• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

So I've been looking at areas to move to in the next month or two.

Ideally I want to find a place, don't mind roommates, in East/West Village/SoHo area. Really enjoy the vibe down there.

I am open to Brooklyn neighborhoods, can you guys recommend some that have a similar vibe to East/West Village/SoHo?

There's no place in BK I'm aware of that has similar vibe to those places.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Well that's a problem cause regardless of roommate or not they're going to run your credit history.

That's why you go for subletting, or so I've been told.

There's no place in BK I'm aware of that has similar vibe to those places.

Bummer.

I guess since I work in Union Square it would be easiest to get a place around SoHo. One of my coworkers is paying $2500 for a literally one room shoebox, off of 14th 12th street and 4th avenue. By that I mean his bed + couch literally take up the entire apartment space.

Jhoan

Guess who's walking all the way to the Javits Center from DUMBO? That's right, this guy. It's nice being on the Brooklyn Bridge and seeing the Manhattan side all grey and dreary. Never seen so many locks on the bridge though!

Penguin

Guess who's walking all the way to the Javits Center from DUMBO? That's right, this guy. It's nice being on the Brooklyn Bridge and seeing the Manhattan side all grey and dreary. Never seen so many locks on the bridge though!

What's going on at Javits?

i was just there a month ago taking some college students, really nice walk!
NG7D57U.png

JaMarco

I guess since I work in Union Square it would be easiest to get a place around SoHo. One of my coworkers is paying $2500 for a literally one room shoebox, off of 14th 12th street and 4th avenue. By that I mean his bed + couch literally take up the entire apartment space.
Does he own it?

Jhoan

What's going on at Javits?
Star Trek Missions. I'm at Javits now. It's going to be a small one since it takes up Javits North, and 1A-1D. They have a lot of bodies for this event so that means I'm working 2 shifts only and have Saturday to enjoy. The work shirt and badge are nice.

i was just there a month ago taking some college students, really nice walk!
Nice, I ended up not walking all the way up. It started raining heavily so I took the 2 to 34th St. There were way too many tourists on that bridge so I sympathize with any bike riders since they clog up the paths.

Jhoan

Trying to figure out what to do with myself today

Anything good going on?
Star Trek Missions cosplay contest tonight but I know you don't want to be reminded of work. It's my day off so I'm going to collect swag today and see a few panels. It's been a chill con. Security and several friends I spoke to are excited for NYCC.

Shatner is appearing tomorrow so it's going to be insane. The downside is the tropical storm is approaching NY tomorrow so it's gonna be a wash out of a day. Still, it's going to keep people from coming down.

Tropical Storm? FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Looks like it also hits the West Indian Parade I have to photograph and they don't cancel these for weather.

Have to say for those who said sleep no more is worth the money - thank you! It was a pretty fantastic show!

I will say I think if I lived here I would now read up on it more and try and go again to get more out of the experience but for a complete first time going in totally blind I really enjoyed it

There were times I was frustrated by seemingly following characters I wasn't as interested in and not being able to find those that I was but in some ways I guess it adds to the experience gambling which floor to see and who to follow

I am hesitant to spoil anything so will keep this vague but I almost felt like there were two very distinct stories going on the upper and lower floors and I couldn't quite peice together how the upper floor characters fit into some of the lower floor ones

Turned out to be a gorgeous day here in the city. I was concerned about the chance of downpours since I have drains to monitor but luckily everything turned out alright. I"m sure lots out there canceled plans because of all the warnings and stuff but there is still time to enjoy the holiday weekend. I'll just relax myself and get my stinkin apartment organized and stuff.

Jhoan

Shatner panel is overcrowded past the theatre's capacity. I'll post pics later. I couldn't ask for a better way to go out with a bang. The weather being fantastic today is icing on the cake.

I'm looking forward to NY Comic Con more than ever since doing this show was a warm up. Shoutout to Fallengorn who I saw earlier. Shatner is as energetic and fit as ever at 85.

Never had a credit check in NYC
I haven't either but I'm worried about when I do. I was named wrongly in a eviction case as a subtenant so I think if a landlord pulls my name it will so I've been sued. Even though I got a stipulation from the landlords attorney saying I did nothing wrong, the case against me was dismissed and this shouldn't be used against me. Idk if landlords are good about letting you explain or show that when I apply.

I'm still gonna do mostly subletting roommate things but still. I'm worried going forward if I want to get my own place.

BkMogul

Anyone going to the J Ouvert gathering tomorrow morning (as in, 2am in the morning) and the West Indian Parade in the afternoon?

Thanks for that news roundup Jhoan. I'm starting to (at least try) get serious with a young lady I recently met and it's good to get some info about nice things happening around the city.

Jhoan

Most random thing about the city: running into a girl inside the 42nd St. turnstyle who popped earbuds into the ears of my friend and I with 70s Iranian music because she lived in Hell's Kitchen and was bored. It was a bit sad when I told her we'll probably never see each other again, high fived and wished each other a nice life. It was a existential moment.

Another random moment :A Canadian dude who came to the city from Philadelphia after arguing with his girlfriend couldn't take the Mega Bus back to Toronto since his bike wasn't allowed. He asked my friend and I for an Allen wrench to dismantle his handle when were sitting at Hudson Yards Park. He didn't have much money and we felt bad for him. Hopefully he gets back home and ditches or sells the bike.

Most random thing about the city: running into a girl inside the 42nd St. turnstyle who popped earbuds into the ears of my friend and I with 70s Iranian music because she lived in Hell's Kitchen and was bored. It was a bit sad when I told her we'll probably never see each other again, high fived and wished each other a nice life. It was a existential moment.

That's on you though, I've met a person on a subway, chatted for a couple stops and got drinks a few times since

Don't let dreams be dreams :)

I assume she asked if you wanted to listen to her music. lol I can't imagine how I would react if some random stranger puts their earbuds into my ear. I would probably flip out.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Shatner panel is overcrowded past the theatre's capacity. I'll post pics later. I couldn't ask for a better way to go out with a bang. The weather being fantastic today is icing on the cake.

I'm looking forward to NY Comic Con more than ever since doing this show was a warm up. Shoutout to Fallengorn who I saw earlier. Shatner is as energetic and fit as ever at 85.

It was nice seeing you again.

If anyone's interested I uploaded my photos from the con.

Jhoan

Anyone going to the J Ouvert gathering tomorrow morning (as in, 2am in the morning) and the West Indian Parade in the afternoon?

Thanks for that news roundup Jhoan. I'm starting to (at least try) get serious with a young lady I recently met and it's good to get some info about nice things happening around the city.
Wow! That was very early. JadedWriter will be there like Peter Parker chasing a scoop for Jameson.

My pleasure! I try to find local news that's relevant to discussion. It also helps that I work for a yet to launch events company so I more or less know what's going on around the city since I copy and paste free events. For instance, I found out by way of Facebook that there's going to be a first ever Fort Hamilton Comic Con in Brooklyn on October 15: http://brooklynreporter.com/story/first-ever-fort-hamilton-comiccon-coming-october/

It's too bad I'll be volunteering at the NY Craft Beer Festival that weekend. They're giving volunteers more of an incentive to volunteer for the Saturday evening session by rewarding folks who do it with a shirt, a meal ticket, and a VIP wristband for next spring's beer festival so I can't say no to that. As per usual, I'll be giving away a VIP wristband for anyone interested when the time comes.

Oh and Brooklyn Book Festival is also the weekend of the 18th of this month: http://www.brooklynbookfestival.org/2016/festival-events

That's on you though, I've met a person on a subway, chatted for a couple stops and got drinks a few times since

Don't let dreams be dreams :)
GAF Man strikes again. If anything, it made me realize that there's a lot of lonely people in the city yearning to connect with others and not in a bad way. I totally shut the part of my brain off that says "Hey this person is really cool, I should get their contact info."
I assume she asked if you wanted to listen to her music. lol I can't imagine how I would react if some random stranger puts their earbuds into my ear. I would probably flip out.
At first I thought it was someone trying to get me to listen to their music so they could eventually sell me a CD since as soon as I went through the turnstile, I was suddenly asked to listen to music since she was on the other side. But then it was the complete opposite as my friend and I started talking to her since we learned that she was lonely and didn't want to go to a bar to do that.

Funny enough, when she asked an MTA worker to listen to the music and popped the earbud into his ear, the security dude he was with had the biggest and funniest WTF face I've ever seen. It made me and my friend literally LOL so I can see why you would flip out; there's people who are terrified of putting someone else's ear wax in their ears. I'm used to all that stuff though.
It was nice seeing you again.

If anyone's interested I uploaded my photos from the con.
You know it! I'm looking forward to this year's NYCC thread. Just thinking about the madness is making me smile already. When a Kingsborough Community College professor who my friend got into a long conversation with said it must be a mad house, it got a good laugh out of both of us.

The perks of having a phone with a good camera: shots come out looking incredibly well. My cosplay contest shots were potato cam quality. You're giving JadedWriter a run for his money in the photography department!

By the way, there was still plenty of space for the Shatner panel in the end. All the people that were corralled inside the queue made it in plus a huge overflow of people. The Main Stage was well over the 3K capacity limit. Shatner may be a giant douchebag personality wise, but I have to admit, the guy is a damn good story teller and charismatic.

EBreda

Gaf, ill be in NY for 5 Days for the AcDc concert (sep 14th).

Where can I get the best burger for cheap ? And burrito?

Any food truck meet up I should know about ?

Thanks !!

Thanks !!
I always like the burgers from Bare Burger. Don't know anything about burritos though.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces

Thanks !!

I'm a Shake Shack guy, so I'd go with that. Burrito... Dos Toros?

For food trucks... there's a few places they congregate. If you're going to be in midtown the big one is 47th and Park. Then there's 46th and 6th, 52nd and 6th... Hanover Square down in the Financial District is a big gathering too.

Oxn

I'm a Shake Shack guy, so I'd go with that. Burrito... Dos Toros?

For food trucks... there's a few places they congregate. If you're going to be in midtown the big one is 47th and Park. Then there's 46th and 6th, 52nd and 6th... Hanover Square down in the Financial District is a big gathering too.

Wait there are shake shack food trucks? And one at hanover square?

I see trucks all the time, but i never actually look at what they are because there are always long lines and i know i wont buy it if i gotta wait.

Top Bottom