• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Did you get one?

Yeah I got one but I'm not sure I want to go, the idea of standing for hours and hours on Tuesday isn't very appealing

Doors open at 6 but it's still first come first serve and they gave out more physical tickets then there are seats, only the dedicated are getting in

Penguin

My first trip to Alamo Brooklyn was a bit of a disappointment. I know they are relatively new, but the service was just dreadful.

They kept on bringing us the wrong things. They were out of so much food. The checks didn't come until long after the movie finished. And even then still screwed up. During the entire 2 hours of the movie, only checked if we needed more drinks/food once... and that was like 20 mins to go in the movie.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
My first trip to Alamo Brooklyn was a bit of a disappointment. I know they are relatively new, but the service was just dreadful.

They kept on bringing us the wrong things. They were out of so much food. The checks didn't come until long after the movie finished. And even then still screwed up. During the entire 2 hours of the movie, only checked if we needed more drinks/food once... and that was like 20 mins to go in the movie.

Yeah, the service needs to be improved but that will come. But just for future reference, they aren't supposed to come ask you if you needed more drinks/food - you just fill out the card and plus it upright in the slot, and they'll come by and pick it up.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Weird, they were mostly spot on for me on my trip there, and that was on their first day of training (the Monday before their official opening). The only negative from my experience there was they were a little slow on picking up the card for my reorder during the movie. Probably took them a good 10-15 minutes from the time I put the card there to the time someone came to get it. Other than that, though, all good. Guess you got unlucky.

Penguin

Yeah, the service needs to be improved but that will come. But just for future reference, they aren't supposed to come ask you if you needed more drinks/food - you just fill out the card and plus it upright in the slot, and they'll come by and pick it up.

Oh that's what I meant

I did the whole card thing
And no one came to check on that more than once in a 2 hour movie

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Oh that's what I meant

I did the whole card thing
And no one came to check on that more than once in a 2 hour movie

Did the seat on your ticket exist? If so, then you did better than I did :)

Like I said a few posts up, people were getting their food as the credits were rolling. Not ideal. On one hand, it makes sense - you taking 100 orders at once. That's hard to fulfill. On the other hand, this is not the first Alamo, and they should be prepared.

I would simply the menu until they get up to speed.

Penguin

Did the seat on your ticket exist? If so, then you did better than I did :)

Like I said a few posts up, people were getting their food as the credits were rolling. Not ideal. On one hand, it makes sense - you taking 100 orders at once. That's hard to fulfill. On the other hand, this is not the first Alamo, and they should be prepared.

I would simply the menu until they get up to speed.

To be fair, I mean a lot of that stuff can probably pre-cook or start on when movies are starting

You're gonna need X amount of this when Doctor Strange is coming

Also seems based on speaking with staff after movie that Doc Strange, Moonlight and Handmaiden were doing better business than expected

Jhoan

I exercised my right to vote along with my mom earlier. Took a few pics and selfies. I'm indifferent to this election cycle but let's just say it feels good since I missed/didn't vote in the last two election cycles.

Anybody at the Hilary event in the Javits Center? What's the atmosphere like? Need some live pics of the action! I might go hit up a neighborhood bar later on in the night to see what the atmosphere is like there.

Makai

I exercised my right to vote along with my mom earlier. Took a few pics and selfies. I'm indifferent to this election cycle but let's just say it feels good since I missed/didn't vote in the last two election cycles.

Anybody at the Hilary event in the Javits Center? What's the atmosphere like? Need some live pics of the action! I might go hit up a neighborhood bar later on in the night to see what the atmosphere is like there.
I got through security but didn't make it inside. They put me in the outside carnival instead :mad:

Jhoan

I got through security but didn't make it inside. They put me in the outside carnival instead :mad:

Welp, that doesn't sound very fun. Godspeed my good man! I hope you have liquid courage stowed in your jacket somewhere or meet some peeps who do. I saw pics of the stage set up and I wouldn't have imagined that the Crystal Palace area was going to be the stage.

Jhoan

What a time to be alive. My Twitter and Facebook feeds are stunned. This is like a video game ending that has a deus machina boss. Millions of people are eating crow. I think GAF meet up is warranted now more than ever.

I will not move to Canada since at least NY will continue to be the same old state. 8 years of Bush was pretty bad to put up with; the US has been through Reaganomics. If anything, I'm still proud of the fact that my neighborhood elected the first Dominican-American to Congress. That's progress in an effort to make politics more diverse.

Another day in which I'm glad I live in NYC. So as a minority, I'll be safe for the most part, but I don't know how I feel about continuously living in a country in which half the country hates us minority groups.

Jhoan

Minorities can continue to change the conversation through doing and educating the White majority. At least our media isn't controlled by the government even if the traditional liberal media outlets have a biased agenda.

I'm volunteering at GaymerX this weekend so I'll continue to be a great human being and see what the talented LGBT game dev community has been cooking up. I'm looking forward to it since I'm making an effort to open my mind. That's something many conservatives would be appalled by attending.

With everything that has happened. I guess I lucked out as a minority that lives in New York, and not some other republican controlled state.
The have the:
House
Senate
President
Supreme Court

With everything that has happened. I guess I lucked out as a minority that lives in New York, and not some other republican controlled state.
The have the:
House
Senate
President
Supreme Court

There will pretty much be zero excuse for any failure that Trump has because he will have full control on every level

Jhoan

One exception that folks forgetting in our lovely state: The State Assembly is Republican lead since gains were made across upstate counties even though Chuck Schumer has been declared as the most powerful Democrat in the US: http://www.wnyc.org/story/new-york-state-legislature-stays-republicans/

"While Democrats easily retained control of the state Assembly, former Republican state lawmaker John Faso has defeated progressive champion Zephyr Teachout, allowing the G.O.P. to hang on to an open House seat in upstate New York."

I think for all intents and purposes, I propose that the next GAF meetup start off at some kind of Christmas tree not named the Rockefeller Center one. I think a little joy will be needed. I've accepted it but like everyone else, I'm still reeling from it.

Brawl96

Anyone here going to Sony Square tonight, or were there for the PSVR launch?

I'm wondering if I don't plan on buying the pro, do I still need to wait on line, or can I just walk in and enjoy the giveaways.

Jhoan

Anyone here going to Sony Square tonight, or were there for the PSVR launch?

I'm wondering if I don't plan on buying the pro, do I still need to wait on line, or can I just walk in and enjoy the giveaways.
I didn't know this was going on! That's a damn good question for one of Sony's social media accounts. Where's this event at? I'm planning to go to Drink N Draw NYC tonight but could pass by afterward.

One exception that folks forgetting in our lovely state: The State Assembly is Republican lead since gains were made across upstate counties even though Chuck Schumer has been declared as the most powerful Democrat in the US: http://www.wnyc.org/story/new-york-state-legislature-stays-republicans/

"While Democrats easily retained control of the state Assembly, former Republican state lawmaker John Faso has defeated progressive champion Zephyr Teachout, allowing the G.O.P. to hang on to an open House seat in upstate New York."

I think for all intents and purposes, I propose that the next GAF meetup start off at some kind of Christmas tree not named the Rockefeller Center one. I think a little joy will be needed. I've accepted it but like everyone else, I'm still reeling from it.

I guess I should have said relatively okay. Central Park is always an option.

Went to sleep feeling like shit, woke up feeling like shit, went to work feeling like shit, took a shit feeling like shit, ate feeling like shit...

Penguin

Probably super last minute, but any GAFfers around on Friday to drink this week away?

Or Sat... I'm a flex drunk (If I drink haha)

Jhoan

I guess I should have said relatively okay. Central Park is always an option.
I'll make a note of that. What does Central Park have around these times normally?
Probably super last minute, but any GAFfers around on Friday to drink this week away?

Or Sat... I'm a flex drunk (If I drink haha)
I had a full case of six beers last night (Lagunitas Czech Pilsner FTW) and got face numbing hammered. Last night's elections was tough to watch and process on Twitter.

That being said, I will be working at Doc NYC from 3:30pm-10pm at the IFC Center on Friday. My schedule might change since I'm trying to work at either the Chelsea Theatre or the SVA theatre so I'm keeping a close eye on any openings that pop up. In the event that I keep that time/place, the Half Pint would be fine but I wouldn't be able to stay out late because...

My Saturday is composed of being at the Microsoft Technology Center by 9AM for GaymerX East volunteer orientation. That will be followed by 4 hour volunteer shift then slated to work a Doc NYC shift from 4:30pm-10pm at the SVA Theatre. I might take either Saturday or Sunday off from working a shift at Doc NYC to check out GaymerX. My schedule is in flux but suffice to say, I think Saturday would be the better day for me since I will be downtown any way you slice it.

Fuchsdh

The Union Square protest should've happened before the election, now it's just simply venting as it is ultimately meaningless

The Brexit comparisons keep becoming more apt. Clinton ultimately lost because people couldn't be arsed to go to the polls for someone they only sorta' liked, and so the Republicans snatch victory yet again solely because they hit the polls consistently. I have no hopes the midterms will be any better.

Doesn't seem like anyone in my neighborhood was fazed by the election, but aside from some BLM posters here and there I don't think they're at all politically engaged. Was hoping to watch the fireworks from the roof of my building... oh well.

The Brexit comparisons keep becoming more apt. Clinton ultimately lost because people couldn't be arsed to go to the polls for someone they only sorta' liked, and so the Republicans snatch victory yet again solely because they hit the polls consistently. I have no hopes the midterms will be any better.

Doesn't seem like anyone in my neighborhood was fazed by the election, but aside from some BLM posters here and there I don't think they're at all politically engaged. Was hoping to watch the fireworks from the roof of my building... oh well.

Liberals have always had a tough time motivating themselves for elections but it was said that they only came out or at least they came out for the general election, this election prove that to be false. Expect some disastrous results in the future midterm election

I'll make a note of that. What does Central Park have around these times normally?

They have the ice skating rink, if I remember correctly.

The Union Square protest should've happened before the election, now it's just simply venting as it is ultimately meaningless

I think the only reason why this is happening now is because, they never thought that Trump could actually win. If they really saw him as a plausible threat then I'd like to think this would have happened. I have to admit I never took Trump seriously, especially against Clinton.

Jhoan

So did we have a preference for Friday/Saturday and some outside bar suggestions?
I'm down for Saturday personally since again, I can't stay out late tomorrow night.

They have the ice skating rink, if I remember correctly.

Familiar with the skating rink. I haven't been there in 10 years. I'll have some kind of thread up by next week. I'll draft it out tonight. I'm looking at the weekend of 12/16. Definitely want to start it at some kind of landmark/X-Mas attraction.

Top Bottom