.

“David Boies did not represent Harvey Weinstein in 2015 during the criminal investigation,” Joan Vollero, communications director for Vance, told IBT in an email when asked about Boies’ campaign contributions.

Edward Evans, a spokesperson for the law firm Boies Schiller Flexner, said in an emailed statement: “David Boies has been a supporter of the District Attorney since long before 2015, including before he was first elected, and has never spoken to him about Harvey Weinstein.”

The revelations about the dropped Weinstein investigation come on the heels of a recent report documenting how Vance declined to prosecute Ivanka Trump and Donald Trump, Jr. after Trump’s attorney Marc Kasowitz gave Vance’s campaign $25,000. According to ProPublica, Kasowitz made the donation, then met with Vance directly and then Vance dropped the case, overruling his own prosecutors. In an email to IBT, Vance's campaign manager Steve Sigmund said that just before Kasowitz met with Vance about the case, Vance's campaign returned the $25,000 donation -- but Kasowitz subsequently made an even larger donation to Vance after the district attorney decided not to prosecute the Trumps.
http://www.ibtimes.com/political-ca...00-manhattan-da-after-he-declined-file-sexual

gdt

Boom there it is.

I can’t believe he made that jokey statement yesterday with this coming down the pipe. Shits about to get raw but he’ll survive. Even if he loses all the clout he’ll still have his money and invest quietly in movies as a silent partner. Ain’t shit gonna happen to him.

But it’s amazing the sources NYT is pulling. Brace women. Good for them.

Even with her famous connections, she never shared this story in public until like a year or two ago, and didn't actually name him as the perpetrator until today. For all intents and purposes, he got away with it. I'm sure there's more than a few people with Hollywood lineage who still have similar stores.

Unfortunately this sort of "late story response", is all too common in Hollywood.

Boom there it is.

I can't believe he made that jokey statement yesterday with this coming down the pipe. Shits about to get raw but he'll survive. Even if he loses all the clout he'll still have his money and invest quietly in movies as a silent partner. Ain't shit gonna happen to him.

But it's amazing the sources NYT is pulling. Brace women. Good for them.

I was actually surprised at first that Rose McGowan went the "no comment" route, but then I realized the fact that she settled a lawsuit might mean that she can't actually say anything.

Unfortunately this sort of "late story response", is all too common in Hollywood.

Yeah, you'll hear a lot of famous actresses tell stories about the shady shit that happened to them before they were famous and then decline to actually name names.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Frankly I'd say it's safe to assume most people with authority in Hollywood are serial sexual harassers. It's an industry that is so repulsively exploitative that it becomes a breeding ground for this kind of behavior.

There are so many people who hint that this shit is literally a fucking norm but can't risk coming forward to explicitly name someone.

Top Bottom