• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Makai

Oh bushwick country club. Golf might still be on then. I was looking somewhere else. On my way. Im at empire state building so commte is fine

Penguin

Had fun last night

Not sure how much have in the tank for tonight, but think Jhoan recommended around Chelsea so suggestions?

dbztrk

Howard Beach is the only spot I know enough that it being red makes sense. No idea what's going on with Gravesend and Midwood though. I'm going to assume it's old folks.

Midwood is heavily Jewish as is Borough Park. I'm not too familiar with the ethnic make-up of Gravesend. I just know that it is predominately white.

Jhoan

I'm currently on my shift for Doc NYC at the SVA Theatre. I dunno of any quiet bars in the Chelsea vicinity off the top of my head.

Jhoan

It's not a problem. It is indeed pretty damn chilly tonight as I had to go down a line scanning QR codes in. I'm probably going to get something cheap in the area if not when I'm back in the nabe.

I'm going to be back in Chelsea next Saturday again funny enough but to hit the batting cage with a few con friends so maybe next Friday if anything or Wednesday night since I'm working a shift at the Cineopolis theatre. I'll try to have the next GAF meetup thread up by early next week.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
giphy.gif

Penguin

Maybe we can book a movie date next week since it has come up that certain members of NYC-GAF have 1)never been to the theaters in NYC 2)Have never seen a Harry Potter film and 3)haven't been to Drafthouse

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Caught Arrival yesterday at the Alamo. Food actually came out relatively quick. Maybe they're finally getting there.

dickroach

going to catch Mark Normand's hour / special taping on thurs. anyone wanna come with? got an extra tick
East Village, thursday 930
hit me up

edit new to NY, new to NYGaf, I live in Park Slope BK.
I also need hanging out friends, drinking friends, sports friends, and etc.

Penguin

going to catch Mark Normand's hour / special taping on thurs. anyone wanna come with? got an extra tick
hit me up

Well you can always come to the next GAF hang and maybe meet some cool people

Also, we so NEED to put the Legend of Zelda Escape Room on the radar as a potential meet-up

http://scrapzelda.com/

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Got an e-mail on Sunday saying I won tickets to that Zelda Symphony thing, in Newark, NJ.

Me: Nah, I'd rather stay in Manhattan and watch the walking dead in my underwear than go to NJ.

fallengorn

Reading up on the Zelda event, it looks like it's one of their puzzle events. Not really a room escape game. (Basically there's a bunch of teams in a big space solving puzzles.) So, it's not like they dressed up a room as the Temple of Time and you get to wreck it.

Still cool though. I heard the Attack of Titan event they did recently was good.

I think their pretty flexible on team size, so it's pretty ideal for a meet-up.

Jhoan

i did an escape room by brooklyn bridge close to chinatown. maybe i went to the wrong one but i fell asleep. i need to try one more
Hahaha, how did you fall asleep in something that's supposed to be active/frantic?

The Zelda escape the room idea sounds pretty cool. I wonder how much tickets would be to get an idea of the ballpark range is and where in the city would it be. I'm assuming that it would be in Midtown.

fallengorn

Hahaha, how did you fall asleep in something that's supposed to be active/frantic?

The Zelda escape the room idea sounds pretty cool. I wonder how much tickets would be to get an idea of the ballpark range is and where in the city would it be. I'm assuming that it would be in Midtown.

$35 early bird
$40 door
$45 w/ poster
$55 w/ poster & coin

i think i was tired from walking around manhattan before we played, i had a group of about 9 people. i heard compared to others, the one we did was a pretty small room. (i think we had to disarm a bomb) i keep hearing great things about other ones though =)

Jhoan

dickroach said:
hit me up

Welcome! I'm sure there's other lurkers out there so don't feel shy to post. Ah yes, Park Slope AKA the mayor's neighborhood. I read an article about his daily routine which includes working out in the YMCA early in the morning sometimes with his wife and picking up his suit from the dry cleaner nearby.

And yes, there will be more GAF meet ups to come in the near future both big and small. I haven't penned the next thread yet. Where did you move from?

On the topic of free tickets, I reserved a +1 ticket for Bunker 77 since one of the perks of volunteering at Doc NYC has been that I get free tickets to see select documentaries. Here's the synopsis of the movie:

BUNKER77 (NYC Premiere)
Heir to a sugar fortune and stepson of Clark Gable, Bunker Spreckels defied family expectations by embracing surf culture. Expected to attend: Director Takuji Masuda
Thursday Nov 17th at 7:45pm - Cinepolis Chelsea (260 West 23rd St.)

If anyone would be interested in attending, let me know through here or a PM. Would have to be there 15 minutes before it starts to pick up the tickets as they're under my name. Thankfully, the theatre is only a minute away from the C/E 23rd station.
I realize that I will very well have to miss DC Legends of Tomorrow and Supernatural. :(

$35 early bird
$40 door
$45 w/ poster
$55 w/ poster & coin

$35 is not bad at all! I thought it was somewhere in the $50 range. It sounds like a solid plan to me. Count me in the interested camp.

davidwhangchoi said:
i think i was tired from walking around manhattan before we played, i had a group of about 9 people. i heard compared to others, the one we did was a pretty small room. (i think we had to disarm a bomb) i keep hearing great things about other ones though =)
That explains why you fell asleep. To me it sounds like the VR game Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes . I didn't even know that there were Escape the Room places tucked into Chinatown. The more you know.

On another note, has anyone seen the flood of post-it notes lining the corridor between the L and N/Q/R train at the Union Square station? I was there last night and it was overwhelming but similar messages: "Fuck Trump," some long letters, messages blaming folks, worried minorities, and messages from tourists.

There was one particular black post it note that stood out to me that said "Treat everyone with LOVE & RESPECT." The Love letters where colored in rainbow colors. The most hilarious part was that the MTA worker swept the post-its on the floor without a single hoot given since he was just doing his job. If anything, it sparked conversations among passerbys.

gazele

Banned
I'd be interested for sure in the Zelda escape room if it was done on the weekend

I'd be down for some other escape rooms too, never done one before, seems like a super cool experience

Top Bottom