• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

So I am considering moving to New York City next year.

I just have a few questions

• Is the city that expensive to live in? Or does it just depend on where in it you live?
  • How's crime in the city? I've heard its much lower than most other cities in the country?
  • Where would be the best place to live in for a singe twenty-something year old who makes a middle class wage?
  • Does the city live up to the hype?
  • Is the liberal mayor actually fighting against cost of living expenses or is it just lipservice?
:

-depends where you live
-depends where you live
-depends on what your crowd is
-yes and then some
-depends on who you are

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

• Is the city that expensive to live in? Or does it just depend on where in it you live?
  • How's crime in the city? I've heard its much lower than most other cities in the country?
  • Where would be the best place to live in for a singe twenty-something year old who makes a middle class wage?
  • Is the liberal mayor actually fighting against cost of living expenses or is it just lipservice?
:

It's a really expensive city and your money goes so much further nearly anywhere else. Once you accept that, almost anyone can make it work - it's not like the 9m people here all make six figures. Get a roommate and live somewhere reasonable like Queens or the non-insane parts of Brooklyn. Crime isn't really an issue, at least not more than it is in any major city. Use your brain and crime won't be a concern. It's not 1975 NYC. As for living up to the hype, the city can offer such vastly different experiences for people that it's impossible to say.

Jhoan

Lulubop said:
I used to hang out at Fat Cat a bit. Never a big fan. The ambiance is fucking awful

Oh damn, that's right there. I live on the FDR. Working tomorrow night though.
That's the only reason I don't like it. It's so damn hard to have a conversation there so unless you're there to play, it's not going to be a good time.

QUOTE=Pau;209896149]I never understood the appeal of this. But I find making out in public weird. :/[/QUOTE]
I understand. I feel a bit self-conscious about making out in public as well from time to time since some people cringe at PDA.
I like movie date because it takes no effort and is still a fun time even if you don't like each other.
It requires no effort because your eyes are glued to a screen for 2 hours which to me strikes me as being boring hence why I would take a bar or walking through a park any day over it. It's the same reason why Barcade and museums have never worked well for me as a first/second date idea. Maybe it's a South Carolina thing. ;)

JadedWriter said:
I'm not one of those first date kissing people, I'm a bit shy. We're most likely grabbing coffee afterwards
That's good to hear at the very least! I was afraid it would be a point A to point B thing and that's it. Make sure you show you her you mad photography skillz with your phone and get your inner tourist on!

I'm going to go see that new Ghostbusters movie tomorrow funny enough. One of my good friends is going go down to Bryant Park to play Pokemon Go to try catch some pokeymans and is buying me a ticket to go see it with him since it's his pay day so I can't say no to that. I have 0 expectations going into it. Last movie I saw in theatres was Triple 9 for free and it was pretty forgettable.

• Where would be the best place to live in for a single twenty-something year old who makes a middle class wage?
:
1. Depends on where you live and how many roommates. You can be playing 800 bucks living with 3 roommates or more.
2. Definitely Queens and Brooklyn and preferably in areas that not gentrifying at a rapid pace e.g. Crown Heights and parts of Bushwick. Use your best judgement. Ideally you want to have 30% your income go to rent.
3. I was born and raised here and have a different experience so the short answer is I don't know. To me, it's home and there's plenty to do. You have to experience it yourself to see if it lives up to your expectations. If you've lived in other major cities, chances are you'll adjust well but some people who move here from other states end up getting burned hard by it.
4. My 2 cents are that he's trying his best because whenever new buildings get developed, he pushes for developers to include affordable housing units for lower income families and the city just extended the rent control freeze for another year. It also comes down to the people who represent one's neighborhood in local/state/national politics to push for the needs of their constituents.

However, there's so much red tape and bureaucracy that gets in the way. Short answer: developers have loads of money and do whatever they want; Long answer: The Mayor/City Council is prepared to do whatever they can to make sure that it's still fair. We don't have a liberal governor to match the liberal mayor at the moment until the next election cycle so they continue to butt heads except when it comes to supporting the presidential candidate that they both worked for.

Speaking of places closing there's a family owned pizzeria on 84th and Lex that's closing down after being there for decades. Forgot the name of it but they might try to move it elsewhere. Also New York Art Central is closing down in September because the owner sold the building and business declined over the years. They've been in business for three generations! I'll definitely be stopping by to take advantage of their liquidation sale because art supplies can be damn expensive!

It's a really expensive city and your money goes so much further nearly anywhere else. Once you accept that, almost anyone can make it work - it's not like the 9m people here all make six figures. Get a roommate and live somewhere reasonable like Queens or the non-insane parts of Brooklyn. Crime isn't really an issue, at least not more than it is in any major city. Use your brain and crime won't be a concern. It's not 1975 NYC. As for living up to the hype, the city can offer such vastly different experiences for people that it's impossible to say.

roommates make the insane parts of brooklyn fine.

That's good to hear at the very least! I was afraid it would be a point A to point B thing and that's it. Make sure you show you her you mad photography skillz with your phone and get your inner tourist on!

I'm going to go see that new Ghostbusters movie tomorrow funny enough. One of my good friends is going go down to Bryant Park to play Pokemon Go to try catch some pokeymans and is buying me a ticket to go see it with him since it's his pay day so I can't say no to that. I have 0 expectations going into it. Last movie I saw in theatres was Triple 9 for free and it was pretty forgettable.
I have a legit camera that I keep in a big ass bag, that's heavy with gear. I don't think I want to bring that on a date. My phone camera is so busted though. Not really good for anything. She's seen some of my pictures. She really liked the stuff from the LGBT Pride Parade.

Nuu

Banned
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm planning on saving a fuckton of money in a year's time span and moving out there. Already got $3,000, and planning on having almost $10,000 when all is said and done.

I'm picking between New York City and Brazil in terms of where I want to move to. But I'm a bit worried about Brazil's political and economic state right now.

I realize that pay is obviously different their too. If I transferred a ~$35,000 wage from your average American state to whatever that would be for a similar position in New York City, would I be able to afford a studio apartment?

2. Definitely Queens and Brooklyn and preferably in areas that not gentrifying at a rapid pace e.g. Crown Heights and parts of Bushwick. Use your best judgement. Ideally you want to have 30% your income go to rent.

So I SHOULD be looking into Queen or Brooklyn?

Jhoan

So I SHOULD be looking into Queen or Brooklyn?
Both since Manhattan is expensive. You gotta factor in the area, cost of living, ethnic make up of the neighborhood etc. Do you want to diversity? Look for places in Queens. Do you want to be near Prospect Park, then go for Brooklyn. Whatever is within your budget. I can't decide that for you. I'm in Northern Manhattan for reference but live with family.

So I'm on a motha-effin boat. Here's some pics of the band playing. They're called Kung-Fu, a funk/Rock fusion band. It sounds good:

b7MRJBc.jpg

Ooyh6Sx.jpg

QMPubL8.jpg

Pau

I realize that pay is obviously different their too. If I transferred a ~$35,000 wage from your average American state to whatever that would be for a similar position in New York City, would I be able to afford a studio apartment?
Most places I've seen want your income to be 40x the rent. Not sure how doable finding a $800 studio is though since I've never looked for studios.

Makai

Definitely in the Bronx, Staten island, or Long Island.

Penguin

So just trying to see if anyone is going to this Whiskey thingie tomorrow or whatever?

And wants to join Gazele and I in the city... probably late night.

Jhoan

So just trying to see if anyone is going to this Whiskey thingie tomorrow or whatever?

And wants to join Gazele and I in the city... probably late night.
I'm still down. My mom has been driving me nuts after returning from her surgery yesterday so I'll be eager to get away for a while. Although the thought of drinking whiskey straight still makes me feel a bit disgusted.

Nuu

Banned
How much money would you guys sayI would need to save up to live in say Brooklyn or Queensfor two or three months, with roommates?

How much money would you guys sayI would need to save up to live in say Brooklyn or Queensfor two or three months, with roommates?
Depends on the area and how much you need to replace when you move. If you can bring a bed, tv, flatware and whatever other basic shit you can think of bring it. Maybe 5K. Somebody else on here might know better than me. If you're moving for a job and need to wait some time to be moved onto the payroll, then up it to maybe 12K life is expensive.

Nuu

Banned
Depends on the area and how much you need to replace when you move. If you can bring a bed, tv, flatware and whatever other basic shit you can think of bring it. Maybe 5K. Somebody else on here might know better than me. If you're moving for a job and need to wait some time to be moved onto the payroll, then up it to maybe 12K life is expensive.
For reference my plan is to move into a nonpricey room with roommates and sign up for a temp agency. After I get a job I will theb move somewhere else in the city, unless I enjoy the first place I go to.

For reference my plan is to move into a nonpricey room with roommates and sign up for a temp agency. After I get a job I will theb move somewhere else in the city, unless I enjoy the first place I go to.
I hope they find you regular work then. Non pricey can be a bit tricky, really just depends on where you go. Just warning you now...some parts of Brooklyn are noisy.

Jhoan

What's the sitrep on the Brooklyn whiskey and gin thing? I'm about to get ready to go hit the gym in a few minutes. Will leave my phone charging so won't be able to check GAF.

Penguin

What's the sitrep on the Brooklyn whiskey and gin thing? I'm about to get ready to go hit the gym in a few minutes. Will leave my phone charging so won't be able to check GAF.

I'll probably aim to be there like 3:30 or so
Hopefully Pokemon Go servers play nice since have some eggs to hatch!

Jhoan

Still home. If I were to leave to Brooklyn now, I'd be there by around 4ish. Might just head down to Midtown and wait around there. Downside is that I might get hungry at some point. I was gonna go and chill at the Marriott hotel food court while I charge my phone. Penguin, are you planning on meeting Gazelle at?

EDIT: Gonna head down in just a few mins. Will go to Jay St then figure things out from there. Hopefully you guys are still around the area then.

Jhoan

Oh no, now I'm starting to feel the breeze before the rain starts. The bus is just arriving. ETA 1 hour. Wish I had a water bottle since I'm probably gonna die of thirst.

Jhoan

If that's the case, I'll hop on the train in a few minutes since I've been on 168th trying to think about to do. Looking to keep it cheap.

I'm probably going to get off at Columbus Circle and go to the aforementioned hotel until folks start coming out

Jhoan

Date was my usual first date experience and wants to be friends, thus is life.
At least you have a reason to come out now. The girl I went to see Manhattanhenge on Tuesday told me the same thing on Tuesday but I wasn't Interested in being a tour guide so I deleted her number. On to the next one man.

I'm walking down to the hotel now. Will be waiting there. Take the elevator to 4F.

EDIT: Pic of where I'm sitting at:

At least you have a reason to come out now. The girl I went to see Manhattanhenge on Tuesday told me the same thing on Tuesday but I wasn't Interested in being a tour guide so I deleted her number. On to the next one man.

I'm walking down to the hotel now. Will be waiting there. Take the elevator to 4F.

EDIT: Pic of where I'm sitting at:
She also lied about her height. Way too tall to be 5'4.

Top Bottom