• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Nice dude, good luck. SF is super pricey so hope you get a fat ass salary. Is it Palantir by chance? I heard those peeps love to fly people out for the later stages.

Hey, there are short white dudes in Williamsburg too :p Someone needs to stand up for them.

I'm sure NYC has a lot of GAFers. The site attracts a ton of lurkers too. I dont think I've ever met any other GAFer but I wouldnt be surprised if people came out of the shadows if I yelled out "GAF!" at Nintendo World or something.

I won't say the company, don't want to risk anything. Haha.

I will say that it offers a nice base pay 70k~ + Commission on top of that, so that's something. Full benefits too. Plus, I can pick up a good restaurant job in SF on some nights and weekends to bring in an addition ~600 a week, if I want.

If I can't survive on that then I have failed myself. Plus I'll probably just rent out a room in the less desirable lower nob hill area.

Ramen lovers, any recommendations for good ramen in the city without pork? Not sure if Tottos chicken paitan also includes pork in the broth.

I won't say the company, don't want to risk anything. Haha.

I will say that it offers a nice base pay 70k~ + Commission on top of that, so that's something. Full benefits too. Plus, I can pick up a good restaurant job in SF on some nights and weekends to bring in an addition ~600 a week, if I want.

If I can't survive on that then I have failed myself. Plus I'll probably just rent out a room in the less desirable lower nob hill area.

Not bad dude. Hope it works out for you! Try not to let the tech bros drive you nuts.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I'm sure NYC has a lot of GAFers. The site attracts a ton of lurkers too. I dont think I've ever met any other GAFer but I wouldnt be surprised if people came out of the shadows if I yelled out "GAF!" at Nintendo World or something.

A few years ago I was at Nintendo world, buying some stupid Amiibo or whatever, and there was a guy in front of me, browsing GAF on his phone. I almost said something to him...

I've only met one GAF person in NYC, and that was the dude I was giving Knicks tickets to.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I'm sure the food will be good, but I was hoping they'd have their green chile mac and cheese from Austin. So good.

I got tickets for Doctor Strange there (I can finally just go to the theater and get the Tom Whalen pin!) but I definitely want to catch The Handmaiden before it leaves.

Also, don't forget, they have an accompanying bar called House of Wax loosely based on... House of Wax.

Penguin

I'm sure the food will be good, but I was hoping they'd have their green chile mac and cheese from Austin. So good.

I got tickets for Doctor Strange there (I can finally just go to the theater and get the Tom Whalen pin!) but I definitely want to catch The Handmaiden before it leaves.

Also, don't forget, they have an accompanying bar called House of Wax loosely based on... House of Wax.

Oh can we do a meet-up there!

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

Penguin

Found their menu:
https://www.scribd.com/document/328...&source=impactradius&medium=affiliate&irgwc=1

Between killing time here before the movie, their spiked shakes, respecting a place that advertises having an old fashioned, and wanting a draft from the drafthouse, there's a good chance I'm going to be drunk by the end of Dr. Strange.

Oh the best part is you don't have to leave your seat to get booze

Though I think cut-off is like 30 mins before movie is over

Jhoan

Oh can we do a meet-up there!

That sounds feasible. Only I would sneak in some beers that I got from volunteering at the Food Film Fest if possible. Although I would assume that no outside drinks falls under their rules so it wouldn't be a good idea. Their mixed drinks sound great even though 13 bucks kind of up there in price.

On another note, Hilary Clinton and Tim Kaine are going to be at the Javits Center on Election Day celebrating and watching the polls. I signed for it on a whim and got my mom and brother in on it. If anyone wants to sign up for a chance to snag tickets, here's the link: https://www.hillaryclinton.com/events/view/qzvp7kv43z2gc3b2/

Jhoan

Is that it - RSVP and I show up? The email sounds like it.

"Further information on ticket pickup to follow." Presumably RSVP for the ticket pickup date which would be sent within a few days and then just show up the day of it. I wonder how crowded the Javits Center is going to be on that day. Not anticipating NYCC numbers but definitely a big crowd. I can see the Main Stage area being used for it since I can't imagine the show floor would be open for it. Security and police presence is bound to be heavy that's for sure since Cuomo and de Blasio are going to be there without any question.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That sounds feasible. Only I would sneak in some beers that I got from volunteering at the Food Film Fest if possible. Although I would assume that no outside drinks falls under their rules so it wouldn't be a good idea. Their mixed drinks sound great even though 13 bucks kind of up there in price.

On another note, Hilary Clinton and Tim Kaine are going to be at the Javits Center on Election Day celebrating and watching the polls. I signed for it on a whim and got my mom and brother in on it. If anyone wants to sign up for a chance to snag tickets, here's the link: https://www.hillaryclinton.com/events/view/qzvp7kv43z2gc3b2/

I signed up, wonder how crowded it's going to be.

Is Harlem generally a safe place to live? I'm looking at some apartments there this evening.

I didn't really think anything of it but I messaged my father and he seemed VERY concerned...

Living with my grandmother is kind of driving crazy. I love her but I need my own space...

Jhoan

I signed up, wonder how crowded it's going to be.
I have a feeling that it's going to be a massive turnout. I'm going to guess that at least 50K people will turn out but then I wonder where in the Javits Center all those people will be housed at. The emails are starting to annoy me a bit.
Is Harlem generally a safe place to live? I'm looking at some apartments there this evening.

I didn't really think anything of it but I messaged my father and he seemed VERY concerned...

Living with my grandmother is kind of driving crazy. I love her but I need my own space...
Yes, I think so considering the fact that it's been getting heavily gentrified in the last several years (including East Harlem). I went out with a girl who lived two blocks away from the C train station on 116th over the summer. She lived in one of those modern buildings. That whole strip along that street had bars, restaurants, a supermarket, and a Starbucks. What kind of news has had your father concerned lately?

I saw an NYSC further up north near the Apollo Theatre. I walked through 125th last Sunday since the A train stopped working to the 2 train station and found it pretty lively. There's a solid Public Library near there called the Schomburg Center.

commish

Every area of NYC has good and bad parts, but it sounds like your dad is thinking of 1978 Harlem and definitely not 2016 Harlem. I think it's totally fine.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I have a feeling that it's going to be a massive turnout. I'm going to guess that at least 50K people will turn out but then I wonder where in the Javits Center all those people will be housed at. The emails are starting to annoy me a bit.

Maybe it'll be the space on the left? If I remember right it should be enough.

Harlem is fine. I was looking at a place up there last year for a minute.

Jhoan

Maybe it'll be the space on the left? If I remember right it should be enough.

You mean 1E and 1D/The Main Stage area? Yeah that's what I was thinking since that's the only place in the Javits that can house something that big. I imagine that the adjacent 1E is going to serve as an overflow area for people who couldn't get into 1D. I'm going to have a hard time disassociating it with NYCC since it hasn't been a month and I already miss it. :(

Jhoan

What's everyone doing for the Halloween weekend

No real plans other than to get some work done over the weekend, put some stuff up for sale, and hit the gym. On Sunday I have orientation for the Doc Film Fest at the IFC Center at 9:45am then I'm free afterwards.

I just remembered that Sunday is also the start of Target's buy 2 get 1 free sale so I'll more than likely going to make my way up to The Bronx at some point. Need to get some 3DS games even though I'm sans a 3DS at the moment. I know that there's one on East Harlem but I prefer the former location out of convenience unless I end up near the 6 train at some point.

What's everyone doing for the Halloween weekend

My dad who is retired and lives in Puerto Rico is heading over to the city to visit. I haven't seen him in over a year so I'm looking forward to the weekend.

As for Halloween itself I will just be holding the fort as my building is pretty darn close to the Village Parade. Gotta keep the riff raffs outta my building (I'm a super). :p

if any of you guys going to some amazing food joint this weekend like "the Commodore" (chicken sandwaich was amazing), please share or make it a group =)

Jhoan

I meant costume dress up

Since Halloween weekend :p

Ended up staying in. Watching the Waypoint Twitch stream, drank a few beers so far, and doing some work on another tab. It seems like plans went kaput. I feel like skipping the orientation tomorrow morning. I bet there must be a ton of peeps in costumes. What were you planning on dressing up as?

MomoMura

Can't wait to be back in NYC in December ☺️ Totally visiting all the art museums I can and wanna hit up some comedy clubs as well. Aaahhhhh I live in Tokyo and I still don't think I've found another city I love as much as NYC. But fuck living expenses there are really skyrocketing though

Can't wait to be back in NYC in December ☺️ Totally visiting all the art museums I can and wanna hit up some comedy clubs as well. Aaahhhhh I live in Tokyo and I still don't think I've found another city I love as much as NYC. But fuck living expenses there are really skyrocketing though

That's simple supply and demand when living in the GOAT city

Move to the outer boroughs! Queens is awesome.

If anyone knows of good rental apartment brokers, let me know. I've concluded I really need someone to help me with this, there's too many aspects of the process I don't know.

gazele

Banned
If anyone knows of good rental apartment brokers, let me know. I've concluded I really need someone to help me with this, there's too many aspects of the process I don't know.

I'm probably gonna end up using Triplemint.com, they seem the most modern of the brokers and take 10% which is less than most of the others

If anyone knows an awesome broker though, I'd be interested as well

commish

General FYI, but tickets for Islander games are DIRT CHEAP. GF and I went with some friends last night and paid $10 each. Others paid under $5. Crazy.

I'm probably gonna end up using Triplemint.com, they seem the most modern of the brokers and take 10% which is less than most of the others

I signed up with Triple Mint, and they sent me an email saying "To be 100% upfront and transparent, the starting price for studios shown by our team is $1,700. The reason for this budget threshold is because this is the starting price of quality studio inventory in the neighborhoods we service." The absolute maximum I can pay is $1,500.

Now, what I can't tell is whether finding a studio for that amount in NYC is just completely impossible, or if they simply aren't serviced by Triple Mint. Either way, it's the kind of thing I'd like to talk to a professional about.

gazele

Banned
I signed up with Triple Mint, and they sent me an email saying "To be 100% upfront and transparent, the starting price for studios shown by our team is $1,700. The reason for this budget threshold is because this is the starting price of quality studio inventory in the neighborhoods we service." The absolute maximum I can pay is $1,500.

Now, what I can't tell is whether finding a studio for that amount anywhere near NYC is just completely impossible, or if they simply aren't serviced by Triple Mint. Either way, it's the kind of thing I'd like to talk to a professional about.

Oh, yeah, that's fair

Jhoan

Going to be participating in the Halloween parade tonight. I will be wearing some layers because it will be cold. Gotta plan a small meetup for next month before Black Friday/Thanksgiving weekend since wallets are going to be destroyed.

Also going to start taking ideas for a theoretical December meetup. Feel free to sound off.

Now, what I can't tell is whether finding a studio for that amount in NYC is just completely impossible, or if they simply aren't serviced by Triple Mint. Either way, it's the kind of thing I'd like to talk to a professional about.

If you don't mind The Bronx or Queens you can surely find a one bedroom for $1500. If Manhattan you may actually find one in Washington Heights or Inwood if you are really lucky.

I do wish more people gave my home of The Bronx a chance. I know its "far away" from all the nightlife stuff so you need a car or a Metrocard but there are some fine apartments up there for reasonable rents. It doesn't always have to be a place in the latest "cool neighborhood".

As far as Halloween goes I'll just have to do the occasional patrol in my lobby and outside my building a few times tonight as I am right next to the Village Parade. My staff member who is currently on shift is working his first Halloween here and I don't want him to be overwhelmed when people try to come in for Trick or Treats (not allowed this year). It can get a bit rowdy at times as well even with the police presence.

If you don't mind The Bronx or Queens you can surely find a one bedroom for $1500. If Manhattan you may actually find one in Washington Heights or Inwood if you are really lucky.

I do wish more people gave my home of The Bronx a chance. I know its "far away" from all the nightlife stuff so you need a car or a Metrocard but there are some fine apartments up there for reasonable rents. It doesn't always have to be a place in the latest "cool neighborhood".

I have no attachment to Manhattan specifically—I'm really not a nightlife person—but it's where I work.

I'm ultimately trying to optimize for commute time. My job is a couple minutes away from Penn, so if I live in The Bronx, my commute is the same or longer than if I lived in NJ and used NJTransit. And I came super close to doing that—renting a place in NJ for ~$900/month with a 45-50 minute commute...

...there's a lot of different factors and it all gets really complicated, which is why I'd like to talk to an expert.

Jhoan

Rehearsing for the Halloween Parade. Gotta go. Holding a couch. Click the links.
url]

url]

Just scored two free tickets to WWE Smackdown Live over at the Prudential Center. Any NYC Wrasslin' fans here?? Of course everyone I ask to come with me has shot me down. lol Whatever..I'm going anyways. :)

Turned into a pretty nice day so far. Supposed to warm up the next two days which is a-ok with me.

Top Bottom