• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Penguin

So I'm planning on moving to New York in January (I know, probably not a great time to move)

Any suggestions for trying to find a place in manhattan?

Should I just stick with the usual apartments.com/craigslist?

Would prefer to live in manhattan, I know that'll make it extra expensive

Super excited about it though!

Why would you prefer to live in Manhattan?

Jhoan

Why would you prefer to live in Manhattan?
Because of reasons. Mainly because Manhattan is the central point to the rest of the borughs. Also because everything one needs is in Manhattan. I mainly like The Bronx because of the Target in Marble Hill that I like to frequent; Queens and Brooklyn are gentrifying havens but loaded with culture and urban charm that Manhattan don't got; Staten Island is... What's Staten Island again?

On another note, Taste WG was a lot of fun. I'm exhausted but welcomed the manual labor of breaking down tables and lifting stuff. Gonna hang around East River Park for a bit longer before taking the L back up home. The view of Manhattan is amazing! Too bad it's still a sad reminder that it's gentrified to oblivion what with all the fancy condos and swanky pads.

Jhoan

Walking along the Williamsburg waterfront, I was both fascinated and terrified by the magnitude of gentrification. I saw the hotel with the public rooftop bar that GK86 posted about a page ago. It was stunning to look at as I was in awe by the architecture of it.

In Greenpoint now and I'm planning to cross the Pulaski Bridge into LIC, then walk over to the 59th St. Bridge to cross back into Manhattan and take the bus or the 1 train up home since I've never crossed it by foot. The steps of the church I'm sitting on now on Manhattan Ave and Milton St is beautiful in the times that I've been to the Brooklyn Expo Center. It's the St. Anthony-St. Alphonsus Roman Catholic Church which it says was founded in 1973.Plus there's a laundromat down the street that has 4 pinballs which was cool. Will take a pic or two then get moving.

Is...is hoodie season back in NYC?

Can it be?
Did the African American Parade in pants, thought I was going to fucking die cause I brought no water.
Because of reasons. Mainly because Manhattan is the central point to the rest of the borughs. Also because everything one needs is in Manhattan. I mainly like The Bronx because of the Target in Marble Hill that I like to frequent; Queens and Brooklyn are gentrifying havens but loaded with culture and urban charm that Manhattan don't got; Staten Island is... What's Staten Island again?

On another note, Taste WG was a lot of fun. I'm exhausted but welcomed the manual labor of breaking down tables and lifting stuff. Gonna hang around East River Park for a bit longer before taking the L back up home. The view of Manhattan is amazing! Too bad it's still a sad reminder that it's gentrified to oblivion what with all the fancy condos and swanky pads.
I've been to Staten Island once for a work assignment, I see no reason to go there.

In Greenpoint now and I'm planning to cross the Pulaski Bridge into LIC, then walk over to the 59th St. Bridge to cross back into Manhattan and take the bus or the 1 train up home since I've never crossed it by foot. The steps of the church I'm sitting on now on Manhattan Ave and Milton St is beautiful in the times that I've been to the Brooklyn Expo Center. It's the St. Anthony-St. Alphonsus Roman Catholic Church which it says was founded in 1973.Plus there's a laundromat down the street that has 4 pinballs which was cool. Will take a pic or two then get moving.

This is a good walk. The pulaski bridge was were I was watching that fancy Stonehenge sunset this summer.

Heya again NYC gaf, I posted about moving into queens a few months back. I got a 1BR in Sunnyside. it's really awesome, food for days.

Walking along the Williamsburg waterfront, I was both fascinated and terrified by the magnitude of gentrification. I saw the hotel with the public rooftop bar that GK86 posted about a page ago. It was stunning to look at as I was in awe by the architecture of it.

I love walking over the Queensboro bridge. Sometimes I do a "city hike" where I start from Astoria and make my way to LIC then cross the bridge and back again. Takes about 2-3 hours and I get a good workout from it.

¡HarlequinPanic!;217395533 said:
This is a good walk. The pulaski bridge was were I was watching that fancy Stonehenge sunset this summer.

Heya again NYC gaf, I posted about moving into queens a few months back. I got a 1BR in Sunnyside. it's really awesome, food for days.

Sunnyside rules! I think its one of the most affordable and nice neighborhoods left in the city. The commute to the city is pretty quick as well since the 7 is relatively reliable. I've noticed a lot of young people starting to move here in the past few years.

Theres a Pelicana (Korean fried chicken) on 47th and Greenpoint that opened recently and its awesome.

Did the African American Parade in pants, thought I was going to fucking die cause I brought no water.

I spoke too soon :p Sunday was pretty warm.

So I live and work on 7th Avenue near 23 street. I'm trying to figure out a place to preorder Persona 5 such that I'll be able to pick it up at midnight.

What stores are open 24 hours?

ev0

So I live and work on 7th Avenue near 23 street. I'm trying to figure out a place to preorder Persona 5 such that I'll be able to pick it up at midnight.

Some Gamestops might be having midnight releases for it. Hard to say.

I doubt any Best Buys will BUT the Union Square Best Buy is 24hours and you should be able to pick it up at midnight. And its not too far from you.

Also being February, no idea if we'll get any crazy weather that may curtail ant of these plans

Lulubop

Best Buy on Union is only place I would know. Doubt GS gonna have midnight releases for Persona

Probably the GameStop at 33rd and 6th. It's a big store that has done midnight launches pretty recently.

Jhoan

I've been to Staten Island once for a work assignment, I see no reason to go there.
There is the Staten Island Zoo, some solid restaurants, and art place or two but otherwise, not much of an active nightlife.

¡HarlequinPanic!;217395533 said:

As I'll explain below, I was surprised by how short the bridge was, I was damn near tempted to jump over the rail of the shed to mosey around to that balcony area but I got spooked when I saw two DOT dudes approaching so I kept walking. I loved view of the boatyards and the esplanade into Brooklyn.
I love walking over the Queensboro bridge. Sometimes I do a "city hike" where I start from Astoria and make my way to LIC then cross the bridge and back again. Takes about 2-3 hours and I get a good workout from it.

Sunnyside rules! I think its one of the most affordable and nice neighborhoods left in the city. The commute to the city is pretty quick as well since the 7 is relatively reliable. I've noticed a lot of young people starting to move here in the past few years.

Theres a Pelicana (Korean fried chicken) on 47th and Greenpoint that opened recently and its awesome.

I spoke too soon :p Sunday was pretty warm.
The Queensboro bridge has got to be the oddest bridge I've crossed in the city because I found the openings into the street every several feet jarring as I got the morbid feeling that the was closed many times due to people committing suicide and it didn't have much of a fancy fanfare plaque ala the Williamsburg and Manhattan bridges. Yet I enjoyed it immensely and didn't feel the turbulent shake that I'll feel on the GW. The view of Manhattan and Roosevelt Island at 3AM was stunning.

Funny that you mention that because after crossing the Pulaski Bridge into Queens, I got the curiosity to walk around LIC and pieced together all the stops that I had only been to underground. I ended up passing by the DOT building, LaGuardia Community Community, getting my mind blown by the majesty that is the NY State Supreme Court, and walked way the hell north along the 7 train tracks to Greenpoint Ave on 48th street where the road started to fork before deciding to do a 180 to go cross the Queensboro.

I was in awe by the mix of Irish bars, Asian restaurants, and Latin American restaurants so Queens lives up to being diverse every damn block. I wanted to explore more Sunnyside but given that it was so late, I had to finally quell my curiosity to go further. The Irish Bars look pretty interesting.
That laundromat has FAR more than 4 pinball machines... check it out next time you're in the neighb.
That's gotta be one of the more peculiar things that one just doesn't find in Manhattan

Ended up crossing the Pulaski Bridge but not before sketching a woman sitting outside the steps of the building on the corner of Eagle Street across the street from the said bridge. I saw some really cool paintings in a bar at Greenpoint along the way. It was Habitat Bar and the artist was Bradley Hames with some surreal animal paintings.

The bridge was surprisingly short and reminded me of crossing into South Boston but I liked it since it had a nice sloping arc to it. Saw a few peeps set up along the one of the stairs doing some kind of a photo shoot. I ended up sketching a woman who was sitting outside the building across the street from from the bridge mostly because of the VALID graffiti that was written on the side of it.

I was in absolute awe piecing together all the streets I've only passed by train. There was something meditative/surreal about walking around at 2AM on a Monday morning. When I got back to the Manhattan side, I saw a drunk guitarist who caught my attention outside of one of the Roosevelt Island tram entrance benches. I sketched him and watched as he would occasionally take a swig of his big bottle of Budweiser. There's so many fascinating people to be found in the city at all times. Ended up getting home at about 5:30am. There's so much more I want to see of Queens before it gets colder. If I had it any other way, I would be living in Queens since it's such a fantastic melting pot of cultures; Native Speaker by Chang Rae Lee was like a bit of a love letter to Queens.

Satsuya K. said:
I am planning to visit the city for five or more days for inspiration for a story I'm writing. What are the best places to go to?
Best places is highly subjective since we all have our biases and favorite places. The OP has a good amount of locations in every borough. My suggestion would be to try to spend a little bit of time in each borough for inspiration per day. You can get a lot out of being in a neighborhood park/cafe and watching people go about their daily lives. Flushing, Washington Heights, Williamsburg, Fordham, Chinatown, and Astoria are a few examples on places to go check out.

Penguin said:
Probably a long-shot, but anyone interested in seeing Magnificent 7 tonight at 42nd?
If it was a matinee, I would have considered it. Regular priced ticket is making me think twice. I initially thought it was a Netflix exclusive movie but then realized that it was wide release movie when I saw the Chris Pratt with Colbert the other day.

Penguin

If it was a matinee, I would have considered it. Regular priced ticket is making me think twice. I initially thought it was a Netflix exclusive movie but then realized that it was wide release movie when I saw the Chris Pratt with Colbert the other day.

Oh no it was a free pass for an advanced screener

But not gonna go if no one is around

Lulubop

What's good, what's good, what's good!? Almost the big day.

I been on a Korean Fried chicken kick lately. Baka on St Marks is the best I've had but yo, Bonchan's fries are fucking god tier.

Jhoan

Ahh didn't see before left work
Went to Pony Bar
Walked around
Went to Atlantic Terminal then home
But yeah if usually asking probably a free movie screening need a +1 for

Saturday!
That's good to know since I need to remember that you write for a website on the side and the Media hookup. I got a bit lazy but I did get ready by 6. How was the Pony Bar event?

Since I don't want to triple post in the meetup thread, would someone kindly post in the thread to give it a bump? I do have a few updates I wanted to make. I noticed a bunch of bars along Grand street when I was in Williamsburg last night and made a note of them. The place I went to for the volunteer thank you party was called Lighthouse BK which wasn't too far from the Metropolitan ave strip.

Nah, that's Queens.

I can see the logic there though. If you're in Manhattan you can get pretty much anywhere in the city easily, especially if you live anywhere near midtown.

What is so good about Queens? That is the only one I barely checked out and I actually want to move there eventually since Manhattan is expensive and I don't like the bronx that much. Is living in queens comparable to the bronx?

What is so good about Queens? That is the only one I barely checked out and I actually want to move there eventually since Manhattan is expensive and I don't like the bronx that much. Is living in queens comparable to the bronx?
Queens is pretty much the cool part of Long Island. Some parts of Brookly is pretty much "everyone on your block is your neighbor cause they love to smoke and shit talk in front of your window while you're cooking and eating dinner.

not a fan of queens at all, move to BK, Fort Greene/Clinton Hill area in particular I would recommend

Mega

Banned
Back to Modern Pinball on Friday after work. I'm hooked!

vlQJ8HT.jpg
kTMYUvl.jpg

Mega

Banned
hey mega, is that place in brooklyn? that is awesome.

also is there any good retro game store in brooklyn by Williamsburg?
i might stop by Brooklyn today near there.

It's in Manhattan, 3rd Ave between 27 and 28.

I don't know squat about Williamsburg! There's a good retro game store in my area, Gotham City Games! Small but pretty nice.

Serpico99

Move to the West Village. It's so cheap there. Quite the steal. Plus it's underrated so it's best to get in now before everyone else jumps on this bandwagon.
You will just need 10 roommates :)

Move to the West Village. It's so cheap there. Quite the steal. Plus it's underrated so it's best to get in now before everyone else jumps on this bandwagon.
You will just need 10 roommates :)
I couldn't handle that many roommates, I want to murder the two I have now

Top Bottom