• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Jhoan

Also any funtastic plans for the weekend?

I have a date tonight with a girl who moved to Jersey from Boston. She's yet to come into the city so everything is going to be new to her. I managed to reserve two free tickets for the opening night screening of Best Worst Thing that Could Have Happened. Bernadette Peters and the director Lonny Price are going to be speaking before the screening. The plan is to meet up at Times Square and walk down to the IFC Center from there. I'll probably take the scenic route and walk through The High Line. Cheap is the name of the game.

Tomorrow: Meeting up with a couple of con friends to hit up the batting cages at Chelsea Piers at 6pm; they want to go to a sports bar afterwards. Might go to Blick beforehand to buy some watercolor cards. Did I mention that I just paid off a $200 credit card bill? I fear for my wallet while I wait for my paychecks to arrive. I'm planning on putting some stuff up for sale on eBay before Black Friday.

I have a date tonight with a girl who moved to Jersey from Boston. She's yet to come into the city so everything is going to be new to her. I managed to reserve two free tickets for the opening night screening of Best Worst Thing that Could Have Happened. Bernadette Peters and the director Lonny Price are going to be speaking before the screening. The plan is to meet up at Times Square and walk down to the IFC Center from there. I'll probably take the scenic route and walk through The High Line. Cheap is the name of the game.

Tomorrow: Meeting up with a couple of con friends to hit up the batting cages at Chelsea Piers at 6pm; they want to go to a sports bar afterwards. Might go to Blick beforehand to buy some watercolor cards. Did I mention that I just paid off a $200 credit card bill? I fear for my wallet while I wait for my paychecks to arrive. I'm planning on putting some stuff up for sale on eBay before Black Friday.

Times Square to IFC is a hell of a walk for a date

Jhoan

Times Square to IFC is a hell of a walk for a date

Lol seriously. You are going to tire the poor woman out. That is at least a 40 minute walk.

tumblr_m9fbufwsqn1qc882co2_250.gif~c200

For you guys maybe but not for me. Ended up passing on going to the IFC Center but we did end up walking all the way down to the World Trade Center Westfield mall complex that houses the PATH train. It's one of the most interesting and whitest buildings I've ever been inside (pun not intended). In the end of it, she got tired since she was up since 6AM and wanted to go home but I'm used to doing all that walking. It ended up being a solid date. No regrets on the walk and besides we did take a pause at one point.

tumblr_m9fbufwsqn1qc882co2_250.gif~c200

For you guys maybe but not for me. Ended up passing on going to the IFC Center but we did end up walking all the way down to the World Trade Center Westfield mall complex that houses the PATH train. It's one of the most interesting and whitest buildings I've ever been inside (pun not intended). In the end of it, she got tired since she was up since 6AM and wanted to go home but I'm used to doing all that walking. It ended up being a solid date. No regrets on the walk and besides we did take a pause at one point.

you walked from TS to the world trade center complex and you wonder why she's saying she got tired and needs to go home?

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Haha long walks are perfect for first dates, definitely better than a movie or show in regards to building a rapport.

I also try to walk as much as possible so the distance doesn't seem bad to me. :p

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I guess we differ on the definition of a long walk. A long walk is from one end of the high line to the other. Walking from TS to the IFC or WTC is a marathon.

Jhoan

Yes, you guys read that right. I made the walk longer since she had to get to the nearest PATH train station which happened to be in Lower Manhattan. I'm aware of the discrepancy between what I said and the irony of the situation. Different strokes either way since I love walking and the chick was into it as well. Even when I was in Boston I walked as much as possible except in cases where I had to either take a cab in a rush or the subway to get to another neighborhood.

Walking from Times Square to WTC is nothing and I've walked all the way from Chinatown/Christie street to MoMA. This is also coming from the same guy who's walked from Williamsburg to Queens and took the 59th Street Bridge back into Manhattan. Heavens forbid I ever go out with a person who loathes walking and prefers to take cabs or drive. I think that a walk from one end of The Highline to the other is still nothing comparatively speak as long as the weather is fine and there's no brutal windchill.

Walking from Time Square to IFC is long?

I did it a couple years ago to see Princess Kaguya and don't remember it being bad at all. I wasn't living in NYC then and so I wasn't comfortable navigating the subway.

Is there more than one IFC Theatre or something?

Fuchsdh

Next GAF meet-up will be a walk across NYC

From Brooklyn to the Bronx!

I mean, that actually sounds like fun.

Google says it's a three hour walk from the Brooklyn Bridge north to the Bronx across the 3rd Ave bridge. Will have to do that on a weekend I'm free. Haven't spent much time in NE Manhattan.

I've done 50 mile hikes in a day, 9 miles is nothing. Besides, I'd rather be walking 40 minutes than commuting the same length of time any other way.

Oh we're never going to the Bronx!

Unless taking in a Yankees game or something!

Speaking of, we should pick one of those super cheap Islanders game soon

What? The Bronx is awesome!!! It has...ummm....fun things to do....

So future attorney general Jeff sessions apparently wrote off all of us Dominicans and basically called us useless.
This was in 2006. He is still however, full of shit.
Junot Diaz, oscar de la rents, incoming congresssman Adriano espaillat. Various artist friends and professors.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jeff-sessions-dominican-immigrants_us_582f9d14e4b030997bbf8ded

Good news is, he hasn't been confirmed. Better news, if I remember correctly, Reagan tried to get him confirmed and he got denied.
So there's a chance it won't happen.....I hope.

Wow! Where do you work?

Next to the New York Times building basically. It's the building that houses the Graduate CUNY Journalism.

Edit: Looks like it's backed off. I was able to get in to the building. But there are security and ambulances all around. Apparently he was supposed to meet with the NYT but ended up cancelling with them.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Next to the New York Times building basically. It's the building that houses the Graduate CUNY Journalism.

Edit: Looks like it's backed off. I was able to get in to the building. But there are security and ambulances all around. Apparently he was supposed to meet with the NYT but ended up cancelling with them.

Maybe he had his fill of yelling at the media the other day.

Lulubop

Had a date at the iPic in Fidi last night. Shit was pretty dope.

So today is a big party day, eh? Well I'm definitely trying to get out

Top Bottom