• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Gaf, ill be in NY for 5 Days for the AcDc concert (sep 14th).

Where can I get the best burger for cheap ? And burrito?

Any food truck meet up I should know about ?

Thanks !!

For Burritos, there are a couple of these in the city:

http://www.blockheads.com/

There was a week where I ate burritos from them every day.

For Burgers, I prefer Shake Shack or BurgerFi.

Two from todays West Indian Parade. I need to edit these and a lot more tomorrow though.
14207639_10155289308332195_1121074027192931560_o.jpg

14202524_10155289284182195_8931559227507882830_n.jpg

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Met a really cute girl in Union Square today, she goes to an acting conservatory near there.

We chatted for a bit and I got her number before she left.

Edit:
Your photos is look great man.

Met a really cute girl in Union Square today, she goes to an acting conservatory near there.

We chatted for a bit and I got her number before she left.

Edit:
Your photos is look great man.
Congrats on the digits. My love life is a mess, it's fucking dead. Thanks, at least my photography isn't a mess.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Congrats on the digits. My love life is a mess, it's fucking dead. Thanks, at least my photography isn't a mess.

To be honest, I am super any in person, hence why I find using dating apps easier.

But we were sitting down next to each other eating our food while trying to ignore the raving religious guy.

She made eye contact and smiled at me, and I didn't do anything but smile back. Like 10 minutes later I see her getting ready to leave and notice the religious nut has stopped screaming.

So I said," I didn't think he'd ever stop, but being able to rave nonstop for that long is impressive."

Then we chatted and I gave her my # and she sent me hers. It's funny cause I almost didn't attempt talking to her, but I perseveres and put myself out there.

Worked well!

------
Yeah I really like your photography. My stuff is too artsy 😖

To be honest, I am super any in person, hence why I find using dating apps easier.

But we were sitting down next to each other eating our food while trying to ignore the raving religious guy.

She made eye contact and smiled at me, and I didn't do anything but smile back. Like 10 minutes later I see her getting ready to leave and notice the religious nut has stopped screaming.

So I said," I didn't think he'd ever stop, but being able to rave nonstop for that long is impressive."

Then we chatted and I gave her my # and she sent me hers. It's funny cause I almost didn't attempt talking to her, but I perseveres and put myself out there.

Worked well!

------
Yeah I really like your photography. My stuff is too artsy 😖
I am not great at dealing with people in person. I'm bad online as well. Either my pictures suck or I'm just damn ugly or boring in my profile. Regarding my photography I normally just try to capture people in the moment as best as I can. Somebody else can be artsy, but even that stuff starts looking the same to me. There are particular portrait looks that quite frankly I'm tired of seeing cause so much of that's done in photoshop and adding artificial sunlight I swear.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I am not great at dealing with people in person. I'm bad online as well. Either my pictures suck or I'm just damn ugly or boring in my profile. Regarding my photography I normally just try to capture people in the moment as best as I can. Somebody else can be artsy, but even that stuff starts looking the same to me. There are particular portrait looks that quite frankly I'm tired of seeing cause so much of that's done in photoshop and adding artificial sunlight I swear.

My stuff way back. Haven't done anything notable in years.

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/82108406@N05/

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member

Someone stole my camera and all my beautiful analog lenses, years ago. :(

Never really invested back into it.

I searched so hard to get some of those analog and they took such unique pictures.

Someone stole my camera and all my beautiful analog lenses, years ago. :(

Never really invested back into it.

I searched so hard to get some of those analog and they took such unique pictures.
Well that explains the look of everything. Thought you messed around with everything in photoshop either too much or just didn't nail focus. Do you have anything resembling a price point if you were to start back up?

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Well that explains the look of everything. Thought you messed around with everything in photoshop either too much or just didn't nail focus. Do you have anything resembling a price point if you were to start back up?

Probably between 1k-1.5k.

I love the uniqueness film lenses give their photos. The only editing they have had are slight color balance tweaks.

Probably between 1k-1.5k.

I love the uniqueness film lenses give their photos. The only editing they have had are slight color balance tweaks.
Depending on what sensor size you want you could get a nice camera body for that budget though I know next to nothing about film lenses and as of right now I'm not looking to deal with that sort of thing.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Depending on what sensor size you want you could get a nice camera body for that budget though I know next to nothing about film lenses and as of right now I'm not looking to deal with that sort of thing.

I actually was using a super cheap body Pentax K10D

It cost me $250 back in 2012. People never talk about Pentax but they are goddamn rock solid.

The camera didn't really have any special features or anything. And using film lenses I manually focused everything anyways.

I actually was using a super cheap body Pentax K10D

It cost me $250 back in 2012. People never talk about Pentax but they are goddamn rock solid.

The camera didn't really have any special features or anything. And using film lenses I manually focused everything anyways.
I heard Pentax is great. I saw an Asian woman in Times Square using one a couple of weeks ago. I probably never bothered cause it's probably a pain to find a deal on third party lenses for that mount.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I heard Pentax is great. I saw an Asian woman in Times Square using one a couple of weeks ago. I probably never bothered cause it's probably a pain to find a deal on third party lenses for that mount.

I mean all you need is an adapter and you can use Cannon lenses et al. Adapter probably costs like $10.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think I have the patience for film.

I started my journey into photography with analog and film lenses et al. I can see how going fromm digital -> manual would be a little overwhelming.

I did do tons of research into each and every lens I bought though. I never really got a good telescopic analog lens.

Jhoan

Man Ace Bar on 5th between A and B is a dope place. Skee ball, pool, and pinball is the package. Will be back on a date in the future.

kooplar

Hello NYCgaf!

How old are you? 24
What is your occupation? Software developer
What is your ethnicity/ethnic origin? Latino
What part of the city do you reside in?
Manhattan - Lenox Hill
How long have you lived in the city (native, moved here, etc.)?
Moved here a week ago
If you moved to the city, where are you originally from?
Born and raised in California, then moved to
Mexico
What is your living situation like e.g. roommates, family, alone, or with your significant other?
Living alone for now :)
Can you name a spot/place/event in the city that people haven’t checked out but should?
No idea
Anything else that's on your mind?
I should have brought better walking shoes

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I can't find the info online, when does the Tribute in Light officially go on? I know they had a test today, but I missed it.

Man Ace Bar on 5th between A and B is a dope place. Skee ball, pool, and pinball is the package. Will be back on a date in the future.

I randomly went to that place once and it was great. Really chilled place.

We'll be the judge of that.

I also cut my own hair too.
nice! any pics?

i put it as my avatar: (my hair was flat and straight until a year ago. it just starting curling on it's own after i starting using another brand of shampoo... weird =/
gUeXl62l.png

i got back an hour ago and it was pretty fun. I found out the second year med student i'm talking to is 27 =) so it's a bit more in reach. (i thought she was 22)

i took a small vid of her demonstrating the keyboard in her room for me but i don't know how to post it =)

anyways, it was fun to chill with her and her friends. i'll prob be going down to Brooklyn regularly now.

nice! any pics?

i put it as my avatar: (my hair was flat and straight until a year ago. it just starting curling on it's own after i starting using another brand of shampoo... weird =/
gUeXl62l.png

i got back an hour ago and it was pretty fun. I found out the second year med student i'm talking to is 27 =) so it's a bit more in reach. (i thought she was 22)

i took a small vid of her demonstrating the keyboard in her room for me but i don't know how to post it =)

anyways, it was fun to chill with her and her friends. i'll prob be going down to Brooklyn regularly now.
Good that you met someone nice.

Jhoan

kooplar said:
Hello NYCgaf!

How old are you? 24
What is your occupation? Software developer
What is your ethnicity/ethnic origin? Latino
What part of the city do you reside in?
Manhattan - Lenox Hill
How long have you lived in the city (native, moved here, etc.)?
Moved here a week ago
If you moved to the city, where are you originally from?
Born and raised in California, then moved to
Mexico
What is your living situation like e.g. roommates, family, alone, or with your significant other?
Living alone for now :)
Can you name a spot/place/event in the city that people haven’t checked out but should?
No idea
Anything else that's on your mind?
I should have brought better walking shoes
¡Que bien ver otro Latino que se mudó a la ciudad! I'm noticing that NYC is courting many software developers from the west coast. Since you live in Lenox Hill, you're in a perfect point to walk all over Manhattan. Winter makes people loathe the city but the holiday shops that pop up around Union Square and Bryant Park are pretty damn cool. I'm sure you'll adjust to the city well.

I can't find the info online, when does the Tribute in Light officially go on? I know they had a test today, but I missed it.

I randomly went to that place once and it was great. Really chilled place.
The lights go on at sunset on 9/11 until sunrise of 9/12. Source: http://www.chiff.com/home_life/holiday/september-11.htm
Chilled isn't how I'd usually describe Ace Bar, often it's way too packed.
When I was there last night (6:45ish-10:20ish), it was pretty empty initially but got crowded by around 7:30pm since a big group of college aged kids came in like a conga line. I think it's better than Fat Cat. I was there for a Games For Change volunteer thank you meetup which meant free drinks on their tab and pizza until 8pm which I graciously took advantage of. Had an Ace Honey Cider that was way too sweet for my tastes.

It seems like the best time to go is between 4pm-7pm to at least get a few games of pool in. I realized that it's near Mary O's which hosts Drink N Draw NYC every second Wednesday so I'll be back in the area next week. I never noticed UCB East either until I passed by it during the day yesterday.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Chilled isn't how I'd usually describe Ace Bar, often it's way too packed.

We went there a lot during law school. Was usually a zoo, which is fine during school... I would imagine it's a bit crazy for a date. Everyone needs a good date bar though. My buddy swears by Brooklyn Crab and Royal Palms (Shuffleboard) if you are BK-friendly. I haven't been on a first date in years so I have no idea how they would fair.

Top Bottom