• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Going to be participating in the Halloween parade tonight. I will be wearing some layers because it will be cold. Gotta plan a small meetup for next month before Black Friday/Thanksgiving weekend since wallets are going to be destroyed.

Also going to start taking ideas for a theoretical December meetup. Feel free to sound off.

Why did I read that as theatrical? I seriously have the Met on my mind. Been in NYC for years, and still have not gone to see a show.

Jhoan

Just scored two free tickets to WWE Smackdown Live over at the Prudential Center. Any NYC Wrasslin' fans here?? Of course everyone I ask to come with me has shot me down. lol Whatever..I'm going anyways. :)

Turned into a pretty nice day so far. Supposed to warm up the next two days which is a-ok with me.
Penguin is a regular watcher since he live tweets about it all the time. Not sure who else is a fan here. I stopped watching it years ago but catch bits and pieces of it from my Twitter feed. When is that upcoming show?
Why did I read that as theatrical? I seriously have the Met on my mind. Been in NYC for years, and still have not gone to see a show.
Hahaha, I can see why you misread that. A Broadway show about a bunch of people who post on an Internet message board and meet up in person sounds like a hilarious premise if you think about it. It would be incredibly meta but there's no "millennial" playwrights that I'm aware of.

The check from a car dealership that paid off my car loan finally went through. Finally car less and car loan less.
giphy.gif

Penguin

General FYI, but tickets for Islander games are DIRT CHEAP. GF and I went with some friends last night and paid $10 each. Others paid under $5. Crazy.
Yup
Went to my first Islanders game, it was like 15 bucks or so...

Building was freezing. Maybe we can look into that for a winter GAF meet-up, an Islanders game... then beer at a local bar

Just scored two free tickets to WWE Smackdown Live over at the Prudential Center. Any NYC Wrasslin' fans here?? Of course everyone I ask to come with me has shot me down. lol Whatever..I'm going anyways. :)

Turned into a pretty nice day so far. Supposed to warm up the next two days which is a-ok with me.

Didn't realize SmackDown was in the area. A fan, but no idea how gonna get out to Prudential

Didn't realize SmackDown was in the area. A fan, but no idea how gonna get out to Prudential

No idea where you live but I'm in Manhattan so I can just take the Path at the World Trade Center station to the last stop (Newark Penn) and walk a block or two. It'll be my first time at Prudential so I'll probably head out around 6 or so since I think they take Main Event or Superstars before the Smackdown show.

Penguin

No idea where you live but I'm in Manhattan so I can just take the Path at the World Trade Center station to the last stop (Newark Penn) and walk a block or two. It'll be my first time at Prudential so I'll probably head out around 6 or so since I think they take Main Event or Superstars before the Smackdown show.

Woops just saw this response.

Maybe next time
:(

So it seems like Islanders/Nets games can be cheap depending on the team so one of these could be a fun get together

https://seatgeek.com/new-york-islan...=g&mt=p&ext=&gclid=CMqynNfUiNACFUQGhgod-5YAMg

https://seatgeek.com/brooklyn-nets-tickets

kooplar

Nyc weather is all kinds of crazy. One day you don't even need a jacket and the next you need like 20. Are the north face jackets the best at what they do? Seems like everyone is wearing them

Lulubop

Nyc weather is all kinds of crazy. One day you don't even need a jacket and the next you need like 20. Are the north face jackets the best at what they do? Seems like everyone is wearing them

Its gonna be 75 on thursday too. This shit is crazy.

Hope we do another meet soon. Last one was fun.

Marvie_3

Banned
General FYI, but tickets for Islander games are DIRT CHEAP. GF and I went with some friends last night and paid $10 each. Others paid under $5. Crazy.
Yeah its sweet. My gf and I went to a bunch of games last year and never paid much for tickets.

Jhoan

Its gonna be 75 on thursday too. This shit is crazy.

Hope we do another meet soon. Last one was fun.
Between my plans to participate in the GAF Secret Santa, Black Friday stuff, and the aforementioned $200 credit card bill that I need to pay, I'm hoping my wallet survives into December. One of the ideas that I'm kicking around is potentially including a suit up optional dress code. The thread would be up by the middle of this month. Any ideas?

Quick question for the folks who signed up for Clinton's Javits Center appearance: Did anyone get some kind of confirmation email from them yet?

I didn't know where else to post this but that moment when you tweet a review article that you wrote a good review about to the creative team and they liked it:

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Alamo is pretty swank. Way better than the South Lamar location in Austin.

FYI, they're still giving out 30% on food orders.

Any idea when the 30% off is over? I thought it was only until the 30th.

Going tonight and starving myself throughout the day so I can make room to eat and drink everything. So 30% off food would be nice hah

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Any idea when the 30% off is over? I thought it was only until the 30th.

Going tonight and starving myself throughout the day so I can make room to eat and drink everything. So 30% off food would be nice hah

Not sure when it'll be over. Guess they're still working out the kinks.

They ran out of the mac & cheese (at a 7:15 showing!) so I got the tacos. They were tasty but they weren't exactly warm.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

They ran out of the mac & cheese (at a 7:15 showing!) so I got the tacos. They were tasty but they weren't exactly warm.

I expect growing pains for any new restaurant. I have tix for the Saturday night Strange. Here's to hoping they have more mac and cheese by then!

Shanlei91

Hah, just read a yelp review where they told a guy they were out of tacos.

Here's hoping they have everything I want tonight. Otherwise I'll end up getting hammered while watching Dr. Strange and that could be trippy.

Penguin

Hah, just read a yelp review where they told a guy they were out of tacos.

Here's hoping they have everything I want tonight. Otherwise I'll end up getting hammered while watching Dr. Strange and that could be trippy.

I don't think you'll get refills quick enough to get hammered.

But who knows

Jhoan

Do you think Williamsburg worked well or somewhere in Manhattan?
It doesn't matter to me to be honest; I'll consider any neighborhood in Brooklyn or Queens as long as it's not too out of the way to get to. A GAF member in the Dating-Age thread name dropped Fette Sau which sounds like an interesting place.

That being said, The Alamo Drafthouse sounds like another solid place if only because it has a bar within the theatre. As for places in Manhattan, I think German pubs would be solid; I can think of three places off the top of my head.
If anyone is interested, Nintendo World (shall always be name to me) is doing an 80s theme launch party for NES Classic.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1635605290073071/

I'll probably go depending on the weather since off on Friday.
(Please note that admission to 80's event is limited up to 250 guests and is on a first come first serve basis)

That sounds like it's going to be mad house since it's Nintendo World. I'm more than likely going to be volunteering at Doc NYC at that time so it's probably going to be a no go for me. I know those things are going to be sold out throughout November and will no doubt be on eBay for higher prices. It would cool to get my hands one in December.

Penguin

It doesn't matter to me to be honest; I'll consider any neighborhood in Brooklyn or Queens as long as it's not too out of the way to get to. A GAF member in the Dating-Age thread name dropped Fette Sau which sounds like an interesting place.

That being said, The Alamo Drafthouse sounds like another solid place if only because it has a bar within the theatre. As for places in Manhattan, I think German pubs would be solid; I can think of three places off the top of my head.

That sounds like it's going to be mad house since it's Nintendo World. I'm more than likely going to be volunteering at Doc NYC at that time so it's probably going to be a no go for me. I know those things are going to be sold out throughout November and will no doubt be on eBay for higher prices. It would cool to get my hands one in December.

You had me at BBQ and brisket!

Fuchsdh

Hey NY GAF, figure I should say hi instead of just lurking. Moved to Brooklyn in May, and for the moment telecommuting with my old job. Since I'm in NY I definitely need to take advantage of the work up here, but damn it's nice to have no commute. Will suck to go back to that.

Shanlei91

I don't think you'll get refills quick enough to get hammered.

But who knows

They still had 30% off food and I got around the above by ordering all my drinks at once.

"Yes, I would like a lamb burger, an old fashion, a spiked milk shake, popcorn and a beer. Also directions to the nearest hospital, thanks."

Old Fashion came first, followed by the beer, burger came with the shake and the popcorn came an hour later...because that makes sense. Was all delicious but in a city where people sneak whole pizza pies into an AMC theater, it wasn't out of this world. The whole mall setup, quirky bar in the lobby and intro by the staff before the movie gave some hardcore New Jersey vibes.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Went to Alamo this weekend. Let's see..

- they sold us tickets for seats that didn't actually exist. They knew this was an issue for a few days. Not sure how they didn't address earlier before people with those seats arrived.

- out of many food items but didn't tell us until an hour after ordering

- brought us our appetizers after main meal... And after movie was over

- folks were still getting food after it ended as well. Eat fast!

As for the positives, great theater, wonderful staff, nice bar, great, strong drinks, food was actually pretty good once we got it (loved those fried pickles!). Obviously the positives outweigh the negatives and we had a great time. Lot of growing pains, sure, but they are trying and are so nice about everything. And Dr Strange was awesome! Get the Mondo cups if you can. Really nice.

Makai

So just go the headquarters and show them the email?
Just go to any of these locations

Manhattan Field Office
50 Broadway Ground Floor
New York, NY 10004

Bronx County Democratic Dems
1640 Eastchester Road
Bronx, NY 10461

Queens County Dems
72-50 Austin Street, 2nd Floor
Forest Hills, NY 11375

Westchester Field Office
168 Martine Ave
White Plains, NY 10601

Just go to any of these locations

Manhattan Field Office
50 Broadway Ground Floor
New York, NY 10004

Bronx County Democratic Dems
1640 Eastchester Road
Bronx, NY 10461

Queens County Dems
72-50 Austin Street, 2nd Floor
Forest Hills, NY 11375

Westchester Field Office
168 Martine Ave
White Plains, NY 10601

Thank you!!

I'm putting that manhattan address into google maps and nothing comes up

Jhoan

That Lower Manhattan trek is making me think about it since about an hour trek to and from there. It would be nice to be part of a historic event so decisions, decisions. I might just go in a bit before dark. Giant Bomb Extra Life stream has been eating my day up.

Makai

That Lower Manhattan trek is making me think about it since about an hour trek to and from there. It would be nice to be part of a historic event so decisions, decisions. I might just go in a bit before dark. Giant Bomb Extra Life stream has been eating my day up.
There's a line/first come first serve

Top Bottom