• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

I say leave. You can easily afford it with $900 rent unless you're deep in debt.

Affordability isn't an issue; I don't have any debt and about $5,000 in savings atm.

I just know that after I move, I'm going to miss work being a ten minute walk away, as opposed to a 35-40 minute train ride + walking time. It's also really cool to be right in the middle of Manhattan, although I never really go out and take advantage of it.

Edit: On the other hand, it's a direct train, so it would be easy enough to just use it as 3DS playing time.

Affordability isn't an issue; I don't have any debt and about $5,000 in savings atm.

I just know that after I move, I'm going to miss work being a ten minute walk away, as opposed to a 35-40 minute train ride + walking time. It's also really cool to be right in the middle of Manhattan, although I never really go out and take advantage of it.

The mental strain of that commute isn't something to be taken lightly. I've been able to bike to work for about a year and it's changed my life.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

I personally feel that commutes are soul crushing, or rather, they are for me. I'd prefer to pay more for a studio and have a walk to work than pay half for a mortgage on a home in NJ with a 45 min commute.

How close do most of you guys live to your workplace?

A lot of my coworkers live in Brooklyn or similar—no one there can afford living right in Manhattan—but they still have 40-ish minute commutes on the subway. My logic for looking at NJ is that since my work is near Penn Station, NJTransit would be just as fast and actually more pleasant overall.

A lot of my coworkers live in Brooklyn or similar—no one there can afford living right in Manhattan—but they still have 40-ish minute commutes on the subway. My logic for looking at NJ is that since my work is near Penn Station, NJTransit would be just as fast and actually more pleasant overall.
I live in Brooklyn and work in Times Square.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

If you work near Penn Station then yeah, living in NJ would make sense. I dated a co-worker who lived in Brooklyn while I lived in NJ. It would take her 10 mins longer to get to our office, in Manhattan, on the F train than it would for me to hop on a van/bus.

The mental strain of that commute isn't something to be taken lightly. I've been able to bike to work for about a year and it's changed my life.
Dude stay with grandma and save some money. Build up a nice nest egg then move somewhere nice. Even if you do this for only a year you'll build up a good amount of savings. This is what I did and the money I saved while living at home has massively come in handy.
I work at a VR company nearby.
You guys need any help in the PR/comms department? I'm in need of a gig.

kooplar

Gaf, I finally got my apartment! Last week was crazy, an apartment management company canceled my lease the very last minute (supposibly the apartment was not even up for rent as the owner decided to do renovations) so I became homeless!

I scrambled with all my luggage to pod51 hotel after much googling. I stayed there for a night then booked 3 days at an airbnb (all the while running from lunch breaks dragging luggage from place to place). Last Friday I finally signed a lease for an apartment (only 4 blocks from work!) and even though I'm sleeping on the floor right now it feels so good!

If anything I made a friend with the airbnb host. We need another gaf reunion so I can get drunk and forget all this bs lol.

Gaf, I finally got my apartment! Last week was crazy, an apartment management company canceled my lease the very last minute (supposibly the apartment was not even up for rent as the owner decided to do renovations) so I became homeless!

Geez, that sounds scary! At least everything worked out okay.

Penguin

High likelihood I switch jobs this year, so might want to hurry ;)

Wednesdays are always good since I like to get out to Midtown Comics anyhow

Or Friday since at this point no one is in office to really notice if take a long lunch (Clearly not this week since NYCC)

I scrambled with all my luggage to pod51 hotel after much googling. I stayed there for a night then booked 3 days at an airbnb (all the while running from lunch breaks dragging luggage from place to place). Last Friday I finally signed a lease for an apartment (only 4 blocks from work!) and even though I'm sleeping on the floor right now it feels so good!

If anything I made a friend with the airbnb host. We need another gaf reunion so I can get drunk and forget all this bs lol.

WOOO!
Go you!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Live in Brooklyn, work downtown Manhattan. Commute is probably 35 ish minutes door to door. I love my commute because it's the only chance I have to read, really. I have some coworkers who have 2+ hour commutes - yes, TWO HOURS EACH WAY. Bless their souls. One buddy of mine lives in Philly and commutes to Manhattan each day.

I only have a problem with living in NJ if the person is young. I don't think socializing is as easy living in NJ. At least that's what my NJ friends bitch about - no one wants to go to Jersey, even if the actual time to get there is the same as it is to get to, say, Prospect Heights.

Live in Brooklyn, work downtown Manhattan. Commute is probably 35 ish minutes door to door. I love my commute because it's the only chance I have to read, really. I have some coworkers who have 2+ hour commutes - yes, TWO HOURS EACH WAY. Bless their souls. One buddy of mine lives in Philly and commutes to Manhattan each day.

I only have a problem with living in NJ if the person is young. I don't think socializing is as easy living in NJ. At least that's what my NJ friends bitch about - no one wants to go to Jersey, even if the actual time to get there is the same as it is to get to, say, Prospect Heights.
I don't think I even want to date a woman in Jersey. I ain't driving there.

Yeah, that's my other worry. I don't really have any friends in nyc yet but I'd like to.

But I can't really invite friends over to my grandmother's apartment either, so it's not really like my current situation is much better in that respect. And this Rahway place would be right by the train station, on a direct line into Penn with two trains per hour. And I wouldn't have to deal with having a roommate or anything like that.

This.

My friend who lives in Hoboken has to come out to Brooklyn or Manhattan to do anything.

The only time I go to Jersey is a girl or family.

I had this thing with a girl in Hoboken. She was on the path but it still sucked.

(Hoboken's pretty cool for Jersey if it had the subway, PATH isn't the same)
I remember one month I had to go from Long Island to Jersey and back on two separate occasions, once for a date the other to hang out with a friend. I think the amount of trains and duration of that made me sick. It's just something I have no intention on doing again.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I had this thing with a girl in Hoboken. She was on the path but it still sucked.

(Hoboken's pretty cool for Jersey if it had the subway, PATH isn't the same)

That line almost existed but Christie didn't want to pay his end so it fell apart.

¡HarlequinPanic!;218931566 said:
No NYCC Here, but anyone planning on going to any of the after parties listed in the NYCC topic?

I might hit one or two up.

Penguin

About 55 mins door-to-door why trying to find a new place or a new job or both.

And to make it even better, my train station shut down this morning until the spring.. which means will be extended slightly.

Anyone going to NYCC?
I'll be there Thurs-Sun

No NYCC Here, but anyone planning on going to any of the after parties listed in the NYCC topic?

I wanna hit up some after parties, but nothing has grabbed me.

i'd stay with grandma and save up.

This is probably what I should do. I just miss having more independence... my grandmother is great but she's very particular about certain things. She gets worried if I don't come home on time, wants to eat dinner together, etc.

Also, I like my job a lot and want to stay for a while, but they're also a very small company and so I don't see my pay increasing substantially.

This is probably what I should do. I just miss having more independence... my grandmother is great but she's very particular about certain things. She gets worried if I don't come home on time, wants to eat dinner together, etc.

Also, I like my job a lot and want to stay for a while, but they're also a very small company and so I don't see my pay increasing substantially.

since rent is free.. the 900 a month your saving makes you salary a bit more in the range of
someone making 52k having to pay monthly rent.

$900 X 12 months = 10,800 a year.

i think you're pretty ok to save some money and have decent situation.

if you move out... your earnings goes down to .

i would save that 10k plus food is about 300-400 a month which comes out to 3600-4800 a year.

i'd save for a year or two and put a down payment on a place to own.

If you're a single guy there are few things better than living in your own place but having to commute to and from Jersey would suck. Assuming you go out in the city at night I imagine it would be a pain to bring a girl home too. As much as I'd want to move out I think the best thing would be to hang out for a bit longer until you can afford something that makes more sense.

Pau

I thought I was the only one going on Thursday. My computer crashed when I was getting tickets and it's all I could get.
Our computers didn't even crash. We just got really unlucky. :( We even put Friday and Saturday but that's what we were given.

beat

I'm going all four days. And thanks, ¡HarlequinPanic!, I didn't even think to look for a specific NYCC topic.

Jhoan

Lulubop said:
How was that chicken tho?
giphy.gif

Nostalgic Windy said:
Have I posted in this thread ever? I don't think I have.

How old are you?

What is your occupation?

- Won't say for now.

What is your ethnicity/ethnic origin?

- Dominican

What part of the city do you reside in?

- Currently in Yonkers.

How long have you lived in the city (native, moved here, etc.)?

- Been in NYC since I was 6, though I'm currently in the suburbs as mentioned above.

If you moved to the city, where are you originally from?

- DR

What is your living situation like e.g. roommates, family, alone, or with your significant other?

- Parents, soon with roommate if things go well.

Can you name a spot/place/event in the city that people haven’t checked out but should?

- Nan Xiang Xiao Long Bao in Flushing, if it hasn't been mentioned. They got some dope soup dumplings.

Anything else that's on your mind?

- Nope!

I haven't been part of an official GAF meet-up since the MGS4 launch, although I ran into some people during that AMC Uncharted 3 event about five years back.
I see your tweets all the time on Twitter (I'm GeneYorkMorgan) and remember your former GAF name. I missed the MSG4 launch but remember lurking in that thread a lot since I didn't have a PS3. Also, my family is from Jarabacoa in the DR.

Visiting home until Oct 5. Aside from The Meadows, what's going on?
Wanted to reply to this but got sidetracked and put it off. Go check out The Met Breuer tomorrow ASAP since you wanted to check it out in the past. There's a Diane Arbus exhibition currently that I heard is great. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head otherwise aside from Society of Illustrators and I work for a yet to launch event company lol.

I'm semi-employed (read: freelance/sell stuff on eBay) which means I work from at home or any public computer. I started a new internship last week and everything is via coordinated via Slack with the occasional in person stuff for cons to go cover.

Nice! I'm going to be quite busy this weekend (see below) but as I mentioned in the last meetup thread, I'm volunteering at the NY Craft Beer Festival weekend after next so I'm willing to entertain something after I come out my shift on that Saturday night or Halloween weekend.

I had a full time faculty professor at Hunter that commuted to the city from Philly to teach. He said that he would stay at his friend's apartment who lived in the city and commuted to Philly while she crashed at his place to teach at said city and would go back in the weekends.

I also had a professor at BMCC who came down from Buffalo to teach and would fly back in the weekends.
Anyone going to NYCC?
I'm working at the Autographing area all four days in the afternoon and will be found either roaming the Show Floor in the AM, lining up for merch, at Artist Alley, or picking up a shift. It's my 6th straight year working the show. Ask me anything. Will be there in the AM as well. I'm hard to miss considering the above group pic that David posted.

I'm probably gonna end up sitting it out personally since I never have much time considering the amount of stuff I'm carrying at the end of the day (usually swag or stuff I bought at booths). I usually hang out with my co-workers after a shift or still working. Usually end up at Skylight Diner or Tick Tick Diner as a yearly tradition. We'll see what happens this year.

On the topic of NYCC, I guess it would be good to get a Slack chat going for that to see what folks are doing throughout the show. There was a GAF chat during PAX East this year which worked out great.

Depends on what part, but according to google there's a way.
Yeah I was hired as a photographer for the TCS New York Marathon and the meet up time is redonkculous I have to be at a hotel in the area by 5 that Sunday morning. As long as the buses or trains don't stop running I should be fine, but I'm sure they're less frequent after a certain hour. Looks to be New York Ave and Battery Road.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah I was hired as a photographer for the TCS New York Marathon and the meet up time is redonkculous I have to be at a hotel in the area by 5 that Sunday morning. As long as the buses or trains don't stop running I should be fine, but I'm sure they're less frequent after a certain hour. Looks to be New York Ave and Battery Road.

Yea, it's like a 2 hour trip from Atlantic Terminal so you should be able to make it. If you wanted to take the ferry that's also an option.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
So I've actually been looking into Brooklyn for an apartment. Can anyone recommend some areas with a convenient commute to Union Square (I work there)

Top Bottom