• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Have you guys every had the subway conductor turn into a tour guide. I was crossing the Williamsburg bridge and he starts give a lecture on all the east river bridges and when they were built.

Have you guys every had the subway conductor turn into a tour guide. I was crossing the Williamsburg bridge and he starts give a lecture on all the east river bridges and when they were built.
I ride the subway with my headphones on so I don't hear shit. I don't know how people commute without music.

Nice photos. do you ever get shit from people when you take their photos?
It has been awhile since somebody actually gave me grief over it, then again I've gotten a lot better at picking and choosing when, where and who I photograph. I've been sticking to the tourist destinations like Central Park and Times Square and nobody really seems to give a shit there. I also have the added bonus of having a decent telephoto lens so I'm not up in peoples faces as much as I used to.

Jhoan

Dude must have gone off the script. They're not supposed to do that as they will get in trouble for that. In a few cases where I've been on a train, the subway conductor would give random facts or comment about the Yankees game. A few weeks ago, when I was taking the 6 train to my alma mater, the conductor said something rather encouraging to people. It struck me as being rather odd.
It has been awhile since somebody actually gave me grief over it, then again I've gotten a lot better at picking and choosing when, where and who I photograph. I've been sticking to the tourist destinations like Central Park and Times Square and nobody really seems to give a shit there. I also have the added bonus of having a decent telephoto lens so I'm not up in peoples faces as much as I used to.
I get the same thing with sketches that I do of people in public/the subway. Never gotten a single bad/negative reaction when the person I sketched found out that they were my subject. It's always been positive and it's always very deliberate who I choose to sketch. Children are much harder to sketch since they tend to fidget way more than adults do so I avoid them.

Also, when I had a working camera and was in undergrad, I took pictures of people taking pictures/selfies in the steps of The Met for my Digital Photography class. Nobody ever noticed.

Penguin

Fixed. I wonder what kind of beers you were drinking. ;)

All types... and lots of mixed drinks and shots

My stomach is so not agreeing with me on these decisions this morning

Though finally got to check out Gotham City Lounge, which is a nice little dive bar. Then went to Pizza PArty which was cool for the nostalgia.

Jhoan

Though finally got to check out Gotham City Lounge, which is a nice little dive bar. Then went to Pizza PArty which was cool for the nostalgia.
I know that feel. Every time I go out with my old English professor, I get traumatized by the horrors drinking alcohol. I always wake up with a bad headache from having consumed a combination of beers and stronger alcoholic drinks e.g. soju and cocktails. Thankfully I haven't puked in ages.

My friend who's a huge comics fan told me about that place. It's a dive bar at its finest. Hopefully you ran into some interesting characters. The Pizza Party place has polarizing reviews on Yelp. It sounds like a place called Bodega Pizza that opened a few months ago in my neighborhood.

I always stick to one type of drink a night and it's usually beer. Unless I'm eating then it might be wine. I've never understood mixed drinks at bars they're way over priced and usually have the same amount of alcohol as beer (so it'd not like they're better at getting you drunk)

I spend so much less than my friends and have just as much fun as they do.

Btw I had an awesome night. Bushwick is awesome. Ended up meeting a reporter that I really admire randomly at this bar off the Jefferson stop which is like me new haunt which was awesome.

I really love Brooklyn and am glad the meet up is here this time.

Penguin

I always stick to one type of drink a night and it's usually beer. Unless I'm eating then it might be wine. I've never understood mixed drinks at bars they're way over priced and usually have the same amount of alcohol as beer (so it'd not like they're better at getting you drunk)

I spend so much less than my friends and have just as much fun as they do.

Btw I had an awesome night. Bushwick is awesome. Ended up meeting a reporter that I really admire randomly at this bar off the Jefferson stop which is like me new haunt which was awesome.

I really love Brooklyn and am glad the meet up is here this time.

Honestly, it was mostly mixed drinks last night.

Just a mixture over the weekend.

I prefer beer at bars for the same reason, but I couldn't pass up mixed drinks themed after comic book chars.

The Daredevil was so good!

Honestly, it was mostly mixed drinks last night.

Just a mixture over the weekend.

I prefer beer at bars for the same reason, but I couldn't pass up mixed drinks themed after comic book chars.

The Daredevil was so good!
I live right by that bar there but never have been in. Probably should head over there one night after work for something.

What's in the daredevil? And do they have a Batman?

Penguin

I live right by that bar there but never have been in. Probably should head over there one night after work for something.

What's in the daredevil? And do they have a Batman?

Was disappointed that they lacked a Batman or Superman drink.

And what's in the Daredevil is a surprise!
;)

(Actually wish it was and they changed it up like monthly)

Cq-R68gWYAIoVRm.jpg

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Oh when I said dive bar, I mean dive bar

There's nothing on tap. All the beer is kept in like a tiny top load fridge.

It can maybe fit like 40 people in before cramped.

But eh what I want from a dive

Sounds like KGB, only with a shittier beer list.

Christopher

Does anyone go on the subway and have people draw them...? It always happens too if someone has their sketchbook I always see them looking at me and drawing and I try not to make eye contact lol

Jhoan

Does anyone go on the subway and have people draw them...? It always happens too if someone has their sketchbook I always see them looking at me and drawing and I try not to make eye contact lol
In the 4 years that I've been sketching people on and off in public and on the subway, I've never had a single person sketch me but I've spotted sketchers sketching others and smile. It's funny that you do that as that's good to know when I sketch someone tomorrow since I try to avoid making eye contact with the person. I've yet to sketch police officers since I would probably get an awkward/suspicious look.

If you're ever on the A or 1 train, chances are I will probably sketch you if you're wearing something that sticks out to me. It's mostly autopilot for me at this point to take out my sketchbook once I enter a train car. Even the show time kids don't stop me.
i think that person meant "dude, this is me we are talking about, of course i didn't get her number"

but i might be wrong.

Also, i wanted to ask. If i Live in Bayonne, NJ... can i be part of NYC Gaf?
Of course Jersey GAF is more than welcome here since this is more or less a thread for the Tri-state area. After all, Jersey is tied at the hip to NY.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

Happened to me once. I realized this girl kept staring my way and then noticed she was sketching me. So I made a really scrunched up ugly face for three minutes straight, until my stop. She laughed - don't think she was expecting anyone to do that.

Not sure what's weirder, drawing a stranger or taking their photo without them knowing.

Hey so in town for about a week, was thinking of either hiring a bike to check out Central park or going on one of the tours. Can anyone recommend anything either way? Going at my own pace may work well as I doubt I need a guided tour but all the same I feel it's best to check here!

Also thinking of checking out sleep no more - can anyone give recommendations on whether it's worth the entry?

Thanks!

Jhoan

That makes sense
How was the Afropunk Festival? I saw that someone went on my Instagram feed.
Happened to me once. I realized this girl kept staring my way and then noticed she was sketching me. So I made a really scrunched up ugly face for three minutes straight, until my stop. She laughed - don't think she was expecting anyone to do that.

Not sure what's weirder, drawing a stranger or taking their photo without them knowing.
Hahaha, subway trolling at its finest. You and I can't be friends then since that's the bane of my existence.

JadedWriter said:
They're both an art unto themself.

Hey so in town for about a week, was thinking of either hiring a bike to check out Central park or going on one of the tours. Can anyone recommend anything either way? Going at my own pace may work well as I doubt I need a guided tour but all the same I feel it's best to check here!

Also thinking of checking out sleep no more - can anyone give recommendations on whether it's worth the entry?

Thanks!
My advice would be to start at the Columbus Circle entrance then use Google Maps and the park's maps as necessary to go see the points of interest within the park that you want to see. I think Central Park is pretty straightforward since your only options are to go north/south; east/west. The pond is with the underpass section is a pretty popular area. There are some areas that inaccessible without a guide. If you want a tour, Central Park has free tours so take your pick from here: https://www.nycgovparks.org/events/tours

As for your second question, I've never done it personally but have been inside the place for events. The general consensus is that it's worth checking it out. Plus they have a cool rooftop bar that's best enjoyed while the weather is still hot/nice.

Shanlei91

Hahaha, subway trolling at its finest. You and I can't be friends then since that's the bane of my existence.

My proudest subway troll was a couple of years ago. Some girl came up to me and asked if I was an actor on a show called Eureka. I said no then later googled the actor and realized that he's a bit of a doppelganger. A few months later another girl on the subway asked if I was him. I said yes then took a selfie with her.

My proudest subway troll was a couple of years ago. Some girl came up to me and asked if I was an actor on a show called Eureka. I said no then later googled the actor and realized that he's a bit of a doppelganger. A few months later another girl on the subway asked if I was him. I said yes then took a selfie with her.
Should have gotten da digits.

Hey thanks for the advice guys! Checked out a bunch of the park yesterday and booked tickets for sleep no more!

I am really jelous of your City!

meow

Hey thanks for the advice guys! Checked out a bunch of the park yesterday and booked tickets for sleep no more!

I am really jelous of your City!

Oh shoot I was gonna reply to the sleep no more question and forgot! I went once and I think if I went again I'd go for the later session - I think starts at 11 pm? Heard it has smaller crowds. Large crowds of people swarming around kind of made the experience not as good as I thought it could be.

Guevara

Hey NYC GAF, is anyone by any chance going to the Ghost show at Kings Theater in November?

I don't know anyone personally who'd want to go with me, thinking of going alone. Should be awesome!

640px-Ghost_live_in_Utrecht.jpg

Jhoan

Oh shoot I was gonna reply to the sleep no more question and forgot! I went once and I think if I went again I'd go for the later session - I think starts at 11 pm? Heard it has smaller crowds. Large crowds of people swarming around kind of made the experience not as good as I thought it could be.
I really need to a make note to set aside some money for this somewhere down the line. Large crowds for anything in the city in general is bound to be an unpleasant experience.

Hey NYC GAF, is anyone by any chance going to the Ghost show at Kings Theater in November?

I don't know anyone personally who'd want to go with me, thinking of going alone. Should be awesome!

640px-Ghost_live_in_Utrecht.jpg

I'm really out of touch with music as I'm not familiar with this band. The description of how they get a new frontman for each new album sounds pretty bad ass though:

For each album, a Summoning is held to present a new singer and frontman for the band at an undisclosed location in Lincopia, Otrogathia. Papa Emeritus III, the singer for the Meliora chapter of Ghost, was revealed via a paid advertisement on VH-1 Classic on May 20, 2015 during a late night broadcast of Caddyshack.

Here's the event link with the info for anyone who's curious: http://www.kingstheatre.com/shows/ghost

A few other things of note that I wanted to share.

The Alama Drafthouse Downtown Brooklyn location has been delayed indefinitely. Jere's their press release on the matter by way of Gothamist:

After some early delays, we had an August date had stuck and felt very realistic for our grand opening. Sadly, after some setbacks, we’ve had to face the facts that that date, and opening this month, is no longer realistic. Getting a business open in New York is...complicated. So, back to the original question: when is the theater opening? To be perfectly honest, we don’t have an answer right now.

A 40 year old creep stalked a 19 year old student inside my alma mater and past the turnstiles to her classroom:

The suspect, who police described as a man in his 40s, grabbed the woman as she was getting off a southbound 6 train at the 68th Street-Hunter College station at 9:30 a.m. Monday.

Video surveillance inside the school shows him walking through the turnstiles of the lobby. Police didn't have information about how he was able to get past the turnstiles.

I'm stunned he was able to get past the turnstiles and had the nerve to follow her all the way inside. Although if to speculate as to how he was able to get through, he probably followed her or another student through the turnstile. Also, given how hectic it gets in the morning with students forgetting their badges, public safety gets distracted. Hopefully the creep gets caught.

Hotdog fans rejoice: Gray's Papaya is coming back to midtown so you no longer have to make the trek to the lone 72nd and Broadway location. It will be on 39th between 8th and 7th:

The snappy dogs and mysterious papaya drinks'll be feeding tourists for at least the next 20 years, according to lease details.

Not doing anything on Labor Day weekend? Visit the top the new Woolworth building as part of the #PreservationPays challenge where you take a picture in front of the six landmarks plus at the aforementioned building:

The Washington Square Arch in the Village (Take the A / C / E / B / D / F / M to W 4th St - Washington Sq);
Carnegie Hall, at 881 7th Avenue in Manhattan (Take the N / Q / R to 57th St - 7th Ave) (Take the N / Q / R to 57th St - 7th Ave);
Chavela's at 736 Franklin Ave in Crown Heights, Brooklyn (Take the 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 to Franklin Ave);
The Battery Maritime Building, at 10 South Street in Manhattan (Take the 1 to South Ferry or R to Whitehall St)
33-52 81st Street in the Jackson Heights Historic District, Queens (Take the 7 to 82nd St - Jackson Heights);
The Alhambra Apartments, at 500 Nostrand Avenue, Brooklyn (Take the A / C to Nostrand Ave); and
The Woolworth Building / Woolworth Tower Residences at 2 Park Place, Manhattan (Take the 2 / 3 to Park Place or R to City Hall).

Each photo must be posted on either Twitter or Instagram using the hashtag #PreservationPays and tagging the Historic Districts Council (@hdcnyc on Instagram and @hdc_nyc on Twitter) before 11:59 PM on Tuesday, September 6th.

I would love to do this since it sounds fun. Monday would be the day I have time to do it.

And last but not least, the 21 year old girl who stalled the D train in the Manhattan Bridge because she unleashed crickets was arrested and charged:

The NYPD tells us Pugh was arrested today and charged with reckless endangerment. The 21-year-old told us over the weekend that the stunt, which set off a chaotic panic in the car, was meant to "show how people react to homeless people, how people look down at them." The NYPD tells us Pugh was arrested today and charged with reckless endangerment. The 21-year-old told us over the weekend that the stunt, which set off a chaotic panic in the car, was meant to "show how people react to homeless people, how people look down at them."

Were there any GAF members on that train by any chance?

Sometimes I miss my Bronx neighborhood. I'm in the West Village and sometimes I just can't stand it. I'm probably too laid back I suppose. So much damn construction/renovations and pot smokers especially now that the college kids are back. Lots of homeless as well. My former Bronx hood (Bedford Park/Norwood) is so quiet in comparison. Granted there is nothing really there but I kinda like that. lol I still go back to the Bronx to visit my mom and sis once a week so I at least I still have that.

I guess one good thing about the Village is all the take out joints I get to try out once in awhile. Tons of options for sure. I will say this though...I sure don't miss the subway commute to work. :)

I've heard that guy before on the R train years ago. he was cool. he's not the only one to go off script, quite a few do it.

Shanlei91

The NYPD tells us Pugh was arrested today and charged with reckless endangerment. The 21-year-old told us over the weekend that the stunt, which set off a chaotic panic in the car, was meant to "show how people react to homeless people, how people look down at them." The NYPD tells us Pugh was arrested today and charged with reckless endangerment. The 21-year-old told us over the weekend that the stunt, which set off a chaotic panic in the car, was meant to "show how people react to homeless people, how people look down at them."

Justice!

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
So I've been looking at areas to move to in the next month or two.

Ideally I want to find a place, don't mind roommates, in East/West Village/SoHo area. Really enjoy the vibe down there.

I am open to Brooklyn neighborhoods, can you guys recommend some that have a similar vibe to East/West Village/SoHo?

So I've been looking at areas to move to in the next month or two.

Ideally I want to find a place, don't mind roommates, in East/West Village/SoHo area. Really enjoy the vibe down there.

I am open to Brooklyn neighborhoods, can you guys recommend some that have a similar vibe to East/West Village/SoHo?
First question is what's your budget?

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
The Alama Drafthouse Downtown Brooklyn location has been delayed indefinitely. Jere's their press release on the matter by way of Gothamist:

They've recently said it'll open in the Fall, but no hard set dates. (This is like talking about Valve now...) They've been putting up signs for the theater all around Fulton Mall.

Top Bottom