• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

hoggert

They're great! I don't visit the thread as much as I should and really enjoying checking out the events you photograph.

They're great! I don't visit the thread as much as I should and really enjoying checking out the events you photograph.
Ok, I'll try to post more then, though it's just more me walking/standing around certain spots, these are the furthest things from events unless it's a parade I'm supposed to cover.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Are there any good pizza or Japanese (noodle shop would be awesome) near the Doughnut Plant? We're walking and we're tired of walking =P

Edit: We ended up going to NY Pizza Suprema. Amazing pizza.

I'm heading to NYC next week. I'm going to be checking out the SoHo--shopping with my gf, and the Upper West Side.

I'm looking at the UWS because I'm debating MBA programs in NYC. Is it a pain to get around? If I decide to pursue a MBA program in the area and I live like a 1 hour walk from campus will it be a pain relying on public transportation all the time?

I would want to live close to a nice gym (right now I could get an employee discount at Equinox), but the better ones are further away from the university.

Jhoan

Penguin said:
You guys, this might actually be happening in our lifetime!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZYZ...ature=youtu.be
It sure looks like it's going to open within the next few weeks. I guess that's good for people who want to get to the 96nd Y easily.
I'm heading to NYC next week. I'm going to be checking out the SoHo--shopping with my gf, and the Upper West Side.

I'm looking at the UWS because I'm debating MBA programs in NYC. Is it a pain to get around? If I decide to pursue a MBA program in the area and I live like a 1 hour walk from campus will it be a pain relying on public transportation all the time?

I would want to live close to a nice gym (right now I could get an employee discount at Equinox), but the better ones are further away from the university.
What colleges are you thinking of looking at for reference? Depending on where on where you choose to live at, it could be super easy or annoying to get to class because of whichever train you're nearest. For instance, I went to college in Lenox Hill and it took me about 45 minutes to get to there from Northern Manhattan and transferring to three different trains.

It sure looks like it's going to open within the next few weeks. I guess that's good for people who want to get to the 96nd Y easily.

What colleges are you thinking of looking at for reference? Depending on where on where you choose to live at, it could be super easy or annoying to get to class because of whichever train you're nearest. For instance, I went to college in Lenox Hill and it took me about 45 minutes to get to there from Northern Manhattan and transferring to three different trains.

Looking at Columb. for grad and I'm scoping out apartments around 60th st on the west side. It looks like the 1 train (A$AP) can take me there in 25 minutes. But I could also just suck it up and try to find a worse apartment closer to the university

Jhoan

Looking at Columb. for grad and I'm scoping out apartments around 60th st on the west side. It looks like the 1 train (A$AP) can take me there in 25 minutes. But I could also just suck it up and try to find a worse apartment closer to the university

Hahaha, how did I know it was Columbia? I had a gut feeling since that's the only college I I could think of that's up in Harlem/the Upper West Side. One of my good friends goes to Columbia for the Fiction writing MFA. He moved from Long Island to a studio apartment in my neighborhood and is by the A train---which is about a 2-3 minute walk away from his place since it's on the same long strip of block----about 1.2 months ago now.

If you can afford it, then an apartment near Lincoln Center would work out solid. Otherwise, I would suggest looking into Hamilton Heights and Washington Heights as well even though the trade off is that there's only Planet Fitness gyms up here but there is an NYSC at the former. What's your budget range?

Hahaha, how did I know it was Columbia? I had a gut feeling since that's the only college I I could think of that's up in Harlem/the Upper West Side. One of my good friends goes to Columbia for the Fiction writing MFA. He moved from Long Island to a studio apartment in my neighborhood and is by the A train---which is about a 2-3 minute walk away from his place since it's on the same long strip of block----about 1.2 months ago now.

If you can afford it, then an apartment near Lincoln Center would work out solid. Otherwise, I would suggest looking into Hamilton Heights and Washington Heights as well even though the trade off is that there's only Planet Fitness gyms up here but there is an NYSC at the former. What's your budget range?

Budget for rent is like ~3k a month, I'm looking at full scholarships that would cover room and board and my gf is also doing the same (so the split would be 1.5k which would be less than the amount given for monthly rent).
I live for scholarships/financial aid, I got undergrad covered fully and I'm planning to do the same for grad

For gyms I'm willing to go up to like ~150 a month or so. My current employee discount can get me Equinox for around that price.

I'm looking for a chill/calm neighborhood that is close to stuff I care about like grocery stores, parks, gym, and school.

How's your buddy liking it?

Also why are condos called apartments in NYC? Lol

Thanks for the tip about apartments around Lincoln Center--I'm trying to google some now.

Jhoan

Budget for rent is like ~3k a month, I'm looking at full scholarships that would cover room and board and my gf is also doing the same (so the split would be 1.5k which would be less than the amount given for monthly rent).
I live for scholarships/financial aid, I got undergrad covered fully and I'm planning to do the same for grad

For gyms I'm willing to go up to like ~150 a month or so. My current employee discount can get me Equinox for around that price.

I'm looking for a chill/calm neighborhood that is close to stuff I care about like grocery stores, parks, gym, and school.

Thanks for the tip about apartments around Lincoln Center--I'm trying to google some now.
3K a month is still pretty damn pricey even after splitting it considering utilities, internet, phone bills, and other monthly bills. And 150 a month?! Sweet Jesus! It sounds like you're looking for a 1BR or a studio.

Pray do tell me your secrets to going to grad school for free. I've thought about going to grad school for illustration but I don't want to be in debt/take out loans.

You can find that in any neighborhood in Manhattan or Brooklyn. I don't know much about apartment hunting since I still live with family so I'll let one of the other regulars give tips there.

Since he's Jewish, dude feels right at home with a synagogue right across the street from his place and a bunch more along Bennett Avenue as well as a Key Food that sells loads of kosher food along 187 and Broadway, and a couple of Jewish friends that live in the area.

Plus he's a few blocks away from Ft Tryon Park (AKA skunk city after dusk) and across the street from Bennett Park. The street that he lives on is pretty quiet especially at night. His building is from the whole art deco period during the 50s/60s since the lobby and elevator reek of it.

I once went out with a girl who lives on the Upper East Side so that might be another option for you.

3K a month is still pretty damn pricey even after splitting it considering utilities, internet, phone bills, and other monthly bills. And 150 a month?! Sweet Jesus! It sounds like you're looking for a 1BR or a studio.

Pray do tell me your secrets to going to grad school for free. I've thought about going to grad school for illustration but I don't want to be in debt/take out loans.

You can find that in any neighborhood in Manhattan or Brooklyn. I don't know much about apartment hunting since I still live with family so I'll let one of the other regulars give tips there.

Since he's Jewish, dude feels right at home with a synagogue right across the street from his place and a bunch more along Bennett Avenue as well as a Key Food that sells loads of kosher food along 187 and Broadway, and a couple of Jewish friends that live in the area.

Plus he's a few blocks away from Ft Tryon Park (AKA skunk city after dusk) and across the street from Bennett Park. The street that he lives on is pretty quiet especially at night. His building is from the whole art deco period during the 50s/60s since the lobby and elevator reek of it.

I once went out with a girl who lives on the Upper East Side so that might be another option for you.
If you are going for business or STEM it is a bit easier to find scholarships. Also it helps to be a minority. I don't know a bunch for illustration but I'll legit check my resources to see.

It sucks that for more of the creative grad programs scholarships are harder to find.

Peltz

Condo is a legal type of ownership structure. You own your own dwelling unit but the common areas are owned by everyone.

This is distinct from a co-op where everyone owns a percentage stock in the corporation proportional to the size of their dwelling unit and a board has centralized decision making control with regard to common areas and building regulations.

a condo you own, an apartment usually refers to one you rent.

I know you own a condo (though I'm renting from one right now).

But constantly when I'm searching "apartments NYC/UWS/etc" it will show me condos for purchase from different websites and realtors. This has only happened when I looked up apartments in NYC.

Penguin

I'm new to NY and know nothing about the history of this, but if the trains are actually running on the track, what is holding stuff up?

(Also, hate to be a downer here, but large parts of Manhattan are going to be flooded within our life time, and that's going to take out the subway system, so...)

Well like anything need to test it to make sure nothing's wrong w/ the track and think this was a weight test

And wear and tear.

Well like anything need to test it to make sure nothing's wrong w/ the track and think this was a weight test.

Well yeah, sure, but it's the kind of thing you'd do when you're almost done, isn't it? Unless something goes horribly wrong with the test... which I suppose is perfectly possible, but I'd imagine it's less likely than the alternative.

Makai

3k a month is way more than enough for rent. Might as well get a two bedroom. Equinox is already around $150 - some discount.

ACE 1991

What fun/not painfully touristy things do you recommend in Manhattan/Brooklyn? Staying in the city with my girlfriend tomorrow night and spending Saturday there.

Jhoan

If you are going for business or STEM it is a bit easier to find scholarships. Also it helps to be a minority. I don't know a bunch for illustration but I'll legit check my resources to see.

It sucks that for more of the creative grad programs scholarships are harder to find.
Arts programs stay getting screwed up the ass; Mayor de Blasio gave advice to a dude's kid on WNYC earlier by saying that she should go into one of the STEM fields. It's even more sad that they keep getting cut in favor of STEM stuff. I'm a minority so I automatically tick one of the boxes off. Let me know what you find.
What fun/not painfully touristy things do you recommend in Manhattan/Brooklyn? Staying in the city with my girlfriend tomorrow night and spending Saturday there.
One of the things that come to mind is to go hit up The Pit in the evening since it makes for a good, cheap date idea. Perhaps the Highline is something that you should go hit up even though it's flooded with tourists but not quite as much as say MoMA or The Met. If you like beer, then go check out the NY Craft Beer Festival (shameless plug that I'll explain below)

Heads up ya mugs: I'm volunteering at the NY Craft Beer Festival tonight and tomorrow. If anyone is gonna go, let me know.. Also as per usual, I'll have a free ticket to give away for the afternoon session and evening session. It was either that, or pay $100 to sell art at an arts festival in the Morris Jumel Mansion tomorrow which I'm debating but might pass on it.

Also, Lin-Manuel Miranda is going to be hosting a movie screening at United Palace starting this Sunday and going for every Sunday until December. Cheapest tickets are 10 bucks. If anyone wants a dumb excuse to come up to Washington Heights. there you go. There's also a bunch of solid bars and a good Salvadoran restaurant on 187 and Broadway.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
man i need to see this so bad

Just buy tickets when they are released. Sure, it's way in advance (I bought these last year), but you are guaranteed to see it for sticker price. Join their mailing list and they'll email you when they go on sale.

So a Bareburger opened up near me (14th St and 6th Ave). Never tried it before but I hear its a solid burger. Any good burger joints in the West Village area to recommend? Amazing that I have lived in the Village for almost a year and barely explored the food choices.

Marvie_3

Banned
Yooooooo... Alamo Drafthouse Brooklyn has an opening date!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/19/movies/alamo-drafthouse-brooklyn-opening.html

itshappening.gif
finally!

So a Bareburger opened up near me (14th St and 6th Ave). Never tried it before but I hear its a solid burger. Any good burger joints in the West Village area to recommend? Amazing that I have lived in the Village for almost a year and barely explored the food choices.
Bison burgers. <3

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Just buy tickets when they are released. Sure, it's way in advance (I bought these last year), but you are guaranteed to see it for sticker price. Join their mailing list and they'll email you when they go on sale.

yeah, i'm on it i just see the e-mail too late. i need to upgrade it in my g-mail sorting.

i still haven't listned to disc 2 all the way through... i want the hear it first time live.

Got my fav fall jacket tailored, sweaters dry cleaned, then it's fucking 80 this week

yep.

->grab winter clothes out of bins, swap out summer stuff
->immediately have a week of 80 degree weather

Heh, saw a Gaffer on the Manhattan bound 7 Train this morning. Couldnt see what thread he was reading (unless I got uncomfortably close) but I did see a bunch of avatars and names I recognized. Small world.

Bareburger rules. I add the duck bacon to every burger I get there. So good.

Shinriji

No more zucchini fries, bareburger is dead for me.

Top Bottom