• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Jhoan

Since I got home from Jersey on the late side, I'll spearhead that ABC Co. one for next month. I'm too lazy to make a thread (not really) but if a thread is wanted, then a thread shall be made quick and dirty. I'm thinking the 18th of December.

I'm going to be in the West Village next Wednesday for a post-Doc NYC volunteer after party event. We're seeing a free movie at the IFC Center then hitting up the Half-Pint to celebrate and network.

December is looking dry for me in terms of volunteer/event gigs so I'll be taking it easy next month and look forward to the GAF Secret Santa gift buying. I'm going to apply to be a background extra for movies and TV shows around the city. Central Casting is the name of the company/website if anyone is interested.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Friend came in from out of town so we did the Vault 13 escape the room. I don't think the puzzles were that intricate or complicated, but it definitely exploits the theme.

Definitely recommend it if you dig Fallout. Only way they could improve it is if they played some Ink Spots while you enter.

Lulubop

That was fun

I always get absolutely trashed at these things. Don't be like Lulubop

Shout outs to Kimoto rooftoo bar for giving me a free wings and a beer for some reason.

I owe you some drinks Marcus

Penguin

I was gonna say Lulu has a drinking problem, but dude can handle his booze like a champ. And still grab women. Another GAF meet-up turned date.

DUMBO is a dump for like bars and stuff, but 68 Jay wasn't too bad. Nice, relaxing vibe.

Next time we meet-up, we need to make sure we price out Whiskey Sour prices for numbers or you'll hear about it.

Kimoto was a really nice rooftop bar. Not great for a meet-up since can't hear people drink, but for a small group or date, not bad.

Pedro's isn't that great

Penguin

Since I got home from Jersey on the late side, I'll spearhead that ABC Co. one for next month. I'm too lazy to make a thread (not really) but if a thread is wanted, then a thread shall be made quick and dirty. I'm thinking the 18th of December.

I'm going to be in the West Village next Wednesday for a post-Doc NYC volunteer after party event. We're seeing a free movie at the IFC Center then hitting up the Half-Pint to celebrate and network.

December is looking dry for me in terms of volunteer/event gigs so I'll be taking it easy next month and look forward to the GAF Secret Santa gift buying. I'm going to apply to be a background extra for movies and TV shows around the city. Central Casting is the name of the company/website if anyone is interested.

I believe a thread should be made since not everyone frequents Community, and can get lurkers too

Jhoan

I just saw Ariana Huffington since she's into the pop up store I've been helping install stuff at on 419 Broome Street today. The store is opening on December 1st. Her company, Thrive Global is the name of her new company spearheading a "curated experience" of products including VR stuff, watches, her sleep book, a second book that she wrote, and beds. My friend hooked me up with a set-up gig. She's pretty cool.

RE The meet up: I'll make the thread some time between tonight and tomorrow. Quick and dirty is the name of the game; add stuff later to OP.

Penguin

I just saw Ariana Huffington since she's into the pop up store I've been helping install stuff at on 419 Broome Street today. The store is opening on December 1st. Her company, Thrive Global is the name of her new company spearheading a "curated experience" of products including VR stuff, watches, her sleep book, and beds. My friend hooked me up with a set-up gig. She's pretty cool.

RE The meet up: I'll make the thread some time between tonight and tomorrow. Quick and dirty is the name of the game; add stuff later to OP.

May I suggest something like the ABCs of NYC?

Jhoan

Sorry for the DP. It looks like Ivanka Trump is inside the store outside the Broadway-Lafayette station because a bunch of protesters have signs that start off with Dear Ivanka e.g. "Dear Ivanka, Putin is using your dad" and "Dear Ivanka, Ban Jeff Sessions."

They're holding up LED candles and chanting what sounds like "No daddy, no." Two little kids are joining in on the chant. It's peaceful even though they have a good chunk of the sidewalk occupied while they go around in circles like sharks. Cops are patrolling and keeping watch from a van on the opposite corner.Sidenote: I overheard some cops saying that they have to work 17 hours.

Jhoan

Where's our thread at!

Been procrastinating son. I will encourage you to make the thread by all means. I have to head out soon and to be honest I would rather let someone else handle organizing duties for a change. I'll handle the graphics if you want.

Penguin

Been procrastinating son. I will encourage you to make the thread by all means. I have to head out soon and to be honest I would rather let someone else handle organizing duties for a change. I'll handle the graphics if you want.

I don't wanna organize... comes with all them responsibilities!

Jhoan

I don't wanna organize... comes with all them responsibilities!
Hahaha, well someone has to do it. I can have it up by tomorrow but I'm going to pass the torch for next year's meetups for sure. I want to go back to the days where it was someone new organizing it. I was thinking about taking a voluntary ban from GAF for a couple of months next year.I want to see who steps up in my absence.

Penguin

Hahaha, well someone has to do it. I can have it up by tomorrow but I'm going to pass the torch for next year's meetups for sure. I want to go back to the days where it was someone new organizing it. I was thinking about taking a voluntary ban from GAF for a couple of months next year.I want to see who steps up in my absence.

I'll do the thread, but not gonna follow all your words!

When did we decide on doing this?

Jhoan

I'll do the thread, but not gonna follow all your words!

When did we decide on doing this?
Thanks! I'm not quite sure what you mean by that but okay. Really I'm just a terrible procrastinator.

I proposed 12/17 since it would be one week before Christmas. I doubt anyone would be down to come out on Christmas Eve let alone New Year's Eve although I personally wouldn't mind since I don't anything special on New Year's. But of course, I can't speak for everyone there.

Just signed a lease on my first apartment!

It's a medium-sized studio in Harlem. Turns out it's rent stabalized—I actually didn't know this ahead of time!

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Why I don't go beyond 40th until the new Year

Made the mistake of going to Rockefeller a few times for amiibo last year

*Cries*

Yeah, I'm right at ground zero. Rockefeller Center, Radio City Music Hall...it definitely brings out the New York in you.

Jhoan

Welp, I have a loaded socializing deck next week. Got invited to a dude's birthday party at a bar in DUMBO next Monday night and a karaoke thing benefiting Standing Rock; planning to go to Drink N Draw NYC on Wednesday night after a two month hiatus; I got invited to a holiday party next Thursday to be honored as part of a collective award, the Adam Vineski Award for Community Service next Thursday night for volunteering at Taste WG.

I'm stunned about the latter event and to be honest, it's making me a bit misty eyed because I don't think I would ever be recognized for anything this year. Well...no, I'm being too hard on myself since I've attended many volunteer thank you parties this year.

All this on top still needing to get and send out my GAF Secret Santa gift next week and the GAF meet up on Saturday plus exchanging gifts with a good friend of mines. Oh and I have a date tonight. The wind howling out there is making me dread walking around so I'm going to quadruple layer it. I have no real plan other than to meet up at Union Square and get some happy hour drinks. At least it will be a good excuse to hold hands if I'm feeling the girl! Thankfully I have some paychecks coming next week from some gigs but why does everything want my money this month? /First World Problems rant

On another note, in case Penguin wants to throw this into the meet up thread. NYU is hosting a BQE's and Betas event at Brooklyn Brewery at 6PM next Friday:

You’ll get to try your hand at some of the most innovative and exciting new games from the NYU Game Center and be among the first to taste a new beer from Brooklyn Brewery.

I'm damn near tempted to check it out. Who knows? Austin Walker and Danielle Riendeau might pop in. I did some art of a few Vice peeps during Waypoint's 72 hour stream that I've been meaning to give to them.

I always brown bag it, food's expensive. Only really eat out if I'm forced to.

I'm just making light of your comment. Purchasing food to eat in midtown is very unreasonable. Me and the wife try to cook two big dishes on Sunday evenings to have for lunch throughout the week. It saves a lot of money. Week day breakfast usually is three hard boiled eggs and/or a bagel with cream cheese. Sometimes with an added smoothie.

Jhoan, you have a lot of energy to be able to do all of that.

Took a walk around union square to get some wreaths and I'm bombarded by stupid Santacon horseshit. I'm sure the event has its fans and from what I read there is charity involved but a lot of the time people just end up piss drunk and vomit all over the damn place.

Had to go to the flower district for wreaths (25 bucks for a nice one) but it was a nice walk despite the chilly temps.

[Agent]ZeroNine;226358125 said:
I'm just making light of your comment. Purchasing food to eat in midtown is very unreasonable. Me and the wife try to cook two big dishes on Sunday evenings to have for lunch throughout the week. It saves a lot of money. Week day breakfast usually is three hard boiled eggs and/or a bagel with cream cheese. Sometimes with an added smoothie.

Yep. I just grocery shop and prepare stuff the night or morning of for my two jobs. No way in hell I'm eating into my profit margins by either eating outside or buying food from the Radio City Music Hall cafeteria.

Jhoan

[Agent]ZeroNine;226358125 said:
More like I'm insane asking to be stressed out! I put up a few things up for sale on eBay to add to the madness. Going to the post office this weekend is going to be a treat (read: not fun). It's a good thing I'm not organizing this GAF meetup because it would have been too much for me to handle.
Took a walk around union square to get some wreaths and I'm bombarded by stupid Santacon horseshit. I'm sure the event has its fans and from what I read there is charity involved but a lot of the time people just end up piss drunk and vomit all over the damn place.

Had to go to the flower district for wreaths (25 bucks for a nice one) but it was a nice walk despite the chilly temps.
I laughed a good bit at this. Pics or it didn't happen! My boss spoke to the guy who founded it off camera last year and said that he looks like an average dude. He spoke to one of the organizers who goes by the name of Jacqueline Frost on camera and it looked like quite the crowd. The diversity of the people on camera made it seem like it was skewed towards frat boys and sorority girls from Long Island. I like to think it would have been fun to photograph or sketch some drunk Santas.

Jhoan

[Agent]ZeroNine;226466862 said:
So what's the status of the meetup?

It's still alive and happening last time I checked. Although there's a 50% chance of rain/snow for Saturday according to the Nation Weather Service. I'm writing a post now then will log off since I've been procrastinating on a comic review article that I've been writing on and off.

number47

can't make saturday. got another crew thing to attend. maybe 12/24 . hoping for empty bars on the eve. for the non holiday folks.

Jhoan

I'm not opposed to the idea of going out on the 24th much to my mom's dismay. Considering that Christmas Eve at my place is typically comprised of a big dinner with alcohol flowing and my immediate family members, it's nothing special. At least NYC is not Boston where restaurants and bars would be understaffed on any given day of the week other than the weekend.

I found out that there's a Reddit meetup this upcoming weekend as well on the topic of meetups in other communities.

Top Bottom