• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Out of town trust fund babies and in my limited experience dating hipster-ish artsy girls, either young professionals who are paralegals, work in the non-profit sector, struggling freelance [insert job here], wide-eyed I-want-to-make-it-in-New-York folks, or a combination of everything. They also probably work two jobs at the very least to have disposable income. I follow way too many professional comic artists that live Bushwick/Williamsburg.

I have to feel they all burn out of the city fast. They can't live on the stuff they do

from tonight:

0atdfDv.jpg

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So I was just watching the news and the corpse flower at the NYC botanical gardens is going to bloom soon. It only blooms once every 10 years so get on that guys.

Jhoan

Anyone here from Jipan or Mully lately? Is there any NYC meetups planned?
I haven't heard either of those names in while. I don't know anybody named J
i
h
p
o
a
a
n
n around here. Do you any of you guys? I wonder if he organizes the GAF meetups. I think someone else took over. Why I could have sworn that there was discussion of a GAF meetup for the not too distant future.

And who is Mully again? Is that the guy who posts in the NY Red Bulls fan who posts in the soccer threads and used to post in the drunk thread? Why I could have sworn he received a self-imposed banned for several months last year to focus on his personal life and returned to post in niche community threads these days.

from tonight:

0atdfDv.jpg
That's a beautiful shot I tell you what!
Not that anybody cares, but here are my shots from the Dominican Day Parade up in the Bronx that happened yesterday:
Ah my wonderful, fellow people. I used to go to the Dominican Parade in The Bronx with my father's side of the family since they live in the area before I got tired of the idea of standing in the sun for several hours. I'm more American than I am Dominican so upon first glance, one wouldn't think I speak fluent Spanish until they hear me open my mouth and people get surprised. It's always funny when people speak Spanish around me oblivious to the fact that I understand every single word.
So I was just watching the news and the corpse flower at the NYC botanical gardens is going to bloom soon. It only blooms once every 10 years so get on that guys.
You don't say? I better look this up and plan a date around that for next week. I need to find out when it ends. EDIT: Ah here's the info:

UPDATE: NYBG will be open 10 a.m.–6 p.m. on Monday, July 25, for the possible bloom of the Corpse Flower! Learn more.
After a weekend of anticipation, the high temperatures in New York did not impact the Corpse Flower's growth as our experts anticipated. The plant is still progressing, but its bloom remains difficult to predict. Watch our live feed to track its momentum.

http://www.nybg.org/exhibitions/2016/corpse-flower.php

Jhoan

Totally gotta make this August meetup thread a reality. I don't have any ideas for a place to set it at since I don't want to rehash an old idea so it might just be a blind launch for 3rd/last weekend of August (sorry E-Zoo peeps). If anyone wants to take the mantle, the door is wide open as well. It can't be on the weekend I'm doing Liberty State Anime Con even though there's free hotel for staff in Times Square so I might room there.

Jhoan

Breaking news: William Bratton is resigning as commissioner to take a job in the private sector:

Mr. Bratton’s departure was to be announced Tuesday afternoon by Mayor Bill de Blasio, according to a person with direct knowledge of the planned announcement.

Mr. Bratton would be replaced by the Police Department’s top uniformed officer, Chief James O’Neill, a veteran New York commander who became an officer in 1983.

By way of The Times.

The news conference with announcing his resignation starts at noon. Listening to the report on WNYC now. Is anyone really surprised by this? Rejoicing or indifferent to his resignation?

Breaking news: William Bratton is resigning as commissioner to take a job in the private sector:

By way of The Times.

The news conference with announcing his resignation starts at noon. Listening to the report on WNYC now. Is anyone really surprised by this? Rejoicing or indifferent to his resignation?
Is this another one of those Old white dude replaced by another old white dude" announcements cause that's what it sounds like.

Jhoan

Is this another one of those Old white dude replaced by another old white dude" announcements cause that's what it sounds like.
Yeah, it is. However, the Deputy Commissioner is African-American so there's hope that things will be different and relationships with minorities will change and a Hispanic dude, Carlos Gomez, has been named the NYPD Chief of Department. It looks like diversity is the name of the game with this new commissioner. However, it's hard not to be skeptical about that stuff but there's hope.

By way of The Times.

I'm happy Bratton is leaving but I'm not expecting the new guy to be much better.

Yeah, it is. However, the Deputy Commissioner is African-American so there's hope that things will be different and relationships with minorities will change and a Hispanic dude, Carlos Gomez, has been named the NYPD Chief of Department. It looks like diversity is the name of the game with this new commissioner. However, it's hard not to be skeptical about that stuff but there's hope.
I'm usually not paranoid by individual cops, but man I really don't blame people for not trusting the police population.

Jhoan

I'm usually not paranoid by individual cops, but man I really don't blame people for not trusting the police population.
Personally I've never had a problem the NYPD either since I look pretty harmless even with my long hair; just last night when I was waiting for the crosstown bus in front of my alma mater two cops parked in front of the stop and walked past me indifferently to the nearby precint. I feel safe in my neighborhood.

The NYPD gets a bad rap since they're in headlines and weekly OT GAF threads every week (for good reason) so I think it's going to take a couple of years for the public to regain the trust of the NYPD. If anything, while I like the diversity in the new commissioner's staff, I think it only serves to highlight the fact that women are not in higher positions within the NYPD.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Well, at least it looks like they're going to try and be better.

Jhoan

Well, at least it looks like they're going to try and be better.

No doubt! I think so as well. O'Neil is being touted as a guy who specialized in community relations. I'll find an article that highlights his track record to see what he's all about.

Again, I applaud and respect the diversity that this new guy is bringing into the NYPD since it's much needed to understand multiple perspectives and hopefully it will improve relationships between minority groups. I think it better reflects the city as a whole so while it won't be another several years until the city sees a person of color as a commissioner, it's a good step in the right direction. Hopefully.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
If anyone's interested in retro gaming, we're having a con out in central Long Island next weekend. This is the second year we're having it and last year the turn out was much more than expected. There are tournaments (with prizes), vendors, panels (my friend and I will be hosting one) and plenty of game stations on hand.

http://expo.liretro.com/ is the site for more info.

Penguin

So had a possible suggestion for a possible meet-up thingie instead of just a straight-up bar could go to one of the breweries already in the city

Jhoan

I'm looking into volunteering at the Afropunk Festival the last weekend of this month for which the application isn't up yet so either end of this month or 3rd/4th week of September. The demand is there for one last one before NYCC.

@Penguin, any particular brewery that you have in mind?

I'm looking into volunteering at the Afropunk Festival the last weekend of this month for which the application isn't up yet so either end of this month or 3rd/4th week of September. The demand is there for one last one before NYCC.

I was actually thinking of going to that festival, but not for $80, I'll see if my friend can hook me up with a ticket

Penguin

Well Brooklyn Brewery or Coney Island... maybe Coney more since more to do outside the area

Also, if you wanna risk partaking in the current-day Hunger Games, Shake Shack is giving away 100 free burgers at all of its locations next Tuesday

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/blo...ing-away-100-free-burgers-this-tuesday-081116

I always find it jarring how fashion illustrators draw people so damn skinny. I can appreciate the fact that fashion illustration has a sense of motion to it. I'm trying to seek out Dominican illustrators since I know that they're out there. I found one lead through a friend of a friend that I contacted but he never got back to me. I know he's part of an artist collective based in Brooklyn so I'm due to pay a visit to their studio next week if not next month.

Not lately it's been tough for me since I go back and forth on putting my art out on social media. I haven't updated my portfolio in over month and this month has been dry in terms of gigs. My old English professor is the only semi-regular patron who commissions me once in a while even though I feel like I undervalue the amount of money I ask for. I also did a watercolor abstract piece for free that I gave to my long time dental assistant. It's on display proudly in the dental room.

However, I started getting back into the habit of cross-posting art more regularly on my Instagram and my other social media accounts since I'm starting to apply what I learned in my social media internship to myself. The reception I've gotten has been incredibly encouraging and supportive so I will continue to make it a habit to post art at least 3-4 days a week in hopes of building up a modest following.

I have a few personal art projects that are on the back burner including illustrating a comic script that I wrote based on my life that I keep putting off. How's painting been coming along for you? I understand that you're not in the happiest place at the moment.

Out of town trust fund babies and in my limited experience dating hipster-ish artsy girls, either young professionals who are paralegals, work in the non-profit sector, struggling freelance [insert job here], wide-eyed I-want-to-make-it-in-New-York folks, or a combination of everything. They also probably work two jobs at the very least to have disposable income. I follow way too many professional comic artists that live Bushwick/Williamsburg.

Things are good. I'm at peace, not super happy but at peace. Basically, meh. 😄
Currently creating an Indy game with a couple of friends. Part satire about working in law firms/ part RPG. My personal projects are on the back burner but I've got ideas cooking.

I spent my Sunday with a chick that smells like weed and armpit hair, fucking shoot me.

Yeah but was she cute?

Went out to Trader Joe's to get some stuff and damn its boiling out there. lol With humidity it feels like 101 at the moment. It is what it is. Just pace yourself if you have to go out and drink plenty of water.

I may go out again to get some lunch and attempt to buy a birthday gift for my bro.

Jhoan

Who thinks going on a date today is a bad idea? This guy. Screw the heat. But alas I go. At least it's after sunset now but the heat is still oppressive. Will try not to kill my wallet. :(

@Penguin, Brooklyn Brewery would be the better place for mid September. Coney Island is a far trek for many peeps. Will start writing the thread some time tomorrow. I'm going into frugal mode for the rest of this month. Will look at what time they close.

Yeah: Nintendo world
Totto Ramen
Uniqlo
Muji
Kikyoman (typo Japanese) book store then sat while they were Pokemon Go hunting at Bryant park.

I'm taking the PATH to Hoboken to go home:)
I hope that path has AC. I'm always by Bryant Park.
Who thinks going on a date is a bad idea? This guy. Screw the heat. But alas I go. At least it's after sunset now but the heat is still oppressive. :(

@Penguin, Brooklyn Brewery would be the better place for mid September. Coney Island is a far trek for many peeps. Will start writing the thread some time tomorrow. I'm going into frugal mode for the rest of this month. Will look at what time they close.
At least you have a date. My date is with chaturbate later. I have never been to Coney Island or Brighton Beach. I wonder how long the Q ride is to those places.

Jhoan

Going to be in Union Square sketching some people if anyone is free/in the area since I'm free now. The heat is not so bad being outside. Fair warning though: wallet is tight so I won't be drinking.

Top Bottom