• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

yeah, i'm going to miss the summer, went to the beach almost every weekend between July - mid Aug.

stayed till 4am with a group of peoples Sunday - Monday for 2 past weekends @ Jersey shore.

good times =)

Going to be visiting next week and really excited. Im actually visiting from the UK Plan is to arrive on Friday evening until Tuesday. On Tuesday head to Washington DC until Thursday morning and then head back to NYC again until the following Sunday.

That gives me 6 full days in NYC and 2 in Washington. Also planning a day trip to Six Flags during that time.

I have booked accommodation and transport so far and so I guess was wondering if there was anything else I should really pre book in advance? Any tips for what to see and do in NYC and Washington are also greatly received!

Tourist attractions:
Central Park
Statue of Liberty (Already booked)
Helicopter ride for the great views (pretty much a treat and already booked)
(I could go on but I wont, generally plan to hit up all the main tourist spots)

Bars and restaurants
My friend is the real foodie so I have let him line up the best bars and restaurants to visit, I have noted please dont tell as a cool bar to check out and also employees only.
I plan to get at least one good slice, a good bagel

Shows:
Sleep no more (if its still running)

General districts:
Meat Packing
SOHO
Little Italy
Chinatown
Head towards Brooklyn

Any tips, suggestions or advice would be great!

We are actually also contemplating maybe checking out a meetup event or something, any recommendations on that? In the UK they are a pretty solid way to check out some bars and nightlife if your new to a bigger city.

Jhoan

bobs...onGaf said:
Going to be visiting next week and really excited. Im actually visiting from the UK Plan is to arrive on Friday evening until Tuesday. On Tuesday head to Washington DC until Thursday morning and then head back to NYC again until the following Sunday.

That gives me 6 full days in NYC and 2 in Washington. Also planning a day trip to Six Flags during that time.

I have booked accommodation and transport so far and so I guess was wondering if there was anything else I should really pre book in advance? Any tips for what to see and do in NYC and Washington are also greatly received!

Tourist attractions:
Central Park
Statue of Liberty (Already booked)
Helicopter ride for the great views (pretty much a treat and already booked)
(I could go on but I wont, generally plan to hit up all the main tourist spots)

Bars and restaurants
My friend is the real foodie so I have let him line up the best bars and restaurants to visit, I have noted please dont tell as a cool bar to check out and also employees only.
I plan to get at least one good slice, a good bagel

Shows:
Sleep no more (if its still running)

General districts:
Meat Packing
SOHO
Little Italy
Chinatown
Head towards Brooklyn

Any tips, suggestions or advice would be great!

We are actually also contemplating maybe checking out a meetup event or something, any recommendations on that? In the UK they are a pretty solid way to check out some bars and nightlife if your new to a bigger city.
A helicopter tour?! Sweet Jesus! The perks of having a strong foreign currency. It looks like a pretty damn solid list to me. If you plan to go to MoMA, I would highly advise going on any day but Friday and Tuesday (it's closed) or be prepared to deal with the flood of tourists and cell phone cameras everywhere. If you plan to hit up The Met, it's suggested donation, not $25 contrary to what it says. You can donate $1 and be fine. I usually donate anywhere from a penny to a quarter because I have no shame. If you're in the mood for some games, check out any of the Barcade locations in Manhattan or the one in Brooklyn. The OP has a list of all the bars we've gone to during past GAF meetups.

As for meetups, none really stick out off the top of my head. However, I found this one called Old New York Bars that's pretty active: https://www.meetup.com/Old-New-York-Bars/

Reddit also has regular meetup groups so definitely would recommend taking a look at that.
So no takers on this?
I scheduled a date for tomorrow evening at Columbus Circle or else I would have taken you up on it. Trying to be the most frugal mofo in the city until late next week. She wants to go check out a Black Lives Matter art installation that's on 37th between 8th and 7th.
Yesterday was the best weather ever

I'm so sad my pool only is gonna be around for another 2 or so weeks before its closed ;(
Here's hoping for another warm October. I'm going the heat since it's the best time to sketch people in parks and other public places. Also Sam Adams Summer Ale. ;_;

A few things I wanted to share. This year's Fort Tryon Park Medieval Festival is slated for September 18th from 11am-6pm. It's pretty damn early this year as opposed to previous years where it was at the end of September. I would recommend it to anyone who wants an easy date idea or an excuse to go up to The Heights since The Cloisters is open for free during the festival.

There's a Kingsglaive Final Fantasy XV art exhibition at the Hpgrp gallery (434 Greenwich St) in Tribecca that's running until September 3rd. The gallery is open from 11am-6pm. Definitely something I want to try to squeeze in time to see some time this weekend even though I have no interest in seeing the movie.

New York Central Art Supply has been having their liquidation sale so any artist types out that cry inside when they spend a ton of money on a tiny handful of supplies, best take advantage of the 50%-60% discounts. I'll be making a trip and try not to splurge so damn much on Friday. Deeply discounted Copic markers would heaven for me assuming they carry and still have any although I would be happy to settle for brush pens and pencils.

Lastly, I'll be working at Star Trek Missions over Labor Day weekend. If anybody is a huge or casual Trekkie that plans on going, I will see you there and attempt my best Vulcan salute. I'm slated to work the afternoon shifts on Friday and Sunday but I'll be there in the morning on all three days trying to work as many shifts as possible. Not sure if I'll make a thread for that but seeing as it's a (new) major con, it probably does warrant its own thread.

P.S.: Still working on the meetup thread content. I've been terribly disorganized this week so pardon the delay.

A helicopter tour?! Sweet Jesus! The perks of having a strong foreign currency. It looks like a pretty damn solid list to me. If you plan to go to MoMA, I would highly advise going on any day but Friday and Tuesday (it's closed) or be prepared to deal with the flood of tourists and cell phone cameras everywhere. If you plan to hit up The Met, it's suggested donation, not $25 contrary to what it says. You can donate $1 and be fine. I usually donate anywhere from a penny to a quarter because I have no shame. If you're in the mood for some games, check out any of the Barcade locations in Manhattan or the one in Brooklyn. The OP has a list of all the bars we've gone to during past GAF meetups.

As for meetups, none really stick out off the top of my head. However, I found this one called Old New York Bars that's pretty active: https://www.meetup.com/Old-New-York-Bars/

Reddit also has regular meetup groups so definitely would recommend taking a look at that.

I scheduled a date for tomorrow evening at Columbus Circle or else I would have taken you up on it. Trying to be the most frugal mofo in the city until late next week. She wants to go check out a Black Lives Matter art installation that's on 37th between 8th and 7th.

Here's hoping for another warm October. I'm going the heat since it's the best time to sketch people in parks and other public places. Also Sam Adams Summer Ale. ;_;

A few things I wanted to share. This year's Fort Tryon Park Medieval Festival is slated for September 18th from 11am-6pm. It's pretty damn early this year as opposed to previous years where it was at the end of September. I would recommend it to anyone who wants an easy date idea or an excuse to go up to The Heights since The Cloisters is open for free during the festival.

There's a Kingsglaive Final Fantasy XV art exhibition at the Hpgrp gallery (434 Greenwich St) in Tribecca that's running until September 3rd. The gallery is open from 11am-6pm. Definitely something I want to try to squeeze in time to see some time this weekend even though I have no interest in seeing the movie.

New York Central Art Supply has been having their liquidation sale so any artist types out that cry inside when they spend a ton of money on a tiny handful of supplies, best take advantage of the 50%-60% discounts. I'll be making a trip and try not to splurge so damn much on Friday. Deeply discounted Copic markers would heaven for me assuming they carry and still have any although I would be happy to settle for brush pens and pencils.

Lastly, I'll be working at Star Trek Missions over Labor Day weekend. If anybody is a huge or casual Trekkie that plans on going, I will see you there and attempt my best Vulcan salute. I'm slated to work the afternoon shifts on Friday and Sunday but I'll be there in the morning on all three days trying to work as many shifts as possible. Not sure if I'll make a thread for that but seeing as it's a (new) major con, it probably does warrant its own thread.

P.S.: Still working on the meetup thread content. I've been terribly disorganized this week so pardon the delay.

Hey thanks! Really appreciate the advice! The heli tour is actually pretty pricey even in my currency but it's not the kind of thing you get to do very often and nyc seems like one of the better places to see from that kind of vantage point.

My wallet is going to hurt after this holiday but nyc has been really high of places to visit for me and it's one of the few places I can justify a complete blow out of my savings haha

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces

I guess I'll see you there.

Hey thanks! Really appreciate the advice! The heli tour is actually pretty pricey even in my currency but it's not the kind of thing you get to do very often and nyc seems like one of the better places to see from that kind of vantage point.

My wallet is going to hurt after this holiday but nyc has been really high of places to visit for me and it's one of the few places I can justify a complete blow out of my savings haha

Sounds like you are busy already but I'd recommend walking the BK bridge and checking out Brooklyn bridge park/dumbo/Brooklyn heights areas.

Jhoan

My pleasure! I definitely agree. The closest thing I've gotten to that experience is playing it in GTA IV and seeing it in several documentary style shows. Since you're planning on crossing the Brooklyn Bridge, it's definitely worth walking through DUMBO/Brooklyn Bridge Park and traverse either the Manhattan or Williamsburg bridge coming back into Manhattan. Also if you can, try to squeeze in taking the water taxi which is free from Red Hook to the East River.
I guess I'll see you there.
You know it. I'm going to be on the hunt for some exclusives and swag. Looking forward to your NYCC thread! Debating whether or not to cut off my "iconic" hair next month. Been sporting a yellow bandanna lately to keep it from being all over the place.
How long would you guys say it takes a cab to get from midtown manhattan to Newark during rush hour on a weeknight?
Google Maps says it typically takes about 30-55 minutes but factoring in rush hour traffic, it would probably take roughly 1.5 hours.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hey, figured I'd ask here, but I ordered Comic-con tickets and a t-shirt a while back. When the heck do they get delivered?

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
How long would you guys say it takes a cab to get from midtown manhattan to Newark during rush hour on a weeknight?

Friend recently tried to get to Newark airport from the UES via cab. She was stuck in traffic for about an hour and still hadn't left the city. Ended up having the driver drop her off at Penn Station - made her flight thanks to the train.

Friend recently tried to get to Newark airport from the UES via cab. She was stuck in traffic for about an hour and still hadn't left the city. Ended up having the driver drop her off at Penn Station - made her flight thanks to the train.

I'll be pretty close to the Lincoln Tunnel so I'm hoping it won't be that bad.

hey Jaded, i'm going to be in Brooklyn tomorrow to meet a friend doing residence @ SUNY Downstate for dinner.

i'll try and come out early maybe i can hit you up for lunch in the city if your work allows.

i'll pm you.

hey Jaded, i'm going to be in Brooklyn tomorrow to meet a friend doing residence @ SUNY Downstate for dinner.

i'll try and come out early maybe i can hit you up for lunch in the city if your work allows.

i'll pm you.
What time will you be in Brooklyn? I'm usually not back there till around 6 and what part of Brooklyn would you be in?

What time will you be in Brooklyn? I'm usually not back there till around 6 and what part of Brooklyn would you be in?

i'll be taking the 2 train from Penn station to Winthrope Street Station by 5:30pm

first time taking the subway to SUNY downstate as i usually drive in bc it costs about the same. but since it's rush hour i'm going to train it.

i'm going to go by union square and grab a comic on the way back probably around 9pm =)

Jhoan

I'd be perfectly fine meeting numerous gaf members I'm just awkward in public.
I notice that everyone here says that and they turn out to be the average New Yorker people pass by the streets obliviously in person.
when next GAF meetup? =)

just curious... though i see it's usually on a sat and i'm down in princeton fridays/saturdays =/
Shooting for the 24th of September, a Saturday. I more or less have a draft of the thread content on a Notepad doc in my laptop but I'm at an eye doctor appointment at the moment.

i'm actually free tonight for the first time in a while =)

i guess i'll be staying home playing some retro games, i went to SUNY Downstate yesterday and met some new peoples. was flirting with one girl but know she's way too young, a MS2 =/
(2nd year med...)
at least we can chill as friends, i'm going to see again her in 2 weeks after labor day weekend.

sorry for the double post/bump,

Jaded and I are impromtu chilling around union square in case anyone is around,
we're meeting inside Strand's bookstore around 8:30pm,

i haven't eaten so i'll prob pick something up around then.

just pm me or Jaded if you want to join =)

david

Jhoan

sorry for the double post/bump,

Jaded and I are impromtu chilling around union square in case anyone is around,
we're meeting inside Strand's bookstore around 8:30pm,

i haven't eaten so i'll prob pick something up around then.

just pm me or Jaded if you want to join =)

david
You duders need to come up to Ft. Tryon Park. Did a live watercolor painting to the sunset. Gonna hang out here for a bit longer then go hit the gym before it closes. Getting a bit hungry.

EDIT: The painting in question:
g89z2Os.jpg

You duders need to come up to Ft. Tryon Park. Did a live watercolor painting to the sunset. Gonna hang out here for a bit longer then go hit the gym before it closes. Getting a bit hungry.

EDIT: The painting in question:
Hey that looks awesome! We stopped by a $1 pizza shop by union square. It's pretty damn good slices for a dollar=)

Hanging with Jaded on my first friday off in a while was pretty cool. I just got back as i have to work tomorrow.
Thanks man! it was cool talking about my favorite all time hobby Macross and hearing about your relationship stories. Jaded is not shy or in the "Tinder is destroying Men's self esteem category" he claims to be in! =)

though i didn't share much about myself, at least you know why i choose to be solo =) but i will update you on the med student.
hopefully i'll see you @ the next nycGAF meet up and meet more of nice peoples on here =)

this is the billboard for the $1 Pizza =)
qdYH5QFh.jpg

Hanging with Jaded on my first friday off in a while was pretty cool. I just got back as i have to work tomorrow.
Thanks man! it was cool talking about my favorite all time hobby Macross and hearing about your relationship stories. Jaded is not shy or in the "Tinder is destroying Men's self esteem category" he claims to be in! =)

though i didn't share much about myself, at least you know why i choose to be solo =) but i will update you on the med student.
hopefully i'll see you @ the next nycGAF meet up and meet more of nice peoples on here =)

this is the billboard for the $1 Pizza =)
qdYH5QFh.jpg
I'm fine cause I'm not trying to date you. It's like my social synapses get fried when tits are involved.

Mega

Banned
Jaded is not shy or in the "Tinder is destroying Men's self esteem category" he claims to be in! =)

Explain. Is Jaded a troll?!

Maybe I'll come out to hang next time. Not that I knew you all were doing this, but I was working until 6:30 today anyway... and went straight home since I was running on like 3.5 hours of sleep.

Maybe I'll come out to hang next time. Not that I knew you all were doing this, but I was working until 6:30 today anyway... and went straight home since I was running on like 3.5 hours of sleep.

ahaha, Jaded is definitely not a troll but doesn't give himself enough credit =)
i don't think he's shy at all! as he was doing most of the socializing. i listened most of the time. i learned a bit about photography and cameras as he's pretty knowledgeable.

definitely was last minute Mega, but i'll pm next time i'm in the city just in case you're free. I still want to go CRT hunting with you the next time you're planning to take a trip there!

Takeover was really awesome!

What isn't awesome? Trying to find new housing in the city. I have to move out of Staten and into Harlem or upper manhattan (anywhere near Metro North). Has been hell.

ALSO, anyone know where I can sell Made in America tickets? I can't go, but I have inactive wristbands.

I'm just a weird dude with confidence issues.

Jhoan

Kid Kamikaze10 said:
Takeover was really awesome!

What isn't awesome? Trying to find new housing in the city. I have to move out of Staten and into Harlem or upper manhattan (anywhere near Metro North). Has been hell.

ALSO, anyone know where I can sell Made in America tickets? I can't go, but I have inactive wristbands.
Damn and here I thought that Staten Island was a bastion safe from the clutches of rising rent. A friend of mines just signed a lease on an apartment not too far from my way a few days ago since he got accepted into Columbia's grad school program for writing. He's moving out of his parents' house from Long Island but he felt like like signed a deal with the devil. Good luck with the search since that it's that time of season where college kids are looking for an apartment/room so I bet it must be incredibly competitive!

As for your question, try eBay, craigslist, or Stubhub if you done so already since those are the obvious choices.

On another note, I might go down to the Union Square area later today myself since I'm not going to have time to go New York Central Art Supply next week other than maybe Wednesday or Thursday after I pick up my work badge. If I go down there, it will definitely be before 5:45pm since that's when they close.

I would be looking to be in the area around 2:30ish-3pmish. If anyone would be down to meet up, let me know. I'm not planning on going home for a while and will probably be at The Strand/Forbidden Planet afterwards and/or Barnes and Noble's cafe area charging my phone. I'll more than likely reach out to Lulubop while I'm down there.

As for the September meet up thread, I will have it up by some time later today since I keep putting it off.xD

Penguin

Crap what weekend were we aiming for the Sept meet-up... think in a drunken state may have scheduled a semi-reunion with some old friends the same weekend

Sept 17th or w/e

Jhoan

What's good today?

I didn't end up going down to Union Square since I wasn't going to make it on time and they're closed tomorrow. Will have go to for sure on Tuesday or Wednesday. It's a nice day to be outside too but alas, I don't have anything planned.

Top Bottom