• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

We went there a lot during law school. Was usually a zoo, which is fine during school... I would imagine it's a bit crazy for a date. Everyone needs a good date bar though. My buddy swears by Brooklyn Crab and Royal Palms (Shuffleboard) if you are BK-friendly. I haven't been on a first date in years so I have no idea how they would fair.

Royal Palms is arguably the best date spot, if you don't mind going out to Brooklyn.

GiJoccin

Royal Palms is arguably the best date spot, if you don't mind going out to Brooklyn.

ehhhhh i checked out that spot and it was way too crowded + loud to get in a game of shuffleboard/conversation, im also not a fan of huge spaces in general. i'd rather go there with a group of friends than on a date

my fav date spot is amor y amargo on a weekday, ridiculous cocktails and its quiet so you can have a conversation, plus you're in the east village, so you can literally do anything you want

Lulubop

ehhhhh i checked out that spot and it was way too crowded + loud to get in a game of shuffleboard/conversation, im also not a fan of huge spaces in general. i'd rather go there with a group of friends than on a date

my fav date spot is amor y amargo on a weekday, ridiculous cocktails and its quiet so you can have a conversation, plus you're in the east village, so you can literally do anything you want

I never been then, looks cool.

I think my new spot is the wayland, only because I live like two blocks away. On the real though, it's a really nice bar and usually has live music.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I don't remember if we met, but I was there. I was the one kicking ass in Connect Four and winning in The Resistance.

Jhoan

Wait the last two times... were you at the board games bar meet-up?

Did we meet then?

He looked like the Colombian version of Steven Spielberg if Spielberg was 35 years younger. I'm not quite sure if you guys got acquainted since a bunch of us were playing The Resistance in the middle section of the tables but he stayed until the very end.

I'll keep Amor y Amargo and The Wayland in mind for future reference.. I remember I had an Indian Winter at Mayahuel on a date a few years ago which was damn good.

These days I stick to parks for dates and have developed a bit a soft spot for Hudson Yards Park mostly because there aren't any tourists around there like at The Highline and it's pretty chill. I've been trying to find an excuse to go back to The Pit to catch a live show but haven't.

Penguin

He looked like the Colombian version of Steven Spielberg if Spielberg was 35 years younger. I'm not quite sure if you guys got acquainted since a bunch of us were playing The Resistance in the middle section of the tables but he stayed until the very end.

I'll keep Amor y Amargo and The Wayland in mind for future reference.. I remember I had an Indian Winter at Mayahuel on a date a few years ago which was damn good.

These days I stick to parks for dates and have developed a bit a soft spot for Hudson Yards Park mostly because there aren't any tourists around there like at The Highline and it's pretty chill. I've been trying to find an excuse to go back to The Pit to catch a live show but haven't.

I don't remember if we met, but I was there. I was the one kicking ass in Connect Four and winning in The Resistance.

Ahh good to know

I'll keep an eye out for him at the next one

I think we were at the other side of the table playing Cards Against Humanity

The latecomers table.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
It's a bit chilly today in NYC, I need to get a jacket when I can.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Lol, so I'm on the 49th street platform and some homeless dude is walking around with his dick out.

Some lady is incredibly pissed trying to get the cops to come out, but those little help coms they have set up suck. There is a crowd gathering.

Edit:

Lol, now people asked her why she even cared, she was visibly upset, and she went on a "Well it may not seem like a big deal to you, blah blah blah" tirade.

Jhoan

Brooklyn brehs, I'm at Eastern Parkway by the 2/3 train and have a lot of time to spare until I meet with my boss at 5:30pm in Hell's Kitchen. What do you guys recommend I do before heading into Manhattan? I'm gonna walk around in a few mins and head to the public library. Was recommended a small coffee shop next to this Starbucks I'm at now. Definitely looking to sketch a bunch of peeps while I'm in the area.

Penguin

Brooklyn brehs, I'm at Eastern Parkway by the 2/3 train and have a lot of time to spare until I meet with my boss at 5:30pm in Hell's Kitchen. What do you guys recommend I do before heading into Manhattan? I'm gonna walk around in a few mins and head to the public library. Was recommended a small coffee shop next to this Starbucks I'm at now. Definitely looking to sketch a bunch of peeps while I'm in the area.

I mean Museum is right there

Wander through Prospect Park

If you can take in Burger 67 (it's a bit of a walk)

Also, my NYCC badge came in yesterday! Woo! 8 years and counting

Jhoan

I mean Museum is right there

Wander through Prospect Park

If you can take in Burger 67 (it's a bit of a walk)

Also, my NYCC badge came in yesterday! Woo! 8 years and counting
Hahaha, that's true about the museum and Prospect Park. I have a bag of cold leftover Chinese food from last night so anywhere where there's a microwave around here would be great.

I'm lugging some serious hardware in my bag in the form of my laptop, a USB keyboard, a USB mouse, my Wacom tablet, and some gym pants. I'm gonna charge my phone for a bit, bust out the laptop and will mosey over to Prospect Park since it's been quite some time since I've been there. Will also look into Burger 67 for lunch.

And nice! It's going to be 6 years working behind the scenes for me. I was searching through Instagram and saw that The Walking Dead is gracing the badges yet again for the fifth year in a row. I mean AMC did pay damn good money for it and the SDCC badges had TWD so not surprising.

Penguin

Hahaha, that's true about the museum and Prospect Park. I have a bag of cold leftover Chinese food from last night so anywhere where there's a microwave around here would be great.

I'm lugging some serious hardware in my bag in the form of my laptop, a USB keyboard, a USB mouse, my Wacom tablet, and some gym pants. I'm gonna charge my phone for a bit, bust out the laptop and will mosey over to Prospect Park since it's been quite some time since I've been there. Will also look into Burger 67 for lunch.

And nice! It's going to be 6 years working behind the scenes for me. I was searching through Instagram and saw that The Walking Dead is gracing the badges yet again for the fifth year in a row. I mean AMC did pay damn good money for it and the SDCC badges had TWD so not surprising.

I'm SO sick of the Walking Dead badges though

It just lacks any spark these days

Jhoan

I'm SO sick of the Walking Dead badges though

It just lacks any spark these days
Blame capitalism. To the highest bidder goes the spoils of putting their product first and foremost in front of the eyeballs of 150K+ people for who knows how many years. I remember in 2011 or 2012, some badges had art from TWD comics which were much cooler so it would have been nice to see that stuff.

I just realized that the Botanic Garden is down the street from here! Sweet! Looked into 67 Burger and it is indeed a bit of a trek but I'm in tourist mode out here so anything goes as long as it doesn't break my wallet for the the rest of the month.

Jhoan

This is what I've done in the couple of hours of my life that I'm still spending in this Starbucks. I'm gonna head out soon and start taking some area sights in. The girl and her friend that I sketched I are still here funny enough.
030FaFS.jpg

Jhoan

Man the Botanic Garden is beautiful during this season. Last time I was here was during the dead of Winter in February and there was nary a soul. So glad it's a nice day today.

Kisaya

Man the Botanic Garden is beautiful during this season. Last time I was here was during the dead of Winter in February and there was nary a soul. So glad it's a nice day today.

I've heard pretty good things about the Brooklyn Botanic Garden being awesome during the winter time :0 wish I had the chance to see for myself.

Jhoan

I've heard pretty good things about the Brooklyn Botanic Garden being awesome during the winter time :0 wish I had the chance to see for myself.
I can see why it would be cool during the Winter. There was something eerily serene about walking through it in the dead of Winter while dressed business casual and wearing shoes/hearing my footsteps echo. I overheard a tour guide mentioning Sakura Matsuri and how it attracts 20,000,people when the huge row of cherry blossoms bloom.

Not sure if I'll be able to squeeze in 67 Burger and revisit Prospect Park during this outing since I gotta head back to Manhattan around 4pmish to give myself an hour to get to 54th street. However, I'll definitely be back in the area sooner than I think as probably next week. Next time I'll be in Brooklyn it's going to be next Sunday to volunteer at Taste WG.

Kisaya

I can see why it would be cool during the Winter. There was something eerily serene about walking through it in the dead of Winter while dressed business casual and wearing shoes/hearing my footsteps echo. I overheard a tour guide mentioning Sakura Matsuri and how it attracts 20,000,people when the huge row of cherry blossoms bloom.

I personally hate Sakura Matsuri. Too many people for my taste plus they turned it into an anime/cosplay gathering rather than a Japanese cultural event. It was infuriating to see cosplayers shake the shit out of the trees so they can get the falling cherry blossoms petals effect in their photos. I usually try to go a week before the festival to enjoy the cherry blossom trees myself because they really are a beautiful sight.

Jhoan

I personally hate Sakura Matsuri. Too many people for my taste plus they turned it into an anime/cosplay gathering rather than a Japanese cultural event. It was infuriating to see cosplayers shake the shit out of the trees so they can get the falling cherry blossoms petals effect in their photos. I usually try to go a week before the festival to enjoy the cherry blossom trees myself because they really are a beautiful sight.
I have a ton of con friends on Facebook that like to attend that festival. I also heard that it attracts its fair share of weaboos. It's a shame to hear that cosplayers shake the trees. There's signs everywhere that say not to pick the fruits/vegetables or fudge with the the trees but humans are gonna be humans and disregard the rules. I think there's a few cherry blossoms that bloom every spring around the corner from my block. I took a bunch of pics that I'll post at some point.
tomorrow is 90, PLEASE be the last hot day this year

I got too many full sleeves that need to be worn
The sun be like

I need to get my lazy ass back into the gym. Also planning on attending Drink N Draw NYC in the East Village tonight so I'll be soaking up that sun. There's a chance of isolated showers which is annoying. I got into a subway car sans AC last night on the uptown 1 train and dealt with it like a boss. My car had a modest amount of people but the adjacent two cars were crowded from what I heard as a result.

that's nice picture
Thanks! They left several later after I posted that picture so it was a high time for me to leave as well.

All this talk of NYCC, I had a bit of a nightmare last night where I was denied a work shirt because Staff noticed I had seemingly got the work shirts before ever having registered and couldn't work the show (I think a friend gave them to me in said nightmare). I don't know if there's such thing as PTSD from having worked at conventions but I'm pretty sure there will be more dreams and nightmares to come leading up to NYCC.

So some person assaulted an MTA officer on the J train. I was on the train and everybody panicked can came rushing towards me yelling me to go to the next train car. I think people thought there was a fire

I thought there was someone harming people (unfortunately that's the first thing you think of today) but it was nothing.

Was 30 minutes late though

Top Bottom