• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Hahaha, so guys aren't the only ones who lie about their height eh? That's funny. It's all in the pics because after all, a picture is worth a thousand words.
There was nothing in the pictures to give me a frame of reference regarding height. Either close ups or one sitting down pic. Oh yeah she graduated from Columbia. What the fuck is up with their female alumna?

Makai

Meetup location? I nominate Pedro's in Dumbo. All beers are $5 and it's like 100 feet from the York St station. Most of us live in Brooklyn, right?

Jhoan

Meetup location? I nominate Pedro's in Dumbo. All beers are $5 and it's like 100 feet from the York St station. Most of us live in Brooklyn, right?
Penguin lives in Brooklyn and Lulubop is down in the LES but Gazelle is in Midtown which where I'm currently waiting for a party to gather (see the above pic) as I'm at the Marriott Courtyard. There's a bar here as well as food. I'm the one who would have to make the long trek back home. Doesn't sound like a bad otherwise.

Penguin

Yeah I'm going to meet Gazele in Midtown at 9

We could trek back to Brooklyn and be there like 10 or so... probably take an uber... I've done enough training today.

Or whatever

Wanted to hit up Union Square area.. to see one of those PokeGo gatherings...

Jhoan

Yeah I'm going to meet Gazele in Midtown at 9

We could trek back to Brooklyn and be there like 10 or so... probably take an uber... I've done enough training today.

Or whatever

Wanted to hit up Union Square area.. to see one of those PokeGo gatherings...
I'll be here. Say the word on when to get moving or where to converge. It's been pretty chill working on some drawings and charging my phone. Valhalla is down 2 avenues from me as another idea but wings aren't 50 cents until after midnight.

Penguin

I'll be here. Say the word on when to get moving or where to converge. It's been pretty chill working on some drawings and charging my phone. Valhalla is down 2 avenues from me as another idea but wings aren't 50 cents until after midnight.

I believe his bus comes in on 27th and 7th so probably walk down the opp direction since not much going towards MSG and the lot... okay I just don't wanna be around work area on my weekend!

Jhoan

I believe his bus comes in on 27th and 7th so probably walk down the opp direction since not much going towards MSG and the lot... okay I just don't wanna be around work area on my weekend!
So go down to Union Square then? If that's the case, I'll head out around 8ish.

Jhoan

Yeah if we wanna head to Brooklyn after we can... also need to make sure we get him some quality pizza.
All these people eating around me is making me hungry funny enough. I'm damn near tempted to order something from here but the food is slightly overpriced and there's cheaper options around the area e.g. dollar pizza around the corner from here so will hold off.

EDIT: Will meet you on 27th and 7th then.

Penguin

I'm actually going out of town this weekend (well for the week) so no can do, but we should have an official... lead time meet-up sometime in August

Jhoan

Actually not going out of town this weekend, anyone of you brehs meeting for dranks?
I personally don't have anything planned at the moment since it's the dog days of summer. I've been meaning to go to the pool and to the beach. I wouldn't mind hitting up MoMA then going to do something afterwards on Friday or The Met Saturday since I've been itching to go back to either museum.
I'm actually going out of town this weekend (well for the week) so no can do, but we should have an official... lead time meet-up sometime in August
Yeah, I think we're long overdue for one as nice as it's been doing these smaller gatherings. Definitely want to meet some new faces and something going again before NYCC. I've been thinking of a few thread subtitles lately including "We don't Pokemon Go to Central Park." Korean BBQ anyone?

Nuu

Banned
I hope they find you regular work then. Non pricey can be a bit tricky, really just depends on where you go. Just warning you now...some parts of Brooklyn are noisy.

My current apartment is only fifteen feet from the railroad tracks. I'll manage. :p

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
anyone else going to Panorama this Saturday?

let's meet up and take a bunch of molly and pretend we're 25 again

this Kendrick set is going to be something special

Jhoan

Anyone attending NYCC? I got accepted as crew. Just need to fill out the application.
Year 6 is a go. I've been working at conventions and volunteering at events for 6 years(!!!). It's amazing how far I've come along as a person. I haven't done any of the bigger ones like SDCC and PAX West but it's still crazy to think about.

Also working at Star Trek Missions in September so it should be fun and volunteering at Liberty State Anime Con next month. I'm not the biggest fan of anime and weaboos make me cringe but it gives me something to do.
anyone else going to Panorama this Saturday?

let's meet up and take a bunch of molly and pretend we're 25 again

this Kendrick set is going to be something special
I can't afford it but then again, it's Randall's Island as expected. Have fun!

Penguin

Anyone attending NYCC? I got accepted as crew. Just need to fill out the application.

Year... I wanna say 8 for me.

So yeah

Can I go for 10 in a row?

Also for NYC-GAF Official Meet-Up... may I re-suggest Suicide Squad... haha

If not weekend of the 20th... mostly because my August is busy

Year 6 is a go. I've been working at conventions and volunteering at events for 6 years(!!!). It's amazing how far I've come along as a person. I haven't done any of the bigger ones like SDCC and PAX West but it's still crazy to think about.

Also working at Star Trek Missions in September so it should be fun and volunteering at Liberty State Anime Con next month. I'm not the biggest fan of anime and weaboos make me cringe but it gives me something to do.

I can't afford it but then again, it's Randall's Island as expected. Have fun!
Where exactly is Liberty State Anime Con? I wouldn't mind going there to take pics. Don't want to pay too much though.
Amateur softball at Central Park yesterday:
DSC_2965 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_2785 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_2884 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces

I'll be there. (Think it's the 10th one for me.) I'm thinking about putting the OT together this year, if Jhoan is stepping down.

Want to get it up when the announce their Brooklyn Brewery beer nights and maybe get a pre-con meet-up on one of those nights. It's the easiest time for one.

Jhoan

Year... I wanna say 8 for me.

So yeah

Can I go for 10 in a row?

Also for NYC-GAF Official Meet-Up... may I re-suggest Suicide Squad... haha

If not weekend of the 20th... mostly because my August is busy
Throw me some more ideas since I suck at novel ideas. I would consider the Suicide Squad idea but I feel like there's going to be two camps; a movie camp and a everything else camp that joins later. The 20th or the end of August sounds good although I noticed that every time I set a meetup in August, it falls on the same weekend as the Electric Zoo.
Where exactly is Liberty State Anime Con? I wouldn't mind going there to take pics. Don't want to pay too much though.
Amateur softball at Central Park yesterday:

[pics]
It's going to be in Times Square which is why I signed up to volunteer. I honestly don't care/heard of any of the guests who are going to be there so I think it'll let me do my job that much more efficiently. They're still taking volunteer applications. Here's the link: http://www.libertycityanimecon.com/
I'll be there. (Think it's the 10th one for me.) I'm thinking about putting the OT together this year, if Jhoan is stepping down.

Want to get it up when the announce their Brooklyn Brewery beer nights and maybe get a pre-con meet-up on one of those nights. It's the easiest time for one.
You have my blessing man. I think it's time for me to lay low. Hopefully I provided some insight that dispels whatever myths people might have about the behind-the-scenes stuff. It was a blast making the threads since I always looked forward to it.

I always say each year that every NYCC is going to be my last since I keep saying that I don't know where I'll be in a year but I keep getting pulled back in! I like to say that I made a family there which is why I keep returning. Maybe that's something I can make a career out of so who knows? Unless I decide to join the Peace Corps/teach abroad, I'll keep doing it as long as I have the time for it since I always enjoy Artist Alley.

It's going to be in Times Square which is why I signed up to volunteer. I honestly don't care/heard of any of the guests who are going to be there so I think it'll let me do my job that much more efficiently. They're still taking volunteer applications. Here's the link: http://www.libertycityanimecon.com/
These fucking ticket prices. I can't even work on one of these things cause it's a volunteer thing and I'm not taking off of work for this. I'd do a one day Saturday ticket, but 55 bucks is food.

Jhoan

These fucking ticket prices. I can't even work on one of these things cause it's a volunteer thing and I'm not taking off of work for this. I'd do a one day Saturday ticket, but 55 bucks is food.
Hahaha, I don't blame you man. Funny enough, that was my rationale when I initially thought about applying to work at NYCC back in 2011. I thought to myself: "Why pay for a ticket when I can just volunteer/work the show and use the money for something else?" Fast forward five years later and here we are.

That's continues to be my rationale for a convention/event I want to attend but wouldn't want to pay for a ticket to this day. If you just want to take pictures with paying, your best bet would be to swing by the venue and take pictures of cosplayers who are gathered outside.

Hahaha, I don't blame you man. Funny enough, that was my rationale when I initially thought about applying to work at NYCC back in 2011. I thought to myself: "Why pay for a ticket when I can just volunteer/work the show and use the money for something else?" Fast forward five years later and here we are.

That's continues to be my rationale for a convention/event I want to attend but wouldn't want to pay for a ticket to this day. If you just want to take pictures with paying, your best bet would be to swing by the venue and take pictures of cosplayers who are gathered outside.
I'm not taking days off from work to make no money. I have vacation, but yeah...no that's ok. Security won't cart my ass off for taking pics by there?

Do you guys follow each other via Twitter? I communicate with a lot of gaffers, but i don't think any from NYC.

Also, do we HAVE to see a super hero film just to meet up? I'm sure you guys and gals
are interested in more than just pop culture stuff.

I'd like to hangout with some of you peeps at a Korean BBQ, Museum, concert, or doing some activities.
Feels like we pigeon hold this group to nerdy pop culture stuff even though i'm sure out interest are not so
typical.

[Agent]ZeroNine;210857469 said:
Do you guys follow each other via Twitter? I communicate with a lot of gaffers, but i don't think any from NYC.

Also, do we HAVE to see a super hero film just to meet up? I'm sure you guys and gals

I'd like to hangout with some of you peeps at a Korean BBQ, Museum, concert, or doing some activities.
Feels like we pigeon hold this group to nerdy pop culture stuff even though i'm sure out interest are not so
typical.
I'd be cool with a museum thing.

[Agent]ZeroNine;210858942 said:
That'd be cool. I always feel that the Brooklyn Museum has the most interesting cultural pieces, but me and the wife have been going there far too often. Do you know of any interesting exhibits or do you have a preference when it comes to museums?
I usually go to the Natural History Museum, but suggest whatever and I'll most likely go.

[Agent]ZeroNine;210859605 said:
That's another awesome museum. Would be cool if some of these other gaffers joined lol. Maybe we can get some drinks this weekend first so i can properly introduce myself.
Depends on the day and time. Sunday I'm quite busy cause I have to go to the Bronx to photograph the Dominican Day Parade for my job. I have no idea what's going on Saturday. I'm not a drinker though in that sense, but just ask and I'll tell you what's going on.

Depends on the day and time. Sunday I'm quite busy cause I have to go to the Bronx to photograph the Dominican Day Parade for my job. I have no idea what's going on Saturday. I'm not a drinker though in that sense, but just ask and I'll tell you what's going on.

Sounds cool to me. And I respect the no drinking. I'm mostly a wine guy anyway. Saturday me and the wife will be hitting up Far Rockaway beach. Maybe we can do lunch or dinner when you have the time. Friday's through Sundays work for me.

[Agent]ZeroNine;210860637 said:
Sounds cool to me. And I respect the no drinking. I'm mostly a wine guy anyway. Saturday me and the wife will be hitting up Far Rockaway beach. Maybe we can do lunch or dinner when you have the time. Friday's through Sundays work for me.
Yeah I should be free Saturday, maybe even tomorrow, though I'm trying to not eat out too much these days.

[Agent]ZeroNine;210861762 said:
I hear ya. If we hang tomorrow then it'll be on me. I eat inexpensively anyway :)
I'll shoot you a message later today. Hopefully it won't be an issue if my wife comes
along.
Thanks. I'll grab my camera so it's all good.

Jhoan

I'm not taking days off from work to make no money. I have vacation, but yeah...no that's ok. Security won't cart my ass off for taking pics by there?
Beats me, I'll find out what the sitrep is on the first day. However, what's to stop cosplayers from going across the street from the venue to take pictures or into Times Square proper?
[Agent]ZeroNine;210857469 said:

typical.
I don't engage with a lot of GAF members/people that I follow on Twitter (big problem I know) possibly because I use my real name and my Twitter handle does not say GAF on it. However, I follow a few peeps that post in this very thread funny enough. My Twitter is @GeneYorkMorgan. although I tweet sporadically these days since I don't know what to tweet about. I mean, yeah there's my Analytics which I look at once in a while but still.

And not at all! We've done all kinds of stuff in past meetups which I have indexed in the OP. Korean BBQ, bars, board game stuff, pool, parks, but not beaches or park barbecues. I have a date tomorrow evening and possibly another one on Saturday that's being ironed out but I can probably do something on Saturday after I part ways with that date.

Beats me, I'll find out what the sitrep is on the first day. However, what's to stop cosplayers from going across the street from the venue to take pictures or into Times Square proper?

I don't engage with a lot of GAF members/people that I follow on Twitter (big problem I know) possibly because I use my real name and my Twitter handle does not say GAF on it. However, I follow a few peeps that post in this very thread funny enough. My Twitter is @GeneYorkMorgan. although I tweet sporadically these days since I don't know what to tweet about. I mean, yeah there's my Analytics which I look at once in a while but still.

And not at all! We've done all kinds of stuff in past meetups which I have indexed in the OP. Korean BBQ, bars, board game stuff, pool, parks, but not beaches or park barbecues. I have a date tomorrow evening and possibly another one on Saturday that's being ironed out but I can probably do something on Saturday after I part ways with that date.
Look at you dating. I'm not holding my breath till my next one. Yeah I should just hang out in Times Square or at least by it. Who knows maybe I'll get lucky and get some cosplay stuff, though I hate Times Square.

Maybe you both should swing by tomorrow. If you guys like Indian, I know of a great spot not far from VideoGamesNewYork

Also, if you need some help looking good on your date, I'll let you save your date from my mugging, for a price ;)

[Agent]ZeroNine;210868251 said:
Maybe you both should swing by tomorrow. If you guys like Indian, I know of a great spot not far from VideoGamesNewYork

Also, if you need some help looking good on your date, I'll let you save your date from my mugging, for a price ;)
I know nothing about Indian Food.

Top Bottom