• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

kuYuri

I see your tweets all the time on Twitter (I'm GeneYorkMorgan) and remember your former GAF name. I missed the MSG4 launch but remember lurking in that thread a lot since I didn't have a PS3. Also, my family is from Jarabacoa in the DR.

Ah, ironically, I've since left Twitter. It was the last social media related thing I ever had left after closing my Facebook and Instagram accounts and I recently stopped using it too. Don't know if I'll ever go back. I got sick of all the fake "friends" and such that I interacted with on there and it just drove me away. :/

Now I just try to focus on work, family, gaming, and traveling when I can.

Penguin

So I've actually been looking into Brooklyn for an apartment. Can anyone recommend some areas with a convenient commute to Union Square (I work there)

Most places honestly... most Brooklyn trains pass through Union Square

The L train in Williamsburg

The 4/5 in Prospect Heights/Flatbush

B/Q

Lots of options

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
So I've actually been looking into Brooklyn for an apartment. Can anyone recommend some areas with a convenient commute to Union Square (I work there)

Anywhere in Brooklyn, really. Your budget will determine where.

Jhoan

Ah, ironically, I've since left Twitter. It was the last social media related thing I ever had left after closing my Facebook and Instagram accounts and I recently stopped using it too. Don't know if I'll ever go back. I got sick of all the fake "friends" and such that I interacted with on there and it just drove me away. :/

Now I just try to focus on work, family, gaming, and traveling when I can.
I see, I respect that. I didn't see it but there was a South Park episode as recently as last week that focused on society's dependence of social media to the point where announcing deactivating one's Facebook is akin to death and how people end up returning to it.

No Fort Greene love? it's the GOAT area in BK
If I had a dollar for every time you mention how great Fort Greene is, I'd be rich. That neighborhood is pricey these days just like a good chunk of Brooklyn is. If you can give me a good reason to go out there, I would consider it in the future. I can only think of Pratt Institute to attend their annual Draw-A-Thon.
Union Pool was nice, be fun to live around there =)
Sure if you want to run to into Oscar Isaac going about his daily business.

I see, I respect that. I didn't see it but there was a South Park episode as recently as last week that focused on society's dependence of social media to the point where announcing deactivating one's Facebook is akin to death and how people end up returning to it.

If I had a dollar for every time you mention how great Fort Greene is, I'd be rich. That neighborhood is pricey these days just like a good chunk of Brooklyn is. If you can give me a good reason to go out there, I would consider it in the future. I can only think of Pratt Institute to attend their annual Draw-A-Thon.

Sure if you want to run to into Oscar Isaac going about his daily business.
Ever coming by NJ? maybe after NYCC, if you ever cross over the G.W. i'll take you out to a good korean place to eat.

man i'm so Jelly, some of you are going to NYCC =)

I

I'll keep mentioning it till it gets the love it deserves haha

It's pretty much yuppy central now, which means all the perks (cafes, restaurants, bars) that comes with.
Shoot! whenever i need info on places in the city, i'm going to ask you. CrocMother, you know everything that's around! that was a fine choice you picked that saved the latter half of the NYCGAF night =)

What year were you?
Hey fallengorn, i was class of 95. man! back then, it wasn't too bad but it was not that safe =P i do remember a few students getting mugged for their Jansports.

i hung out mainly by NYU, there was a pool hall called "Le Cue" that all the Tech, Stuy and Science people would hang out after school.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Hey fallengorn, i was class of 95. man! back then, it wasn't too bad but it was not that safe =P i do remember a few students getting mugged for their Jansports.
Ah, cool. I'm '99. You basically left and then I got in. I remember it being plenty sketchy at times. Friend was robbed at the Fulton St. stop.

You are the youngest-looking 40 year old.
not 40 yet, but thanks for the compliment Makai =)

return compliment: you're pretty good looking dude =) not sure if you can recall since you had a few drink by then, but remember that group, a cute blonde chick came up to us at the taco truck... the one that freakin took a bite out of my chicken taco? a few girls from her group kept eyeing you.

anyways, it was pretty chill to hang with you most of the night. you're awesome company.

He's a fucking Pillar Man.
is that a jojo reference?

Ah, cool. I'm '99. You basically left and then I got in. I remember it being plenty sketchy at times. Friend was robbed at the Fulton St. stop.
thanks sucks that happened to your friend. i usually walked with crowds my freshman year to decalb ave. station but by Junior year i was comfortable walking alone

gazele

Banned
What do you guys think of using a broker for finding an apartment?

Obviously I'd rather not use one as it costs extra money, but seeing as I'm moving to New York from across the country, I would definitely like to avoid get screwed over or scammed

Theoretically if I find a great apartment for 2,000 + a 10% brokers fee that would come out to an extra $200 per month

So if the 2,000 apartment is better than a $2,200 apartment I find myself then I could come out ahead or at least even, with less stress

What do you guys think of using a broker for finding an apartment?

Obviously I'd rather not use one as it costs extra money, but seeing as I'm moving to New York from across the country, I would definitely like to avoid get screwed over or scammed

Theoretically if I find a great apartment for 2,000 + a 10% brokers fee that would come out to an extra $200 per month

So if the 2,000 apartment is better than a $2,200 apartment I find myself then I could come out ahead or at least even, with less stress

I used a broker, couldn't be happier

The problem with finding a place yourself online is that many times by the time the apartment is listed it's already gone. With a broker I was able to look at my place before it was listed

not 40 yet, but thanks for the compliment Makai =)

return compliment: you're pretty good looking dude =) not sure if you can recall since you had a few drink by then, but remember that group, a cute blonde chick came up to us at the taco truck... the one that freakin took a bite out of my chicken taco? a few girls from her group kept eyeing you.

anyways, it was pretty chill to hang with you most of the night. you're awesome company.
Yeah makai could get the chicks.
Get a tinder, bring them chipotle and wine and dine them on your coupons and project cars money

I used a broker, couldn't be happier

The problem with finding a place yourself online is that many times by the time the apartment is listed it's already gone. With a broker I was able to look at my place before it was listed

Yeah, when I get my own place I'm just paying for a broker. Its just an added one-time cost. Worth avoiding the hastle. Its your home, should be worth the extra cash

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
If you want a cheap and damn good dinner tonight.

EaTnEds.jpg

Jhoan

Ever coming by NJ? maybe after NYCC, if you ever cross over the G.W. i'll take you out to a good korean place to eat.

man i'm so Jelly, some of you are going to NYCC =)

Only if I'm made to go visit my bro in Fairlawn for a family occasion, my wallet isn't destroyed from this weekend, and I don't get the con flu. Otherwise, Jersey is pretty much the other state outside my window until daylight savings again. On the other hand, the bus is fairly cheap but we'll see. If I had a license and a car, then for sure.

Edit: Not sure if setting up a date the week after NYCC is such a good idea. I'm about to find out the hard way.

Only if I'm made to go visit my bro in Fairlawn for a family occasion, my wallet isn't destroyed from this weekend, and I don't get the con flu. Otherwise, Jersey is pretty much the other state outside my window until daylight savings again. On the other hand, the bus is fairly cheap but we'll see. If I had a license and a car, then for sure.

Edit: Not sure if setting up a date the week after NYCC is such a good idea. I'm about to find out the hard way.
Con flu? I guess one can't be enclosed with that many sweaty people that shun deodorant for that many days and not get sick. I'm not really labeling nerds/geeks/whatever that way, but I've "heard" things.

You're the dating machine, hope all is turning out well

I don't think it clogs the thread at all, keep em coming, but I did find it little humorous when I asked you earlier about it you mentioned you didn't work for free lol

I don't think it clogs the thread at all, keep em coming, but I did find it little humorous when I asked you earlier about it you mentioned you didn't work for free lol
There's stuff I do for fun yes, but if you're requesting my services I would like to be paid. I'm more experienced than people think I am. Experience and gear is pretty much what you're paying for.

Top Bottom